F.O.T.M Voting > JULY 2017 F.O.T.M., VOTE HERE!!! - Page 5 - Ford Bronco Forum
View Poll Results: Choose your favorite Fullsize Bronco for JULY 2017!!!
stm 9 20.00%
Elliott000 13 28.89%
johnnyk8 6 13.33%
'89Bronco302 17 37.78%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

415Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 141 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 10:30 PM
Erik

Bronco Info: '89 Bronco
So now the bronco was reunited with me in Florida. Started by cleaning it outside and inside. Then I wanted to try to get it running. There wasn't much gas in the tank so I mixed in some fresh along with treatment stuff. That was a mistake and I ended up killing both fuel pumps.
So I replaced both fuel pumps and since the inside of the tank was so nasty I decided to get rid of it. Always wanted to do a f150 tank swap so I went for it. Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures of this project. In order to swap a bronco tank for a 19 gallon plastic f150 tank you need to:
1. Trim a small portion the top of the frame of where the fuel filler neck is near it. (With the change in angle the f150 tank will make it rub.)
2. Trim about 1/2 inch off of the lower portion of the frame rails in between where the tank sits. (For the increase in width of this tank over stock.)
3. Remove rear most crossmember rivets so the crossmember can be freed. You need to test for the tank to see where the crossmember will go but it moves backwards towards the rear bumper. (To account in the increased length with this tank.) My crossmember ended up being right at the rear bumper since I trimmed my frame rails to weld on the bumper, so I welded the crossmember directly to the bumper.
4. Switch plug for sending unit (at least on my year) because it's different on the f150 one.
It turned out awesome and gives 7 inches of increased ground clearance in that area. Still plenty of fuel for wheeling but I bring extra cans sometimes.

Next I had to deal with the unfinished portions of the bronco since I got it running and it didn't leak any fluids either.
First came the brakes since I never did them. In the rear I swapped the worn out drums for disc brakes.

And up front I went all out. Aluminum hubs with these crazy rotors and 4 piston calipers.

I also did all stainless brake and transmission lines, and an F350 master cylinder and booster. The brakes will lock up no problem even with the heavy rims and tires..
Back when the bronco sat I sold the winch so I found another one cheap. Used warn hs9500i with synthetic line, nice fairlead, and an extra winch mount.
I finished my exhaust which meant replace everything. New bassani stainless y pipe, cat, and muffler, along with tailpipe. I just cut it short of the stock exit. Heres a later picture of some of it from when I cleaned and painted it..

I completed the dual battery system with a perko locking selector switch. Finished the wiring for the 3G, starter, etc.
And I had to spend some coin on new rims and tires. 39.5x13.50 bias ply iroks mounted on recentered H1 beadlocks with rock rings and black powder coat.
Heres me mounting up the last one. I was getting anxious to test drive it at this point.

It was a lot of work.

It was looking good..

But it was time to see if it would drive. This first drive around the block was so amazing. I probably was driving way too fast.

First time it moved under its own power in about 6 years.

Next I ventured onto some bigger roads so I could go fill that new f150 tank..

Posing at the gas station..

So then we took it onto the beach. I miss living 4 miles from the atlantic ocean..

After that I spray painted the whole thing black and joined some fellow broncos for some wheeling in Florida...
BikerPepe`, JGR, stm and 1 others like this.

'89 Bronco Build Thread
92 Bronco Build Thread
'85 F350 CCLB-Fummins tow rig/dd
'61 F350- Pumpkin Truck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 141 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 10:41 PM

Bronco Info: 1984 Rebuilt 5.0 Free Wheeling Package
Garage
That truck is a friggin beast! Well done.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
'89Bronco302 likes this.

1984 Full Size Ford Bronco w rebuilt 302 and Auto w/OD
Lotsa Rust - Lotsa Noise - Lotsa fabricating
Project Alpha Bronco
F.O.T.M Nominee for July - Get Out the Vote
post #83 of 141 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 09:46 AM
Erik

So I met up with some Florida bronco guys to hit some trails.

Driving around the forest.

Taking a break..

Again.

Morning campsite.

Ready to roll out..

But it was a shakedown run so I did have some issues. Alternator stuff due to my stupidity and a fuel pump relay went up after it swamped. Also sucked some water into my intake. Drying things out and someone jumping the relay..

Some of these pictures have been stolen from my Florida bronco brothers.
Me going for a swim to make sure my frame rail fuel pump was running..

The other time we were under my hood.

The earlier one..

Ended up making it out and driving the highways all the way home again.
The salute..

So my fuel pump relay was shot and currently jumped with a wire. Bought these sealed nice ones and after some explanation from a fellow bronco owner I figured out the wiring for the fuel pump and computer one.

More to come..

'89 Bronco Build Thread
92 Bronco Build Thread
'61 F350- Pumpkin Truck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 141 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 02:53 AM
stm
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1987 FSB, 5.0, EB, C-6/ 1993 FSB, 5,0, XLT, E4OD
Breaking news!!! Newspapers headlines: "Accident at highway try to stop race in FOTM!!!", "Gray horse saved a rider life!!!", "Particularity of national "partsfinding"....

Day ago, at Saturday, I was return to home and drove my BKO as usual, at highway. All was nice! I swapped all front bearings at previous day and make small photo report, also took photo set at some cool places for you, weather after long period was switched on real summer - hot and sunny. At this moments always something evil stay around and wait a chance... "Dreamed of, idiot!" - fate say and next I saw large truck, which left a construction site far ahead, at counter-line. Damn be that eternal rebuild on highways!!! Truck increase his speed and when he stay near me, at reverse direction, I saw, as something large (and metal, investigated later), as anvil, flew out from between his doubled rear wheels. Second later my windshield was broken totally. Road is under construction in that place and I turn on hazard lights and was looking, where can be go to roadside. One lane, narrow and I stopped after about 500 meter only... Trucker was gone - I think, he saw what happened, but he pee into pants and drive away, as last bi...ch!!! I inspect damage - big hole on windshield opposite my face, billions smallest glass pieces around interior and me, many cracks from hole to edges of w-shield. Middle layer of "triplex", or how it can be named, keep a punch, hole was almost through. Also I found long pit and scratch on hood - that something was landed on hood, scratch trough and after was contact with window - if it be windshield first, I think windows would be true hole and that thing would be in my head... Many Russian bad lang words turned in my head to that truck, driver and situation - "what to do now?" Windshield for Bronco or old F-150 - it's a good problem in Moscow. I heard about same on local forum - peoples searching many months and no results... Also, I was need to go to airshow next day, tickets and car pass was on hand, and I want to take a pics with Bronco there... Sh...t!!!
I started to search immediately, just on highway!!! Took a pics of destroy, post it to Facebook and placed a help request in local Ford fans forum - Russia Ford Trucks Club... Calls to the spare shops was sadly - they say about two months of delivery and no offers on that moment... Next try - call to special freelance guys, who deals with dragging parts from EU - big parts can be founded in Finland or Germany, for example, and in good case it can be take a 2 weeks, but was a Saturday - no one answer... Also can be found w-shield used, from junkyard - but not each junk have Bronco window - also hard to find... Internet bulletin boards was checked - no results... When I came to home and check local forum, I saw one phone number of car window repair shop, guy tell about they maybe have a Bronco windshield... I call that shop and OMG!!! - man say, that have a real Bronco glass, new!!! Only one and last around 1000 miles!!!! Was about 16:00 and I say, that come immediately, let he reserve it for me!!! When I check address - in additional that shop was in 15 min from my house!!! Triple lucky!!!! I never drive so fast before!!! Till last moment I doubted about - it can be not same, it can be for Bronco II, it can be not for Bronco at all, he can find it in database, but not find at warehouse. Unpopularity things, like that, which long shelf laying, usual forgotten and nobody can say about for sure... I came to shop and man give me my windshield - all same, this is it!!! And he say, that they can install it in an hour. Nice!!! Sure, it's not original - China made, FYG company, but it better nothing!!! Today I have new unscratched window!!! Ha-ha-ha. Quickest response ever!!! To find windshield on Bronco in Moscow? - Easy!!!! xDDDD Hard, very hard, just incredible lucky... xDDDD

Pics:

After the accident

Pit in hood

That new one

Elephant in China porcelain shop xDDD

Removed

And new installed

Clear sky!!!

1987, FSB, 5.0, EB, c-6, Black Hoss, some oldy, some rusty, milestone is over 1 000 000 miles.
1993, FSB, 5.0, XLT, E4OD, White Mare.
post #85 of 141 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 03:06 AM
stm
Fullsize Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by '89Bronco302 View Post
Ocean...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott000 View Post
Ok so back at it!
Great pics, guys!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue 94 View Post
Tough month fellas! It's all looking great. Got about a week before I'll cast my vote so keep the pics flowing!

@stm you had me laughing hard at "everyday I'm shovelin"! Is that the Moscow remix? The 'cow' pics were pretty cool, and damn that is a crazy cactus plant. Do they give you flat tires at all?
No. It's no Moscow remix xDDDD Ha-ha-ha, it's yours - smbdy from US first tell it - when snow falls was at last winter xDDDD
Flat tires - sure, need for change! But haven't time for it xDDDD Will soon, sure!!!
BigBlue 94 and '89Bronco302 like this.

1987, FSB, 5.0, EB, c-6, Black Hoss, some oldy, some rusty, milestone is over 1 000 000 miles.
post #86 of 141 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 07:01 AM
stm
Fullsize Member

Another story is replacing bearings. As was major endplay at both wheels, I decide to change all front bearings at Friday.
SKF and Timken I have for that...

Once I replace them on my Black, so not was surprised...
I used slide hummer for remove old races from rotors and installer tool for install new:

But I stay my selfprinted manual at home! Stupid head!!! But we have mobile Inet:-)))

Quick guide with torque was created :-))))

Both sides was changed, endplay gone, but need to replace radius and pivot bushings now - will soon, as I want new tires, but without camber/toe-in it is useless ...

post #87 of 141 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 09:32 AM
Erik

So I installed some gauges. Mechanical oil pressure and vacuum. Some of the cheapest ones I could buy but just cheap insurance.

And then I built a home depot snorkel since I already sucked up water once.

I also extended all the vent lines and put a rubber boot on the distributor.
And bought an extension harness to relocate the computer further away from water..

What the intake setup looks like under the hood. (This pic is from a little later when I already swapped engines and dressed up under the hood)

I have this large air box where it exits the fender.

With this huge filter inside.

The whole exterior piece of the snorkel comes off as one quickly if need be.
So then we tried to go meet broncos in the forest again but of course the one time I bring people with me the bronco dies.

Made it about halfway there on the highways before I lost all power and it stopped running. Lost all oil pressure and when I went to start it again it made loud bad noises..
So off we went..
Next is figuring out what went on with that 302 and what to do. First some random pictures...

'89 Bronco Build Thread
92 Bronco Build Thread
'61 F350- Pumpkin Truck

Last edited by '89Bronco302; 07-24-2017 at 09:34 AM.
post #88 of 141 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 10:16 AM
Erik

So it was time to tear into my old, tired 302.

Anddd its out..

That motor mount doesn't look happy either..

Taking a look inside.

I already knew this was rebuilt since all the previous owners provided me with receipts.

Angry crankshaft..

Some parts could be salvaged but I was still weighing my options at this point. I guess all the sitting and water caught up with my tired 302. It only had about 70,000 miles since the rebuild..

'89 Bronco Build Thread
92 Bronco Build Thread
'61 F350- Pumpkin Truck
post #89 of 141 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
F.O.T.Y. 2017

Bronco Info: 78 W/400
Garage
Great job guys !!!
With the finish line a week away let's get those last minute pics and stories up to finish out strong.

It's still a close race and is anybody's game in my opinion all worthy of title FOTM .... one more week guys ....
BikerPepe` and '89Bronco302 like this.
post #90 of 141 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 10:46 AM
Erik

So since I finally had the engine out it was a good time to do other work too. Started by cutting off the bottom pieces of the engine crossmember for added clearance.

And I cut an oval in the crossmember to make just a little more room for my giant track bar.

As you may also see I welded the whole crossmember to the frame before I began cutting.

Welded this piece of dom to the front of the crossmember where I cut for added strength.

I also replaced this old steering box with a redhead and did the borgeson steering shaft as well.

'89 Bronco Build Thread
92 Bronco Build Thread
'61 F350- Pumpkin Truck
post #91 of 141 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 11:37 AM
Erik

So after looking into few different options I found a 302 on craigslist about 3 hours away for $400. 80,000 mile engine from a 93 mustang with great records and videos of it running, along with some new parts.

(I used the fram for nothing more than paint masking)

I also installed this external trans filter when I changed the fluid.

Engine came with arp head studs, ford racing push rods and lifters, gaskets, rebuilt injectors, etc.

Had this ford racing double roller timing chain too. Even a few more parts that I tried to sell..

Clean..

The stock mustang heads.

Had a few of my bronco parts dipped locally and then I finished cleaning them.

Plugged the holes in the back of my heads when I dropped all the smog stuff and gutted my cat..

Lots of paint.

Sold the summit shorties for these cool coated headers from jba.

And used the locking fasteners.

The splitter for oil pressure senders so I can have the mechanical and stock gauge.

It was at this time I also did a saginaw power steering swap. Heres the painted bracket and I used a cheap rebuilt pump with new hose.

I should have painted the bolts but everything doesn't exactly look this nice anymore anyways..

Found this thermostat housing with a port. I use it for the probe for my temp sensor for the painless fan controller. (I run an electric fan with controller that allows auto run or manual on or off)

Used these beefy motor mounts.

Looking like something.

In the air..

In its new home..

Switched the distributor gear because of different camshafts.

New heater core.

Thats pretty much it on the engine. It now ran excellent and steering was much improved..

'89 Bronco Build Thread
92 Bronco Build Thread
'61 F350- Pumpkin Truck
post #92 of 141 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 11:58 AM
Erik

Before I drove it I also replaced my core support and did some driveshaft work..
I cut my stock core support to remove the 302 since it was already rusty.

Gone..

And the new one.

Heres a pic of my radiator/fan setup.

So driveshafts...
When I first got the bronco running the front driveshaft was rubbing the crossmember. I cut a small piece out and welded reinforcement along the cuts. The beefy motor mounts lifted the engine more so now my driveshaft was rubbing the crossmember again and I had other issues with both driveshafts..
New tom woods driveshaft out back.

New front one..

Made a modification to my trans crossmember so the driveshaft would never contact it again..

A funny picture from reassembly.. My bronco has no face.

Also did new headlights at this time since mine were trashed.

Random beach picture from around this time.. Maybe slightly later.

Sorry for the photo dump. Needed to catch up on my pics.
BikerPepe`, JGR, stm and 2 others like this.

'89 Bronco Build Thread
92 Bronco Build Thread
'61 F350- Pumpkin Truck
post #93 of 141 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 02:20 PM
Erik

I need some more offroad pics in here. This is from the first time I went to Hardrock offroad park with the Florida guys in about September of 2015.

A cool pic. I'm not sure which pics I took and which ones other people had..

Some nice scenery.

One of these is not like the others..

Waiting at the bottom of a hill for a bunch of passing jeeps. This place reminds me nothing of the rest of Florida because of all the hills..

I like this pic.

Back home again. Don't believe I broke anything that time.

'89 Bronco Build Thread
92 Bronco Build Thread
'61 F350- Pumpkin Truck
post #94 of 141 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 02:26 PM
Erik

And since you can see some of the lights in some of these pictures..
Cut this cheap light bar into the grill.

Very bright.

Some extra semi-hidden reverse lights.

Next will be some about where all the switches for these lights and stuff ended up...
BikerPepe`, JGR and stm like this.

'89 Bronco Build Thread
92 Bronco Build Thread
'61 F350- Pumpkin Truck
post #95 of 141 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 02:01 AM
stm
Fullsize Member

Quiet early morning pond...

Bog horse (or hippo?) xdDDD

Fishing maybe, or just only relax at summer days - it's excellent place for...

Poser!!!!

BikerPepe`, '89Bronco302 and JGR like this.

post #96 of 141 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 02:07 AM
stm
Fullsize Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by '89Bronco302 View Post
A cool pic. I'm not sure which pics I took and which ones other people had..
Hey! That famous pic - Angelo and Kingfish there!!!!
'89Bronco302 likes this.

post #97 of 141 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 02:07 AM
stm
Fullsize Member

What about abandoned places? Strange thing - old park, building and supply units - all abandoned...
Small dam...

Park

Old brick watertower....

Narrow roads of old park

After-apocalyptic scenery... and no one man... Few people know main secret of that object - huge bunker is under this building !!! xDDDD It was a recreation and sanatorium for Ministry of Trade in exUSSR, in many kilometers from Moscow... Emergency computing center, comm center and shelter for about 1000 people with diesel generators, internal water well, air conditioning was here for cold war era. Now totally destroyed and no any infrastructure...

Puddle, just puddle xDDDD

Electricity:

BikerPepe`, '89Bronco302 and JGR like this.

post #98 of 141 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 02:26 PM
Erik

So.. Center console next.
Brought home some wood. (My dodge pickup was broken again at this time so the bronco hauled it)

Started making something.

Cut a lot of holes..

Looking like something.

Its mounted to the roll cage.

Lighted cup holders.

Storage compartment light.

This is finally when I got a stereo of sorts. Theres my amp hiding under the cup holders..

The switches.

The stereo has 4 speakers, and an amp that are water resistant. No head unit, just an auxiliary port and iPhone cord.

I got some new black door panels..

Fire extinguisher mount.

Heres a more recent pic of the console with better paint.

It has the switches, aux port, volt meter, lighted cup holders, horn button, storage, stereo stuff, and cb radio.
Just driving around.
JGR likes this.

'89 Bronco Build Thread
92 Bronco Build Thread
'61 F350- Pumpkin Truck
post #99 of 141 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 02:32 PM
Erik

Replaced my junk wiper motor..

It's nice to not solely rely on rain-x.
We went to the forest again. Got almost no pics this time..
This was early 2016.

JGR and ANGELO like this.

'89 Bronco Build Thread
92 Bronco Build Thread
'61 F350- Pumpkin Truck
post #100 of 141 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 05:28 PM

Bronco Info: 1996 Eddie Bauer 5.8L, 4" BDS radius arm lift, 35x12.5's, Bassani headers, K&N CAI, Warn manual hubs
Great job guys! Loving the pics!!! Keep it up, trust me its not over until the fat lady sings!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Ford Bronco Forum > Welcome > F.O.T.M Voting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode