TTB Ball joint placement (56K warning) - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
I got tools-i can fix it

Bronco Info: 1983 Full Size Bronco
TTB Ball joint placement (56K warning)

well i had to replace the drivers side since 3 months ago i did the pass side. here are the steps to complete this yourself. here is the fast steps.
here is the drivers side as i drive it to the driveway.

Remove wheel and set aside.

remove caliper and set aside (i used "S" hooks to hold the caliper.

remove lockout.

remove rotor and hub assembly

remove spindel and dust shield.

remove axle and knuckle (i used a pickle fork to seperate the ball joints.

you now should have a large pile of parts now.

i normally use a "C" press to remove the ball joints but this side was stuborn. the press would not budge the joint then a loud pop and the press was on the floor and the knuckle was bent beond use. (like my soda bottle?)

time for a new tool and to lighen my wallet some more. 12 Ton shop press.

after returning from the junk yard with a new knuckle this press poped the joints out in 5 min

here are the old joints.

here are the new joints.

here is the new bottom joint installed.

this is where the daylight and my helper left. so i installed the topp ball joint. then installed the knuckle to the axle housing. I then tourqued the ball joints and Tie rod end then greased them and the tie rod. then the axle goes back in and the spindel and dust shiel. The bearings were washed and inspected and repacked with grease and installed with the rotor / hub assembly. The lock outs went in next and the caliper was installed. the wheel went on and i pumped the brakes a few times. i reinspected all points of work and went for a test ride. i found i need to do an alignment. but that was a full day so it will wait for now...............mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 06:26 PM

Bronco Info: 91 w/351, 4", extended arms, 33s, 4.10s, and Cobra intake; 79-stock for now
I'm in the middle of doing mine right now and I would be interested to see if you have any pics of the knuckle in the press to see how you set it up. I'm using the ball joint removal kit from Harbor Freight for mine. I looked at using my press, but I figured out how to finagle the c-clamp from the kit before I figured out how to setup the press.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Technical Write Ups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode