September 2017 F.O.T.M. Vote here !!!!! - Page 2 - Ford Bronco Forum
View Poll Results: Who will be your September 2017 F.O.T.M. ???
stm 2 3.51%
MS88Bronc 6 10.53%
SRWillis 15 26.32%
Cobrajoe 24 42.11%
dash_cam 10 17.54%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

1258Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 01:09 PM

Bronco Info: 1996 EB, 351w, stock-ish. 1981 custom 351m, long gone.
Garage
Just checking in....was busy this weekend now I'm sick. Give me another day or two
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 03:39 PM
Ford-a-Holic

Bronco Info: 1996 Eddie-Bauer 5.8/1974 Bronco 351C
Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_cam View Post
Just checking in....was busy this weekend now I'm sick. Give me another day or two
No problem man, hurry up and get better!
itwasFREE!!!! and dash_cam like this.

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years

My Build Thread
https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic57969_2.gif
post #23 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 05:02 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, 6" lift, 4.56 gears, 35" GY MT/Rs, front locker, rear LSD, rear disc conversion
Garage
Feel better soon @dash_cam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MS88Bronc
Don't be fooled by the name,
1996 XL with 5.8L/E4OD/BW1356,
4.56 gears with lockers

-->My Build Thread<--
***GO NOMINATE AND VOTE FOR FULLSIZE OF THE MONTH HERE!!***
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 08:10 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1981 Bronco, 4.9L, T18, NP208, Detroit Truetracs front and rear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_cam View Post
Hope you're better soon.
post #25 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 09:35 PM
Fullsize Member

After getting the motor back in, I wanted to get things as simple as I could, so I eliminated the air pump and made a spacer so the carb would stay the same height and the throttle cable, gas line, air cleaner, etc would still hook up the same. I had the radiator tested and it leaked, so I replaced it with a stock Modine unit I found on ebay. I still hadn't put the gas tank back in, but got everything else ready for it to run. I had been cranking it some w/o the plugs in and no gas to make sure it would build oil pressure, but found out the oil pressure sending unit was bad and had to replace it.

I double-checked the timing, installed the plugs, hooked the gas can up to the fuel pump again and cranked it some. It didn't want to start, then I remembered I had to prime the fuel pump before, so I did that again and it fired up! The builder said to run it at fast idle for 20 minutes to break the flat tappet cam in, so I was running it with the radiator cap off to be able to add coolant when needed when after a few minutes the radiator erupted! It took several seconds to find the cap and get it on.

So that's where the name Ol' Faithful came from plus I think it describes what I ultimately want to accomplish; make her reliable so she won't let me down.

So here she is pretty much buttoned up.

I found some pinholes in the gas tank where dirt was trapped by the skid plate while prepping it to paint, so I installed a new tank and sending unit. I blew out the steel gas lines and replaced the rubber lines. I hooked up and adjusted the clutch and was able to drive it for the first time about 3 months after I got her home even though it was just to move it out of the garage so I could change the oil in my DD.

I was relieved not to hear any bad noises from the drivetrain and the brakes seemed to work as they should. After a few more days I had bumpers, tail lights and other details so it was ready for a road test. I ran it up the road to the gas station and it drove pretty good, it even stopped straight! The only real surprise I hadn't noticed before was it had no speedometer needle; but who needs it anyway.
post #26 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 09:44 PM
Ford-a-Holic

I pulled the front end out of the '93 because eventually I have to swap it into the '95:

...and i needed the 6" springs w/air bags too ;

I burnt off the old coil spring buckets and Installed new ones with the 6" springs from my '93 w/ air bags to see how my ride height was going to be ( I use them when I put the plow on)

While I was at it, I changed out the Pitman arms and cleaned up the chassis and add some Rust Bullet:

along with JBG's radius arms and drop brackets. (notice my shop seats are Bronco Buckets )

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years

My Build Thread
post #27 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 10:45 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, 6" lift, 4.56 gears, 35" GY MT/Rs, front locker, rear LSD, rear disc conversion
Garage
OK, so it took me a bit to reconfigure the pics from my injector swap-out, but here are a few:

Pulled off the TB - cleaned out the back side later

Yanked the upper plenum to get a good look

New injectors installed

Intake back on, with a shiny new EGR valve

OH, and this was about the time I found a "4x4" badge on eBay

MS88Bronc
4.56 gears with lockers

-->My Build Thread<--
post #28 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 11:46 PM
stm
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1987 FSB, 5.0, EB, C-6/ 1993 FSB, 5,0, XLT, E4OD
It was, hm-m-m, power line inspection:-))) Good photo conditions was there - last light of sun, nice dusk, and sure - powerlines as I like...

Going in fields

No, not that small line on back... That is!!

View from hill - somebody bought land and build a house between lines - :-))))) Strange choice :-))))

So as usually - all ended on most interesting point:-)))) Sun went down and session was screwed up :-))))

1987, FSB, 5.0, EB, c-6, Black Hoss, some oldy, some rusty, milestone is over 1 000 000 miles.
1993, FSB, 5.0, XLT, E4OD, White Mare.
post #29 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 10:32 AM
Fullsize Member

Garage
Since I got this Bronco, it's had a bit of an exhaust leak. It wasn't a real priority at first since there were so many other issues that needed fixing first, but now that she was running well and all was quiet and smooth, the exhaust leak was really noticeable. I had bought a set of exhaust manifold gaskets when I brought the truck home, so I just grabbed them out of the garage and went outside to do it.

I got the left manifold off (where I suspected the leak was) and sure enough, the gasket was trashed and it appeared that the PO had not cleaned off the mating surfaces very well and there were remnants of old gaskets fused to the mating surface on the manifold. So, I grabbed a flat head screwdriver to pry off the bigger chunks, took a power drill-mounted rotary steel brush to the surfaces, and then I took a small piece of 2x4 I had laying around and stapled a sheet of 80 grit (I think) to it and went to town on all four surfaces.

This was the manifold before I attacked it. I don't have pics of the after - I was pretty pissed off at the end there, and ready to get it back on with a new set of manifold bolts and studs.

Anyway, exhaust leak fixed. The right side bank wasn't leaking, so...if it ain't broke.....

MS88Bronc
4.56 gears with lockers

-->My Build Thread<--
post #30 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 12:25 PM
Fullsize Member

The first day I drove it to work (still on afternoon shift) I tried the AC. Nothing but warm air. Oh well, just something else to work on. I just wish I would have found that out before and I could have gotten the compressor and hoses out of the way while pulling the motor. So now I have a project for this winter. From this site, I learned the whole AC system can be removed without breaking the lines and there was an 89 with a 4.9 listed on CL for parts so I pulled the AC system along with all the parts needed to switch it over to the serpentine belt.

A couple days later I discovered another problem. It had rained while I was at work and I had water dripping on my legs on the way home. I thought it might be the Lund visor, so I took it off and temporarily sealed the holes. The screws were loose and the sealant was in bad shape, so I hoped that was it. Not to be, I still had the leak. More on that later.

I replaced the ignition lock with a Motorcraft unit as the one in there didn't require a key to turn. Also replaced all four shocks with nuthin' fancy Monroe units, but they did make it drive better. The right tie rod end was bad, so I replaced it. The horn blew a dying blow for a second or two, so I replaced it.

I put a timing light and vacuum gauge on it and fine tuned it a bit.

After driving it for a couple months, I thought it was time for her to go topless!
So I did some research here and put up some pulleys and off it came. As you might be able to see in this pic, while pulling the shrubs out, I hooked the chain onto the rear bumper where it had been bent into the quarter and straightened it out.

When taking the power washer to it, the silver paint came off the front fender. I was trying to decide what paint to go with, so I figured that was a good place to try some out.

post #31 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 02:37 PM

Bronco Info: 1996 Eddie Bauer 5.8L, 4" BDS radius arm lift, 35x12.5's, Bassani headers, K&N CAI, Warn manual hubs
cobrajoe, dash_cam and SRWillis like this.

post #32 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 10:00 PM
Ford-a-Holic

So after I got it back together with the new springs, I was about 2 1/2" higher in the front, so I added the 3" block from my '93. Here it is with the springs & blocks in and the 33's that it came with:

BikerPepe`, JGR, stm and 2 others like this.

My Build Thread
post #33 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 10:05 PM
Ford-a-Holic

To get the blocks and U-Bolts, I had to pull the Currie 9' out of the '93. It has hardened axles, a Detroit Locker and 4:10 gears:

I wire wheeled it and Rust Bullet-ed it also, as it is destined for the new truck:

My Build Thread
post #34 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 01:21 AM
stm
Fullsize Member

Cobra - what a cool brick building, where you was wrenching your horse? :-)))) Large, tall, oldschool brick door or window arcs and pylons, old dusty equipment and machinery around, and very, very interesting cars at background :-))) Building look as 20-30's style, m-m-m, can't explain - like as Old New-York style, ha-ha, but maybe was build in 70's... Like similar places - my dream for large garage for trucks and cars restoring :-)))) For small machine tool park (which will be retro too!!!!) :-))))

1987, FSB, 5.0, EB, c-6, Black Hoss, some oldy, some rusty, milestone is over 1 000 000 miles.
post #35 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 05:58 AM
Ford-a-Holic

It's my shop, it was an old blacksmith shop back in the day, you can see the old forge in some of the pics. It must have had a dirt floor with wooden poles holding up the roof, as they are still in the concrete floor; just cut off flush. The building is actually listed as being built in the 50's; but I'm assuming that was a rebuild as there was a definite addition of a second floor and a change over to all steel beams, some of which are massive. The use then was for a truck body company. When I got it, it had been used as an electrical shop. I started adding some equipment over the years and later started building Cobra Replicas with a good friend.
Now, I use it to keep my hands and mind busy.

P.S. You noticed all that about the shop, but no one said anything about the deer in the background; I thought for sure I'd catch some flack for that!

My Build Thread
post #36 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 08:48 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1992 Eddie Bauer 351, all stock.
haha, i had to go back and find the deer!!!
cobrajoe and dash_cam like this.
post #37 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 10:49 AM
Fullsize Member

Garage
As you guys have probably been able to tell by now, my Bronco is not an "off-road monster" or anything. It is almost entirely stock, with small mods here and there that I have been able to do to make it "my own." So with that said, my rig, the "Vanilla Gorilla," has been a project in restoration - not a restoration in the true sense of the word - but my attempt to get it back into respectable shape to be dependable and reliable, as well as capable of some weekend fun off of the pavement. Also, at this point, I had already more than doubled my investment since buying it! So, as we go through this month, you will see little things I have done to make it unique and "my own." I love doing this stuff!

So...at this point in my "build" it was getting almost Christmas-time (2016) and some fun gifts were incoming. The first was a small, but effective, improvement on the looks of the Bronco for the people behind me.

Before:

After: (I was too eager to put it on, so I did it at night!)

MS88Bronc
4.56 gears with lockers

-->My Build Thread<--
post #38 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 12:14 PM
Fullsize Member

Sounds like we are on the same path @MS88Bronc , both in the goals for our Broncos and $$$!
post #39 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 12:42 PM
Fullsize Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRWillis View Post
Sounds like we are on the same path @MS88Bronc , both in the goals for our Broncos and $$$!

I figure it'll only take tripling it until I am close to where I want it. Maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cobrajoe, dash_cam and SRWillis like this.

MS88Bronc
4.56 gears with lockers

-->My Build Thread<--
post #40 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 12:55 PM
stm
Fullsize Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrajoe View Post

P.S. You noticed all that about the shop, but no one said anything about the deer in the background; I thought for sure I'd catch some flack for that!

I saw that deer:-)))) but stay for another question:-))) You are was first:-))) Nice shop!!!
cobrajoe and dash_cam like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Ford Bronco Forum > Welcome > F.O.T.M Voting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode