So now the bronco was reunited with me in Florida. Started by cleaning it outside and inside. Then I wanted to try to get it running. There wasn't much gas in the tank so I mixed in some fresh along with treatment stuff. That was a mistake and I ended up killing both fuel pumps.
So I replaced both fuel pumps and since the inside of the tank was so nasty I decided to get rid of it. Always wanted to do a f150 tank swap so I went for it. Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures of this project. In order to swap a bronco tank for a 19 gallon plastic f150 tank you need to:
1. Trim a small portion the top of the frame of where the fuel filler neck is near it. (With the change in angle the f150 tank will make it rub.)
2. Trim about 1/2 inch off of the lower portion of the frame rails in between where the tank sits. (For the increase in width of this tank over stock.)
3. Remove rear most crossmember rivets so the crossmember can be freed. You need to test for the tank to see where the crossmember will go but it moves backwards towards the rear bumper. (To account in the increased length with this tank.) My crossmember ended up being right at the rear bumper since I trimmed my frame rails to weld on the bumper, so I welded the crossmember directly to the bumper.
4. Switch plug for sending unit (at least on my year) because it's different on the f150 one.
It turned out awesome and gives 7 inches of increased ground clearance in that area. Still plenty of fuel for wheeling but I bring extra cans sometimes.
Next I had to deal with the unfinished portions of the bronco since I got it running and it didn't leak any fluids either.
First came the brakes since I never did them. In the rear I swapped the worn out drums for disc brakes.
And up front I went all out. Aluminum hubs with these crazy rotors and 4 piston calipers.
I also did all stainless brake and transmission lines, and an F350 master cylinder and booster. The brakes will lock up no problem even with the heavy rims and tires..
Back when the bronco sat I sold the winch so I found another one cheap. Used warn hs9500i with synthetic line, nice fairlead, and an extra winch mount.
I finished my exhaust which meant replace everything. New bassani stainless y pipe, cat, and muffler, along with tailpipe. I just cut it short of the stock exit. Heres a later picture of some of it from when I cleaned and painted it..
I completed the dual battery system with a perko locking selector switch. Finished the wiring for the 3G, starter, etc.
And I had to spend some coin on new rims and tires. 39.5x13.50 bias ply iroks mounted on recentered H1 beadlocks with rock rings and black powder coat.
Heres me mounting up the last one. I was getting anxious to test drive it at this point.
It was a lot of work.
It was looking good..
But it was time to see if it would drive. This first drive around the block was so amazing. I probably was driving way too fast.
First time it moved under its own power in about 6 years.
Next I ventured onto some bigger roads so I could go fill that new f150 tank..
Posing at the gas station..
So then we took it onto the beach. I miss living 4 miles from the atlantic ocean..
After that I spray painted the whole thing black and joined some fellow broncos for some wheeling in Florida...