Chat with F.O.T.M. contestants - Page 5 - Ford Bronco Forum
 182Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 136 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 10:18 AM
Wild Cayuse

Bronco Info: 85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
Garage
@Ghosteh

My 94 had the premium sound package. It included a CD player only head unit with LCD display and a small under dash amplifier.
Ghosteh likes this.

Vote for Full-size Of The Month in January, March, May,
July, and September!

FOTM forum section
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 136 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 01:14 PM

Bronco Info: 1996 Bronco XLT 351w
Garage
@cstrike

That stinger is awesome.
cstrike likes this.
post #83 of 136 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 05:37 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: '96 XLT 5.0L manual hubs, 4" Rancho lift, rock sliders, relocated shock mounts, original USBP vehicl
Garage
@cstrike

In your last post, you had a few photos of the rear of your frame, where you had painted it. I think the flat/semi gloss black you used there looks great!
What paint did you use & how has it held up? Can you describe what prep-work you did?

Thanks! Your truck is a beast!
cstrike likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 136 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 05:59 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 86 302/AOD on 8 lugs. 96 302/ZF5.
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosteh View Post
@cstrike

In your last post, you had a few photos of the rear of your frame, where you had painted it. I think the flat/semi gloss black you used there looks great!
What paint did you use & how has it held up? Can you describe what prep-work you did?

Thanks! Your truck is a beast!
Hey man. I just wire wheeled it and painted it with thick brush on Rustoleum. I will blast it with some spray paint occasionally but it has held up great. Keep in mind though nothing but cheap chinese lug nuts rust here in AZ

Thanks for asking and I'm enjoying this month's run! Love your truck and wish I had such a badass story to my journey!

post #85 of 136 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 11:29 AM
Wild Cayuse

Bronco Info: 85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
Garage
@Ghosteh

"Rumor" is off a bit haha... I've had 11 total people in my bronco before. 2 up front plus one on the console, four on the back seat, and five in the bed. Oh high school... you were so much fun lol

Love the stories, it definitely adds a flair that not many contestants have

@cstrike

Love all the mods, and the pic with the giant wrench Damn photographers can be so clueless sometimes!

Have you considered a radial superswamper? I'm currently running irok non directionals, and they are pretty tame on the pavement
itwasFREE!!!!, cstrike and Ghosteh like this.

July, and September!

FOTM forum section
post #86 of 136 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 11:39 AM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue 94 View Post

@cstrike

Love all the mods, and the pic with the giant wrench Damn photographers can be so clueless sometimes!

Have you considered a radial superswamper? I'm currently running irok non directionals, and they are pretty tame on the pavement
@BigBlue 94 Thanks man, it has been more fun to work on than drive sometimes!

Funny you mention that today about the Iroks, I have been looking at them yesterday and this morning. I really want to stay with Interco. The orange classic Bronco in my recent posts was running 39" Iroks although I can't remember if they were directional. Although this truck is mostly for the trail and I do have a trailer for it, I really like to take it to work once in a while just to keep bearings lubed and such. The TSL SX are a bit much at highway speeds.
itwasFREE!!!! likes this.

post #87 of 136 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 11:55 AM
Wild Cayuse

Garage
There are bias and radial iroks, and then the radial non-directional. They have a tsl lug pattern, but with the irok jagged style. The ND are great for traction in both forward and reverse. Mine are 37x12.50x16 10plys.

Normal Irok on left, ND on right

I've run the SSR as well, and can't say one was better than the other. The irok looks better imo
itwasFREE!!!! and cstrike like this.

July, and September!

FOTM forum section

Last edited by BigBlue 94; 11-22-2018 at 11:57 AM.
post #88 of 136 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 03:57 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: '96 XLT 5.0L manual hubs, 4" Rancho lift, rock sliders, relocated shock mounts, original USBP vehicl
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue 94 View Post
@Ghosteh

"Rumor" is off a bit haha... I've had 11 total people in my bronco before. 2 up front plus one on the console, four on the back seat, and five in the bed. Oh high school... you were so much fun lol

Love the stories, it definitely adds a flair that not many contestants have

I can believe 11 will fit. The 7 that I mentioned was just in the caged back. The front seats empty.
Somehow I know 17 will fit in an Excursion. The proper Spanish verb is "sardinese"
BigBlue 94 likes this.

post #89 of 136 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 06:06 PM
~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Bronco Info: 1995 XLT 5.8 with 127k miles, WARN Premium Hubs
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstrike View Post
It isn't all cactus and sunshine out here..... woke up to this

Hey you left your windows down!!
BikerPepe` likes this.
post #90 of 136 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 06:43 PM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
I tell my wife to lock it every time she rides with me..... she said that joke hasn't gotten any funnier in the last 8 years.
BikerPepe` and BigBlue 94 like this.

post #91 of 136 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 03:00 AM
Retired Staff

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/E4OD/MassAir/6" lift/4.56's/33x12.5 GYW DuraTracs
Garage
F.O.T.M. for January 2019

Just read through it and I had a lot to say while reading but it got overwhelming.

BEST F.O.T.M. 1st PAGE EVER!!!

... or at least pretty damn close. What a way to kick off the new year. There may only be 3 of you but it hardly matters since you're all actually into it and have some great stories and stuff to share.

Looking forward to the rest.

oh yea... I remember @TTBlows and a lot of that other "old man" stuff yer goin' on about.
post #92 of 136 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 10:21 AM
Wild Cayuse

Garage
@thequietman

Let's see a couple pics of that T-type Regal!!

I agree with @BikerPepe` this is a good month, keep it up!
96bronco likes this.

July, and September!

FOTM forum section
post #93 of 136 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 02:29 AM
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter

Bronco Info: '95 302 XLT
@96bronco , I am curious about the Punisher VB, I have heard mixed reviews. From watt I got, you're happy with the results after the ECM learned the shifting ???

Great Month all.

Unless someone has misplaced the keys again to the FSB jet, I will be secretly visiting each contestant and making sure they are taking PLENTY of PICTURES, VIDEOS & STORIES about their Bronco...

Keep them coming,

Allcruisen

VOTE For FOTM !!!

"DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR"
post #94 of 136 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 05:42 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer
Garage
Good morning all,

Just a quick check in and since I saw the note about punisher valve bodies I figured I would wade in. I like the punisher valve body. I have talked with Paul (guy who makes em) since I did my engine and he's offered to turn it down.

With a stock engine and E4OD, it does tighten up the shifts considerably. With a stronger engine and tuned transmission,
it's a wonder I haven't broken something yet. When it shifts now at WOT, It does so with some major attitude.

It's a simple install and when I did mine, I also used a deeper pan with plug and fabricated a bracket to help hold the filter in place.

I'll post some more this weekend but for now between work and our Bible conference all week time is a rare commodity. Y'all (south GA for all of you) have a great day.
post #95 of 136 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 08:13 AM
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.

Bronco Info: 1996 EB
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by allcruisen View Post
@96bronco , I am curious about the Punisher VB, I have heard mixed reviews. From watt I got, you're happy with the results after the ECM learned the shifting ???

Great Month all.

Unless someone has misplaced the keys again to the FSB jet, I will be secretly visiting each contestant and making sure they are taking PLENTY of PICTURES, VIDEOS & STORIES about their Bronco...

Keep them coming,

Allcruisen
Yes, so far I am happy with it. Full disclosure I installed it over Christmas and the Bronco is not my daily driver. With maybe 4-500 miles under its belt, I can tell that the shift points seem much improved. Hard to pick the right wording but its used to seem to have a mind of its own and shift when it felt like it, now it better follows the RMPs of the engine. Paul builds them to your "needs" He was super responsive with all my questions. If you don't like it, he will fix it. Downside if you do need him to tweak it, you have to drop the pan again. I would ask anyone who is not happy with theirs if they gave him an opportunity to make it right.

I better get back to my primary task of getting a post up to entertain you guys! Hopefully, I can earn a few votes not just on how my truck looks in the voting picture, but how much effort I put in, and the entertainment value you get through the month!

Let's talk Engines this morning- stay tuned.. get it "tuned", ok another one of my bad puns.

1996 Eddie Bauer 351W/E40D/Dana 44, TTB R 8.8 (4.56 F&R), 6" Lift, 35x13.50 Toyo MTs, sag PS, 1 ton brakes, off-road bumpers, Warn 15K, Edelbrock intakes, lots 'O lights.
Build thread: http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=352625
Supermord site: http://www.supermotors.net/registry/26920
July 2016 F.S.O.T.M
post #96 of 136 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 10:32 AM

Bronco Info: Still dreaming:Newbie
@96bronco , you have a way of dragging me back in every time to read your updates. I can't wait to see more.

post #97 of 136 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 02:37 PM
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmck View Post
@96bronco , you have a way of dragging me back in every time to read your updates. I can't wait to see more.
Thanks, I appreciate it!

Gives me the motivation to keep telling you my Bronco stories, glad you are enjoying them.

Speaking of stories where did we leave off?....

1996 Eddie Bauer 351W/E40D/Dana 44, TTB R 8.8 (4.56 F&R), 6" Lift, 35x13.50 Toyo MTs, sag PS, 1 ton brakes, off-road bumpers, Warn 15K, Edelbrock intakes, lots 'O lights.
July 2016 F.S.O.T.M
post #98 of 136 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 03:16 PM
Sayulita Layta!

Bronco Info: 1996 Ford Blazer. Lifted, locked, and loaded. Where's the Zombies?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96bronco View Post
This morning we left off with both me and my son needing to take a break, clear our heads and resist burning the truck to ground in frustration. At least it would be useful as a bonfire. Maybe get some hotdogs and marshmallows! lol

So obviously we didn't really do this, but I admit it did cross our minds. We started with a perfectly fine running Bronco that didn't need anything and had now turned it into an immobile time suck & money pit.

With clearer heads, we weighed our options:

-We could send out these heads to be machined and see if they were salvageable
-Buy new stock heads
-Go with aftermarket heads

The first choice was not really a choice IMO, even if we could save them, the cost of doing so just didn't make sense.
The second choice was the safe choice, but not super exciting and didn't take advantage of all the disassembly work we had done.
Which brings us to the 3rd option. I am always keen on "improving" (aka finding an excuse to upgrade) the Bronco.

We dug into this option. It didn't take long to determine that we had the potential to spend a lot of money really fast and probably would not really take advantage of the money we spent unless we paired it with even more work- aka a new CAM etc. Pouring over FSB we finally settled on what we think was a happy medium. GT40 heads

I found a reasonably priced set and ordered them.

After a brief discusion\scare that we also needed new rollers, it turned out what we had would work just fine.

You can use either G40 or the GT40P heads and there is much discussion about which to go with. I knew I only wanted to tackle the GT40 upgrade.

Some say you have to ream out the bolt holes but I didn't, bolted right up. However, you do have to change out your spark plugs

With newfound enthusiasm in actually fixing something and not destroying it further, we got the old heads off. Everything looked pretty clean, not surprised as I baby this truck when it comes to routine maintenance.

We are this deep might as well replace the timing chain.

Getting it all put back together...

My OCD and attention to detail are on full display here. The Edelbrock sits much higher than the stock intake resulting in the support bracket being too short. Most write-ups people just leave the bracket off.

You guessed it, I extended mine. You can see I added 3+inches to it.

Its hard to get a good shot of it installed but you can see it tucked back in there:

After all this work I remember thinking wow she idles fantastic, smooth as glass. Even to this day I will catch myself at a stop light and wonder for half a second if the truck is still running or not.

SO HOW ABOUT THE PERFORMANCE?!

DRUM ROLL...

I know you all have been waiting to read about how much more power I have, and that the truck pins me to the back of my seat when I hit the gas, how I recommend everyone run out and do the exact same thing.

Sorry to have to burst that bubble.

In terms of performance, I was underwhelmed. Maybe my expectations were too high but I expected way more of an improvement. If I had to do again I wouldn't.

After it was all said and done we replaced or did the following:
-Edelbrock 3881 intake system (upper & lower)
-Gt40 heads
-BBK 56mm Throttle Body
-Gen3 4 port injectors
-New spark plugs
-New 8mm spark plug wires
-New cap and rotor
-New timing chain.
-New seals and bolts all around
-Also replaced the AC clutch as I broke the connector. (I know rookie mistake)

Thanks for spending time reading...

Fun read! Where's the before and after dyno charts? Maybe share a video of a 0-60 for us.
96bronco and joedirt216 like this.

California Bay Area off road UC4x4.com
post #99 of 136 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 04:42 PM
Wild Cayuse

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96bronco View Post

"Lucky" us, we have a 96. If you try and spec out this intake at any store you will find that it says it only fits up to 95 model years. It's only because the firewall is in the way.

The yellow grease pencil line is where we had to "adjust" the firewall. Probably not the best solution and I bet we risked breaking things we didn't even think about, but we just pounded on it with BFH until we got the clearance we needed.
That's not only an occurance on 96s... my 94 needed some "tlc" with the bfh for my eddy intake to fit. Afaik, that's the only way to make room, and many people have done it that way.
96bronco likes this.

July, and September!

FOTM forum section
post #100 of 136 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 05:40 PM
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
Fun read! Where's the before and after dyno charts? Maybe share a video of a 0-60 for us.
My Dyno chart is more of a "Gut Feel" LOL

And trust me, no one has the patience to sit through a video my truck go 0-60..

July 2016 F.S.O.T.M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Welcome > F.O.T.M Voting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode