F.O.T.M Voting > January 2018 F.O.T.M. Vote here !!!!! - Page 3 - Ford Bronco Forum
View Poll Results: Who will be your January 2018 F.O.T.M. ???
cstrike 23 46.00%
Njbronco74 3 6.00%
JCG74 8 16.00%
mtnmotoadv 11 22.00%
96bronco 5 10.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

1132Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 161 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 05:43 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 86 302/AOD on 8 lugs. 96 302/ZF5.
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYFSB View Post
Great Welding!
Thanks man! But here's the trick to looking good on the forum..... I only take pics of the projects that turn out well! Welding is a funny thing, just when I think I have it all figured out I'll have a project that just kicks my butt and I get some ugly welds. Especially with the MIG, really easy to learn, but difficult to master.

Day 8:

I'm kind of lost on where I am in my story but somewhere around this time my father and step-mother came out for a visit. They love the Southwest and although they've seen Sedona several times, this trip included a leisurely drive down Schnebly Hill Rd. This dirt road takes you from the highway outside Flagstaff (7000') down along the Mogollon rim and into Sedona (4000') with views you can't get from pavement. Things were starting to get serious between my wife and I and she was all excited to play host to my folks.

I very much love playing tour guide to friends and family that comes to visit and the Bronco is perfect for showing folks around. Reversing the rear seat was a big hit and my folks got a kick out of being chauffeured around. Looking back at this photo I see I had already installed 4Ē Deaver springs. This was part of me trying to smooth out the ride and the Deavers were a big improvement over the no-name springs that came with the truck.

The only down side of being the tour guide is that I canít partake in a refreshing beverage.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 161 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 12:07 PM
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter

Bronco Info: '95 302 XLT
OK folks come on, It's been 8 days and only 6 VOTES !!!

We have a GREAT group this Month so lets show them the love we have for OUR sport

Thanks,
Allcruisen
Happster and cobrajoe like this.

VOTE For FOTM !!!

"DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR"
post #43 of 161 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 04:43 PM
Wild Cayuse

Bronco Info: 85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by allcruisen View Post

We have a GREAT group this Month so lets show them the love we have for OUR sport

Thanks,
Allcruisen
Hey Felix, we've been trying to get members to hold their votes till the end. Our thoughts are that it'll create a more competitive competition, so members don't drop out due to one person running away with it. We've been discussing it in the suggestions section.

...resume the awesome competition fellas!

Vote for Full-size Of The Month in January, March, May,
July, and September!

FOTM forum section
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 161 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 07:43 PM
Ford-a-Holic

Bronco Info: 1996 Eddie-Bauer 5.8/1974 Bronco 351C
Quote:
Originally Posted by allcruisen View Post

Thanks,
Allcruisen
Saving mine for the end....

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years

MY BUILD THREAD
post #45 of 161 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 02:17 AM
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter

Bronco Info: '95 302 XLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue 94 View Post
Hey Felix, we've been trying to get members to hold their votes till the end. Our thoughts are that it'll create a more competitive competition, so members don't drop out due to one person running away with it. We've been discussing it in the suggestions section.

...resume the awesome competition fellas!
Gotcha, I missed the memo...

VOTE For FOTM !!!

"DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR"
post #46 of 161 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 07:34 AM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
Day 9:

The fun part of this contest for me is that I am finding pictures of things I forgot completely about. In my last update I mentioned that I added 4” Deaver coils to improve the ride. Looking back, it wasn’t because the coils the previous owner had installed were simply too stiff, it was because he had modified the lower spring mount to reuse his TTB springs. I didn't have any recollection of this little adventure until I sorted pics.

To run the 78-79 style Deavers, I needed to mod the spring cups. This also gave me a chance to address some bowing that I was getting because I still had the TTB coil towers up top.

My method was to torch out his TTB add-ons and then cut some Ĺ” block to re-weld in the center of the cup.

Now I’ll admit this is redneck engineering but I would argue that the Ĺ” block fully welded top and bottom was perfectly safe. More importantly, by having that Ĺ” to play with I easily had enough adjustability to find the right placement that positioned my springs straight.

While it was out I spent some quality time with the wire wheel and replaced some shot bearings.

I had purchased a Spartan lunchbox locker to install in the front but was surprised to see I had a limited slip. Sounds like a good find but the Spartan doesn’t fit that carrier. I debated rebuilding the trac-lok but decided to start saving for a different locker.

Last edited by cstrike; 01-09-2018 at 07:36 AM.
post #47 of 161 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 10:26 AM

Bronco Info: 1974 bronco sport and 1996 bronco xlt
Garage
after my two part epoxy primer, i followed up with a 2k black primer...

Then it gets terrible. I sprayed my truck twice with sanding down to primer each time and this is what I got...

So not running into the glass door for a third time I had painted by a local shop. Turns out my original epoxy coat was bad. I reproduced for my painter and he agreed I did everything by the instructions, was just a bad batch. Eastwood actually made good on it.

heres the final color all nice and shiny..

gave the hard top a coat of black satin paint.

I took the windshield out but had zero interest in trying to get that thing glued in. Plus it was only $175 installed cant go wrong.

All this happened up until last thanksgiving of 2016. Was a weird fall. It was high 60's up to turkey day..

This is the end of my workshop season...

drove her like that for the winter with bad paint until spring when I lost her for three months to get completly stripped and repainted for the final time.

1996 Bronco xlt
1974 bronco sport

Last edited by Quader1; 01-17-2018 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Delete IMG tags
post #48 of 161 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 01:58 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 89'BKO 94í351RB/AFR165/Scorpion RR 1.7/EddyPerfAirGapIntake/FiTech600 4R70W BW1356 TTB44 9" 35"MTRís
Good morning everyone. It's a rainy day here in Socal and I am really missing my Bronco right now. All the job sites are under water and days like this are usually set aside for me to go play.

As I stated in a previous post, it's in the shop right now getting some upgrades done. I do not have any cool build photos or anything due to being fortunate enough to have acquired a rig that was some what ready for play. I should have some progress photos soon though and figured I would share exactly what is being done at this time and the direction I am headed with this vehicle. I also received a call this morning stating that my new seats should be ready for pickup tomorrow. What I ordered was some PRP Enduro Highbacks in a desert camo. I chose the Enduro because of of it's ability to recline forward/back. Extra wide and extra tall... I am 6' 6" and 260 lbs. Fabric is cordura and seats will be fit with 5 point harnesses and heated. They will be mounted on Solo Motorsports custom PRP sliders. Nothing for the rear yet. Here's a pic of my order from their website.

Also being done is the install of Solo Motorsports Full Interior Pre-Runner Cage and aluminum body mounts. This cage stood out to me while searching for for a W-I-Y Kit for months. Complete with A-pillar, roof webbing, corner gussets, and pontoons all tied directly into frame. This will give me some safety confidence while crawling or hauling butt in the desert, rather than telling my passengers "You might wanna get out while I do this". Here's a pic of it from the web.

That giant, HEAVY, in-destructible steel winch bumper is also going bye-bye.

While it's integrity probably far exceeds any thing else on the truck, it just sticks out way too far and way too low. Did I mention it's also very HEAVY? It really makes approach/exit angles difficult in the rocks. It will be replaced with their pre-runner bumper & valance, but customized to accomodate the WARN 12000 winch and fairlead. Also fitted with 40" LED light bar. Here's a pic from the web to get a general idea.

The last thing being completed during this visit is the removal of the C6 tranny and install of a built AOD that I picked up from a friend who had it in his 73' Bronco with 351W. It has less than 10,000 miles on it, shift kit, etc... He yanked it all out to do a Ford Coyote and 6 speed swap. I need an OD bad for our trips we like to do. With the 3 speed and 4:11 gears on 35's, I am over 2500 rpm's at 60. So I have to cruise while everyone else is doing 70. Kinda sucks.

That all being said, these upgrades should be completed well before the end of the month and I'll have plenty of photos to share. I won't lie...I am very excited.

My goal is to build/have built a rig that is capable of semi-extreme rock crawling and then going 70 mph through the whoops on the way back to camp. My next visit to Solo will be for their Stage 6 Trophy Long Travel Kit, which includes 4-linked rear suspension this summer. Followed by a Ford Coyote, 6R80 six speed, and Atlas 4 speed swap. Hopefully by next spring...can't wait.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ford-Bronco-Prerunner-Cage-1-600x464.jpg (23.2 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7397.JPG (105.9 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg 698.JPG (197.1 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg 897.JPG (213.8 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpg 896.JPG (191.4 KB, 228 views)

Last edited by JCG74; 01-09-2018 at 02:01 PM.
post #49 of 161 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 03:48 PM

Bronco Info: (2) 1996 EB 5.8L Red and a 1994 Eddie Bauer (5.8L)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmotoadv View Post
Went up for a quick drive in the mountains.

Came across this majestic guy.

I sure do love living here in Godís Big Sky Country. And so does my BKO.
scenery like that would almost be worth dealing with the snow for several months a year/...... almost.
post #50 of 161 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 04:16 PM

Bronco Info: '93 XLT/351W/E4OD/4" Lift/35" Grabber AT2's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemeth8 View Post
scenery like that would almost be worth dealing with the snow for several months a year/...... almost.

Itís worth it!

post #51 of 161 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 04:18 PM

Bronco Info: (2) 1996 EB 5.8L Red and a 1994 Eddie Bauer (5.8L)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmotoadv View Post
Itís worth it!

I don't doubt it..... I used to live in Cold and Windy Nebraska and I learned to hate snow... but we didn't have the views you do in Montana!
itwasFREE!!!! and cobrajoe like this.
post #52 of 161 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemeth8 View Post
I don't doubt it..... I used to live in Cold and Windy Nebraska and I learned to hate snow... but we didn't have the views you do in Montana!
What we have going for us around here is no humidity or wind.
20 degrees here feels way warmer than 20 degrees ever felt where I grew up in GA.
post #53 of 161 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 06:46 AM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
Day 10:

After I upgraded to the 35Ē tires I wanted a little more height in the rear. After lots of reading here on FSB I decided to go with Hefty Fabís shackle flip. I initially thought I only wanted the brackets and could reuse my stock shackles. The brackets are beautiful and itís too bad Hefty moved on to Toyotas!

It seemed like I should at least add some reinforcement to the stock shackle while I had them out so I welded in some flat stock.

I played around with the spring hangers a bit. It was tough to center the wheel and get a shackle angle I liked.

Droop:

Compression:

Turns out I wanted a little more height and I knew a little longer shackle could help with the angle. I should have just started with these. Again, the quality of Heftyís work was great!

Eventually I got everything dialed in. I know the RTI ramp isnít the end all measure of a 4x4 but I have this crappy 20* ramp I built from scrap and it is fun to make a tweak and be able to ramp before and after.

post #54 of 161 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 08:36 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 89'BKO 94í351RB/AFR165/Scorpion RR 1.7/EddyPerfAirGapIntake/FiTech600 4R70W BW1356 TTB44 9" 35"MTRís
Just for fun. Have a great day everyone!

Speak softly and drive a big Bronco...You will go far.

Last edited by Quader1; 01-12-2018 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Embed Video
post #55 of 161 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 04:23 PM
FSM Lifetime

Headed out this morning to Temecula, CA to pick up my new seats from PRP.

It's only about an hour drive from my house. They said they'd deliver no charge to the shop, but I was just too excited to wait. Besides, I didn't have anything better to do this morning. Wrapped in plastic, complete with wiring harness for seat heaters, with boxed up belt harnesses ready to load up.

Took off from PRP and headed west to Covina, CA to deliver seats and check on progress at Solo. The first thing I saw when I walked up was...hmmm...is that the original build sheet?! Yes sir! Left between the the carpet/insulation and the bed, it's not in too bad of condition for being 29 years old. It will be ironed out and laminated very soon.

Here you can see the Donkey Knocker has been removed and ready for the scrap yard. The winch will be saved. God that thing was heavy!

Windshield has been removed for access to install/weld the roll cage.

The rock sliders have been removed and frame prep to allow installation/welding of the pontoons as well as the new aluminum body mounts. I will be having them fabricate some new rock sliders, narrower, stronger, and lighter.

To be con't...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image1.jpeg (134.8 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpeg image2.jpeg (97.4 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpeg image3.jpeg (124.2 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpeg image9.jpeg (129.3 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpeg image7.jpeg (123.3 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpeg image11.jpeg (78.6 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpeg image10.jpeg (87.7 KB, 176 views)
post #56 of 161 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 04:43 PM
FSM Lifetime

Here you can see that every thing is being/has been removed from interior to allow install of roll cage & seats. I was considering having the entire tub coated by Linex, but think I'll just re-install all the carpeting. No rust to write home about or areas of concern. Carpet's in near perfect condition, plus the wife likes it. Gotta keep her happy too!

Next big upgrade in near future will include 4 linking the rear end which means all that bed carpeting and rear seat will be going to allow for the 14" coilovers and 16" bypass shocks. The factory seat will no longer fit. I'll have to choose between a narrower two seater from PRP, or just put a single seat right in the center...we'll see.

To be con't...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image4.jpeg (127.6 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpeg image5.jpeg (130.5 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpeg image6.jpeg (109.9 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpeg image12.jpeg (123.8 KB, 189 views)
post #57 of 161 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 06:57 PM
--------------

Bronco Info: '96 XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCG74 View Post
Headed out this morning to Temecula, CA to pick up my new seats from PRP.

It's only about an hour drive from my house. They said they'd deliver no charge to the shop, but I was just too excited to wait. Besides, I didn't have anything better to do this morning. Wrapped in plastic, complete with wiring harness for seat heaters, with boxed up belt harnesses ready to load up.

Took off from PRP and headed west to Covina, CA to deliver seats and check on progress at Solo. The first thing I saw when I walked up was...hmmm...is that the original build sheet?! Yes sir! Left between the the carpet/insulation and the bed, it's not in too bad of condition for being 29 years old. It will be ironed out and laminated very soon.

Here you can see the Donkey Knocker has been removed and ready for the scrap yard. The winch will be saved. God that thing was heavy!

Windshield has been removed for access to install/weld the roll cage.

The rock sliders have been removed and frame prep to allow installation/welding of the pontoons as well as the new aluminum body mounts. I will be having them fabricate some new rock sliders, narrower, stronger, and lighter.

To be con't...

Whoaaa Nelly,
You might want to Hold up for a minute before you go sending that Bumper & Rock Sliders off to the "Scrap Heap".
There "Might" be someone in the Club who would pay "Money" for them there parts.
And it is a good way to help offset the cost for some of them there upgrades too.

Just Sayin'
Dragon
post #58 of 161 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 07:54 PM
FSM Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Dragon View Post
Whoaaa Nelly,
You might want to Hold up for a minute before you go sending that Bumper & Rock Sliders off to the "Scrap Heap".
There "Might" be someone in the Club who would pay "Money" for them there parts.
And it is a good way to help offset the cost for some of them there upgrades too.

Just Sayin'
Dragon
Ok...ok. Iíve pulled back on the reins. I was and am going to keep the sliders, but if there are any members interested in that front bumper...itís theirs free. First come, first serve. Just PM me to discuss. 👍🏻
post #59 of 161 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 08:41 AM
FSM Lifetime

The day before my youngest son left for Boot Camp. We went up to the San Bernardino mountains for a day on the trails in the Bronco. He wore this Brad Pitt mask all day just to joke with others out on trail. I must admit, some of the reactions were priceless. Especially from some of the jeepers. Such a [email protected]# sometimes, but I sure do miss that boy something bad!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1013.JPG (260.8 KB, 201 views)
post #60 of 161 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 04:10 PM

Nice day for a drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Ford Bronco Forum > Welcome > F.O.T.M Voting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode