I also pulled the tranny out of the '93 so I could reuse the Billet Machined Torque Converter that I had installed last year in the '96.
Then I pulled the '96 out and swapped the converters:
While I had the tranny/transfer case out I worked on the underside. First thing I did was address the rusted heat shields:
I plan on adding a body lift, so figured the added space and airflow would work in my favor and allow me to remove these rusted out panels and clean up and protect the newly exposed sheet metal. I grabbed a 3/16" bit and drilled out all the rivets holding them in place:
After a few minutes I had a nice pile of rusted crap on the floor:
I won't bore you with a lot of details, but I have been meaning to work on this rusted out brace on the driver's side quarter panel and figured now was the time:
I hit it with a grinder and and a wire wheel to prep the area and cut out a pice of 14 gauge i had in the shop:
I tacked it in place:
...and then finish welding it...
Same with the other side:
I fabbed up a lower piece and tacked that in:
I opted to leave it off the bottom of the quarter panel, not sure if it's a good idea, but I did and welded it all up: