July 2018 F.O.T.M. Vote Here!!!!!! - Page 5 - Ford Bronco Forum
View Poll Results: Who will be your July 2018 F.O.T.M. ???
Runs You Over 4 6.78%
1clean5.8 12 20.34%
PoppaGator 2 3.39%
Ghosteh 22 37.29%
CainsBigRed 19 32.20%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

896Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 08:52 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: '96 XLT 5.0L manual hubs, 4" Rancho lift, rock sliders, relocated shock mounts, original USBP vehicl
Garage
For nearly 3 years, I never was able to get my rear window down. Admittedly, it wasn't a high priority repair, but because I eventually wanted to turn my rear seat backwards and build the front & rear screen for the cage, I had to get it down. Last autumn I brought the Bronco into the garage & spent nearly all winter on the tailgate rebuild. Obviously, speed is not a concern for me.

I wrestled and fought with the window, which would only move up & down a few inches. Eventually, I got enough play to get my hands in there and really push down hard, and the glass lowered enough to open the tailgate. Some may ask why I didn't simply unhook the glass while it was up, and slide it down inside enough to open the tailgate; I can only answer that by saying I'm not flexible enough to crawl over the seat and work at it from the inside. But, happy ending because it did come down. I honestly think it was probably the first time it had been down in at least 10 years.

Looking inside, the diagnosis wasn't very good. My motor was extremely weak, the "scissor arms" were bent (from me forcing them down), the rollers were absolutely shot, the wires were crunchy, as well as the window sweeps, weather strips, and bump stops. Plus, the rear glass was severely scratched from years of scraping against the brittle sweeps. I made the decision that I was going to do a total tailgate rebuild.

After unbolting everything, I went to work, glassbeading all the rusted metal, replacing the nylon rollers & tracks, as well as the wiring and internal safety switch. One of the rubber bump stops inside the tailgate (at the bottom) was missing, and the other was hard as a rock.

My biggest issue was this: the torsion bar bracket had rusted enough that it really wasn't doing much to hold the bar up & out of the way when the tailgate was up. That was putting pressure on either the glass or the metal scissor arms, and I'm sure a major reason it wasn't going up & down.

The solution was to weld a small piece of channel iron in place, and I also attached a loose nylon strap around the bar & the bracket as sort of a "safety" in case the bar somehow worked its way out of the bracket again. Anyone who's been inside their tailgate will see the enormous pressure that bar is under when the tailgate is lowered, and if it gets loose, it's going to shatter your rear glass!

I wish I had taken more photos of the rebuild, but for some reason it just didn't occur to me. But I do have a few

In the end, everything went back together, the button was pressed, the new motor hummed perfectly, and the fresh glass glided up and down like a warm knife through butter. All the weather stripping around the window and tailgate is new and seals up great! No leaks inside or out! It's a great feeling to fix all those nagging issues, and one step further to the next project! Oh, and although I started counting up the cost of the tailgate rebuild, I stopped just short of adding it all up. I didn't want to know.

But it was worthwhile to rebuild the tailgate, and I started to see payback almost immediately after I got inside. I located the source of part of the smell; a dead mouse, laying happily in his nest at the bottom of the tailgate. After I pulled him out, and cleaned out all his droppings, that nagging smell finally went away.

And there were more surprises hidden in the tailgate. Here's just part of the fortune I found in there:

I found several Mexican coins, and I have no idea how they would have gotten inside the tailgate! Anyone riding in the rear would have a metal screen between them and the inside of the tailgate, so I don't know how they would have reached it to drop them in. But they did. A total of 3.25 pesos is a start on recovering the hundreds of dollars the rebuild cost.

When I started the project, I should have said "I'm going to rebuild this tailgate, and Mexico is going to pay for it!"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 06:29 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: Rosita my 95 XLT Sport, 5.8, 33x12.5x15, 6 inch lift, factory limited slip, manual hubs
Garage
Here is a small sound clib of what my exhaust sounds like from the inside of can with no rear softop window in.

Vote here for your Hot Next Door Bronco

https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...vote-here.html
post #83 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 11:12 PM
Crusher Mike

Bronco Info: 1991 Arrow Nosed 5.8. SAS, 35" Cooper STT PRO 7" lift, 4.88s locked, Viar OBA
The bronco has endured many things one of which was a "hey can you haul a trailer to colorado for me with all my crap from storage?" type of trip. We made it to Colorado and on the way back we blew a radiator hose right outside of flagstaff. We managed to get some help to Napa where I was able to get a hose. However I had already overheated the engine so bad that it locked up. After about 2 hours of sitting I got the ol' girl fired up and we were on our way. I drove the bronco around for another 2 years like that even moving to Vegas and driving it to Colorado and back to AZ again that way until the motor finally gave up. I could drive around town all day, but as soon as I got on the freeway the temp would climb and the radiator would boil over. So it was time for a motor.

Muddy heads after dropping the block off at the machine shop I was called a day later and told my heads were cracked so there was the cause of the overheat issue.

This engine has been in for the past 10 years and hasn't failed me. however I have a plan for a 460 or a diesel for the next one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 11:19 PM
Crusher Mike

Bronco Info: 1991 Arrow Nosed 5.8. SAS, 35" Cooper STT PRO 7" lift, 4.88s locked, Viar OBA
Shortly after this build we moved to Oregon and went to the dunes and wheeled the the Pacific NW guys at Tillimook state forest.

Mine and my brother in-laws bronco I bought that for $600 and put a mustang 5.0 in it.

A Few sitting at my parents house In Oregon

post #85 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 01:59 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: Rosita my 95 XLT Sport, 5.8, 33x12.5x15, 6 inch lift, factory limited slip, manual hubs
Garage
So after many trail runs with Rose the wife finally agree to go with winch meant I could push n do the camping, this time it was going end with overnight camping, the whole trip I had the a/c on but around the 3rd hour of the trail, it was no longer keeping the cab cool, which is a huge NO for the wife.

Main issues I was having was once we stop to take pictures or while waiting to get everyone thru an area my a/c would start blowing warm. I did not hear the end of it the whole trip on how much it suck due to the AZ heat n no a/c so once I got home I started to figure out what would be a inexpensive fix since the main issue was insufficient cooling and air flow of the condenser. I finally made a decision to just install a pusher fan that I could activate manually or that it turn on automatically, Derale and Dakota controllers we're out if the question as I could not spend too much money.

So I spent some time in a junkyard looking at every car until I found a Suzuki Grand Vitara, it happened to have a pusher fan and it was almost the perfect size to cover the whole condenser.

Once I got home and did some trimming of the fan I wired everything with realys so I could manually turn on the fan with a switch and also for it to turn on automatically anytime the a/c was on now she blew cold the rest of that year and spent hours on trail with a/c on and no more warm air issues in 2017.

This summer I'm planning on replacing the compressor as it does leak n has only lasted me an average of one year. With a baby here shortly I definitely need to get if fix but budget is now even more strict as I need to save. Worst case leaking compressor will be replaced next year.

post #86 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 02:01 PM
I Won My

Bronco Info: 1Ton Leaf Sprung 94 Bronco, KP D60/10.25 w/ 37" MTRs, Shackle Flip
Oh man this is tough!! you guys all rock!! love these pictures!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncarpenter1 View Post
Hey Steve change your sig.........

My Build
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=213420
post #87 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 10:08 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: '96 XLT 5.0L manual hubs, 4" Rancho lift, rock sliders, relocated shock mounts, original USBP vehicl
Garage
You may have noticed a few earlier photos of the front of my Bronco, with string tied around the top of the grill. (And there's one below, if you missed them.) Sad to say, yes... the grill was being held on with string. Who knows how long that had been going on? The front "header panel" had been broken before I got it, and a large part of it in the center was either gone, or held in as separate pieces. Obviously, it had to be replaced.

This was another winter project, after the rear tailgate rebuild. I pulled the front off and ordered a new panel. It wasn't too difficult to swap all the hardware over, and it was SO much nicer to have the headlights bolted to a new supporting panel. It also gave me the perfect opportunity to replace a few blown indicator lights.

Meanwhile, my search for the original emergency equipment was having some success. A good friend was able to identify the small lights used in the front grill and I found a red & blue one, still new. Who doesn't love finding brand new, 20 year old stuff?

Best part was that the holes in their housing matched perfectly with the existing holes in the grill, so I knew they were the correct models.

There's no way I was going to use that faded & scratched old grill with the brand new lights, so I got on ebay and found a NOS Ford grill. Even though it was a few bucks more, I'm glad that I went with original Ford parts instead of the cheap Chinese replicas. It looks perfect, fits, and there were absolutely no issues.

I mounted the emergency lights exactly where they had been in the old grill. They're not wired in yet, but they're ready to be as soon as I find the correct light controller for my console.

There is one more light that I need for the grill, which is different from those other two. We're still trying to identify the oddball light. I have no idea why they ran 3 lights (two red & a blue), but that's what it had. So my search for parts isn't over yet!

(old photo)

But damn... doesn't that look good?

post #88 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 11:08 PM

Bronco Info: 95 Bronco XLT- '79 HP D44, 11 inch lift, 5:13s,37s, locked front, and many other goodies!
I wasnt a fan of the stock grille since everything else was modded and I wanted to stand out. So after looking through many different grilles I hit up a buddy that does metal work and he hooked a brotha up!

Added a few little doodads

And BAM!

I wanted some more sound out of the exhaust and at the same time i wanted to talk to people so I installed a QTP exhaust cutout and a magnaflow muffler. sounds nice both ways!

6 seat bronco anyone?

new rotors

Hefty fabworks shackles

Swapped the 4 inch pack and blocks for a 6 inch pack

More tomorrow !

I FEAR NO BEER
post #89 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 01:14 AM
Crusher Mike

Tillimook State forest

post #90 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 01:18 PM
Fullsize Member

Garage
Some of you may have noticed that my rear bumper in some pictures looks awfully familiar well yes, you are correct its from a previous FSB winner 😀 it was one of those I got lucky and seen the post come up fresh of the internet webs. I knew he live in Flagstaff so that's about a two hour drive from me this drive is nothing but a multiple mountain climbs pretty much. Well I was one of the first that reply and in my reply I right away insisted I could go pick it up.

At this time I had been looking to build a tire carrier since last thing I needed was the brand new 35 and original tire carrier to snap of and fly down the highway or at trail. Now with a near decent welding skill I knew I could build one and was looking at some kits like the ones at RuffStuff.

Well once he listed the price even with $40 in gas it would be worth it and could mod it as I wanted, so finally arrangements we're made and I made the drive with another member to go pick it up. That thing was heavy!!! Definitely needed two people to securely transfer from the back of one bronco to the next

Here it is with some fresh good old spray paint coating

During the trail run known as Turkey Creek I broke a couple of things one of them was the new bumper, I had already ran multiple trails with it on by that time but I had not noticed how much the tire would bounce around until it was pointed out to me by the member the build it, he offer to fix it but it was something I could do at home and didn't want to wasted his time. Here you can see where the tire was pulled off and a different member had some space so he carry it for me till end of run.

Some cheap light I wired in with a relay to work as reverse lights.

They are bright 😁

post #91 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 02:11 PM
Fullsize Member

Garage
Well I guess I forgot to add my repair to the last post.

All I had to was weld in a reinforcement to piece that holds on the tired I used some tubing I had laying around it was a simple fix and no more tire bouncing around.

post #92 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 03:12 PM
I Won My

beautiful pics 5.8
Ghosteh likes this.

Quote:

My Build
post #93 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 09:34 PM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
I know everyone loves trail ride photos, but maybe some will appreciate something a bit different now & then.
A few posts ago, I mentioned that I took my old squad car to several shows, and we really enjoyed them. They're fun events & we've become friends with quite a few really good guys.

This past Spring, I took the Bronco to its first show, parking it among the other vintage police vehicles. Although it was at least 10 years newer than the other cars (most were 70s or 80s), it was well received. Besides being the only non-sedan police vehicle there, it was one of the few 4x4s at the show, and the only Bronco.
We were representing!

Most of the day was spent chatting with people who stopped to look it over, and there were a lot of questions. My boy really enjoyed telling people all about it, while I sat back and watched.

We didn't win any awards, but that's ok. We're not into it for plastic trophies, but for the comradery and fun.
It was a great day & another fun memory to share!

post #94 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 01:20 AM
Crusher Mike

Back to AZ,
After a couple years my employment ended with my company and my wife really wanted to get back to Az. So we headed back here are some randoms from just a day out with some buddies.

post #95 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 12:07 PM
Fullsize Member

Garage
Here are a few random add ons I have done to her over time.

For the trans upgrade cooler I added a pusher fan that is just control by relay to a switch on my center console. Reason for the fan was to try and keep temp down when 4 wheeling since I do have the temperature gauge on it I can keep an eye on it.

When I install the rear locker I had to find a good place to install the air compressor, so I decided to relocate the cruise control module more toward the firewall and then welded a small bracket in that location, compressor was then attached to the bracket.

For those of you that do off-road you know that when you are facing toward the sky as you climp up sometimes it's nice to be able to see the trail or what's on the other side of that hill, so to help with this issues I install front and rear cameras that I can toggle between and see them on my monitor also does help with parking 😁

post #96 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 02:10 PM
I Won My

ghosteh those are cool pics! I love the history behind your bko
itwasFREE!!!! likes this.

Quote:

My Build
post #97 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 02:31 PM
Crusher Mike

Sorry the pictures above are pre Oregon but oh well they are pictures none the less here are few more then we can get into the good stuff.

post #98 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 02:43 PM
Crusher Mike

A little night wheeling in Florence Junction this trip was the determining factor in the arrow nose.

Wood Pecker

RA bracket came loose

Pulling the chevy through

post #99 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 10:57 AM
Fullsize Member

Garage
Vote CainsBigRed for July 2018

Any kind of cool areas or 4 wheeling is usually at least an hour and half drive from me down in Phoenix, but here is and Older Picture I really like from Estrella Mountains in south west phoenix area, I was bored that day and took a drive, ended up in Maricopa AZ after I decided to take a dirt road and just follow it to where I would end up.

This are some shots from Tour de' Flag, nothing crazy in regards 4 wheeling but just a lot of scenic area which I can't find many pictures of. There were so many Broncos it felt a bit crazy towards the end.

Letting her cool down after a uphill trek to 9,298 feet on top of mount Elden in Flagstaff AZ (elevation in phoenix is 1,086). This is when itís nice to have a automatic temp switch for the trans to turn on my fan, I did not keep an eye on trans temp as we climb that definitely was a NO NO lol.

Setting up camp after the end out Tour de' Flag we had an amazing turn out of about 15-20 Broncos, that was one very long day a solid 12 hours of driving around. This was the second time I got the wife to come along and camp, this time with a way smaller tent and no dogs but I have plans for camping upgrades thanks to the ideas I seen from @remco with his killer overland setup.

This was my second trip out to Tucson, This time the trip was pretty cool as my cousin drove like 12 hours from Sacramento Ca to join me on this run, He had never been wheeling before so he was in for a treat.
I was kind of hoping it would be the same trail as last time so i could take revenge on the hill where I almost rolled since this time I was prepared with a full family roll cage and winch and locker and mud tires :X but that was not the case

It was a great time, this trip ended up with camping as well another great reason to join and be part of the a Bronco club is sharing the Comradely of the love we have for this capable beast.
No major issues on this trip only slice up side wall on the both rear tires from flexing a little too much into the rear fender wells and them getting cut up, which really sucks since the tires are still so new. Other issue I had was a leak on my passenger side exhaust header. That in turn gave me a check engine light but I made the 3 hour drive back home the next day under her OWN power this time , I was able to get the header leak fix by removing the whole passenger header and putting down a new bead of high temp silicone gasket maker, no more back pressure issues to the EGR valve so check engine light clear up one leak was fixed.

Just a little stretching

Was able to hang with the sas boys and put that locker to used

This has definitely been the biggest obstacle I have done, I put the rock slider, tires and lockers all to used on this one. which since since my rock sliders are full length I also tore off a tires since it was binding against it as i flex my way up, will need to trim them back a bit. I also now have a set of add leaf so i can removed my rear lift blocks, plan with that is to also do a reverse shackle flip.
post #100 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 03:08 PM
Crusher Mike

OK Time to speed this up. About 2 years ago I thought I was done wheeling and decided to start working on the appearance of the bronco. I though "eh i really dont go wheeling anymore and so I'll put it all back together to a street queen" well that all changed when some buddies got XJ's and JK's and asked if I would show them some of the trails.
SO I started re working the Axle swap and the arrow nose and away we went.

I got a light bar from a friend and had to figure out how to mount it (this was before they made brackets for broncos) i had an old snowboard rack I ad never used and started cutting and welding. Thats how my light bar is mounted the way it is.

Now the Nose I had planned this for a long time. When I got this bronco I really wanted a 5th Gen but because we had owned all other generations. So I started accumulating parts and here it is.

I also converted the lights to HID

My Mickey thompsons finally gave up so I walked into a tire shop to inquire about 37's the counter guy told me if I was ok with 35's he had some in stock and he made me a killer deal so I ended up with the coopers. They are an awesome tire Ive been pretty happy with them.

Then a Winch for a badlands this thing has held up I'm really happy with it.

Shortly after all this work my trans went out and she sat for another year. My buddies cousin owns a trans shop and rebuild the trans for $800. It was Converted all over to a 4R100.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Ford Bronco Forum > Welcome > F.O.T.M Voting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode