September 2017 F.O.T.M. Vote here !!!!! - Page 4 - Ford Bronco Forum
View Poll Results: Who will be your September 2017 F.O.T.M. ???
stm 2 3.51%
MS88Bronc 6 10.53%
SRWillis 15 26.32%
Cobrajoe 24 42.11%
dash_cam 10 17.54%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

1258Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 10:47 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1981 Bronco, 4.9L, T18, NP208, Detroit Truetracs front and rear
While working on the interior, I wanted to get rid of some red and wanted to paint the plastic trim either gray or black. The dash pad was really bad and I found one much better locally on CL.

Since I probably would never have it this far along again, I decided to pull the dash to paint it also. What a mess I've gotten into now!

I had a couple small things I needed to take care of while I had the dash off, but then I found the blend door hinge was broken. I fixed it the way Ford should have done it. Getting it back in there and bolted up was probably the most frustrating thing I've done on this truck.

I had read on here about evaporators getting plugged up and becoming a fire hazzard, so I pulled mine and found this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 03:57 PM
Ford-a-Holic

Bronco Info: 1996 Eddie-Bauer 5.8/1974 Bronco 351C
I was fortunate enough to have a good friend who builds boat towers help me fab up a drop mount. I sketched up some "stick figure" pictures of what I wanted to do and went to see him. He told me he was sure that he could build it, but had no idea what the hell I was talking about, so we went over to my shop and drank a few beers and came up with a plan. Everything made more sense to him now, (what can I say, he was a Jeep guy) that he could see it in person.
The next day we bought the materials and had at it.
Here some pics of what we did. I gained almost 4" of drop in the end.

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years

MY BUILD THREAD
post #63 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 04:10 PM
Ford-a-Holic

The assembly:

Tacking it together for a test fit:

The test fit and final trim before making attaching plates:

I really like the way it hugs the transfer case contours. He was reluctant to do it that way, but in the end, ( and several more "adult beverages" ) he agreed it looked a lot better. The double hoop design makes for a lot more protection.

Now we just need to make a transmission mount.

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years

MY BUILD THREAD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 04:25 PM
Ford-a-Holic

The addition of the tranny mount and a quick sandblasting to clean it up:

A couple of coats of RustBullet. ( I probably should have tossed it as it was getting pretty thick; lesson learned; don't buy it by the gallon unless you are going to use it all at once)

Now to do something about that horrible angle on those radius arms with these drop brackets.

MY BUILD THREAD
post #65 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 04:50 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, 6" lift, 4.56 gears, 35" GY MT/Rs, front locker, rear LSD, rear disc conversion
Garage
I had been looking for a Lund visor for a while with no luck. I guess these things just get brittle and/or damaged over time - and no one ever seems to remove them. Anyway, after a while, fellow member here let me know that he had one for sale - and he was local.

SO I drove the hour or so away to go get it. I brought it home and put it in the garage for another day. Fast-forward a couple months, I decide to go after it.

First, a test fit:

All seems good, so I ordered some mounting hardware from eBay.

Now, the brown paint wasn't doing it for me, and I had some specific paint plans for down the road, so satin black was the paint for this:

Then, after some drying time...drilling, marine sealant, and a few screws and caps:

The transformation begins...

MS88Bronc
Don't be fooled by the name,
1996 XL with 5.8L/E4OD/BW1356,
4.56 gears with lockers

-->My Build Thread<--
***GO NOMINATE AND VOTE FOR FULLSIZE OF THE MONTH HERE!!***
post #66 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 05:11 PM
Fullsize Member

As I said, I wanted to get rid of some of the red, actually most of it in the interior. I searched a bunch and only found one source for seat covers. They seem to be well made and fit pretty good. Got rid of about 6 yards of red!

I splurged and got the map pockets added to the back

On a mild day in February it got to 65 and started out sunny. I was planning on painting in the garage but ended up spraying the dash and A pillar trim outside. I had bought some Color Bond off of eBay. It was listed as Graphite, but ended up being Medium Graphite. I thought I'd try it anyway, but it ended up not looking so good; it looked like light gray primer. So I made a trip to O'Reilly's and made an executive decision to go with black and am much more satisfied. I used Krylon Fusion for Plastic in Satin Black. It seems to be pretty tough. More red gone!

post #67 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 09:50 PM
Ford-a-Holic

Time to address the radius arm brackets; I was extremely happy with the way the skidplate/trans mount came out , so I went and see my buddy with my new plan. I wanted at least another 4" of drop in my radius arm, but didn't want to buy different brackets for two reasons, one; I didn't want to turn my chassis into Swiss Cheese buy drilling more holes , and secondly;I needed 6" of drop. My plan was to copy the existing brackets out of heavier material and utilize the same bolt pattern and adding 2 additional holes.

I started by boring and turning down some round stock on the lathe for the bushings. I had to do this out of two separate pieces and weld them together because I utilized stock that I had.

Then shear the pieces and boar the hole for the bushing:

tack it in place as well as the other pieces:

you can see the radius's match the originals, just heavier material:

MY BUILD THREAD
post #68 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 09:59 PM
Ford-a-Holic

Now it's just finish welding:

...and mount:

In the end, I only had to plug weld one hole in the frame from each of the original brackets and was quite happy with the way it matched the transfer case bracket.

MY BUILD THREAD
post #69 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 12:07 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, 6" lift, 4.56 gears, 35" GY MT/Rs, front locker, rear LSD, rear disc conversion
Garage
So, as my master plan for this Bronco starts to manifest itself, it's starting to look a little more like I want it to look. A part of this plan is to paint the topper black, but I didn't want a glossy look. So I chose a satin black to go with - the same as the Lund visor. So I washed the topper with a scrub brush, took a scotch-brite pad to it, wiped it all down with a microfiber cloth, and let it dry out in the sun. I found a spot in the shadow of my house, and went to town on it. I did two coats and figured I would let it set and see how it turned out.

Before:

After:

I think I like it so far.

MS88Bronc
4.56 gears with lockers

-->My Build Thread<--
post #70 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 06:43 PM
Ford-a-Holic

Something else I forgot to mention, I swapped the IFS from the '93 over as I had already installed RCV axles in it. I also plated and added some small gussets for the time being, but with this much lift, I need to be looking for a set of cut n' turn housings. My plan is to get it back on the road and then save up and buy gears and a set of cut n' turns over the winter, then get back on it in the spring.

As far as this project goes; building one truck and rebuilding another at the same time, is starting to get a little old.

BikerPepe`, JGR, stm and 2 others like this.

MY BUILD THREAD
post #71 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 08:05 PM
Ford-a-Holic

....'cause that means that everything from the pitman arm down from the '95 had to go into the '93:

...including the 8.8 and suspension:

BikerPepe`, JGR, stm and 3 others like this.

MY BUILD THREAD
post #72 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 09:56 PM
Fullsize Member

I also got my dash pad and door panels cleaned up and painted.

I got the intake heater plate installed and the heater hoses connected to it and the new heater core. I was going to start it to check for leaks, but it wouldn't start. In researching, I found that the Duraspark system should use the coil designed for it. So, I ordered one from Rock Auto along with the connector. Also found a good deal on a Duraspark module on eBay and ordered it. I also checked the wire harness between the module and distributor and found some bare wires, so I remade the harness. After all this was installed it fired right up.

While I had the interior mostly stripped and the top off, I figured it would be the best time to repair the roof cracks. I found a lot of help and references in the forum on how to do this. I have done a little welding, but not on sheetmetal. My buddy offered to let me use his mig machine, so...

Started cutting access panels. Had to bring my 3/4 hole saw home from work to finish.

Passenger side wasn't too bad.

Driver's side a bit worse.

Here's the driver's side after burning a lot of wire and doing a lot of grinding

Made the reinforcements for the inside, 2 for each side.

Cleaned the insides up real good and glued the reinforcements in with this.

Passenger side.

Driver's side in primer.

Painted and prepped for cover.

Covers glued and riveted on.

Next up; get the interior back together.
post #73 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 10:42 PM
Fullsize Member

Garage
September 2017 F.O.T.M. Vote here !!!!!

So, by now, many of you have probably notices the gross-looking, old, peeling decal running down the length of the truck, just above the black moulding. It is faded with no color (other than this dirty brown) and needs to go...but how? Lots of thought went into this...

Here's the decal before I attacked it:

Here's what I used to attack it:

So, here we go - a short video of me removing the old decal. (by the way, it's hard to video with the left and use the drill with the right - and I wasn't able to put much pressure on it with one hand only. It worked better when I wasn't videoing. (turn your volume down unless you want to have your ear holes invaded by power drill scream)

https://youtu.be/Tx3KHPi9S6I

Some more pics of the process:

While I was trying to get this work done so I can stop looking at this awful decal, this was happening. It's no wonder I can never get anything done around here!

Overall, I give the decal eraser wheel an A-. It got almost all of it, but couldn't get a few spots. Very pleased

I got it from Amazon here:
ABN Decal Eraser Wheel Pinstripe Removal Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HZ4ABKS..._1Vl1PGAtX2Xn1
BikerPepe`, stm, cobrajoe and 2 others like this.

MS88Bronc
4.56 gears with lockers

-->My Build Thread<--
post #74 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 08:10 AM
Fullsize Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS88Bronc View Post
While I was trying to get this work done so I can stop looking at this awful decal, this was happening. It's no wonder I can never get anything done around here!
Looks like they're tryin' to help to me. Probably gettin' warmed up to give the Bronco a bath!
cobrajoe, dash_cam and MS88Bronc like this.
post #75 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 08:53 AM
Fullsize Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRWillis View Post
Looks like they're tryin' to help to me. Probably gettin' warmed up to give the Bronco a bath!

Exactly, we did give it a bath afterwards! I had my boy spray off all of the eraser dust! (And the young one too!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cobrajoe, dash_cam and SRWillis like this.

MS88Bronc
4.56 gears with lockers

-->My Build Thread<--
post #76 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 02:23 PM
Fullsize Member

Garage
Well, after getting the decal off, I was liking the way it was coming together. Now, I had been looking for a roof rack for some time, but since I am on a tight budget, I didn't want to spend hundreds on a new roof system. I found this rail/crossbar system from a suburban for sale locally for $75.

So I contacted the guy and told him that $75 was a little higher than I wanted to spend. He later wrote me and said he would take $20 since no one had bit on it and he just wanted it gone. I was like 50% sure it would work with a little modification, and $20 is not a big loss if it didn't work, so I picked it up. When I test fit it on the roof, I discovered three things - it was waaaaayyyyy too long (but I knew that), the width was perfect, and the topper needed another coat of paint.

So I did a little trimming of the length, sprayed it with more of the satin black I had left over, and drilled holes, applied more marine sealant, and bolted it on.

Sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MS88Bronc
4.56 gears with lockers

-->My Build Thread<--
post #77 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 03:40 PM
Ford-a-Holic

^ Nicely done.
dash_cam and MS88Bronc like this.

MY BUILD THREAD
post #78 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 08:42 PM
Fullsize Member

I got the dash back on along with the dash pad. I had to clean the floor up again, then I used Frost King duct insulation to help with sound and heat. It goes down pretty good and is pretty easy to form to the irregular sheetmetal. The white stuff in the passenger area is foamboard to replace the silver colored kinda moldy material that was there. I think its purpose is to allow any water that would come in from the back to drain to the rocker box area, then out the bottom.

Next laid the ACC carpet I got from @RockAuto , which fit very well.

Still a lot of trim to go, but with the seat and seat belts back in it's drivable again!

post #79 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 08:54 PM
Ford-a-Holic

I am actually building this truck as a plow truck, not so much for commercial purposes, but to keep my driveway/road open. So, I mounted my plow push plates which gave me a great mounting surface for the front sway bar. I've done this before and it work quite well, as it lowers the mounting point with the added lift.

In case you were wondering, I've already lowered my plow A frame. The three lower holes that are welded up are the original mounting holes.

Once the push plates were up, I finished up the Super Runner steering:

BikerPepe`, JGR, stm and 3 others like this.

MY BUILD THREAD
post #80 of 256 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 12:13 AM
Retired Staff

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/E4OD/MassAir/6" lift/4.56's/33x12.5 GYW DuraTracs
Garage
I knew I should have just bought a welder and some metal stock instead of all new, smaller tires to mount on my plow beast.

great work guys. seriously enjoying this months show.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Ford Bronco Forum > Welcome > F.O.T.M Voting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode