July 2018 F.O.T.M. Vote Here!!!!!! - Ford Bronco Forum
View Poll Results: Who will be your July 2018 F.O.T.M. ???
Runs You Over 4 6.78%
1clean5.8 12 20.34%
PoppaGator 2 3.39%
Ghosteh 22 37.29%
CainsBigRed 19 32.20%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

896Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
F.O.T.Y. 2017

Bronco Info: 78 W/400
Garage
July 2018 F.O.T.M. Vote Here!!!!!!

OK Let's get this party Started!!!!!!

Here are your contestants for July 2018 FULLSIZE OF THE MONTH!!!!!

1) @Runs You Over

2) @1clean5.8

3) @PoppaGator

4) @Ghosteh

5) @CainsBigRed

Show us what you've got and make us proud!!!

Want to chat with one of the contestants on an upgrade or anything ? Post up here: Chat with the contestants . This is going to be a GOOD ONE !!!!! Let the games... begin!!!

Last edited by itwasFREE!!!!; 07-01-2018 at 07:59 PM. Reason: edit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 10:22 AM

Bronco Info: 1989 FORD BRONCO 351 XLT 100% ORIGINAL
Garage
It's not a banana in my pocket, this competition is just stiff. Those are some nice looking rigs gentleman. Good luck to everyone!

Oh yea, vote for me . . Poppa Gator.

1989 Ford Bronco 4x4 351
100% original

Last edited by PoppaGator; 07-01-2018 at 10:46 AM. Reason: remove hyperlink
post #3 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 10:27 AM

Garage
Warhoss likes this.

Last edited by PoppaGator; 07-01-2018 at 10:31 AM. Reason: removing link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 11:29 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: '96 XLT 5.0L manual hubs, 4" Rancho lift & other stuff
Garage
Thanks for letting me contribute this month! I’ve always enjoyed following the FTOM competitions, but to be honest I never thought my Bronco would have wide enough appeal to be competitive. You have to admit, it’s not the typical rig that you see in here, and my goals for it aren’t what most would do.

In my Bronco story:

- You’re not going to see incredibly beautiful locations. I live in Illinois, where corn and beans cover a good 85% of the state.
- There are no trail ride photos coming. Sorry to disappoint.
- A cool straight-axle-swap isn't part of the story. That means no amazing photos of a flexing suspension.
- The drivetrain is stock. No diesel. No big block. Even worse, it’s a 5.0 without so much as a cold air intake.
- It’s not even a chrome pavement queen, sparkling in flawless paint and high-dollar aluminum rims. It has plenty of scars.
- These days, I can’t even drive it to Dairy Queen without someone calling me a Nazi or flipping me the bird.

So this probably won’t be the most appealing rig to many people. Despite the long odds, I wanted to join in on the fun & share why I think this is just about the best Bronco in the world. It’s my time machine.

In order to explain why anyone would even possibly consider this particular 1996 Bronco XLT more interesting than other Broncos, I should probably first explain the background, and what this vehicle has seen as a very visible part of the U.S. Border Patrol.

Ok, so it’s an old government truck that’s been used & abused. So what? What the heck is so special about the Border Patrol, and why would this be more interesting than time spent with a Sheriff’s Department or the Forest Service. I’ll try to explain. (And patience… I’ll get to the details on THIS Bronco soon. After-all, we have a month. ��

Without a doubt, it’s the world’s greatest game of hide-and-seek, tag, and capture-the-flag, all rolled into one. It really is. But describing it in that way really undermines the extreme seriousness and danger of the job. It ignores the tragedy, drama, and emotion that can appear in an instant. Depending on the day, location, or your luck, your shift can have that rare 9 hours of quiet solitude, many miles away from anyone else, or 15 hours or more of constant activity. You go hands-on with some of the most humble, respectful people you’ve ever met one moment, and the next moment, a literal life & death fight with the most callous, dangerous thugs imaginable. You may arrest one or two people at a time, but more likely you’ll be arresting groups of 10 – 20 people regularly, with no idea who they are. You cross paths with desperate people carrying their entire life savings in a backpack as they come north to look for a better way of life, and bandits who hide in the shadows with weapons, waiting to rob, rape, or worse. And of course, the smugglers who make a living sneaking across the border with anything from hundreds of pounds of illegal narcotics, to leading a group of foreign nationals headed for jobs as dish washers and drywallers in every town across the nation.

Now here's where the story starts.

Nearly 23 years ago, I was the one packing everything I owned and traveling thousands of miles for a new opportunity. But instead of breaking the law, I was charged with enforcing it. I was a probationary agent, eager & fresh out of the academy, in a career that a few years earlier I never even knew existed. Every day at 3pm, I listened to the daily shift briefing, checked out a shotgun or rifle, and grabbed the keys to my Bronco before leaving the compound and driving out to my assigned area of the border.

A lot of things changed over the ensuing years, most of it after 9/11. Politics intervened. Illegal traffic patterns and trends shifted. Border infrastructure was improved. New technology was added alongside the proven old ways. And the vehicles changed. There were 2-doorTahoes, replaced with 4-door models, then Excursions, followed by Jeeps, heavy-duty F250s, Ford Raptors, and on & on…

But at no time in my career were things so intense and exciting as they were in the first few years. And during that time, I drove my Bronco.

Most everyone here has an attachment to their Bronco and a story to tell. My Bronco’s greatest stories aren’t about a new lift kit, axel swap, or a weekend trail ride, but stories from two decades past, and about chasing drug smugglers, stumbling across the Mexican military with rifles, laying in to intercept illegal border crossers, and rescuing people in desperate need. I’ll attempt to tell some of those, along with how I searched for years to find this Bronco, rescue it from certain destruction and bring it back to life, and what the future holds for us both.
Thanks & I look forward to this month of awesome stories and photos from everyone!

post #5 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 03:36 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: Rosita my 95 XLT Sport, 5.8, 33x12.5x15, 6 inch lift, factory limited slip, manual hubs
Garage
The year is 1988 and I get to ride for the first time ever in a 1978 Ford Pick up, my dad and mom just brought me home from the hospital little did they know a Ford Fan was just born....

Over the years I grew up and develop a passion for the automotive world, owning mostly sporty vehicles or sedans, but few years later it was time for me to get something practical and fun now that I was a home owner also need to haul stuff constantly. The opportunity came around and I was able to afford a spare vehicle I search and search over time but everything was always out of my budget, Fast forward to May 30th, 2015 and I came across something has change my life for the better. My 1995 XLT Sport she goes by the name of Rose, I was super excited to get to the dealership to check it out, the dealer had it mark and ready for the auction lot But I saved it! or did it save me?

I had done tons of research and knew what to look for since I spent weeks on end reading all the post on here and other sites with known issues and what made them worth it to the right person. Since I'm mechanically incline i was not too worried about what issues it had. We arrived at the dealership and I spot it right away sitting away in the back with windows all open and full of dust, the sales man goes pick up a jump box while I check it out. The whole thing was there! I couldn't believe what they where asking for it, KBB at the time show it was almost two thousand more than what they where asking.

Sales man comes back and she starts up right away the smooth purr from the 5.8 L was great to hear I at least knew engine was solid, I was ready to test drive it and see how the trans shifted, right away I notice the delay in reverse but it was okay cause I knew it could of just been a drop trans filter, drove the bronco down a few miles and came back .... I felt like i was going to die the way it rode and turn at tight corners. It was not in as great shape suspension wise as I had initially hoped but I did't care cause it was a project. $1800.00 later including taxes I was now the owner of a Ford Bronco my first Ford vehicle that was tittle to my name I was stoked!!!!!.

I fuel up at near by gas station 15 gallons later I figured out the gauge was bad and was not really completely empty (did not shut it off as I didn't have a jump box and knew it would not restart without one) made my trek home from Buckeye az down to Phoenix where I lived, dad follow behind in his truck and it did good the engine shifted smoothly and the engine was crisp no stutter or stalling. I get her home and wife was shock a huge bronco now just chilling in the garage.... it was not the little bronco 2 she had in mind oops

I wanna thank you all for this opportunity to share my story about Rose and how she was develop and change over the last few years. From a stock Bronco on 33's to where she is at now, you will see her growth over the next month and how I develop a passion and love for this bronco and other broncos that we get to meet.

Thank You, Cain

Last edited by CainsBigRed; 07-01-2018 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Images did not show up
post #6 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 04:23 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, 6" lift, 4.56 gears, 35" GY MT/Rs, front locker, rear LSD, rear disc conversion
Garage
Good start gentlemen! Looking forward to the month’s show!
Warhoss likes this.

MS88Bronc
Don't be fooled by the name,
1996 XL with 5.8L/E4OD/BW1356,
4.56 gears with lockers

-->My Build Thread<--
***GO CHECK OUT MY RUN IN THIS MONTH'S FULLSIZE OF THE MONTH COMPETITION HERE!!***
post #7 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 06:11 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: Rosita my 95 XLT Sport, 5.8, 33x12.5x15, 6 inch lift, factory limited slip, manual hubs
Garage
Who likes meet and greets? This is a short glimpse of one from last year they call it Smiley Rock

Last edited by CainsBigRed; 07-01-2018 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Fix video link
post #8 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 07:34 PM
Fullsize Member

Garage
Went out n got some supplies for A little surprise project for the end

Last edited by Quader1; 07-02-2018 at 01:33 AM.
post #9 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 01:02 AM
Crusher Mike

Bronco Info: 1991 Arrow Nosed 5.8. SAS, 35" Cooper STT PRO 7" lift, 4.88s locked, Viar OBA
Good evening all! Thanks for the nomination. Ive been apart of this site for along time and the love of broncos has been with me from childhood when my dad traded my uncle a 79 cougar for a 79 bronco ranger XLT that my uncle ordered from the factory. This is the 6th bronco my family has had and I have owned it since 2003.

This is when I bought it

This is what it is today

post #10 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 10:19 AM
Fullsize Member

Garage
As I previously mention she was completely stock when I first bought her, one of the main issues was the suspension since it was pulling hard to the left and almost felt like the tires where catching hard on something when I turn I needed to get it a alignment done, But what good would a alignment do when it would not start up on its own. First on the list was figuring out why she would not start, pulled the battery and took it to get charge but it was bad. Knowing it had a fresh tag on it (looked like it was replace like 6 months before i bought it) I was able to get the auto part's store to warranty it out for me even though I was not the one who bought it but all i needed to do was sweet talking the counter lady

I replace the battery and she fires right up no problem few days past-by as she just sat in the garage and battery completely dead again, something to be killing it, so I pulled every single light bulb recharge and went two weeks no issues. Then the starter gives me the death click, pulled it to get it check out and solenoid terminal just falls off. then I find what I believe was actually shorting out/draining my battery the starter cable was partially melted on to the exhaust replace wiring wire universal stuff from the store, fresh starter and no problem for a bit

She actually clean up nicely

Take her in to get it align and guess what bearings are shot so took her home redid all bearings and but came across a problem the auto hubs where completely done, First upgrade was Warn Premiums conversion

Finally took her out for a little fun

The spare tire was a just a regular size one so I got lucky and found the exact same bfg KO in a 33 from a used tired shop, had him balance out the other fours since I was already there

Who likes foam baths

post #11 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 12:44 PM
Fullsize Member

Garage
Some action shots to keep you guys entertain

More info to come on some of my very noticeable changes B-)
post #12 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 03:31 PM

Garage
@White Dragon , thank you for the nomination brother.

[IMG]Copy of Copy of Vintage I want You Poster - Made with PosterMyWall by Lance Thomas, on Flickr[/IMG]

1989 Ford Bronco 4x4 351
100% original

Last edited by PoppaGator; 07-02-2018 at 03:36 PM. Reason: trying to insert pic
post #13 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 08:43 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: '96 XLT 5.0L manual hubs, 4" Rancho lift & other stuff
Garage

The first government vehicle assigned to me was a 1994 Bronco, dirty and dented, and I shared it with one of my academy classmates & best friends, who worked the midnight shift. New agents were lucky if they had an assigned vehicle; the alternative was to check out a ‘pool vehicle’ for your shift, and they were by far the worst ones in the fleet. Sometime around 1998 and after Broncos were discontinued, the government started buying 2-door Chevy Tahoes and many of the senior agents jumped at the chance to have a brand-new Tahoe and gave up their Broncos. My vehicle partner & I moved up to a ’95, and later a ’96 Bronco. While neither of us was a Ford loyalist, the government Broncos were (for some unexplained reason) XLT models. My buddy & I both liked having cloth seats, carpet, and power windows more than the new Chevys, which had rubber floors, vinyl seats, and manual windows. Plus, the Broncos were MUCH better off-road. So in a way, I guess the Bronco earned my loyalty early on.

Now I have to point out that a brand new Tahoe had considerably less rattles than a 3-4 year of Bronco that had spent all of its life off-road. Still, the Broncos were better vehicles.

The first 4x4 I owned was an ’81 Jeep that I dropped a hotrod 360c.i. AMC engine into. Great fun, with horrible dependability and mileage (I was a struggling college student). A few years later, I traded sideways for a Bronco II (don’t laugh), which I actually liked. But that was sold & replaced with a truck. Later, I thought I hit the big time when I bought a nearly new Jeep with air conditioning (gasp!) which was my personal vehicle when I started my Border Patrol career at age 30.

When I first started driving the full-size Bronco, I was extremely impressed with how comfortable it was, and how capable it was off-road. The terrain along the U.S./Mexican border in San Diego is mostly rocky with a red dirt that turns into slick clay when wet. It varies from a few flat fields to thick canyons, and eventually turns into mountains as you move from east-to-west. In the famous southern California rainy season, the whole area was a mess.

Broncos did well there, climbing up the rock-strewn hillsides and down into the valleys. But the BP learned that they did even better if they had a few improvements, which also meant they broke down less, lasted longer and cost less money in the long term. So sometime in the 1990s, Broncos in San Diego were upfitted with a Rancho suspension & lift kit, larger off-road tires, and rock slider/side steps. This was unique to San Diego, and having spent time working on other parts of the border, I can confirm two things: there were a lot of differences in the way each sector configured their vehicles, and the California Broncos looked the best!

My Bronco sports the Rancho lift, along with coil springs by “Baja Fabrication” (which I’ve never heard of) and a limiting strap. Originally, it had those distinctive white Rancho shocks with the red plastic dust boot, as well as a white/red Rancho steering stabilizer on the front. Those shocks and the long red trailing arms are what I remember most. (Unfortunately, I had to go with Bilsteins when I replaced mine last year. But I believe they’re a better shock.)

Those Broncos had a rough life, and the government was determined to squeeze every last bit out of them. Border enforcement wasn’t a top government priority at times, and there wasn’t always money for new replacement vehicles. Which is why some of these Broncos were still in the field until as late as 2002.

Some. Because most suffered from extreme abuse. What would you expect when you give a young man a brand new, lifted 4x4, a full tank of gas, and send him out to the trails with the knowledge that someone else would fix anything that broke. (Best of all, we were getting PAID to be there!)

A crack in the body or firewall, caused from the constant chassis flexing, could be repaired (as was mine), but a cracked frame meant scrapping the vehicle. Because most trucks were used on two, or even all three shifts, the loss of a vehicle with no replacement was a serious problem. Late in the year 2000, the Border Patrol began an ambitious project to “restore” Broncos and give them a few more years of life. Nearly 100 out of 400+ Broncos were disassembled and rebuilt, including new crate engines, transmissions, and whatever else then needed. The U.S. Army even provided mechanics for the huge undertaking. Despite the free labor, an average of $10K was spent on each vehicle during the rebuild, and then they were sent back out to the field for round two! Several of the Broncos in the rebuild program were deemed too damaged to safely repair.

One of the interesting things that happened during the rebuild was that the military mechanics would cut the core support and bend it slightly to give them enough room to drop the new engine/trans in the chassis. This one still shows those scars; the core support was cut & welded back after the rebuild. They’re not very pretty, and I’ll be replacing that panel eventually.

My Bronco also shows signs of a reinforced firewall, which was done on many after the metal began to split where the hood hinges mount. I have no idea how many times you have to open & close a hood before the firewall splits, but it has to be quite a few. Another body-flex issue was found in the corner of the roof, near the drip rails. Like so many others, mine has been reinforced in that area during the government rebuild.

Getting back to history, after the ambitious program to breath new life into worn out Broncos was completed and they were put back into the field, 9/11 happened. Suddenly everyone was thinking about who & what was coming into our country, and a huge amount of resources were available. The Border Patrol was only allotted so many vehicles, and with a huge amount available to buy new ones, they did what most would do and dumped the oldest ones in the fleet as quickly as possible. Twenty three surviving Broncos were sold to three wholesalers for $500 each, and quickly flipped to the public for approximately $1,500 each. Most had been driven for just a few months after the rebuild and having thousands of dollars had been spent on them. That had to be one of the best Bronco buys of the century! (And I missed it! )

This was one of the 23 Broncos that went through the government rebuild project and was sold soon after. Before being released to the public, the decals were removed, the wires to the radio and lights were cut & the equipment removed, the special-built screens and window bars that created the “cage” portion were removed, the rear seat was returned to the forward-facing position, and a pair of brand new rear seatbelts (still in the plastic bag) were tossed in the rear side pockets before the government would allow it to be sold.

My truck, fleet #H6230, found itself in Mississippi, and while its history there is lost, I do know that it went thru two owners, both of which used it as a “hunting vehicle”… which means it was beaten a lot and didn't see much love over the next 10+ years. That fact was evident when I first saw photos of it, but even more obvious when I saw it in person.
post #14 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 09:45 AM
Fullsize Member

Garage
Here is my very first Official trail run ever, not just some dirt road any suv could do in 4x4, I was blown at what my Rose could accomplish for being stock.

I was hooked!!!

It all snow ball from there I became extremely active with AZ BRONCO CLUB and became a expert at searching FSB for anything I had trouble with.

I now had a list of cool stuff I wanted to do and a new lift was first in the list, my only damage that day was my running board on passanger side. By the next day running boards were completely off and she was clean up and shine up again.

Seeing some of the stuff the other guys could do just change my view dramatically on what a real 4x4

post #15 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 10:00 AM
Crusher Mike

Bronco Info: 1991 Arrow Nosed 5.8. SAS, 35" Cooper STT PRO 7" lift, 4.88s locked, Viar OBA
Well I'm trying to get these out a bit slowly so that interest is not lost. So my plan when I got the bronco was not to do anything, however my imagination got the better of me so I started out small and made the mistake of starting with a 4 inch lift.

I soon realized that the 4 inch wasnt going to accomplish what I wanted.

Heres the last time it would be seen with a 4 inch ttb lift.

post #16 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 11:10 AM
Beach bumming it ........

Bronco Info: 91 Bronco 351W E4OD, 6" lift, 35 12.50 Procomp MT2 on 10" wide wheels, Sliders, and custom bumpers
Garage
post #17 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 12:26 PM
Crusher Mike

Just a few add ons that have been done over the years.
Front Aussie locker and 4.88 gears

On board air. Via air compressor 3 gal tank.

I’ll update some more as I go.
post #18 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 11:22 PM

Garage
My Bronco of The Month

So I come to you this 4th of July weekend very humbled and grateful to be in competition for Bronco of the month.

I have only had my Bronco since March of this year 2018 but I am a life long fan of Ford and the Bronco. Other than replacing a window motor and starting to replace a door lock actuator, I cannot compete with the incredible mods that the other guys in the competition have done. I also dont have any pictures of my truck climbing rocks or jumping sand dunes but what I do have, is what I think is one of the cleanest Original Bronco's in the Country. (IMO)

I present for your consideration my bone stock 1989 XLT Ford Bronco 4x4 with a 5.8. This truck had 1 previous owner for the first 28 years of its life until he passed away. THAT GUY MUST HAVE REALLY LOVED HIS TRUCK MAN BECAUSE IT SHOWS! It was then purchased at an auction by a group called car chasers and I found it on EBay. I have always looked at Bronco's and fox body mustang's on EBay and when I first saw this truck listing I knew It was coming home to South Carolina.

Here are some pics of this fine lady!

1989 Ford Bronco 4x4 351
100% original

Last edited by PoppaGator; 07-03-2018 at 11:37 PM. Reason: trying to add video and pic
post #19 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 11:42 PM

Garage
[IMG][/IMG]

1989 Ford Bronco 4x4 351
100% original

Last edited by PoppaGator; 07-03-2018 at 11:45 PM. Reason: trying to add video and additional info
post #20 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 11:47 PM

Garage
[IMG][/IMG]

1989 Ford Bronco 4x4 351
100% original
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Ford Bronco Forum > Welcome > F.O.T.M Voting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode