September 2017 F.O.T.M. Vote here !!!!! - Page 3 - Ford Bronco Forum
View Poll Results: Who will be your September 2017 F.O.T.M. ???
stm 2 3.51%
MS88Bronc 6 10.53%
SRWillis 15 26.32%
Cobrajoe 24 42.11%
dash_cam 10 17.54%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

1258Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 07:42 PM
Ford-a-Holic

Bronco Info: 1996 Eddie-Bauer 5.8/1974 Bronco 351C
So I swapped out the 33 BFG's for the 37's from the '93 on and found that I could still use some more clearance up front:

So I cut two inches out of the coil buckets and did an add a leaf.

This was the look I was aiming for.....

....But, I apparently over shot the run way a bit, and ended up with this:

Now it's decision time, what do I want to do and where do I go from here?

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years

My Build Thread
https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic57969_2.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 09:42 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1981 Bronco, 4.9L, T18, NP208, Detroit Truetracs front and rear
After driving it and making sure it was safe enough, I talked the Mrs. into going for a ride. As she was getting in, she said something like, "This things a piece of junk." How could she say such a thing! Well, I hadn't cleaned it up much, and it didn't look too good, but I had put some towels on the seat! Anyway, that gave me the motivation to start making the interior look a little better.

I had planned on a new stereo, so I sold a nice Springfield Trophy Match that had been built my a retired Marine armorer to fund it (and have some left over for other goodies). I didn't want something too outrageous, just one I can crank up a little bit from time to time.

I also needed to get the windows working better, so I took the door panels off and the old speakers out, sprayed sprayed Gunk on the doors then hosed 30+ years of desert dust out out of them. But while doing that, I of coarse got water on the floorboards which ran to the sill plates. I could just see the dust I figured was under there turning to mud. So that lead to pulling the sill plates off and pulling the vinyl covering up to check things out.

Of coarse they tore, so that lead to pulling it all out. I figured now would be good a time as any to take care of any rust...

Hey, I just figured out how to get rid of the pic labeling, so I'll go back and clean the rest up.
post #43 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 01:38 AM
stm
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1987 FSB, 5.0, EB, C-6/ 1993 FSB, 5,0, XLT, E4OD
Little experiment with HDR and low light pictures... :-)))

1987, FSB, 5.0, EB, c-6, Black Hoss, some oldy, some rusty, milestone is over 1 000 000 miles.
1993, FSB, 5.0, XLT, E4OD, White Mare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 01:42 AM
stm
Fullsize Member

How pictures from Supermotors are displayed here for you, US users? Is it can be saw at once or need to go to Supermotors for update status of DDoS protection?
cobrajoe and dash_cam like this.

1987, FSB, 5.0, EB, c-6, Black Hoss, some oldy, some rusty, milestone is over 1 000 000 miles.
post #45 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 06:09 AM
Ford-a-Holic

The pics look great and we can view them on this page.
BikerPepe` and dash_cam like this.

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years

My Build Thread
post #46 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 10:59 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, 6" lift, 4.56 gears, 35" GY MT/Rs, front locker, rear LSD, rear disc conversion
Garage
OK...Christmas morning everyone!

New stereo equipment for the ride! Since I had only one functioning speaker, the rear left, I could barely hear anything from the original stereo cassette player. (Damn, in retrospect, I should have tried some of my old tapes!)

Ta dah!

Had to go out and get this done immediately! Well, I had to wait for the kids, wife, and In-laws to open their crap first!

And then the head unit and amp:

I'll have to back and snap a few shots of the amp install location - pretty slick spot tucked in behind the glovebox for easy access if need be.

So, after the install, only rear speakers worked. I was getting the from the wife, so I had to come back inside and watch the kids destroy all the toys we had just bought them.

EVENTUALLY, I got back to it and instead of trying to trace down a bad spot in the speaker wires, I just ran new wires. Man, it is tough to push that wire through the little rubber sleeve in the door jamb! Either way, I got it done and I had some jams in all 4 speakers! The sounds is decent, but a subwoofer is definitely on my wish list now. I plan to build a custom center console and incorporate a rear firing 10" or 12" sub with maybe a 400-600 watt amp tucked under the seat perhaps. Again, job for future me.

Anyway...... GOT TUNES

MS88Bronc
Don't be fooled by the name,
1996 XL with 5.8L/E4OD/BW1356,
4.56 gears with lockers

-->My Build Thread<--
***GO NOMINATE AND VOTE FOR FULLSIZE OF THE MONTH HERE!!***
post #47 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 09:35 PM
Ford-a-Holic

Okay, so I went through this with the orange truck, figuring I had jacked that thing up really high when I did the lift for the 37's. Me and a couple of friends were sitting around the shop back then drinking some beer, pretty late into the evening, when we come up with an idea. Let's grab one of the 44's I have sitting around up stairs and throw it on, it'll look bad ass! So, several beers later, I grab one and carry it down the stairs ( I was much younger then ) and jack the truck up and bolt it on the back. I let the truck down and I suddenly realized how huge these things really are. I let the jack down and the rear quarter is now resting on the tire, this is definitely not gonna work.

Fast forward many years, and the same thought comes to mind, less the beer and the friends. I go up stairs and see the stack of 44's piled up, one on top of the other. My age makes me think first, but by gone years makes me want to try it. Several minutes later ( probably more like 10 ) I slide the top one of and onto the ground, really not remembering them being this heavy. I proceed to roll, not carry, it down the two flights of stairs when I suddenly loose it about 5 steps from the bottom and watch it crash through the railing like a bulldozer, trying to remember when I got this pathetic.

The infamous stairs:

After rebuilding my railing, I figured I was into to deep to call it quits now, so I throw ( more like struggle ) it on the passenger side rear and all of a sudden the 37's looked tiny:

Now I need to repeat the process three more times if I'm gonna pursue this route.

BikerPepe`, JGR, stm and 3 others like this.

My Build Thread
post #48 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 10:36 PM
Fullsize Member

I, like MS88Bronc, went with an Alpine head unit and amp, but I went with Polk marine speakers. I had been working on it and was almost finished when my 5 yr old grandson was visiting and wanted to "help" me work on the Bronco. So we went to the garage. He climbed up in it and said, "This thang is all tore up." I tried to explain you sometimes have to tear things up to make them better, but I'm not sure he grasped the concept. But, he was the first one, along with me, to hear the new radio play some classic rock.

Here's the mounting plate I spent way to much time on. Finished pics later.

Fall was coming, so installed the new heater core, made this heat plate for the Edelbrock intake and piped them up.

I started cleaning up and inspecting the floor. The passenger side was the worse, I think from the heater core leaking and soaking the padding, and that only a couple small holes on the right towards the top which I filled with seam sealer.

Driver's side. As can be seen, there are areas that the paint flaked off when cleaning up. I cleaned up the bare areas and the surface rust on the floors and sprayed them with Rustoleum.

The wire ways/drain areas where the floor meets the rocker panels had the same combination of bare areas and surface rust. I decided to just spray them with Fluid Film, which I learned about here on the forum.

Openings at the bottom of the B pilars had quite a bit of dust in them but were in good shape and got the same Fluid Film treatment.

Up next, a step or two backwards.
BikerPepe`, JGR, stm and 2 others like this.
post #49 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 10:45 PM
Fullsize Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrajoe View Post
My age makes me think first, but by gone years makes me want to try it...really not remembering them being this heavy...trying to remember when I got this pathetic.
Well said brother, I can relate.
cobrajoe likes this.
post #50 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 05:49 AM
stm
Fullsize Member

Was found strange thing at last weekend. :-) Nice small beach and shores around this lake turn to flood zone:-))))
Was cloud weather at first, and was looks as rainy autumn season, trees at counter shore started to change to autumn colors... Small beach was there, where metal construction with gull on top.

But hour later sun was came and all change to summer weather :-)))) Those bushes so was at bank... It under water now....

We try to find road for passing around this group of lakes, road was underwater now! But what a lonely scenery!!! And no one around!!!

Church behind lake

And Bronco at front...

Drown your horse! :-)))

The bay of pigs The bog of horses :-))))

Road somewhere here under... It sand built was and was need to check on feet walking through before went truck :-))) Reconnaissance told about it was pretty hard, was no deep pits, quicksands...

Big horse like swim:-)))

Like from advertising materials... :-))))

Old destroyed pump station

Others sites from that trip

BikerPepe`, JGR, cobrajoe and 2 others like this.

post #51 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 06:05 AM
stm
Fullsize Member

And as usually - some creative show-off:-)))

BikerPepe`, JGR, cobrajoe and 3 others like this.

post #52 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 11:47 AM

Bronco Info: 1996 EB, 351w, stock-ish. 1981 custom 351m, long gone.
Garage
alright!

a year out of high school, i sold my 67 mustang and bought this trusty steed. it was a gas guzzler with zero appointments, including non-functioning AC. i got about 8 MPG. it was awesome, but i eventually got tired of sweating my ass off in the summer and freezing in the winter. plus the back window was unreliable (i didn't know about the safety switch). i eventually sold that for the comforts of EFI, AC, and decent gas mileage. i bought a 93 ford ranger. BORING, but i loved it, too.

well, fast forward however long and here i was with a daughter about to be driving age. since i'm not the type to gift a car to my kids, i decided i needed a new vehicle for myself. well...at that point i knew the time had come that i needed another bronco. so here we are.

i settled very specifically on what i wanted. i wanted a 96 with a 351w XLT, with 2-tone paint..blue and silver if i could pick. i wanted the 351w b/c there's no replacement for displacement. and i wanted 96 because of the OBD2. not to mention that a 96/351 combo gives you mass air vs speed density. and there is no ridiculous SMOG / emission crap on the 96 351, either. and the 96 is, of course, the most updated E4OD. really, in my book, the 96/351w is the greatest combo and that's why i bought one. yea, i said it.

that said, when you're looking for such a specific variety of an (at the time) 19 year old vehicle, you have to either have a deep pocket book or cast a wide net. my pockets are extremely shallow. i cast a wide net by using the internet in my search. i found this truck in tucson, AZ...nearly 1,000 miles away. however, it was the right price. and, it was pretty much stock. here are some pics from the sales ad. rust free. straight body. runs and drives. SOLD! i flew out within a day or two and drove it home.

when i got there, we had to unbury the camper shell. PO left it off full time. and i had to re-attach the front bumper. PO had damaged it trying to pull someone with a tow strap tied to it. doh!

post #53 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 04:50 PM

Garage
i'm not sure where to start with what all i've done to this thing over the last couple years. it's needed a lot of work. if you can believe it, the previous owner of 7 years didn't do anything to it maintenance wise. when i got it home i made an immediate list of things to work on.

leaky rear-main seal
leaky back window (doesn't seal)
oil pan leaks
steering gear leaks
a/c doesn't work
back window/tailgate sensor problem
incredibly soft steering
engine won't warm up properly
no heater
only one speaker worked
airbag light is on
completely worn out interior - seats, carpet, and dash
front bumper is damaged, needs to be replaced

i did a bunch of stuff that i didn't think to capture in pictures, so you'll have to take my word for it. i did complete tune-up as well as replace the tie rods, drag link, radius arm bushings, and axle pivot bushings. i also replaced the steering gear with a reman from the parts store. (wasn't any tighter, but it didn't leak)

then i did some brake work, too.

this was behind my front wheel lock. someone was too cheap to buy a lock nut conversion.

then i decided it was probably time for a new set of calipers.

the brake fluid was black

and i pulled the trigger on a new set of hub locks, too.

post #54 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 07:36 PM
Ford-a-Holic

Well, it's no surprise to anyone which route I went from the nomination pic that was posted at the beginning of the thread.
I sucked it up and brought the other 3 tires down ( this time I used the cable hoist, with age, comes wisdom, so they say anyways. ) and mounted them up, and hey, why not? Who cares if it's not practical, it looks cool, right?

I did ending up having to go to the zero rate blocks to move the rear 1 1/2" back as you can see by these pics.

Unfortunately, after adding a 1" Zero rate, I ended up an inch higher in the back and had to swap out the 3" block for a 2".

BikerPepe`, stm, dash_cam and 2 others like this.

My Build Thread
post #55 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 09:41 PM
Fullsize Member

Well, from bad influence of hanging out here I decided now would be the time to do a 3G upgrade and that meant I needed to take the instrument cluster back out (I had already taken it out and did some work on it) and convert the ammeter to a volt meter. I bought an aftermarket volt meter and installed the works in the original ammeter housing.

Here's the cluster after I cut the needles off to match the new volt meter needle and painted them all with Model Master Fluorescent Red FS28915. I modified the printed circuit so the volt meter could be wired separately. I also cleaned up the speedo by blacking out thekm/h markings.

Here's the 3G hanging on the motor. I do have a problem with belt slippage and squeeling after starting, anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes, depending on how much cranking is needed to fire it up. I don't know if it is just this particular alternator or not, but it should be taken care of with the serpentine conversion.

Here's the new wiring with the megafuse and you can see the relays for the new headlight harness. I wired in a couple extra fuse holders and ran an extra wire to the driver's side for future use.

post #56 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 09:57 PM

Garage
another problem i faced was my plethora of water leaks. one of those was coming through the tailgate and into the back. my first fix. BOOM!

i found out the skin was ripped on the passenger side. so, i had it tack welded. (one of the few things i've paid to have done on my vehicle)

and then i put a little lipstick on that pig

over time, though, that broke, too. eventually came fix #2

BikerPepe`, stm, cobrajoe and 2 others like this.
post #57 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 10:30 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, 6" lift, 4.56 gears, 35" GY MT/Rs, front locker, rear LSD, rear disc conversion
Garage
I had been wanting some side steps for some time after bringing this rig home. I wasn't really sure what to get, so I just figured I would wait and keep my eyes open for steps I like. I was thinking nerf bars at first, but without a body lift, there isn't much room to step on it. I didn't really want to spend a bunch of money either, so one day, I was tooling around my local Cabela's store in the auto section. They had a set of Carr Super Hoops on sale 50% off, for about $75. Plus, I had a bunch of Cabela's points from my credit card, so I picked them up (and some other items) for nothing out of pocket!

Before:

The hardware:

So, I knew going in that this setup probably wouldn't bolt right up to a 28 year old truck - I was right. I had to call Carr and have them send the right hardware - so now I was about $20 out of pocket.

Then they went on just fine:

Some outside looks:

MS88Bronc
Don't be fooled by the name,
1996 XL with 5.8L/E4OD/BW1356,
4.56 gears with lockers

-->My Build Thread<--
***GO NOMINATE AND VOTE FOR FULLSIZE OF THE MONTH HERE!!***
post #58 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 02:36 PM
Ford-a-Holic

So by going to the 9", I had to come up with a VSS for the speedo and transmission to work correctly. I went with this unit from Desolate Motorsports:

I also had to do something about my driveshaft angle because of the extreme lift, so I removed the factory skidplate and crossmemeber and lowered the transmission/transfer case on a dead-man until I had the correct angle; about 4" lower.
Now I just have to come up with a plan to keep it there.

BikerPepe`, stm, dash_cam and 2 others like this.

My Build Thread
post #59 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 01:49 AM
stm
Fullsize Member

Something go wrong yesterday... When I was at returning path, left rear wheel start chirping/squeaking sounds, more and more with each next mile. Seems something in brake mechanism destroyed...
dash_cam likes this.

post #60 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 10:22 AM

Garage
well...with the bronco's brakes fixed and steering improved, it was getting into the summer. time to go on our first bronco vacation. the bronco came with the towing package already, which means (among other things) it's pre-wired for a brake controller and has a 7-pin trailer connector already.

i installed a 10,000lb class 4 hitch

relocated the connector to make room for the hitch

got myself a nice trailer brake because safety first

did some serious custom work for my trailer brake mounting bracket

and installed the plug-and-play wiring

and off we went to beaver's bend in OK. you can see how bad the bumper looks from the PO's bad decision making
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Ford Bronco Forum > Welcome > F.O.T.M Voting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode