Over the last couple days I've decided to make a few minor changes based on lessons learned wheeling last weekend. Keep in mind this is the ugly duckling "mr hyde the deuce" and I'm more concerned about how it works over how it looks. These include:
convinced me I needed to be monitoring the trans temp in this AOD, so today I stopped by Summit and grabbed a digital autometer gauge and sending unit to do just that.
I mounted where I can see it easily and placed the sending unit into the pressure test port (yes I DID read the debate on the suitability of this location but deferred to
because... well it was the easiest and should ballpark me)
2) my fenders and sliders rubbed the front tires pretty bad at full stuff (which until saturday I wasn't sure this truck was capable of), so out came the sawzall to cut even more off (again funtion over form, and I had already removed the big section. Only another 2" or so came off the fender and 1" off the sliders this time and should be plenty)
3) I couldn't hear a dang thing on the CB with just the internal speaker while driving so I tossed in the one out of the old expy
4) my arm didn't like feeling like it was being ground away by coarse grit sandpaper on the painted plywood of the center console, so out came some scrap fabric and foam
5) last but certainly not least...I contacted
about rewelding my traction bar that busted off saturday right after we hit the trail on a little creek obstacle
The heim survived and I'm going to drop it off tomorrow to be rewelded and hopefully gusseted to the rear axle.
Went on to wheel the rest of the day with no issues
dr jekyll: 86 built 302,30 over, carbed, 4" lift on 35s...mr hyde: 88 302 LS SAS, both ends locked, hydro assist, 5.13s, on 38 toyos