• 1 Post By WoodGuy
  • 2 Post By BikerPepe`
  • 1 Post By trustyrusty
  • 2 Post By klh95bronco

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1991 SA
Windshield Wipers Stutter

The other day it was raining like hell and I'm using the wipers and they are stuttering on the windshield. The wipers were fairly new and the windshield was clean. I use Rain-X on the windshield and I can see most of the water beading and blowing off but does Rain-X leave the surface of the glass with something that causes the wipers to stutter? Most annoying.......

91 Bronco 5.8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 09:37 AM

Bronco Info: 91 XLT 5.8 All Stock
No personal experience with Rain-X, dont see that much use for it here in SoCal, but an old trick Dad taught me many years ago when the wiper blades stuttered was to clean the windshield with a mixture of vinegar and water with a few drops of alcohol and dry it with newspaper. I think the newspaper is key, because I'm usually in a hurry and dont take the time to mix up the concoction and just use Windex and newspaper with good results
trustyrusty likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 09:45 AM

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
Garage
Yo Leo,
As WoodGuy advised!
And I use dollar stores (price check!) alcohol pads to clean the blades.

See my partially recovered Bronco web site. Thanks to Mr. Schwim!
Navy & DoD (retired) ... THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
Please Participate & VOTE in our Full-Size of the Month (F.O.T.M.) & Full-Size of the Year (F.O.T.Y.) Contests[/B] @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/27-f-o-t-m-voting/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 01:49 PM
Retired Staff

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/E4OD/MassAir/6" lift/4.56's/33x12.5 GYW DuraTracs
Garage
Depending on your weather conditions, people will some times try and use wiper blades to remove snow off the windshield after parking over night. This can cause the blades to "twist" from the weight/resistance and puts the blades at a less than 90 degree angle against the windshield and will cause the blade to "hop", "skip" or "stutter" going in a single direction but usually, not both. IF that's the case for you, you'll need to twist the blade arm so the blade is sitting at 90 degrees to the windshield surface again.

This may or may not apply to your situation but it wasn't mentioned, so I thought I'd throw it out there. Good luck.
trustyrusty and APachon71 like this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 10:52 PM

Bronco Info: driving a 78 rusty piece o crap owned 23 yrs, and working on another 78 bronco,mint,460
Garage
[quote=BikerPepe`;7169884. This can cause the blades to "twist" from the weight/resistance and puts the blades at a less than 90 degree angle against the windshield and will cause the blade to "hop", "skip" or "stutter" going in a single direction but usually, not both. IF that's the case for you, you'll need to twist the blade arm so the blade is sitting at 90 degrees to the windshield surface again.

This may or may not apply to your situation but it wasn't mentioned, so I thought I'd throw it out there. Good luck.[/quote]

agree with Pepe here, did it to my 79 yesterday and no more chatter
I use 2 small adjustable wrenches and gently twist the wiper arm until the chatter is gone
also the news paper cleaning works great,i think it sort of polishes the glass the same way a clay helps paint
BikerPepe` likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 08:16 PM

Bronco Info: 1994 All Original, 1978 Bronco XLT Ranger, 2010 F150 SuperCrew FX2
Garage
Who knows what the wiper arms have been thru in 40 years. I've used rain x for years and swear by it.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 08:41 PM

Bronco Info: 1994 5.8 XLT in need of TLC
Both my F250 and Bronco have this problem. I've tried everything to cure it without success, and I wonder if the springs in the arms have just got tired?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 08:45 PM
MARBLE GARGLER!

Bronco Info: '90 xlt 351w E40D Truetrac I GOT ROLLER ROCKERS !
you need to replace the bushings in the wiper arm mechanism, they are worn.

"I got roller rockers" DAMMIT!!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 01:37 PM

Bronco Info: 1994 5.8 XLT in need of TLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 351w500 View Post
you need to replace the bushings in the wiper arm mechanism, they are worn.
Thanks, I'll look into that.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 11:40 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1995 EB 302, E40D auto trans, 4.11 grs, locker on rear diff. man. hubs, 3' body lift, 35" Toyo tires
Garage
I finally got the lead out and fixed my wiper stutter problem. For about a year I suspected my issue was the wiper arms under the cowl.

I opened her up and pulled out the old arms and inspected them. This is what I found....

I installed the new wiper arms and now my wipers are as tight as a new vehicle. No squeak, chatter or stutter at all. Very nice and smooth wiper action now.

I ordered the complete wiper arm assembly. Item 3 and 4 on this page Truck Parts and Truck Accessories

But you could get away with just replacing the bushings and fix that problem too, and for much less. It is item 6 on the page linked above.

BikerPepe` and APachon71 like this.

2nd: A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Kenneth
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1991 SA
I would suspect that the kind of wear that klh95bronco has displayed would be prevalent on a vehicle with high mileage. I doubt this is the problem that I'm having. It appears if the wiper blades are new and the windshield is clean all is well. After the wiper blades are say 6 months old the BS starts. And it doesn't matter how expensive the blades are, they all seem to age and become dried out quickly.....

91 Bronco 5.8
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 10:07 AM

Bronco Info: '96 EB, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356E, 3.55 LSD, Warn Hubs
Garage
I quit playing the Rain-X game of having to retreat my windshield every week or two. I've been using a windshield treatment that was called Auqapel in past years and has been rebranded as Trico View.
TRICO View® Glass Treatment® | TRICO® Windshield Wipers
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...472585&jsn=299
Not only does this last for over 6 months with rain, it also makes removing ice and bugs off of the windshield easier. It also helps with the wiper blade chatter / shudder even with good blades and wiper arm bushings.

'96 Eddie Bauer, leather, 5.8L, 3.55 LSD, Bilstein 4600's, DC TC EXP 33x12.5x15, K&N stock replacement, 460 intake tube, Warn hubs.
They call me Dave. FSBI 2019
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 10:22 AM

Bronco Info: 1995 5.8 Eddie Bauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruners4 View Post
I quit playing the Rain-X game of having to retreat my windshield every week or two. I've been using a windshield treatment that was called Auqapel in past years and has been rebranded as Trico View.
TRICO View® Glass Treatment® | TRICO® Windshield Wipers
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...472585&jsn=299
Not only does this last for over 6 months with rain, it also makes removing ice and bugs off of the windshield easier. It also helps with the wiper blade chatter / shudder even with good blades and wiper arm bushings.
I used to use the Rain-X that you had to manually apply to the windshield every week or two until I switched to the windshield washer fluid with Rain-X in it. It works great, a couple of squirts every 10-15 minutes or so and I literally don't need my wipers on the highway. The gallon jug will last me a whole season. I use the Deicer one in the winter and the bug removal one in the spring/summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode