Making Mustang Tri-Y headers work (God help me) - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1988 F-150 5.0, C-6, 31x10.50 Firestone Destination A/T, MAF conversion
Making Mustang Tri-Y headers work (God help me)

Ok, I know I'm gonna get flamed for doing this but with funds tight I had to make do with what I had laying in the shop. I actually made Tri-Y headers from a 65-70 Mustang work on my truck with some modifications (read: fit without making it a hack job from hell)

First off, the headers: Tri-Y headers for a 65-70 Mustang

Now the surgery. It was much easier than I thought due to liberal soaking of the bolts in Rust Eater and using the "redneck cheater bar".....

When I pulled the right manifold off I realized that it was cracked almost all the way around Ditto for the left hand as well (hard to see the cracks with the rust eater).....

Done the trial fit on it and the Tri-Y headers fit with some issues: the collectors interfere with the trans linkage and the front driveshaft on the left and the transmission on the right.:

Here is the pile of junk so far that will occupy the big round file....

1988 Ford F-150 4x4
5.0, C6, and some junk done to it.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1988 F-150 5.0, C-6, 31x10.50 Firestone Destination A/T, MAF conversion
More modifications to the headers:

I robbed the O2 bung from the old y-pipe and the O2 sensor itself. They both looked great for being 20 yrs old.....

RH header in surgery....

Bung welded in.

Now the fun part. Cutting to clear the bellhousing and starter. The tape line I had to cut at (had to light up to keep my nerves in check...)

Surgery complete. Not bad for a few hours of work and it fits perfect....

Now for the left side. I thought it was cake but it wasn't: I found out my shift linkage was directly in the line of my exhaust and I needed to get around it. Found the best solution for $5 at Auto zone: a pair of 1 3/4" ID piping in the exhaust section.

More cut and paste and the left is nearly done.

The finished results........
Right side.

Left side.

1988 Ford F-150 4x4
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 05:51 PM

Bronco Info: '96 F150 4"+33's
nice work. looks clean in those last pictures. you plan on duals, or making a y pipe?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 01:27 AM
Practicing Infidel

Bronco Info: 86 Eddie Bauer; EFI 5.0 liter, AOD, optimized ignition system, external tranny filter, urethane bush
Full frickin' marks for re-using the O2 bung Kpate !!!!!!!!

and for all the innovation !

Did you consider using header flanges ?

I found them uber-useful myself and at $3.09 each from J.C.Whitney, they're priced right.

Sixlitre

My Superford site
http://www.superford.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=4970&s=17328#content
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakfree View Post
nice work. looks clean in those last pictures. you plan on duals, or making a y pipe?
I'm actually making a Y-pipe to connect them into a 3" single. As soon as I get a chance to upload I'll showthe goods...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixlitre View Post
Full frickin' marks for re-using the O2 bung Kpate !!!!!!!!

and for all the innovation !

Did you consider using header flanges ?

I found them uber-useful myself and at $3.09 each from J.C.Whitney, they're priced right.

Sixlitre
Actually found something a little better for a few dollars more. I wouldn't be able t do the flanges due to the lack of space between the trans an the driveshaft

1988 Ford F-150 4x4
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 02:22 PM
Wrenching for a Livin'

Bronco Info: '85 Ford Bronco XLT.
i don't know if you can answer this, but do the tri-ys actually offer any improvement over regular shorties or long tubes on our trucks? i know they are made for hp applications. I've thrown aroud the idea of putting tri-ys on my 393 for a while now....ill probabbly just reuse my cheap longtubes

My SuperFord
'85 Bronco......
Welded 14 bolt, HPKingpin D60 w/ lockright, ZF5, NP205, 4.88 gears, SMPFI 393 w/ EDIS(gufx strat), Chevy 52s Front, Inboarded Chevy 63s Rear, DOM heim steering, DOM cage, Saginaw pump, 3/8" fuel system, 200amp 3G Alternator....

ASE Master Automotive Technician
ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck Technician
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumpi View Post
i don't know if you can answer this, but do the tri-ys actually offer any improvement over regular shorties or long tubes on our trucks? i know they are made for hp applications. I've thrown aroud the idea of putting tri-ys on my 393 for a while now....ill probabbly just reuse my cheap longtubes
Not for sure Mag. From gathering information I heard Tri-Ys are good for torque from idle-4500 rpm Only reason I'm using them is I couldn't plop down the extra $150 for cheapie shorties or LTs and I already had these in my shop. I'll find out when I make up the rest of the system this weekend barring it doesn't rain like a mofo here...

1988 Ford F-150 4x4
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 04:47 PM
aka: kemicalburns

Bronco Info: 94 357/E4OD - ProC 6" stageII, 35"bfg AT, f/R 4.88's, Front Aussie locker, HS9500, sliders
Garage
i like how access to the plugs is wide open. how is access to the starter

94 5.8/E4OD Edelbrock efi intake, jba headers, transgo shift kit. 6" PC stage II, 4.88 gears, front Aussie. Warn HS9500, custom bumper and sliders. RedHead steering and TieRod flip.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemicalburns View Post
i like how access to the plugs is wide open. how is access to the starter
Not that bad. I probably should've made another pie cut on the secondaries to get more clearance (will go to a mini-starter after this one takes a dump). The top bolt is a tad obstructed but still reachable with a regular combination wrench. The only other concern isthe boot to #2 plug is a little close but should be okay...

1988 Ford F-150 4x4
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Well after cutting, pasting, measuring, and cussing all weekend it is done and complete. I fired it up tonight to check it and it sounds great at the tailpipe ( have a header leak at the engine though ). On with the pics....

The old exhaust.....

The new parts to finish. Two J-bends, one y-connector, two band clamps, and one old school turbo muffler......

Malcom, this is what I used instead of the collector flanges. They seal up very well.....

Fianlly the new y-pipe complete.....

The y-pipe and the exhaust on the truck......

1988 Ford F-150 4x4
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 01:11 AM
Practicing Infidel

Bronco Info: 86 Eddie Bauer; EFI 5.0 liter, AOD, optimized ignition system, external tranny filter, urethane bush
Kpate

that is one smart looking and professional looking Y-pipe you built there !!!!!!!!!!!!!

s1120 would be proud of you !

Must sound great ! Score Flanders video camera off him and see if you can get a sound bite for us !

Great work

Sixlitre

p.s./
I'll bet your mileage goes up significantly, mine did.

p.p.s./
So how do you like those fancy clamps ? Are they worth the bucks ?

My Superford site
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

The clamps are definitely worth the extra bucks (Was $8.95 from Summit) and no leaks from them... Didn't get to test much due to the header leak last night ( figured out where it is leaking; might not be sealing well against the head) but will test it as soon as I get that solved. Want to get it out on the open road and see if there is any improvement over the old exhaust.....

1988 Ford F-150 4x4
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 11:36 AM
Practicing Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpate View Post
The clamps are definitely worth the extra bucks (Was $8.95 from Summit) and no leaks from them... Didn't get to test much due to the header leak last night ( figured out where it is leaking; might not be sealing well against the head) but will test it as soon as I get that solved. Want to get it out on the open road and see if there is any improvement over the old exhaust.....
Grab a set of these Mr.Gasket Ultra seals;

Stuck em' on 5 or 6 years ago (once) and they've never leaked, ever.

Sixlitre

My Superford site
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 12:10 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco XLT 302/AOD ELocker Rear/ custom 8.8. 1986 Bronco XLT. 1981 Bronco Custom
Is there any chance those would clear the plugs with GT40P heads?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixlitre View Post
Grab a set of these Mr.Gasket Ultra seals;

Stuck em' on 5 or 6 years ago (once) and they've never leaked, ever.

Sixlitre
Gonna grab a set on the way home. I have a feeling I have some interference between the header and the LH motor mount causing it to tweak the header enough not to seal it correctly. Gonna re-check the weld at the extensions while I have it out......

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBronco View Post
Is there any chance those would clear the plugs with GT40P heads?
The clear all the plugs EXCEPT the #5 plug (front driver's side). That primary would have to be cut and re-routed to clear the plug and wire.

(Currently doing the anti-rain dance so I can fix this tonight.... )

1988 Ford F-150 4x4
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 02:04 PM
Satyr of the Midwest

Location: Ida & Grand Rapids, Michigan, a.k.a The Unemployment Capital of America
Bronco Info: 1993 EB, 5.8L, BIO0 MAF, GT40Ps, Mustang cam, GT40 Intake, Custom Headers, Moates QuarterHorse
Wow. I give you mad props for being brave enough to route the driver's side tube like that. Seriously, that's fuggin' sweet.

Did you use a MIG or a flux core welding setup?

SigEpBlue
Wheelin' across Michigan from Ida to Grand Rapids, baby!
Quote:
Nemo nisi per amicitiam cognoscitur -- No one learns except by friendship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlai Stevenson
Isn't it conceivable to you that an intelligent person could harbor two opposing ideas in his mind?
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigEpBlue View Post
Wow. I give you mad props for being brave enough to route the driver's side tube like that. Seriously, that's fuggin' sweet.

Did you use a MIG or a flux core welding setup?
Thanks Sig. Some say I have more ballz than brains And some even wondered if it was going to work. I actually studied one guy's configuration on another site that is similar to this.
I actually used flux core wire in my welder when I built it up. Had to play with my wire speed some to get it right but it turned out as best as I could get it.

***UPDATE***

Got the LH header leak fixed. Turned out the LH motor mount was tweaking the header to where i did not seal up against the head. Massaged the one primary that was interferin wwith the red wrench, 2" dia. cast iron pipe, and 3 lb sledge and no more issues. Bought some new header gaskets, tightened it all back up and now NO LEAKS. Now time to road test it......

1988 Ford F-150 4x4

Last edited by Kpate; 04-30-2008 at 01:36 PM. Reason: update on LH header issue
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 05:04 PM

Bronco Info: former FSB owner now in Texas
You want to make me a set? I thought a true Y headers had the ports split.

I.e 1 3 and 2 4 for the Ys

this was suppose to be for increase velocity in the 5.0HO and the cylinder firing. Either way, yours looks nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Technical Write Ups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode