We have always wanted to do dual batteries in the truck and like I noted in the previous post we finally got the time and money to do so! This project was quite the undertaking because we decided to do the 200 amp alternator, the dual yellow top cells, along with rewiring the entire charging system and the starter solenoid. This is the new alternator:
Pulling out the old battery:
Test fitting the new tray:
And beginning to get the connections for the setup. This was no doubt a hidden cost, these little suckers were around $10 each with the solder plug.
The big 1/0 gauge wire, had we had a chance to go back I might use a higher copper wire count to make it more flexible, this stuff was super stiff and very burly to work with. On the other hand this stuff is more resilient to damage.
The final layout of the wire, and the huge difference between the normal 4 gauge wire to 1/0. I also put shrink wrap on the wire to further insulate it from the weather, and oil and wear it could be induced to, I believe it came out very clean.
Finally getting the new batteries in!
Plugging them in
At first when we first started the truck the battery light was on, probably to be expected. So I went out driving to see if they needed a chance to charge and for the alternator to get a reading of the voltage. After almost 15 minutes of driving I returned to a battery light still on, not knowing that the batteries weren’t charging at all!
After some thinking of what could be wrong, we found out that it was the communication wire for the alternator along with the fuse we used. It wasn’t making proper contact and if we touched it, you could audibility hear it turn on and the battery light disappear. Dumb little thing was hard to track down but as you can see voltage is perfect here