• 2 Post By tnpete
  • 2 Post By tnpete
  • 1 Post By fordbronco1995

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1989 Eddie Bauer
Garage
Messed up door striker today.

Man I messed up both door strikers and tailgate today. Yes picked up the Dorman Striker Bushings P/N 38424. Had all 4 installed in less then 5 minutes. But when I shut the doors or tailgate. Its just wrong, man did I screw up?

Now when I shut the doors or tailgate. Its shuts so easy and soft. Wheres that hollow ring I used to have. All 4 strikers on my 89 Bronco. Has less wear then our 2015 Ram has. And you would think that little mark on each. Would not be the issue.
But now doors and tailgate shut like new. When you go to open the doors. You don't even feel it release anymore. Unreal what $5. and 5 minutes can do to a 30 year old door strike.
miesk5 and Weber like this.

1989 Bronco Eddie Bauer
5.0 engine
80,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:59 PM

Bronco Info: 1995 5.8 Eddie Bauer
I got that the Dorman Striker Bushings P/N 38424 sucked for you, but what did you do to make the doors work so great?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYFSB View Post
I got that the Dorman Striker Bushings P/N 38424 sucked for you, but what did you do to make the doors work so great?
Sorry was just kidding on the Dorman striker being the issue. When I installed those, the doors act new now. Wish I had taken a video of before and after. Unreal how much those bushings helped out.
I wonder if the other owner had cut the bushings off the strikers? Being the factory strikers all look great?
Never looked before to see if they were on there from the factory. But guess they were and he cut the old ones off.

For the price this is a great project. And man its nice having 30 year old doors that shut like new.

Also there's 2 different kits, one I'm told is junk. While the 38424 must be the good kit? As it sure works good.
NYFSB and EMO42 like this.

1989 Bronco Eddie Bauer
5.0 engine
80,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 07:50 PM

Bronco Info: 95 Ox White/Blue Int 5.8L 2Ē Level 33" Ridge Grapplers 17x9 M/T Classic IIIs Punisher Valve Body
No more rattling doors going down the road lol
tnpete likes this.

EVERYTHING MANUAL EXCEPT THE TRANSMISSION
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordbronco1995 View Post
No more rattling doors going down the road lol
Mine was not that bad. But did not shut tight, now like new.

1989 Bronco Eddie Bauer
5.0 engine
80,000 miles
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 10:47 PM

Bronco Info: 1978 Round headlight, havenít decided T19 9" R, 44F/1991, 445 FE, t19, 205, Dana 60/70, MAF, Moet's
Garage
I have seen upgrades for those that are stainless but I would not live long enough to justify the price. I wonder if they make the plastic sleeves out of Teflon now and maybe they last longer? For some reason the Ford strikers seen to wear fast? Even my 05 SD strikers rattle, just donít care that much.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 05:04 AM
Retired Staff

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/MassAir/E4OD/6" lift/4.56's/33x12.5 GYW DuraTracs
Garage
I disagree. My Dad recently had to swap out the drivers side striker for busted plastic liner. Ordered up from LMC, slapped it on and "happy day". Prompted me to check out the other Fords and most are in great condition for their age, including the ones on the '73 F250.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 08:05 AM
Man of endless projects

Bronco Info: 96-Bronco 88-Bronco 90-F250
Garage
i got sick of replacing the Dorman bushings so often. they wear out pretty fast. and on a couple trucks it seems like they are alittle big to where its hard to open the door or tailgate. since im a plumber, what i do is cut a short piece of 1/2" copper piping the length of the bushing, ream one end, wrap the bolt in jsut enough electrical tape to get the copper to fit snug. it pretty much never wears out and is a softer metal so should not wear out the latch. its alittle smaller OD so they close pretty much effortlessly but dont have any slop onless you really put some force into it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode