July 2018 F.O.T.M. Vote Here!!!!!! - Page 4 - Ford Bronco Forum
View Poll Results: Who will be your July 2018 F.O.T.M. ???
Runs You Over 4 6.78%
1clean5.8 12 20.34%
PoppaGator 2 3.39%
Ghosteh 22 37.29%
CainsBigRed 19 32.20%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

896Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 05:56 PM
Wild Cayuse

Bronco Info: 85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaGator View Post

I called the number and some chick named Jenny answered the phone...

Damn you Tommy Tutone!

Looking good fellas, not going to be an easy vote
cobrajoe and PoppaGator like this.

Vote for Full-size Of The Month in January, March, May,
July, and September!

FOTM forum section
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 07:09 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: Rosita my 95 XLT Sport, 5.8, 33x12.5x15, 6 inch lift, factory limited slip, manual hubs
Garage
Well to help some of you guys make your decision I'll let you guys take a pick on a prize from Santa's big red flexing sled 😉

Santa always carries the goods lol

Vote here for your Hot Next Door Bronco

https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...vote-here.html
post #63 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 10:26 AM

Bronco Info: 1989 FORD BRONCO 351 XLT 100% ORIGINAL
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue 94 View Post
I called the number and some chick named Jenny answered the phone...

Damn you Tommy Tutone!

Looking good fellas, not going to be an easy vote
Jenny been gettin' em for years man. lol
BigBlue 94 likes this.

1989 Ford Bronco 4x4 351
100% original
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 03:22 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: Rosita my 95 XLT Sport, 5.8, 33x12.5x15, 6 inch lift, factory limited slip, manual hubs
Garage
One thing right after the next ! This trail run I didn't get as many cool pics as I would of like but it was a scenic drive to say the least xD tons of rocky loose dirt and I had to keep locker fully engaged up most of the climbing parts. That day my wipers completely gave out and couldn't see half the time unless we stop so I could clean my windows ahahaha

Tons of Arizona pinstripes after this trail run, it was so bad I needed to so something since I like to keep them shiny 😉

An awesome member help me make this things paint look like new, and now that I aquired my own equipment I do try to keep it looking pinstripes free as possible.... Also give me a reason to be in the garage and away from the wife lol.

post #65 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 03:26 PM
Crusher Mike

Bronco Info: 1991 Arrow Nosed 5.8. SAS, 35" Cooper STT PRO 7" lift, 4.88s locked, Viar OBA
A Few more from the local OHV lake grounds I've really got to do a little more explaining. These were shortly after I fixed a few of the SAS problems( trackbar, coil location, shocks, ETC). This is when the bronco was very clean no major damage, my more inexperienced time of wheeling. I pretty much still drove the bronco daily.

After this run I believe I broke the steering box and had to replace it

post #66 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 03:32 PM
Fullsize Member

Garage
I wonder what happened there ?

Maybe I can just tell you guys or should I do a show and tell 😂
White Dragon likes this.

post #67 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 03:36 PM
Crusher Mike

Bronco Info: 1991 Arrow Nosed 5.8. SAS, 35" Cooper STT PRO 7" lift, 4.88s locked, Viar OBA
Found Just a random Topless,

Usually How it goes when I go wheeling the big fat kid with all the little Jeeps. I got asked to go on this run back when Martinez cabins was still open (fun run with some great scenery and history) too bad the vandals got to it and the property owner shut it down its now a 1+ walk to get to the cabins.

one of the cabins

There is a little of the down side of box canyon in there too

post #68 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 03:56 PM
Fullsize Member

Garage
Here is older video clib of some small dirt climbing just an hour north of Phoenix this was after a rainy day

White Dragon, JGR and Quader1 like this.

Last edited by Quader1; 07-14-2018 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Embed Vid
post #69 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 05:22 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: '96 XLT 5.0L manual hubs, 4" Rancho lift, rock sliders, relocated shock mounts, original USBP vehicl
Garage
The next round of repairs was a little more involved than a few stickers and a steering box.

First, I had a friend who owns a body shop straighten my bent front bumper.
(Doesn't this look sad?)

Now straight

Then it was time to address more serious issues: new bearings, shocks, pads & rotors, u-joints

Drove it into town and to the local tire store. Those nearly bald BFG tires were replaced with Dick Cepek 31" tires, and I had the front aligned. That made another huge improvement in how it drives. Finally, it felt safe to go faster than 25 mph!

Probably, I should have gone with a little taller tires, since I could have easily handled 32" or even 33", but keeping it true to its service days was important. While I know most of the trucks back then used 31", there were a few that had slightly larger ones. Anyway, I believe my next pair will be 33"s, but as much as I drive, it will probably take me a decade to wear these out.

Now that it was more roadworthy, I wanted to get another very visible piece fabricated. Using the outlines in the paint and the holes in the body, it was easy to fabricate a set of window bars that exactly match the ones originally on the truck. This is a very distinctive feature, and really think it gives the truck an aggressive look!

You can also see the rear emergency lights, on a bracket that I made. Unfortunately, I got a red/blue lense combo and had to look for a while to find a correct(for California) yellow/blue lens. There are strobe flashers in the tail lights that work along with the lightbar, and in the front, the headlights have wig-wag flashers and there are red & blue lights in the grill.

Back inside, I found the correct police radio console. Now I had to search for all the radios and light control switches. Interior is looking much better (but the best is yet to come)!

Oops! Found a loose rifle round rattling around in the back!

You can see from the photos that it was starting to get cold out. I only had one more project before the end of the year, and that was swapping out those old headlights. Again, I stuck with factory stock units. Boring, huh?

This actually happened after Christmas, and my little guy was able to help me replace the headlights with his new tool set. He was VERY proud to be a part of that!

post #70 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 09:05 PM
Crusher Mike

Few more from that Martinez run

Old one from one of the runs we went on Wood Pecker Mine trail

One of the last trail Runs I did in AZ before moving back to Oregon. This was with a lot of the guys from the site we camped out in Florence junction and ran a couple trails.

post #71 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 12:34 AM

Bronco Info: 95 Bronco XLT- '79 HP D44, 11 inch lift, 5:13s,37s, locked front, and many other goodies!
Woo! Stiff competition this month! So after never feeling like I had enough lift i decided an SAS was the way to go. So I got an axle out of a 78 bronco prepped it and she went under the knife one final time.

In the rear I did a hefty fab works 4 inch shackle flip, kept my 4 inch leaf pack at the time and added a 2 inch block when I ended up with a little more lift up front than planned. Now I finally upgraded to a full 6 inch pack.

Front axle is gone! Byebye ttb!

Front axle mocked up

Steering BEEF!

Getting close

This may have been why I ended up with too much lift hahaha

Modded the stock trans mount one day I may build a custom one but hey why fix what aint broke?

Built a track bar mount for the frame

And a lower mount

And just like that after 3 months of working after work, she was under her own weight!

Painted everything before final install

All sorts of good looking!

first time on 37s!

Then came the 5/8 Ubolts and 2 inch block to bring the rear up a hair

More BEEF

Have zero install pics but here is the poly body mount and one inch body lift

One more car crush pic for the guys who enjoyed the ttb one so much! Post SAS!

More to come tomorrow

I FEAR NO BEER
post #72 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 12:34 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: '96 XLT 5.0L manual hubs, 4" Rancho lift, rock sliders, relocated shock mounts, original USBP vehicl
Garage
Ok, let's get this interior project done!

First, there were replacements for the faded & filthy old door panels:

Perfect time to replace all the little stuff:

Then that horrible carpet had to go! New replacement looks & smells much better! My wife even rode in it after this!

That driver's seat was a mess. Ripped, stained & missing a lot of foam. Not surprisingly, the passenger side was great, since Border Patrol agents always work alone & never have anyone riding up front with them. So I needed to find the correct fabric to reupholster one seat ($$$) or find a really nice 22+ year old replacement.

It took nearly 3 years, but I finally found one out of a wrecked Bronco in Ohio. Unbelievably, the driver's seat was the ONLY good one out of the donor!

Old:

Old & new replacement:

And here it is! It doesn't look brand new, but what an improvement! It even feels better to sit in now that all the foam is in there.

Then I looked at the passenger side seat, which had a broken arm rest. Fortunately, it was still in the truck, so all I had to do was fabricate a new bracket. Since these are no longer available, I made one out of steel.

Perfect! Now it's reattached and works! (Plus, I was able to wash the cover when it was off)

I won't bore you with all the other little things, but they certainly added up. New door threshold trim, door weather stripping, a good replacement center console (and then I had to find the individual cup holder inserts... wow, those things are NOT cheap!), good used instrument surround trim (the large black piece) with the defroster cut-out (which makes it harder to find), new steering column cover, turn signal switch & hazard light button, headlight switch, rear window switch, new bulbs behind the dash so it all lights up brightly, XLT trim that goes across the dash, and 2 new dash vents (old ones were broken). Plus a new windshield - I don't know if that's considered interior or exterior, but I certainly hated looking though it!

post #73 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 06:54 PM
Fullsize Member

Garage
Thumbs up

After a few trips camping and doing the trail runs I really needed a better storage solution for my center console, I had started to used those Jeti insulated cups and they just didnít fit well in the factory cup holders. the original way i had my CB radio microphone install also meant that it would just fall out on a way up a hill of jump of the holder driving fast over bumpy roads. I became annoying because one of those times I didnít see it fall and I step and broke the microphone on it.

After seeing some really nice setup on here using OEM Ford I went out to junk yards around me but no nice clean console from expeditions or excursions found. I decided to make my own so I could customize it to my needs.

Started with a carton outline of what i had in mine then trace it over to wood and made adjustments as I went along. It was not very pretty but what I needed was functionality.

You can see where i mock up a few items on it like CB and microphone, light switches, temp gauge, cups and front and rear camera monitor.

To save money I just reused the spring from the original console but I did install a lock on it and some heady duty magnets to keep it from moving or bouncing during the trail runs

My creation was so ugly that i went to shops and sees how much it would be to upholster it but nothing close to my budget so I decided a different route with it.

Here is a few before once it was completed

The after

I have a few more interior mods I did, but I should get back to work before they really find out the type of work Iím doing right now
JGR and Quader1 like this.
post #74 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 07:37 PM

Bronco Info: 1989 FORD BRONCO 351 XLT 100% ORIGINAL
Garage
I found the Bronco tin in a hobby store downtown stuffed in between some HD stuff, I didn't see another one so it had to come on home.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
White Dragon likes this.

1989 Ford Bronco 4x4 351
100% original
post #75 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 11:42 PM

Bronco Info: 95 Bronco XLT- '79 HP D44, 11 inch lift, 5:13s,37s, locked front, and many other goodies!
So it was time for a motor rebuild, it was getting old and tired.

Then a tranny rebuild

Ill be back to show you some more recent stuff tomorrow!
White Dragon, JGR, Quader1 and 1 others like this.

I FEAR NO BEER
post #76 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 10:12 AM
Fullsize Member

Garage
Recap

It's pretty crazy that we are already half way through this competition, You all have some really clean and cool pieces. I did not think that my old school TTB had a chance against you SAS boys but its been a great pleasure to give you guys a view at how my mistress aka Rose has been changing and adapting to my needs overtime and because I keep it real all my f ups as well . So I'm going to give you guys a recap of what has been going on so far.

Saved her from getting sent to the auction house on May 30th, 2015

Drove her home under her own power

Fought with electrical issues to get her right

3 Bolt auto hubs swap over to Warn Premiums after finding the auto completely trash to pieces

April 16th, 2016
Ran my very first official trail run (Back way to Crown King) and met a bunch of super awesome Broncos and Drivers also came home with a list of future mods needed as well as broken running board

August 25th, 2016
After tons of FSB research and recommendations I Installed a "Super Lift" 6 inch lift with extended radius arms as well as Super Runner steering

September 10th, 2016
Take her out for first lifted trail run, find out I had the wrong springs installed, 4 inch instead of 6..... Same day I take out my transmission and boil it over, contaminated the whole thing due to my amateur experience with a 4x4

19 days later new proper springs are in Thank you Super Lift!!!

October 6th, 2016
She goes under the knife for a DIY transmission rebuild

36 days later
well you can also say I sent her to the Butcher since My rebuild did not go as planned
Still down for trans

December 15th, 2016
Found a used engine, trans and transfer case at a great deal, few days later She is up and running again an now have a back up engine and auto tcase

Give her a little better vision upgrade with HID projectors as well as a light bar

January 14th, 2017
First time I Feel like I'm going to die in it came super close to rolling/tipping over while at a Tucson AZ run about three hours away from home. Oh yeah I did not mention this earlier but fuel pump took a complete dump on the way home I was about an hour and half but I made it one more hour just chugging her along by stopping letting it cool down then driving again and then repeat till the last half were a chevy had to pull me home

February 20th,2017
I SCORE A FREE SOFT TOP lol

Installed some diy rock slider and steps after learning how to weld from the school of YouTube

By May I now have 35 inch KM2 BFG's and running 4.56gars with ARB in the back and Auburn LS in the front. 500 miles later I jack up my new ARB since I pinch the internal hard line.

Build a new center console then add some color to the inside

There is some stuff that did I did not add to the timeline as they are going to be shown in the other half of this competition. She has been a non stop project for me tons of time, love and cuss words have been directed towards my build but I'm in it for the long run.

Everything has been a learning experience for me and with a great amount of contribution from everyone on here that has left info from years ago just know you are still making a difference daily and helping us all out.
post #77 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 08:26 PM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
Sometime in October or November of 1999, I was working an evening shift in the area near the Otay Mesa Port-of-Entry, which is used more by commercial traffic entering the U.S. than tourists and everyday border crossers. Most of the activity there is vehicle crossing, with very few pedestrians. It's an interesting area to work, as the area was a mix of undeveloped fields, commercial warehouses, and businesses that cater to truckers hauling their goods in & out of Mexico, and it's several miles of (at that time) mostly farm fields and undeveloped land from the more popular San Ysidro port.

I was sitting to the west of the port, watching the vehicle traffic heading southbound into Mexico when something caught my eye. It was an extremely attractive young woman, nicely dressed, walking north to the side of the traffic. Her demeanor and dress were not at all what we'd normally see with a person trying to sneak into the U.S., and if she hadn't been where she was and walking in that particular direction, I wouldn't have given her anything more than an admiring glance.

But it was not normal to be walking north in that area, and the only two possible explanations were that she stepped out of a southbound vehicle just yards before it crossed into Mexico, or she casually sauntered across the border illegally (right under the eye of Mexican Customs... or more likely, with their approval).

I threw the Bronco in gear and roared across an asphalt parking lot, stopping just short of the lanes of traffic, and jumped out, running a few steps to catch up with her. For a moment, she pretended not to hear me calling her, but then she turned and walked over. Yep, she was a stunner!

In my best broken Spanish, I asked where she came from and her citizenship. She admitted that she had just walked north over the border illegally, and that she was a Mexican citizen with no immigration documents. The reason she crossed in that way, she told me in Spanish, was that she was late for her job at a San Diego area hospital... as if that perfectly explained an illegal entry.

"Umm... you can't do that," I said. "You have to go thru the pedestrian lanes, into the building, and talk to inspectors to enter legally. And you have to have legal entry documents." I asked her how she had entered before, and she just shrugged. Ok, simple case, I thought. Just another entry without inspection charge.

I walked her back to the rear of the Bronco and opened the tailgate and cage door, and asked her to climb on the tailgate & get in the backwards facing rear seat while I filled out some paperwork. Once I had her basic biographical info, I called for a transport vehicle to take her to the station. While we were waiting, I did a quick search of her purse while she watched. Typical girl things... makeup, wallet, tissues... and then I came across a rolled up & taped sandwich baggie containing something green. Ah ha! There's more to the story here! Maybe she's involved with the narcos! My first thought was that she had some pot, so I asked her (again, in my poor Spanish) what was in the bag.

I didn't recognize the word she was using and asked again. I probably asked several times, turning over the baggie in my hand as I looked closely at it. I bent the roll back & forth, hearing a crunching noise that I'd expect from dried leaves. Ah ha! I'm sure it's a handful of marijuana at that point. So I pulled out my knife, flicked it open, and cut through the tape to unroll the baggie. The girl watched with a pained look on her face as I unrolled the contraband and looked inside to see... a dead hummingbird. WTF?

"Why do you have this?" I asked, pointing down at the now crumpled handful of bright green feathers. I can only imagine the look on my face as she replied "...for luck, officer." Well, it didn't work for you tonight, did it? I sheepishly handed her back the plastic bag and her purse, and closed the cage door as we waited for the transport van. Honestly, I felt awful for crunching up her dead bird. Who the hell carries a dead bird around for luck, anyway?

Out of literally thousands of people that I've caught crossing the border, and smuggling drugs, money, counterfeit goods and weapons into the U.S., I'll always remember that pretty little Mexican girl who strutted across the line with the dead hummingbird in her purse, and how I snapped it into a handful of dried feathers and bones while she sat in the back of the Bronco and watched me.

post #78 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 08:10 PM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
I needed to replace the rotten exhaust, which was probably the original one. So I opened up the wallet again (this was getting old) and had the local exhaust store fix me up. Once again, it's stock, which means quiet, boring and adds no power.

Then I took the truck in and had my fenders repainted where the old paint was peeling off. The shop did a decent job, and it really made the truck look better. Eventually we'll do the whole thing, but for now, this will have to do! Oh, I also replaced the missing side rub strips, Bronco XLT emblems, and reapplied the gold pinstripes. Honestly, it looks pretty much like I remember them in the late 1990s.

(the side trim isn't all installed in that photo)

Then I had a major distraction. Because I was committed to keeping a low profile with the Bronco until it had antique plates, I had been thinking of another older vehicle to take to shows with my boy. After all, every summer counts when they're young!

And then a friend called me with the news that what looked like an older Border Patrol car was at a local shop. Out of curiosity, I went to look at it, and discovered that it was indeed a former BP vehicle (1991 Caprice), and it was in outstanding shape! Honestly, it looked new compared to the Bronco, and very little would be needed to put it back to original shape. So I bought it and finished it within a few months, and my son & I participated in 2 years of shows with it while the Bronco slept in storage, with occasional trips out to explore the farm and country backroads.

Without going off-story too much (and I could, because we drove that car to events all over the country & I have a lot of cool photos), I'll say that we enjoyed having the sedan and it only reinforced the idea that we would be participating in vintage police car events with the Bronco as soon as it would be eligible.

In fact, driving the Caprice made me look forward to the Bronco, which is an XLT with cruise, power windows and much more comfortable than the sedan, which has rubber floors, no cruise, and hand crank windows. That's another thing that really surprised me about the BP Broncos; the ones from the early 1990s were base models, while the later ones were loaded XLTs. Who makes these purchasing decisions?
Whoever it was, thanks! I love that this truck has so many comforts! We loved them in the field (mostly because we didn't have to lean over and roll down the passenger window when talking to another agent in his vehicle) & I appreciate it even more now!

I recently sold the sedan to a collector in Germany, and now we're concentrating on the Bronco once again!

post #79 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 03:01 AM
Fullsize Member

Garage
Not long after practicing how to weld I decided it was time for a hidden winch in the front bumper, after a bit of searching around I decided to base my build of a harbor freight winch plate, then I cut n weld pieces to make it fit, the whole thing will unbolt if the need ever came.

post #80 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 03:35 AM
Fullsize Member

Garage
No bumper definitely looks like I skipped out on leg day at the bronco Gym ahahah

One of the attachment point for the winch is at the sway bar bracket, the other is at the frame ends and last is at the bumper brackets welded to the frame

Having the winch with no tie down or tow hooks seem like a waste so I welded to the frame end a 3/4 D-ring mount they are welded about and inch and half all around, seems to be pretty solid but I have yet to test them, that a good thing right lol

This is the final product, definitely would of came in very handy when I needed to get pulled out in Tucson 😁

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Ford Bronco Forum > Welcome > F.O.T.M Voting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode