Dash Removal Chiltons and Haynes SUCK - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1990 XL 351
Dash Removal Chiltons and Haynes SUCK

Ok i'm stuck... Ive got all of the dash bolts removed and the whole thing is resting on the steering whell shaft, but it all gets caught on the gauge cluster and heater/AC controls. How do i disconnect this crap? i need to do the heater/AC unit in a way that does not destroy them as I want to re-use them later. I don't care about the dash gauges but i don't want to screw them up too bad because i'd like to be able to trace the wiring and such so i can easily (yeah, right) install the new ones in the new dash.

I know, do a search. i did. nobody else seems to be ripping their dash out except crawler, and he didn't do a step-by-step pics. Sooooo

Heeeeelp!

"When, oh when will my Bronco be done? Oh when, oh when will it be..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

25 views and not one suggestion? not even "hit it with a BFH" or "Pull out the sawzall and start guttin" or even "Plasma cutter and a jackhammer"? god, i thought i would at least get flamed for this...

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 10:57 PM
Banned

Bronco Info: '83 VIN & title on '93 frame/body w/'95 4.9L & EB paint
Have you pulled the bezels from around the cluster & A/C controls? You should see the screws holding them in. Remove them. You might have to remove the wheel, &/or lower the column.

Howzat?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 11:52 PM
FSB warrior

Bronco Info: was an 81, GT-40P, NP-435, NP208, 36s, 0" lift
and your not gonna be able to trace the wiring, a big connector on the back of the cluster plugs in (I think its got 20 wires) and they all do there own thing but its like a circuit board in the cluster. Even your Turn signal lights and Hi beam indicator are like that.

you definatly have to remove the front bezels and disconnect the HVAC stuff and cluster from the dash.

1BadBronco
was a81 Bronco Custom. Sold See my superford link for how I built her!
NOW83 F-250 6.9L IDI, built C-6 1345 D44HD and D70 rear with 3.55 gears. Sag pump, hydroboost, 3G, SD vacuum pump, bumpers, 34" swampers
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

All of the bezels are off so is the radio, ashtray, glove compartment, plastic cover on gauges etc. If i wanted to roll back the odometer right now i could do it. What is holding the gauges in? And how does one disconnect the wires to the back of the heating / AC controls? one of the arms connects to a wire and is sleaved and disappears somewhere into the engine compartment (i think, i cant really see) The dash is not connected by anything other that the gauge clusters and the H/AC controls. How does one get the gauges out? and disconnect the Heat/AC controls?

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 02:14 AM
Banned

Put the clear plastic lens back on the cluster and take out the 4 screws in the WHITE plastic, just outside the lens. IIRC, they're T20.

If you remove the 4 screws from the HVAC panel, you'll be able to turn it to release the wiring & cables. The cable sleeves clip to the white frame, and when they're released, you can unhook the cable ends from the levers.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

They are T20 and they have been removed. Maybe i'm just dumb but what kind of wiring hook-ups are behind the gauges? It feels like its caught on something. It moves but then feels like its caught on wires going in to the back of the gauge cluster. but i cant see...

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 11:38 AM

Bronco Info: 1987 Bronco XLT 4x4, C-6 Tranny, 4.9L Engine
Have you disconnected the speedometer cable yet? I had that problem with my mustang a few years ago and that was the problem keeping the cluster from coming out far enough to unplug the other gauge harnesses.

Also I had to lower the steering column to get the complete dash out, but I am not sure if that has to be done on a bronco though. Also check from the under side of the dash to see if any wiring is being caught up against something.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 12:04 PM

Bronco Info: 78 Bronco Ranger H/D Axles with a 460
did you pop the harness clips under the cluster

78 Bronco with 40's, H/D axles & a 460 and still stuck most of the time

http://www.xt4x4.com/main/index.php

http://www.supermotors.org/users/big460bronco67
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 01:33 PM
Banned

It's probably the speedo cable that's keeping you from getting the cluster out far enough to get at the connectors. Look under the truck & make sure all the slack is pushed forward, then pull it up by the brake pedal & try again at pulling the cluster out. To release the speedo cable from the cluster, push the large white plastic collar down, then back.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 02:15 AM

Bronco Info: 1985 XLT 429 CJ going in, also have !st Gen Broncos
If anybody is researching this and wants to know what was holding the dash on after everything else gave up it's death grip, ABOVE the steering column on the aluminum piece that the steering column bolts up to, is a hidden from behind screw in the middle. Even once you pry like hell and if you are lucky don't break anything and get that screw out, THE DASH STILL WON'T come out. It is then you lift the entire mess straight up and gently pull towards you that it all finally comes apart. At least on my '85. The wiring harness is blind bolted to the dash backside in a couple of places also. Go SLOW and don't get upset. It is by FAR the WORST engineered dash setup for removal that I have ever seen. Extremely over complicated, with fragile, brittle, thin long plastic flopping around. When I get mine back together I will use zip ties to hold the harness where it needs to be, and none of it will be connected to the dash or housing.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 04:41 PM

Bronco Info: 88, 460 ,37 mtr's , roll cage
are you removeing the cluster(gages) or are you removeing the dash if you are removeing the dash remove the plastic panel below your stering wheelpull both kick panels and undo any wireing behind there go out open hood take a 10mm socket and remove the wiring plug(main wiring plug that goes in to truck) unsnap plug and push it in to truck. go to in side of truck pull the plastic cover off of the stering colum and unhook the gage cluster from there after that is done goand take the four torx bolts from the top of the dash out and then there should be 4 maybe 5 bolts on the bottom out. now go to the stering colum and undo the 2 bolts there and set the sterring wheel in to the seat and there is one more that attches the metal fram of the dash broad to the sterring support

unhook cables at heater box and the it should just lift out . oh and behind the parking brake ther is one wire for the brakes hope that that helps
sorry the pic is not that good but thereis a blue arrow pointing at that bolt in the dash

88 bronco sas dana 60, 203 205 tcase injected 460, c6 trans 37" goodyear mtr full roll cage custom made back bumper
http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/4737
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 10:42 PM
Banned

rlevs
His '85 wiring harness doesn't have a firewall connector like yours, and your '88 dash is totally different.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 03:24 PM
Forward Some Money

Bronco Info: '89 Bronco, 5.8, MAF, Summit shorties, Bassani SS, AOD, Tru-trac posi, Stocker
check here:

http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/...y/media/281603

you may find some other useful pics there. It's not a step-by-step, just soem useful pics for my own reference.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 11:37 PM

Bronco Info: 1980 XLT 351M, C6
Steve 83 You're the MAN!! I've been working on this for a while..The speedo cable disconnected easily once I knew what to do; thanks to you! I assume installation is just the reverse, in and up?
Thanks again,
Mark
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 12:08 AM
Banned

The cable end locks automatically when you push it into the back of the speedo. Look at them while it's apart & you'll unnerstan.

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 05:06 PM

Bronco Info: I have an 88 fullsize bronco custom 302 fuel injected with 3spd on the column 4x4
I am new to this site i have an 88 Bronco custom 302 fuel injected with a 3spd on the column and i have been trying for wks on how to get my dashboard off my 88 bronco so that i can repaint it a diff color and I came along this on the site and read it all, you guys helped me out and gave me A better Picture of what i need to do now, if there is anymore helpful tips you all can give me conserning my 88 bronco cbecause i am remodling it feel free to add me or w/e you like, like i said im new to this site and its hard to figure out but i would love to have people who know more about broncos on my profile to help me out when i need it...Thank you Guys again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode