How to safely change your oil (Not 56K friendly) - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 03:56 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1994 XLT 5.0, MSD coil/cap/rotor, SpiroPro wires, Ford Racing tranny cooler, PermaCool filter, 3G
How to safely change your oil (Not 56K friendly)

So, I was asked to do a "Changing your oil safely" writeup. Well, sort of. I made a comment about safety on another member's thread, and got this in return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedinhere View Post
I would be glad if people like you stayed away from me and my threads. Shouldnt you be writing a sticky about the safe way to change oil?
So, here it is, as requested:

First off, get yourself some oil. This is what I use. I buy it at Walmart, `cause that's the cheapest.

(Note: I do NOT want to hear anything about which oil to use. You get to decide that yourself, there are a million threads on it. Please don't bring it into this thread.)

Now, that's only 5 quarts, and spec on our trucks says 6 quarts with filter change, so get an extra quart.

You'll need a filter, too. I get them two at a time, because my external transmission filter uses the same one, and I change that when I change my oil. I'll cover that when I get the "changing your transmission fluid and filter" thread done.

Here's the part number:

Note: The Motorcraft FL-1A fits all of our motors, unless you have the oil cooler that's sandwiched between the filter and the block on yours. Then you need a different, shorter filter. You'll need to find that part number yourself. (Edit: According to seemoremud, that part number is Motorcraft 820-S.)

As part of the safety regimen, I wear disposable gloves. Motor oil isn't the nicest thing to have on your skin, and gloves just keep everything cleaner. They also help with grip on oily stuff. These are from Harbor Freight, about $9 a box of 100.

I use this large oil drain pan. I think it holds something like 5 gallons of oil, and it has a spot to sit the filter to drain, and a grate to keep you from dropping your drain plug into the pan. That's a really nice feature, IMO. It also has a pour spout, so you can dump the oil out into jugs for recycling. I got it at Murray's, which is a Michigan chain like Schucks or Kragen.

First step, warm up the truck. Hot oil flows better than cold oil, and we want to get as much of the old oil out as possible, so get the engine up to operating temperature.

Once it's warmed up, shut it down, and remove the oil filler cap to vent some air into the crankcase, to allow the oil to drain as quickly as possible. I usually pull up the dipstick too, but I couldn't really tell you why.

Slide under the truck, and position your drain pan. Notice that it's not centered under the drain plug. This is because the oil will shoot sideways almost a foot when you take the plug out, and you need to make sure your pan extends far enough to catch it. (Edit: According to Shadofax's picture, some drain plugs point straight down, which will prevent the sideways shot mentioned above, but I'll bet it splashes pretty good.)

Edit: Along those lines, be sure to wear safety goggles to keep any splashed oil and rust and such out of your eyes. (I can't believe I forgot to mention that. Thanks for the reminder, amtarsha. I'm going to go with the excuse that since I always wear safety goggles when I'm under the truck, I just assumed everyone did. Yeah, that's it.)

Safety note: If you're going under the truck, make sure it's in park (or reverse if a stick), with the parking brake on, and I'll even chock a wheel. I don't lift it to do an oil change, because I don't need to, I fit fine. I'm 6'1", 280 pounds, so just about anyone should fit just fine, unless they are running really small tires (I run 31s). If you do need to lift it, use jackstands on a solid surface. If you're not on concrete, put a foot-square chunk of plywood under each jackstand, so they don't sink in. NEVER get under a vehicle held up by a jack. Jack seals can fail at any time, quickly or slowly. You *really* don't want to find yourself trapped under a slowly sinking vehicle, knowing that you can't survive the last 2 inches of drop that are coming. That would be a horrible way to go.

Throw a wrench on that drain plug. Mine happens to be a 15mm, I think. It's a standard right-hand thread.

After you break loose the plug, you should be able to set the wrench aside and turn it out by hand. As you get near the end of the bolt, it will begin leaking oil. Pressing in on the plug as you turn it out will slow that leak to a trickle, but still be careful not to get burned. (I've had it run down my sleeve before, which is annoying.)

When you have the plug ready to come out, get ready for a gusher. Keep your hands out of the way. This is also where the earlier positioning of the drain pan really matters. I usually drop the plug on the pan now, since it's fairly hot.

After the gush has completed, it'll dribble like this for a while. Notice that it's going backwards from the direction of the gusher, so you may have to adjust your pan placement. Let it drain for a while.

While it's draining, it's a good time to grease the front suspension. Attach your grease gun to every zirk fitting you can find, and pump until clean grease comes out of the boot. My truck only has zirks on the steering gear, 2 on the TREs and 2 more where the pitman arm connects and the weird TTB split drag link thingy is. My ball joints are all sealed, so no fittings there. YMMV.

This is the grease I was using when I took these pictures. I use Mobil 1 now.

Once the dribble has slowed or stopped, wipe the hole clean with a rag, clean off the drain plug, and put it back in. THIS IS AN IMPORTANT STEP! Not putting in the drain plug is a common newbie mistake, and causes forehead damage when you smack yourself while holding a wrench, not to mention it wastes oil. Don't crank the plug in super-tight, either. You don't need to, and you'll just strip out the threads in the oilpan, and that's no fun at all. Check in your Haynes manual, but I think 10 ft-lbs or so is plenty. You just want it not to leak, and not to back out on its own.

Once the plug is back in, you can get to changing the filter. It's most easily reached and manipulated from above, especially if you have a nice tire step like this.

Climbing up on the step, leaning over the engine (with my fender cover protecting the fender from the belt buckle of doom), you see this:

There's the filter, easy to get to now. Now we need to re-adjust the location of the drain pan. If you get back under and take a look at your front differential, you'll be able to see where the oil comes down and soaks it. Adjust your drain pan accordingly.

Then go back up top, reach in, and unscrew the filter. It's a standard right-hand thread.

If you can't turn it by hand, that means you put it on too tight last time, and you'll need to use an oil filter wrench. There are several kinds of oil filter wrenches, but unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of them in use, because I don't put my filters on that tightly. I'll try to get some shots of various types of wrenches and how to use them.

When you unscrew the filter, it's going to dump some oil onto your re-positioned drain pan (edit: according to Shadofax, a properly positioned rag can control the oil coming out of the filter, and keep things cleaner. I'll have to give that a try), and then you'll be able to turn it open-side up and remove it through the top of the engine compartment. (Careful, it'll have oil on it, and be slippery. Dropping it will make a big mess. Don't do that.) Draining it out into the pan is easy, then. The oil released when you unscrewed it will still make a bit of a mess, though. You'll want to wipe that up with a rag, and wipe the filter mount clean as well. (Edit: an important point that I missed, pointed out by coloranger, is that you need to make sure that the filter gasket came off with the old filter. If it sticks to the block and you install a new filter over it, it'll make a huge leak. Check that while you clean off the filter mount. If you do find it stuck on the filter mount, it probably means that you didn't oil the gasket the last time you changed the filter, or that you cranked it on way too tightly.)

Once you've got the old filter off and everything cleaned up, you need to prepare the gasket on the new filter with some new oil. Open up your jug (or one of your quarts) and get a bit of oil on the end of your finger. Smear that all over the gasket on the new filter. Make sure you cover every bit of it.

Then, just reach in and spin it back on. After the filter gasket contacts the filter mount, you need at most another quarter to half turn. NEVER USE AN OIL FILTER WRENCH TO INSTALL A FILTER, ONLY USE YOUR HAND! This is important! It only needs to go on tight enough not to leak.

Now you've got the truck completely drained, the plug back in, and a new filter in place, so you are ready to put a funnel in the oil fill and start filling it back up. Put 5 quarts in to start.

Once you've got 5 quarts in (and you've checked that you remembered to put the drain plug back in and a new filter on), go ahead and fire up the engine. After no more than 10 seconds, you should see oil pressure on your pressure gauge (or fancy idiot light, depending on the year of your Bronco).

(Note: If you DON'T get oil pressure after 10 seconds, shut down immediately and check your oil level, make sure you didn't screw something up. Try again, once you are certain that there is oil in the crank case. It should come up to pressure quickly.)

After you get good oil pressure, shut it down and let it sit for a few minutes while you check for leaks around the drain plug and filter, then check your oil level.

Top off the oil with the extra (sixth) quart that you bought. You might need the whole thing, you might not.

Yeah! You're done! Write down the mileage, date, and type of oil and filter in your maintenance log, and keep an eye out for leaks for the next few drives. Check your oil level every couple of drives, as well.

There are other options, too. Some people will dump a can of Seafoam in the crankcase 100 miles or so before they drop the oil, to help clean deposits out of the engine. I do that every now and then, but not every time. The synthetic oil keeps stuff surprisingly clean anyway.

This last picture is just to give an idea of how many gloves I go through trying to keep my camera clean while shooting this stuff.

--
Sandy

Last edited by sewiv; 11-18-2007 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Adding information provided by other members.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 09:25 AM
Former owner of Shadofax

Bronco Info: 95XLT351 E4OD SAS 44/ARB/Alloy shafts-joints. D60 rear/Detroit. 4wheel disc,35" KO2's, 4.56etc.
very good.

And you even covered the shorter filter needed for us with the supercooling.

I admit I run out of gloves and then don't buy any for some time, and with oil changes that's bad. I think they have concluded that prolonged contact with skin and used oil can lead to skin cancer, and since this is a safety thread....

I also did not realize not all drain plugs point straight down like mine as yours clearly pisses sideways.....you can just see my staight shooter in the top right of this pic:

OH, I also have figured out just how to lay an old rag under the filter so that oil does not go dripping all over the diff.

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 10:08 AM
F.O.T.Y. 2003

Bronco Info: '89 XLT SAS ~'78 Ranger, '90 Eddie
Garage
Great Writeup, especially the safety stuff about not working under a vehicle supported by a floor jack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 10:23 AM
Banned

Bronco Info: 96 XLT 302/E4OD & 90 EB 302/AOD
hahah, I like even the most simple write ups.

When I add the oil, I don't start it up till I put all of the oil in it. Mine usually takes 5.5qts.

Oh and your oil pan looks new, did you just replace it?
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 10:46 AM

Bronco Info: 2 - 1990 Full Size 351w, e4od ,1356, 3.55, 8.8 W/Aussie, Tbird E fan, 3G alt, 3" lift, 2" springs
If your really good at this, you can dump a little new oil in the filter and then put it back on the block without losing any oil.

I add 1/4 quart in my filter from my loose bottle like you buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDAILY View Post
My buddy was the one who said, "lets see how deep that is".
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 10:55 AM

Bronco Info: '91 Ext. cab p/u, no bed, D60s, 37s, lots of sheetmetal damage
Good writeup

And that shorter filter in Motocraft is # 820-S

When you have time, you have no money - When you have money, you have no time
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 12:13 PM

Bronco Info: 1978 Bronco XLT, 408, 1-ton axles, doubler, 37" Tires on H2 rims
NOTE--- Make sure that when you remove the old filter off that the old seal came with it. The old seal will sometimes "stick" to the block. If you don't check you will put the new filter on/ fill with oil, it will look good until you build up pressure in the system then it will spray out between the two seals...now you get to do it all again but this time you have oil dripping down from everywhere.....

Doug
1978 Bronco 408, Edelbrock 4 barrel, Dual Fuel (propane/gas), C6, ORD Doubler, Triple-Stick, D60 open, 14b Detroit, 4.56, 37x12.5x17 on H2 rims, 10K ft winch, 8K rear winch
http://www.superford.org/registry/ve...630&profile=1]
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1994 XLT 5.0, MSD coil/cap/rotor, SpiroPro wires, Ford Racing tranny cooler, PermaCool filter, 3G
Thanks for the help filling in the blanks, guys. Yeah, that's a new oil pan, as of about a year ago. My old one was leaking like crazy, and rusty. I got this one, sprayed it with bedliner, and installed it (along with a new pump and pickup) according to TRUCKY18's writeup. (The old one had the sideways drain plug, too.)

I like the speed method, OX1. Do you drop the oil pan to drain it, too?

--
Sandy
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 03:37 PM

Bronco Info: 1992 Eddie Bauer - 5.8L 351W - E4OD - '78 D44HP SAS - 4.88 Gears - 35" BFG MTs - 160A 3G etc..
A little addition for you: safety glasses/goggles... The one time I didn't wear them, oil splattered off my drain pan right into my face. It was warm, and thick, and it burned like crazy. I was lucky there were no metal shavings in there.

-Alex
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtarsha View Post
A little addition for you: safety glasses/goggles... The one time I didn't wear them, oil splattered off my drain pan right into my face. It was warm, and thick, and it burned like crazy. I was lucky there were no metal shavings in there.

-Alex
Duh, I'm an idiot. I can't believe I forgot that.

Info added to original post. Thanks.

--
Sandy
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickaila View Post
Why do I always have so much trouble getting my oil filter to seat well. I fill it, and smear oil on the O ring adn enusre the mating surface is clean, but I always end up tightening it (by hand) loads tighter then i think i shoul dhave too.....and then when i go to take it off, its wicked tight ... like can't get my current one off.

Hmm, I never tried doing it warm though. that might help. I usually do it when its cold.
mj
Why do you tighten it so tight? Is it leaking? Did you clean the filter mount? Maybe there's some scratches or something on the surface where the gasket seals to the mount?

--
Sandy
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 07:26 PM
not banned

Bronco Info: 82 XLT Lariat, 351W, C6, NP208, 4.56:1, 37x13.5s, all sheet metal replaced
yeah its clean.. oiled too. it jsut leaks if its not wicked tight????
mj

Where we go one, we go all.
Mickaila's Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwagon View Post
I guess most of our members are just WEB WHEELERs and dont need public land?
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Double check the surface, I'll bet it's damaged somehow. Mine don't leak, and they're hardly tight at all.

--
Sandy
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 07:42 PM
not banned

Bronco Info: 82 XLT Lariat, 351W, C6, NP208, 4.56:1, 37x13.5s, all sheet metal replaced
kewl, i will, thanks.. i might try resurfacing it a bit with some fine sandpaper too..
mj

Where we go one, we go all.
Mickaila's Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwagon View Post
I guess most of our members are just WEB WHEELERs and dont need public land?
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Most oil change places will take old oil, as well.

--
Sandy
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 12:46 AM
Puts it were it doesnt go

Bronco Info: Got replaced by something less off-roady....for now
if the filter is too tight you can also use coarse sandpaper to help loosen it. just wrap the sandpaper around the filer and twist. or worst comes to worst, take a big, long screwdriver and hammer it through the filter and twist. i do not recomend the screwdriver removal method but it has served me well in the past. maybe i just need to pony up a couple of bucks for a oil filter removal tool

Angry Voice: Vote Damit! http://top4x4sites.com/
Dodge= Paper meche on wheels
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 03:35 PM
green ones make me horny

Bronco Info: 1994 w/ built 302, E4OD, 33in tires, custom exhaust, upgraded ign. running like a raped ape
You dont fill the filter upo half way with oil? i do i was always taught that so you dont have a dry start up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigEpBlue View Post
No, I don't have this problem. Money grows on trees here in Michigan, and my Bronco gets 45 mpg. It emits sunshine and a light berry scent, and it never needs service or parts.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 06:51 PM

Bronco Info: '92 Bronco XLT Nite,stock suspension, 33X12.5 BFG AT,5.8 auto, front & rear receivers, auburn LS
I'll share something I learned quite a few years ago. I used to always change my oil without jacking the truck up at all. I also always found it very frustrating getting the old filter out without making a mess. One oil change I decided to rotate my tires while doing the oil change so I put it up on 4 jackstands before starting. The filter came out much easier (from underneath) this way. I've jacked it up ever since.

'92 Bronco XLT Nite
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 11:50 PM
Former owner of Shadofax

Bronco Info: 95XLT351 E4OD SAS 44/ARB/Alloy shafts-joints. D60 rear/Detroit. 4wheel disc,35" KO2's, 4.56etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconite View Post
I'll share something I learned quite a few years ago. I used to always change my oil without jacking the truck up at all. I also always found it very frustrating getting the old filter out without making a mess. One oil change I decided to rotate my tires while doing the oil change so I put it up on 4 jackstands before starting. The filter came out much easier (from underneath) this way. I've jacked it up ever since.

try a lift on your truck and bag the jackstands.

post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 09:22 AM

Bronco Info: '91 Ext. cab p/u, no bed, D60s, 37s, lots of sheetmetal damage
Quote:
Originally Posted by imlikeojnow View Post
You dont fill the filter upo half way with oil? i do i was always taught that so you dont have a dry start up
I always put atleast half a quart in the new filter. The big filters will hold nearly a quart without spilling during install if you're good at it.

When you have time, you have no money - When you have money, you have no time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Technical Write Ups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode