Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

How to Swap To A Non-Airbag Steering Wheel

10K views 4 replies 6 participants last post by  BigBlue 94 
#1 · (Edited)
So this has come up a couple times recently, and i figure since ive already got pics of the swap, ill just make a quick write-up of it.

So, youve got a bronco with an airbag. Maybe it doesnt work, or the clockspring is bad, horn doesnt work, or you just dont like the look of the airbag wheel.

I do not have a pic of the wheel with the airbag installed. I dont think you need one, afterall, you already know what it looks like!

Step one, disconnect battery. This is no joke! You dont want it the airbag to go off by accident while removing it!
The airbag is held onto the steering wheel with 4 studs thru to the back of the wheel. 10mm socket makes quick work of them. The airbag will then slide straight off the wheel.

The yellow wire in the middle of the wheel is the harness for the airbag. Unplug, and (safely) discard airbag. Or, live dangerously and set it off in your yard! Whatever works for you. :toothless

Now you can remove the bolt holding the wheel on. 15mm socket for this job.

With the wheel removed, the clockspring is exposed. Youll note, 3 torx screws to remove the clockspring from the column.

Close-up of clock spring p/n for a '96

Non-airbag wheel from an F250. You can use one from any 92-93 (pre-airbag) F150s/broncos, or any 92-97 F250/350 truck.

Harness for the wheel. This is the whole thing. Remove from the same donor truck the steering wheel came from.

Airbag trucks use a black plug, non-airbag uses gray. They are pinned the same and even shaped the same, the difference is the gray one has a thicker pin on one side and the black on the other so technically they wont fit together, altho they still will with a little effort. Either swap the plugs, or sand the side down a little. If you use a little force, they still plug together just fine, which is what i did.

Harness installed on column. Aside from the plug (mentioned above) it swaps right onto the column. Youll note it installs into a hole that was already on the column, but not one of the holes for the clockspring.

Remove airbag computer from under dash. There are impact sensors on the frame but they do not need to be removed.

...and install your new steering wheel!
Don't forget to remove the bulb for the airbag while youre in there.

That's it. Yes, its really that simple. Unfortunately, i do not have any better pics as i did this over a year ago and never planned on doing a write-up, as i thought it was common knowledge, but maybe not? If anyone has better pics to add, then by all means please do!

See less See more
#2 ·
i have long desired to make this swap.

my plan was to get a JY steering wheel but failing that, buy one off ebay. but, reading this, it seems like there's more to it than just the wheel. what harness is needed? do i remove the clock spring? do i need one from the donor?

i would hate to pull the steering wheel then realize i don't have everything i need.

#3 ·
The donor won't have a clock spring as it uses contacts for the wheel, but you will need to remove your old clock spring since it would be in the way and useless. I have a 92 I just swapped to a manual column out of a 94 and the harness is different, so look for a 93+ for the harness but the 92 wheels should work regardless (when it comes to the airbagless F150/Broncos for donor parts).

Of course at one point I know I was looking into the idea of actually trying a later Ford truck steering wheel since the looks of those compared to the 94+ airbag wheels isn't too bad.

Reactions: dash_cam
#4 ·
Yup, the clockspring is for the airbag, throw that away.

Get this harness:

it will plug into your harness in place of the clockspring. Mine came from the same vehicle the wheel came from.

Thats the only other item you need, besides the wheel itself.

My pic shows a non-cruise wheel, but you can add (or retain) the cruise control simply by getting a horn pad with the cruise buttons. That 3-pin harness operates both the horn, and the cruise control.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.