July 2018 F.O.T.M. Vote Here!!!!!! - Page 2 - Ford Bronco Forum
View Poll Results: Who will be your July 2018 F.O.T.M. ???
Runs You Over 4 6.78%
1clean5.8 12 20.34%
PoppaGator 2 3.39%
Ghosteh 22 37.29%
CainsBigRed 19 32.20%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

896Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 11:48 PM

Bronco Info: 1989 FORD BRONCO 351 XLT 100% ORIGINAL
Garage
[IMG][/IMG]

1989 Ford Bronco 4x4 351
100% original
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 11:49 PM

Garage
[IMG][/IMG]
White Dragon and SRWillis like this.

1989 Ford Bronco 4x4 351
100% original
post #23 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 11:53 PM

Garage
[IMG][/IMG]

1989 Ford Bronco 4x4 351
100% original
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 11:58 PM

Garage
[IMG][/IMG]

1989 Ford Bronco 4x4 351
100% original
post #25 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 12:36 AM

Bronco Info: 95 Bronco XLT- '79 HP D44, 11 inch lift, 5:13s,37s, locked front, and many other goodies!
Well ladies and gents, I apologize for being a few days late to start as I have been at my cousins bachelor party and barely made it back So allow me to start my Bronco journey... it all started when I was 17 years old and got my first car. Camera phones didnt exist so Idont have many photos of the early days when she was bone stock... Keep in mind I was a broke high school kid working at blockbuster which at that time was still a thing but I digress. I started off telling my parents that I would keep it stock (which I intended to) but that lasted all of about 2 months. I started with a 3 inch body lift, which obviously wasnt enough so i added 2 inch coils and add a leaf. Then came the 4 inch kit and dropped the 3 inch out. Then re installed the 3 inch to have 7. As it sits now it has a solid hp 44 with about 11 inches of lift and 1 body lift, 37 inch tires, and too many goodies to list in the first post... so many I dont think I could name them off the top of my head. I would also like to thank JGR for the nomination! Looks like it will be a great month!

This is one of the earliest pictures I am currently able to find. its up around bald mountain with one of my best friends circa 2004. It has the 4 inch rancho lift with 33 inch pro comp ATs

How she looks currently. Cant wait to show you guys how it got here.... and tell ya about future plans

I FEAR NO BEER
post #26 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 10:17 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: Rosita my 95 XLT Sport, 5.8, 33x12.5x15, 6 inch lift, factory limited slip, manual hubs
Garage
Happy Fourth of July everyone

post #27 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
F.O.T.Y. 2017

Bronco Info: 78 W/400
Garage
If you have any questions or comments for the contestants, post up here:

Chat with the contestants

post #28 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 11:01 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: Rosita my 95 XLT Sport, 5.8, 33x12.5x15, 6 inch lift, factory limited slip, manual hubs
Garage
If it wasn't for awesome Bronco Club friends then this is what all of my pictures look like

Over new few months of saving and finally getting the yes from the wife I ordered a 6 inch lift with extended radius arms and the super runner steering. Due to slow process of getting the arms built it was on backorder for about 4 months this was my first major purchased

Extended brake lines install too.

I was pretty dang busy installating the lift that I don't have many pictures if it.

Turn out that I was sent the wrong springs they sent me 4 inch lift coils, found out after I met up with the club for a run notice my front wheel and tire spacing where no where close to the 6 inch guys I was still on 33's but it was way off.

Super lift send me a new set of 6 inch coils, but had to diy the alignment since I had just paid to get it done before the meet and no more money left to get it done again keep in mind my arms for the pivets we're set at the 6 inch hole so camber off like crazy but once new springs we're in and I adjusted the camber bushing it looked good.

Doing some street flexing after I changed out the springs ahahah

post #29 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 05:59 PM
Crusher Mike

Bronco Info: 1991 Arrow Nosed 5.8. SAS, 35" Cooper STT PRO 7" lift, 4.88s locked, Viar OBA
So the axle swap.

I bought a 79 bronco from a tweeker for 300$ and a set of subwoofers.

post #30 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 05:28 PM
Fullsize Member

Garage
Soon after the lift install I came a cross some issues, went out for a small trail run known as "castle hot springs" It was a curvy dirt road that you could get some air if you went fast enough, but it was so easy that we decided to find some rocks to climb now that I had the groud clearance. Three other Broncos ran in front of me I was second to last, The wash had some good size boulders but I still wanted to try it so I could break in my lift. But I broke something else

I was about half way in when when I started to smell trans fluid figured it was the guy in front of me since he was having a hard time climbing back up to the road. I was up next, second attempt and nothing then one of the guys ask if I was in 4 low and on 1 st gear, but I wasn't I was on drive and regular 4 hi I was fresh and learning so I put it on 1st and 4 low was able to get up and out to the road.

But I had a huge trail of trans fluid and we shut if off right away and push out of the way. Trans was dripping fluid all over. Left it on side of road with note so it would not get towed away. We then came back to check it out and added about 4 quarts of fluid that I was able to gather from everyone.

Drove it a few miles and it shifted fine so decided to drive it back home.

Here I'm checking out the fluid level toamke sure it's still good.

The fluid was like a milkshake when I got home and drain it

After calling all trans shops I decided to rebuild myself with the help of a book

With the diy trans rebuild I added temp gauge and auxiliary filter

Aux trans filter

New trans gauge

But my rebuild e4od fail only had two gears

Last edited by CainsBigRed; 07-05-2018 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Fix video link
post #31 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 09:37 PM

Garage
Wink

After a nice afternoon cruz to Walmart, I get on the lot and guy behind me on a Honda Gold Wing starts honking at me. Im thinking WTF is this dudes problem. (Does he want to get run over?) So I park and the guy rolls up and starts talking to me about the Bronco.

"Man I've always wanted a Bronco since I was a kid, and that is one of the cleanest I have seen."

So he's giving me his pitch and trying to buy my truck on the spot. I said I appreciate the offer man, but Im in competition for FOTM so you is gonna have to wait. Ended up giving me his business card and told me to call him after I won the competition.

Heres a video for your enjoyment

https://youtu.be/2UZQc7Kix_w

1989 Ford Bronco 4x4 351
100% original

Last edited by PoppaGator; 07-05-2018 at 09:40 PM. Reason: trying to add video and additional info
post #32 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 08:16 AM

Bronco Info: 84' 351, c6, 4" RANCHO
Epic storytelling and pictures!
PoppaGator likes this.

black hat backwards
LETS ROLL
post #33 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 01:00 PM

Garage
Good morning ladies

1989 Ford Bronco 4x4 351
100% original

Last edited by Quader1; 07-06-2018 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Get rid of xtra image tags
post #34 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 03:57 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: '96 XLT 5.0L manual hubs, 4" Rancho lift, rock sliders, relocated shock mounts, original USBP vehicl
Garage
About eight years ago, I started thinking about the old Broncos that I drove along the border, and that it would be nice to find one. About the same time, I met a group of local guys who own & restore vintage police cars. As soon as I saw that, I was hooked! So I started looking for a Bronco. Two years later, I joined this forum, and was still searching. I did find two, but they weren't for sale and almost entirely unrecognizable with extreme modifications. I began to think there just weren't any left that could be saved.

I was just about to the point of "cloning" one; making a copy of an original using a decent donor. Honestly, it would have been cheaper going this route, but it wouldn't have been "right." I didn't want to duplicate something. I wanted to preserve a piece of real history, even if it only was significant to me and a handful of friends. I knew I'd never be satisfied with something that just looked the part, but didn't have the soul and spirit. So I kept looking for my war horse.

My lucky break came from a posting on a forum for federal agents, when someone mentioned a month ago, he had seen an ad for an old Border Patrol Bronco on Craigslist's Mississippi site. I was told it still had the green stripe and was $2500, but he didn't remember much more.

It didn't take long to find the ad online, although the price had dropped to $1500. I called the guy and we talked about the Bronco & the condition. He texted several photos, and when I looked at them, I was thrilled to see the ghost outlines of the old decals, including the fleet number and the 3 letter code which designated the station it was assigned when it was in service. It wouldn't have meant anything to anyone else, but I was completely stunned when I saw the H6230 on the fenders and CHU on the tailgate!

But it was rough, and I was under no illusions. I knew it was going to be a project.

I called the seller back and told him that I'd take it, but I needed him to hold it for a few weeks until I could get there to pick it up. He asked where I was coming from, and when I said "Chicago" there was silence on the phone for a moment. Then he slowly said "... well, I'm going to need a deposit." I chuckled and agreed to send him half now, and the other half when I picked it up. It's curious how the money makes things work easier. 😄

A check was sent the same day, and a week or so later, he sent me the title. Now I just had to get a truck & trailer and drive the 800+ miles to get it.

post #35 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 01:03 AM
Fullsize Member

Garage
A little front end Carnage

I went with a heavy duty limited slip front end for my traction it was a Auburn Conical style limited slip.

Last edited by CainsBigRed; 07-07-2018 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Forgot to ad picture
post #36 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 01:16 AM
Fullsize Member

Garage
Not all heroes wear capes!!!

Getting push to safety when transmission decided to boil over.

post #37 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 03:34 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: '96 XLT 5.0L manual hubs, 4" Rancho lift, rock sliders, relocated shock mounts, original USBP vehicl
Garage
This is what sealed the deal for me.

So I borrowed my grandpa's Dodge dually and friend's heavy car trailer, and my buddy and I made a bonsai run from Lake Michigan to the Gulf of Mexico. We both like road trips, so neither of us was complaining much at a very long day. The funny part was that we passed at least 3 Broncos on the side of the road with "For Sale" signs on them as we drove to get mine. My buddy kept saying that during his turn to drive he was just going to pull over and buy one of those.

Early the next morning we arrive at the address, literally 15 minutes North of the Gulf of Mexico in the most remote corner of the Mississippi, and find what looks like a trail for a driveway. Yep, it's the right address. I swear we could almost hear banjos playing...

We made it up to the house (which was a trailer) and met the owner's wife, who was 9 months pregnant. The owner was gone for a few days at his job on an oil rig in the Gulf, but had told her to collect the remaining money and give us the keys. Ok, no problem; we can do that.
Except it wouldn't start.

The owner's wife pulled her car around so we could jump start it, but the Bronco wasn't having it! No way was it cooperating with us Northern carpetbaggers!

We fought with it for an hour, as the Mississippi summer day began to warm up. The pregnant wife called her brother to come help us, but by the time he arrived, we had already used a tow strap and the Dodge to pull the Bronco up onto the trailer.

The brother, a little skinny guy wearing a 1-piece jumpsuit, arrived driving what had to be a $50k new Ford pickup. He too was flabbergasted at the 2 Northern boys who drove from Chicago to buy his brother-in-law's broken old Bronco.

"Am I missing something here? You two drove from Chicago to buy this thing? He couldn't sell this thing locally for months. Is there something special about it that we don't know?" he asked as we chained it down, sweating our asses off by now.

Nope, nothing special. We just needed a rust-free truck.
I bet he's still telling the story of the two dumb Yankees today!

So we loaded up and got out of there before the mosquitoes ate us alive.

I stopped and took this photo once we were back to a paved road.

post #38 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 12:33 PM
Fullsize Member

Garage
By know I'm very disappointed with myself, I spent all this time and money on new rebuild kit and electronics with the transmission and tested each step twice as the booked suggested, I'm sure if I wouldn't have swap out any of the hard parts it probably would of just been fine with new steels, clutches and seals.

So because I was desperate to join back the group with the trail runs I found a used trans but the guy wouldn't sell it by-itself he wanted to sell the engine trans and t case all in one.

I decided to go ahead and get the whole thing borrow my dad's 1500 pick up to go get, once I arrive at the address the guy was young like he had just graduated high school young so in the back on my mind I'm like great this guy probably hotroded the heck out of this n blew it to pieces.

so I check it out and he had it all ready to load with a forklift then he starts showing me around he had a full blown custom shop behind his house this guy and his dad built one off customs off-road buggies, Jeep's and other insane rockcrawler builds.

Then I see his Bronco it was completely cage and ready to go 100 plus mph in the desert easily, He then shows me the he has a LS in it that he received as a payment from a customer so that's why he pulled the whole ford drivetrain out, as he needed something cheap with more power. I bless his little soul for being lost but he definitely knew his way around custom builds from the looks of it.

That gave me a bit of confidence maybe he didn't hotroded the heck out of it since it didn't have the power he wanted, get back from the shop tour and noticed the blue paint on transmission so I ask about it and he mentioned it had been rebuild about 3 years ago and the engine had also been redone in the last 50k so I'm now secretly all excited.

Sice I now had practice on trans swapping I had the new to me one in the next day but trans plug for the solenoid was not the same so I looked up info on FSB and figured out that a e4od harness was different for a 92 than a 95 I then swap in my new 95 solenoid pack I had in the diy rebuild and have now been driving with that trans, I will need to one day crack open my trans and see how I jack up the rebuild.

post #39 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 01:18 PM
Fullsize Member

Garage
So some of you might be wondering, what is up with the random front end picture from few days ago, well I try to put a story behind each picture as best as I can remember. But In order to save as much money as possible I buy parts on sale and stock pile till I'm ready to install or do work in that area. After a few months running the 6 inch lift It was time to upgrade the tires due to looking like I skip out on leg day at the Bronco gym

The Problem with the bigger tires is trying to move them down the road and she did not like them at all! she was so slow with the big mud tires I only drove on them maybe 200 miles. now 4.56 gears were on order along with the rear ARB air locker and front Auburn limited slip. To save money on the gearing install at a steal of a price I pulled the front 3rd member and took that in by itself to get the limited slip install and the new gears setup. while in there I upgraded all u-joints with fresh Moogs and added the c clip eliminator kit by adding the spring to the axle shafts.

Here is the first Tucson run when I was still on 33's

The 33 inch tires on there worked fine but they still had decent life in them and could not pass up on a deal for a set of five BFG KM'2 35x12.5x15. below picture was taken after a camping/trail run with the KM'2

Have to protect the investments with a lifetime warranty super heavy duty ruff stuff specialties 8.8 cover. I tack on their logo since it came looking pretty but a little plain. Spray some clear on it and it was ready to go.

I Installed the compressor and rear air locker switch on a empty spot in the dash. I like them there since that is where my 4x4 selector for the auto 1356 was at

Well that is going to hurt! after the initial 300-400 mile gears break in period I had to change out the rear oil, well when I install everything back in i accidentally smash flat the air line

I was able to luckily get it fix but It was a sad sad day
post #40 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 08:37 PM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
After a very long drive, we arrived home and I unloaded my new purchase. The no-start issue was quickly diagnosed as a bad battery cable, which was replaced. It started, but soon after I had to replace the starter also. This was just the beginning of the mechanical issues.

A much bigger issue was discovered when I drove it around the block; severe steering issues! Just to keep it straight, you had to constantly move the steering wheel from about the 10 o'clock to the 2 o'clock positions. It was almost like driving on ice.

So my first order was to Redhead for a quality steering box.

That really helped a lot, but it didn't totally solve my steering issues. Later, an alignment and new steering dampener made things right again!

Then I cleaned it up a little:

Of course, I was excited at this point, but no one else in the family really seemed interested in going for a ride. Can't say that I blame them much. As bad as the exterior looked, the interior was worse. Green growth on the carpet, broken windshield, cracked plastic dash, holes drilled in the dash pad, smashed radio with buttons missing, missing trim, sun-bleached door panels that were filthy, broken door handles, ripped seats, mouse nest in the back, and a very hard to ignore smell.

So if I wanted anyone to ride with me (beyond my 10-year-old, who's immune to dirt and stink), I had quite a bit of work to do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Ford Bronco Forum > Welcome > F.O.T.M Voting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode