May 2018 F.O.T.M. Vote here !!!!! - Page 3 - Ford Bronco Forum
View Poll Results: Who will be your May 2018 F.O.T.M. ???
stan the man 6 9.09%
Warhoss 14 21.21%
RicksBroncoBeast 23 34.85%
jermil01 20 30.30%
TravisITGuy 3 4.55%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

946Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 125 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 02:48 PM

Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer
Garage
Front bumper done now was the need for a read swing out tire holder. Using a spindle hinge kit I made a Fairly heavy duty bumper with the high mount spare. As all of my projects they are Fab-on-the-Go. Nothing but a thought, steel and a welder...lol My initial bumper mount to the frame was a removable rear bumper that I eventually welded solid because there was too much movement in the slip fittings I made. I also made the tire mount removable so I would not have to try and line up the studs on that very heavy wheel assembly if I indeed had to replace it.

1996 Eddie Bauer Bronco Beast: Powered by a 4BT Cummins Diesel, 37" BFG BAJA TA's, Atlas 4 Transfer Case, HUMVEE 24 Bolt Wheels with Trail Fab Beadlocks, RCV Front TTB Axles, 5.5" SuperFlex Suspension, Lockers Front and Rear, Custom Front and Rear Bumpers, Monstaliner Bedliner Paint Job...
Vote RicksBroncoBeast May 2018 F.O.T.M.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 125 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 07:41 PM

Garage
After getting the bumper ready for wheeling, I installed a 15,000 LB swivel Pintle Hitch in order to pull my matching Off-Road Trailer out to the great unknown... More to come on the Trailer Beast...

1996 Eddie Bauer Bronco Beast: Powered by a 4BT Cummins Diesel, 37" BFG BAJA TA's, Atlas 4 Transfer Case, HUMVEE 24 Bolt Wheels with Trail Fab Beadlocks, RCV Front TTB Axles, 5.5" SuperFlex Suspension, Lockers Front and Rear, Custom Front and Rear Bumpers, Monstaliner Bedliner Paint Job...
post #43 of 125 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 09:03 PM

Garage
AJAX Trail, the maiden voyage for the 4BT... Bronco Beast

This is where those plastic fenders met their demise...lol Good thing it was before the paint...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 125 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 09:34 AM

Bronco Info: 1995 Bronco
Moving on up!

Last Day of being stock height

Gathered the parts that was needed for the lift and went to my buddy's shop where he had a lift

post #45 of 125 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 11:26 AM
Charlie don't surf!!

Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweeced
Garage
Dixie Chapter Rides Ocala 2004

Here are some miscellaneous pics from 2004. That was a really good year..Had a great group of guys to wheel with and we were able to make several trips down to the Ocala National forest..Even found a couple of old videos. This was back in the day when you could go pretty much anywhere you wanted before they marked the trails and made a lot of the forest off limits..We had some adventures down there...

Didn’t take a whole lot of video back in the day, so I get a kick out of seeing these..especially when I get stuck every time.

Every time we went out I buried my s**t…

post #46 of 125 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 12:58 PM

Garage

post #47 of 125 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 09:41 PM
Charlie don't surf!!

Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweeced
Garage
Engine build

Had plenty of down time while my SAS was getting done. Figured what better way to keep busy than take a crack at rebuilding an engine. As good a motor as the 302 can be, it always felt under-powered to me in the Bronco. Mine was leaking in half a dozen places and had nearly 190K on the clock. Could have spent the $$ to build it up but I was looking for something with more grunt and came across a lightly used 351 out of an Ď89 Bronco. The goal was to build a reliable engine with few mods, nothing crazy. I wanted to be able to make a 250 mile trip, take it off road and not have any issues.
Specs
Ď89 351W block bored .040
Crane cam CRN-44232
BBK headers
Stock internals

Funny to think this was almost 14 years ago. Well, hereís my build sheet with prices. Factored in the labor and some other misc things like gauges and a new y-pipe that werenít directly related to rebuilding the engine. All told I was in it for about $4K.

Started with a garden variety 351W.

Got it home..now the fun part could begin..

Plan was to tear it all apart, have the block checked, crank turned and the heads decked..New rings, bearings, pistons, lifters, valve springs, cam. Pretty much everything was replaced. Think I kept the original rockers though..

The block didnít look to be in terrible shape as I started tearing it apart..

Then I found the mouse nest on top of the lower intake..they had chewed through the injector wires, but it didnít matter because I was swapping over the harness from my 302.

Little by little.until it was ready to be sent off to the machine shop..

Started painting

Got a set a BBK headers

Block back from the machine shop. Freshly painted with the bottom end installed.

Started collecting parts..I skimped on some things I shouldnít have and that came back to bite me down the road. Should have spent the $$ on a better water pump and motor mounts..lesson learned..

Oil pump in..

Putting the top end back together..

Top end getting close..

Timing cover back on..at this point I should have also replaced the harmonic balancer..would have saved me some headache down the road, but I didnít..

Getting close..

Goodbye 302..

Ready for the 351

Installed..

new y-pipe bolted up..

Wish I could find the video of when we first fired it up..it was before the y-pipe was built so it was running through open exhaust, but it sounded great..what sucked, was as soon as we went to move it from the shop to get the exhaust done, the trany s**t the bed..luckily my buddy had a good tranny guy who was able to turn it around in a couple of days..Anyway, this engine has been extremely reliable. Havenít had any major issues. Only downside it itís thirsty. I average about 8mpg. Part of that is my fault with the way I drive it, but the gears and added weight of the tires certainly donít help...In hindsight I should have spent the $$ and gone with the Edelbrock performer upper and lower intake combo, some better pistons and heads but that would have added another couple thousand to the build..thatís still on my to do list.

Here you can listen to a video of how it sounds today, cold start.
LJoH3IM7PCQ

In the time since 351 went in, Iíve converted to MAF and added a tweecer tuner.
If you want to see the detail of my full engine build go here..1992 Ford Bronco 351W Project pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

post #48 of 125 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 12:37 AM

Garage
4BT Cummins Diesel Swap

After wheeling with the Beast for awhile I realized I wanted More Torque, an engine I can depend on, no computers and a fuel I can make out of Veggie Oil. I decided to change out the Power Plant to a Cummins 4BT 3.9L diesel engine. I kept looking on Ebay and finally this 130HP engine came available. When studying the pictures on Ebay I noticed the engine looked really fresh, like it had been recently gone through. I won the bid and when this engine arrived it definitely showed the signs of freshness. It had just been completely overhauled 10 months before I purchased it and the delivery truck that the Cummins was in was decommissioned right after getting the engine done... What a huge find.

In order for me to get the transplant done I had to figure out all what I was going to do. I Decided to do:

Engine - Gas to Diesel
Transmission - E4OD to ZF5 Manual 5 Speed
Transfer Case - Electric Shift to manual Shift 1356.

I also needed to figure out how much time I wanted to shut my shop down to do this project. I decided to do it between Christmas and New Years 2013-2014. I had a two week window. I purchased a complete installation kit and assembled all the parts in about 3 months before Christmas.

Christmas 2014 finally came and my excitement was extremely high... Time to get it done. I did the complete swap by myself in 3 days and finalized and had it on the road in almost the two week period....

New shifter in the Beast...

Was able to make a bracket to not only have a very well structured throttle cable, but also was able to keep the cruise control...

And then there was LIFE... First start and she ran unbelievably good... She still needed the turbo tubes made, but she ras RUNNING... WOW

After she was running I did some modifications to the engine. Replaced the 2300 RPM governor springs with 4K spring kit, I installed an aftermarket fuel plate that allows more fuel to be delivered, I bumped the mechanical timing up to 17 degrees BTDC (from 11.5 deg) and I blocked off the wastegate vacuum tube to allow the turbo to boost over 25 PSI pounds of boost if necessary.... I have not officially checked, but the math puts the horsepower about 240 and took the LB's of torque to around 600+. One day I hope to get it really checked out, but as for now that is more than plenty...

More to come ...

post #49 of 125 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 08:30 AM

Paint Time

So the next step was finding a paint shop. I didn't realize at least around here that most body shops only wanted that collision work (patch jobs and insurance money) while a few that did custom paint jobs wanted huge bucks! I finally found a place that was down to earth. I had them remove and cover up where the fire department antenna's were left also the moulding on the sides.

They did request I put the old smaller tires back on to make sure it would fit in their paint booth

post #50 of 125 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 11:56 AM
Charlie don't surf!!

Garage
People always ask about the tires..Post-SAS, I decided I needed a set that would be better off-road, but still do reasonably well day to day and in the rain. Started off with a set of 36 x 12.50 15 bias ply irok swampers..It’s funny, I remember stepping up from the 33’s to 36’s and thinking what a huge difference that was..For me it was a mistake going with the bias ply, if you’re trailering a rig, fine, but for regular everyday driving I personally wouldn’t recommend them as they wear fast as hell. When my SAS was first done the alignment was off for the longest time and the swampers gotten eaten up pretty quickly..This was maybe 10K..

Then I got a deal on a set of super swamper M16’s..this was the gimmicky tire interco came out with several years back with the bullets on the outer part of the tread..Got them from a shop that had them listed on craigslist. The tires were supposed to be blems, so I figured whatever was wrong with them was related to the appearance and not the tire..well these things never balanced right..I tried weights, then beads and nothing worked. Assuming they were out of round. They did so-so in off-road conditions, although I never really aired them down like I probably should have..

These were the tires I had on when I crushed my quarter panel leading to my eventual fender trimming..

Current tires are the Toyo MT 37x14.50 15. Hands down the best I’ve ever owned, they’re not inexpensive, but with tires like most things you get what you pay for..They balanced easily with beads, drive great on and off road and hold up extremely well..when these wear out I’ll be getting another set.

as long as you keep them turning they get up pretty much anything.

7hJOyiEKiNI

post #51 of 125 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 12:02 AM

Garage
New Front Look...

post #52 of 125 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 07:57 AM

Garage
My first test of how the Trailer Beast would do off road and it did quite well.

My first test of how the Trailer Beast would do off road and it did quite well. A little too much movement while crawling over the rocks, but since then I have added overload springs, shocks and a sway bar. It is better now, but I still need to get better shocks to dampen that movement. With the Swivel Pintle hitch I don't hardly feel the trailer at all, even on the rough stuff. I also added a lockbox for an inverter and deep cycle batteries for the future solar panels for dry camping where nobody else is...lol

One more fact... The Trailer Beast has matching 24 bolt HUMVEE wheels with 37" BFG BAJA T/A's and beadlocks which could be used as spares in the worst case scenario...

post #53 of 125 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 08:42 AM

New Paint

I was not wanting to change the color but wanted something a little different. I was shopping the idea around on something with metal flake in it. The painter showed me a sample where they used a little pearl and he could use the original factory color and put the pearl over it. It really set it off, because in the shade it looks like it did from the factory but in the bright sun you can see the small flakes shining!

I also went back with the old school fender badges

post #54 of 125 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 01:55 PM
Charlie don't surf!!

Garage
Hard Rock Trail ride

Bringing it current, first trip down to Hard Rock in Ocala, September of 2015..As far as I know this is the only place of its kind in the state. Lots of steep hill climbs, mud and some pretty challenging obstacles makes it a great spot to test the limits of your rig..I'll be perfectly honest, being my first time taking my rig out in this kind of terrain I was nervous..there were quite a few spots down there where the prospect of going a** over end are real. While I didn't want to wreck the Bronco or myself, I was motivated to push the limits a bit to see what it could do.

On this trip I was still rolling on the super swamper M16’s..didn’t have the onboard air at the time so I was running at street pressure which for me is around 24 PSI…

You have to dig a place that has names for trails like Butt Crack…

Tough to tell in the picture, but this hill was pitched at a pretty good angle made it feel like it was going to roll..

Conditions that day were super muddy, hard to get traction on anything and the stuff down there is like cement when it dries...

Pointing at the sky..

I’d done a long pull with the winch and overheated the thermal switch so I was trying to cool it off..

Nice bit of mud..

A few other members of the Dixie chapter..

Can’t see my truck..someone’s big head is in the way..

Pictures don't do justice to steepness here.

/53oJ-98SK-I

Like I said earlier, it’s fun getting out there and wheeling the Bronco, but the best part is really all the cool guys I’ve had a chance to meet over the years.

Last edited by jermil01; 05-15-2018 at 02:03 PM.
post #55 of 125 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 08:52 PM

Garage
BroncoBeast before the 4BT engine swap. Bottom of Chiva Falls...

post #56 of 125 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 09:22 AM

Step Up!

I was happily surprised to see where N-Fab still made nerf bars for the Bronco. I wanted a step that blended well with the body and had good clearance with not much of something hanging down. Also another form of protection for the body of the Bronco too.

I hated drilling the bolt holes in the door still but that was the only way to secure it and me not being thin, needed sturdy!

post #57 of 125 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 11:43 AM
Charlie don't surf!!

Garage
Winch setup

Whatís the point of having a winch bumper without a winch?? Iíd wanted a winch for years but couldnít justify getting one for the few times I might need it..which in and of itself is a stupid argument, because when you need a winch, nothing else will really do..Anyway, I wound up getting a HF Badlands 9K winch. Hard to beat them for the price, right around $250 including tax..

Needed the mounting channel..these are made for jeeps, so I had my buddies at a shop cut down and weld it between my frame rails..

Channel welded in and winch mounted..

Bumper back on..looks good.

Then I did this...at some point Iíd submerged the winch, got a bunch of water and mud inside gummed the whole thing up..took it apart 2 or 3 times to try and clean it but still couldnít get the free spool working again..To me a winch is pretty much worthless without the freespool, so, I ditched this one a go another..

In addition to the new winch, I got some synthetic winch line to replace the steel cable..this stuff is much easier to work withÖ

Here you can see it in action.

OIz3wZsYVYk

Couple things about the HF Badlands 9K
Pros
  • Good value for the $$
  • Reliable, gets the job done
  • Remote winch controller

Cons
  • underpowered for the size of the Bronco
  • Not sealed well. When I got the 2nd one, I opened it up to clean the excess grease from the gears and resealed with a good RTV.
  • Slow line speed, youíll get out but it wonít be fast
  • Thermal switch can overheat during long pulls, so you have to pull in short bursts and give time to cool off, but that is the case with any winch

You can see all the info about the winch in this thread: http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...-mounting.html

post #58 of 125 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 01:20 PM

Garage
More Fun-in-the-Sun

post #59 of 125 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 01:22 PM

Garage
4BT Bronco Beast VS Tree

post #60 of 125 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
F.O.T.Y. 2017

Bronco Info: 78 W/400
Garage
@stan the man
@Warhoss
@RicksBroncoBeast
@jermil01
@TravisITGuy

You guys are certainly doing a terrific job this month guys, keep up the great work !!!!!!!

Remember if anyone has any questions on any of the mods / upgrades / trail stories you can ask here:

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...ntestants.html

I'm sure the contestants would be more than happy to respond !!!!! (make sure to tag them with "@" so they know you asked a question.

I know I have a few q's just havn't had time lately

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Ford Bronco Forum > Welcome > F.O.T.M Voting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode