September 2018 F.O.T.M. VOTE HERE !!!!! - Page 2 - Ford Bronco Forum
View Poll Results: Who will be your September 2018 F.O.T.M. ???
_CJ 1 2.56%
Alwaysdirty 7 17.95%
jcarr 3 7.69%
95 Bronco Wyatt 20 51.28%
[email protected] 8 20.51%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

442Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 01:30 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: SAS Grizzly Locked Front and Rear
Hello fellow Broncoholics!

It has been a long last few days for myself so I haven't been able to keep the effort up like before but today I would like to share reasons why I really love my Bronco and the general hobby! First, working on my rig is like a personal therapy! Some of the Bronco projects are started and shortly after canned because I'm constantly thinking of the end goal, a confident reliable trail rig that has a thing for the rocks. Second, being around people who share a common interest. I don't usually take my rig out and play solo, if a group is going I like to be a part of it and share stories or BBQ or whatever presents itself. I think I can relate with many people here on FSB and in general so I wanted to share some of those group style pictures that get us up and going at 5AM on a Saturday.

Anyway, here's a hint towards my next contribution to the F.O.T.M. competition. I wonder who can see whats weird here..

Loving the back stories on these awesome Broncos here!

Locked, Geared, SAS and ready to play
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 12:57 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: '95, 351w, Hill Killer E4OD, SAS w/HD D44 & OX Locker, 8.8 w/Detroit, 4.56 gears and 35's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarr View Post
Always Dirty , That is awesome finding a gold nugget while prospecting. I go to Tombstone AZ every year with my parents and we hired a tour guide to take us "Prospecting" it was a lot of fun but no way he was taking us anywhere we would really find something.
Thanks jcarr! Hope you find some yellow next time your out there. Great work your doing on your resto too!

A buddy and I went out prospecting a couple weeks ago.
Here is a picture of an old stamp mill foundation we found, these walls were built pre 1910.

This is the Verde Valley just above Camp Verde.

post #23 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 07:15 PM
Fullsize Member

Okay its day 8 and the stories keep coming!

So on the last post I left an image of something weird and if you guessed its was a factory Ford 351W lower intake ported to match a 302 upper intake you are correct! With previously owned Fox Bodies I spent a ton of cash on goody parts like AFR or Dart to dramatically increase power in the high rpms, thats not the case with this rig but I did wanted extra grunt. So after a couple years of abusing the FACTORY 302 @190K it became pretty weak but still reliable, I decided to start building something while the 302 was still reliable enough to keep me mobile. I started by collecting parts for a 393, I had the rods, crank and bearings given to me from one of my brothers given up projects then started looking for a 351w roller block. I searched for about 8 months before I tripped on a Craigslist add for a roller 351w, I called and talked with guy for some time about the block and other projects we both had going on. Now, to build the 393 I was going for I was looking at some money going out for bigger heads, good pistons and so on... I ended up making a sweet deal with the guy, I gave him my stroker parts and 200 bucks for a recently rebuild E4OD and a completely disassembled roller 351w.

When I got everything home and started to check the block I found no ridges at the top of the bores and mic'ed the entire bores bottom to top then the pistons, clearances are within spec on all 8 cylinders (GREAT!!) I took the block in to be cleaned and the deck checked for warping, polished the crank and cleaned up the rods and pistons. This was going back together!

Being the bottom end was stock I had a factory reference for compression ratio and worked backwards from it. For the heads I picked up a set of GT40s for 200 bucks and went to town on them, I had more time then money to put towards it at that point so I polished the chambers, ported the heads all the way through to match a Felpro 1250 intake manifold gasket and opened up the bowls to help the increase of air flow. I also gave the exhaust side plenty of love. Here is a reference of the stock GT40 vs ported

Polished chambers

After a couple months and countless hours of port work I measured the combustion chamber in CC's and started to figure out how much I wanted to deck the heads for the compression bump. I ended up taking off 0.035" to come up with the compression numbers I wanted, I had them go ahead and do a valve job as well as new springs while they had the heads.

I went with a comp cam grind#XE258HR-14 since I didn't plan on doing any tuning to the computer and the mass air would do the work for me.

For the intake I had previously used the Holley Systemax on a 347 I once built and remembered buying the plenum gaskets from a simple parts store from a 302 truck motor. The factory 351W intake was designed with purpose but was not going to hold up to my plans. So knowing the factory truck/ Bronco 302 intake runners are better than 351 I decided to try and match up the factory lower intake to a 302 upper intake and it WORKS WELL! Now the ports are all lined up and ready for assembly.

All put together and dressed in black its time to swap!

Next to come Ill see about adding videos to the thread of the new setup all done. I still have less than a 1000 miles on this build.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 08:57 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: '95, 351w, Hill Killer E4OD, SAS w/HD D44 & OX Locker, 8.8 w/Detroit, 4.56 gears and 35's.
The Good the Bad and The Ugly

It’s amazing sometimes how much stuff can happen in just one weekend. A couple years ago I took the family in the Bronco to Tucson about a 3.5-4 hour drive south on I-17. We were on a mission to help my Dad who lives in Tucson to get his ’82 Ford Conversion 4x4 van road worthy again (The Good). In a whole ‘nother story he had destroyed the transfer case, smashed up some under carriage stuff and also needed several electrical gremlins sorted out. In a short weekend I got a t-case installed I pulled from the JY, KC lights rewired front and back, fixed wiring shorts behind the dash board and repaired the sliding door on his van.

The Bronco did great the entire trip down in the hot weather, until we were about a mile from my Dad’s place, we were going up an incline at low speed when we felt a shudder (The Bad). My wife looked at me and said “what was that?”, deep down I knew it was bad and most likely the torque converter. I told her “probably nothin’ just the hot weather making things groan”. We got to his house and carried on for the weekend, after cooling down and going out on errands over the next two days we never got the shutter again in the Bronco.

After getting my Dads van all fixed up we packed it up and headed back, it was a hot drive home but the Bronco did great, until….. The shutter returned? Nope! My rear driver tire tread ripped off going 75 mph!! Holy s%*t! We fish tailed around some and the sound of the tire slapping was super loud! Luckily it did not blowout and we made it off the side of the road safely and I was able to get the spare on and we made it home. The damage was significant and left the carnage you see today on my rear driver quarter panel (The Ugly).

But it still didn’t go quite that easy, on the trip home we got the shudder, again, several times. In denial of it being the torque converter I spent the next couple months trouble shooting everything that could be making the shudder and kept coming to a dead end, the shudder continued to get worse as I drove it around during this time.

Finally one day the torque converter completely locked up and I couldn’t drive anymore , when I drained the trans fluid it was full of metal dust and I knew an entire trans rebuild was in order. Just one more thing keeping me from my SAS . What I think happened was the trans just got completely overheated driving to Tucson, I had no temp gauge to know what it was operating at and the PO used the stock trans cooling system for the rebuilt transmission (nothing wrong with that, but who knows if it was flushed correctly), I also found out shortly after buying the truck that the PO had never changed the trans oil in 60k after the rebuild, so I did a complete flush which may have also been an issue.

To make matters even worse, during this same time frame I was slowly loosing oil pressure at idle and by the time the torque converter gave out I was under 5 psi at idle warmed up. So I pulled the motor and trans, I took my E4OD trans down to Hill Killer Transmissions in Phoenix for a complete overkill level 10 rebuild. I will share that and the other upgrades I made at the same time another day this week.

As far as the engine and low oil pressure, it was my mains, I found the pickup tube clogged with form-a-gasket material and that starved the bearings. So I sourced a reground/balanced crankshaft, mains and connecting rod bearings. While my trans was being rebuilt I got the bottom end of my motor rebuilt in my garage, another first for me. Since I have brand new heads and my compression is excellent I did it without pulling the heads and pistons out, it was tricky and took help from a friend to guide the connecting rods as we set the crankshaft in place. At the same time I put in a new oil pan and oil pump and dizzy pump drive shaft. Yet another obstacle and test of my patience out of the way and a step closer to reliability!

I couldnt find my pictures of the bottom end rebuild but here is the Tucson trip pics. trans swap info to come.

This is at my old mans place just outside of Tucson.

The carnage from my Baja Claw loosing its tread. Tail light broken, gas filler tube smashed and my quarter panel now looks like a rolled taco.

post #25 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 11:05 PM

OK, time for '79 Bronco 2.0...

My last post left a bitter taste, it brought up the disappointment(and wasted money) I had into the first attempt at my build and it was time to start doing my homework on functionality. My schooling began at the 2nd annual Bronco Takeover hosted in Silver Lake, MI when i had the opportunity to meet the one and only James Duff. Fact is, I really didn't even realize who I was speaking with at first, I was fairly new to the Bronco scene and was admiring his Pony Express when he began a conversation with me about his build. After being amazed by what he had created and browsing his display booth, I realized that the first step had to be a set of Duff Tuff long radius arms.

Fall soon came and the Bronco was parked in the corner of the pole barn as i began ordering parts. First thing to come in was the Duff arms and lower coil buckets, and i have to say they are some quality pieces. Next I researched springs and decided that the Deaver H58 "Superflex" 7" coils from JBG were the best fit for my set up, so I had a set delivered.

At this point, the snow was starting to fly and it was time to tear into the front suspension. Luckily i fix cars for a living, so my garage is fully equipped with a 2-post lift, and plenty of shop equipment. The Duff arms were a pretty straight forward install, everything went smoothly and it was finished in a weekend.

After getting everything installed I made the realization that i had overlooked one of the most important pieces... shocks. At this point i was running with an open check book, no expense was to be spared on this build, so there was only one answer... KING. I checked in some forums looking for recomendations on what to use, consulted with some guys out West that run the bigger dunes in the desert and ended up getting in touch with Ben Brazda at Filthy Motorsports. Talk about knowledge base, this guy was the King of KINGs, he went over my build with me and set me up with a set of custom valved 2.5" reservoir shocks.

Shocks in hand, now i had to fabricate mounts, this presented a challenge because the 2" Fenderwell exit headers were very much in the way. I first tried to modify some later model shock mounts off of an F-350, but i wasnt happy with the them. In the end i decided to fabricate a set of hoops, this would allow me to position the chock away from the header and raise my mounting point up considerably higher. So, off to harbor freight i went to buy a cheap pipe bender, then with som 1" 1/4 wall DOM tube and some 1/4" plate, my hoops were exactly what I needed.

Well, its late and i'm tired, so i'm gonna leave you here, I'm thinking my next post will cover trac control and tire selection, so stay tuned FSB.
post #26 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 09:02 PM
-----------------

Bronco Info: '96 XL
Now There's a "Herd o' Bronco's"

If you could only get them to MOAB next spring,,,,,,,,,,, HEAVEN....
(See My Sig Line)

End Hijack.

Later,
Dragon
(Brazen Invasion hussy)

Do You want to Participate in the 2019 Moab "Full Size Bronco Invasion" ??? Looky Here, https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...on-2019-a.html

Here is the "Planning & Info Only Link", https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...info-only.html
post #27 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 11:42 PM
Fullsize Member

Nice plug Dragon

Now its tech time!

Last post I told my story of the transmission failure, so here's my install after having it rebuilt by Hill Killer Transmissions down in Mesa, AZ. The previous owner already had this E4OD rebuilt by Hill Killer about 5 or 6 years before I had the torque converter burn up. I believe this failure to be from a complete lack of maintenance from the PO for 60k miles and me unknowingly overheating it for an extended amount of time. So, because of the prior rebuild it already had an extra deep oil pan and some of the internals upgraded that could be reused which saved me about $1200. I told the Hill Killer lead shop guy to set this thing up for rock crawling and build it as strong as possible and since the last rebuild there was some new upgrades they had come up with that they did as well. I don't have a list in front of me of all the upgrades but the main points are HK clutches, triple disc billet torque converter, shift kit, improved valve body, billet cryo treated planetary gear set and other billet cryo treated internal parts as well as what ever else is possible to make these transmissions stronger and more reliable. It was the "Extreme" build customized for my application and here's a link to their website in case anyone is interested.Ford | Hill Killer Transmissions.

Once again I wasn't able to find a picture. I have one somewhere of my trans right after the rebuild all new and pretty sitting on my garage floor. Alternatively, here's a couple of it as it sits today.

After dropping a ton of money on the rebuild there was no way I was going to connect it to the stock cooling system and trust that I would be able to flush all the contaminants out of the radiator cooler. So I spent some more money on a Summit 10.5"x21"x1.5" stand alone trans cooler, a Perma-Cool 1060 oil thermostat, a temp gauge to mount in my pillar gauge cluster and I also upgraded the cooler lines to 3/8" along with a 3/8" Magnefine inline oil filter. When I installed the 3/8" cooler lines this also included removing the transmission case cooler line adapter fittings and installing 3/8" adapters to have a true 3/8" cooler line. This deletes the factory check valve so I also installed an inline 3/8" check valve and even heat wrapped my exhaust where it runs close to the transmission (more for piece of mind on that one).

The first order of business for the cooler install was how to mount it. I fabbed up some brackets to mount to the radiator core support.

Next I used some rubber spacers and bolted them to the core support.

Hers two of the four mounts.

Trans cooler and steering cooler installed.

For the t-stat I lowered the charcoal box location and fabbed a bracket to mount the t-stat, the inline filter is under the air pump and I also used barbed hose fitting adapters.

So thats it for tonight, stay tuned for more upgrades, stories, video's and flexy suspension shots!

Like this one, another from my first flex test right after my SAS a couple months ago.
post #28 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 11:52 PM
Fullsize Member

Story time again. I couldn’t go without telling this one.

A couple years ago before I had all the transmission issues, I was getting prepared to do my SAS. Part of that preparation was building a new transmission support cross member. It was spring time and I was out kinda late around 9:30 pm in the garage with the overhead door open and it was pitch black night outside. I had just finished laying down a weld on the crossmember when I hear from the street “Hey! Dude! Hey!”, I open my welding helmet and look up to see some guy walking down my driveway towards me all worked up looking. As he is approaching me he yells “ What? Dude!? What the f### are you doing?”, I had no idea what the heck was with this guy and what his intentions were so I quickly stood up with my welding hammer in hand ready to melee him across the head with it. That didn’t concern him at all and he continued quickly walking up to me, he says loudly “Whoa! Are you f####n welding! Are you f####n working with metal?!”, "Holy s**t dude!” “That’s some f####n man s**t!” "Oh my god!" “That is man s**t!!!”.

I quickly realized he did not have bad intentions and was genuinely astonished (and very energetic about it) that I was doing all this metal fab in my garage by myself. He just couldn’t believe I was welding and acted like it was some kind of miracle I could do this. He went on about how “manly” it was and that I was crazy to be able to do this stuff. I was laughing to myself and started entertaining him some by showing him what I was doing and explaining about getting ready to swap out all of my suspension to a custom setup. He was amazed and said several more times “This is some man s**t dude!!”, "Serious man s##!"
After a little while he went on his way all pumped up about doing things and probably went home and tried to fix some stuff around the house to show his wife what he could do. It was really funny and my wife and I still joke about it to this day and say “That’s some man s**t!” to each other.

Here is a pic of the crossmember I built that day that is so manly!!! I better add a description in the manliest voice I can muster up, "This crossmember is made of .25"x2"x2" tubing attached to .25" plate steel, reinforced with 1/2" plate steel across the top tied to .25"x1.5"x1.5" steel tube then bolted to the upper and lower portion of the frame with grade 8 hardware." Some man s##t right there!
post #29 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 08:09 PM
Fullsize Member

Hey FSB!

Here's a couple little videos with the new 351W all done. I had bugs to work out to clear the couple engine codes but all in all not too big of a headache for the 302<351 swap. Ive still got a couple things to do under the hood but for nothing to hold it back from the trails. It's certainly not a power house race truck but for what I do with it I cant complain, Im sure there will be some new weak points with the power change.

The new setup starts up with ease, I believe the compression bump helped.

Its still at 11 degrees of timing but I like it here since the power seems to be great on the low end and hits the factory shift points well. Just passed Phoenix emissions testing too!

Tomorrow Ill add a couple videos of the Bronco playing in the rocks!!

post #30 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 02:55 PM
Fullsize Member

Happy Saturday FSB!

Today Ill share a couple videos of a trail called Terminator @ Table Mesa in the North Phoenix area. These where taken a little over a year ago so some of the recent upgrades aren't in it at this point but wow this was a good day out in the desert!

I had started building my rear bumper around this time so the lower rear quarters are cut out and rear bumper removed, I rocked it like this for some time since the bumper took such a long time to finish but this a story for a later date. Enjoy

This is around the beginning of the trail coming in from the south side:

Here are some of the boulders we get to play on here in the area:

Next week Ill start the rear bumper stories and pictures!

post #31 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 07:11 PM
Fullsize Member

Hello again everyone!
Since the beginning of the month I have been trying to get out and shoot some video of my Bronco in action, but a lack of either time or camera person hasn't allowed for it, until today. I loaded up the family and we went out for a little while this morning to try and get the suspension crossed up.
I've got 250 miles on my SAS and new rear suspension so I am still breaking things in and learning what its capable of, today was a fun test and everything went well. Around 500 miles on this new setup and I'll change the gear oil, install my new SOLID diff cover for the rear diff and go through checking torque on all hardware. I've already re-torqued the rear leaf u-bolts once, everything else has been staying snug for now.

Heres a few short videos from today. I cant wait to get out on some real trails this winter here in AZ, it was pretty toasty warm today.

post #32 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 09:56 PM
Fullsize Member

Okay FSB looks like we are over halfway through the month!

For This week Im going to touch base on the rear side of the Bronco, when I originally did the SAS I noticed first time out that the rear bumper was tagging a ton of obstacles. I cant put a number on how many hits it took in the first year alone so once the winch was put in I put the front bumper build on the back burner till the rear was done and it took a long time... Well.., a big part of this Broncos story is missing here, about a year and a half ago I had a family member down on luck and out a vehicle with a wife and 2 kids. Being this is my toy and a 3rd vehicle I loaned it to them to get by till something new came along, it took 10 months for them to find a new daily and my baby was used as the daily for that entire time I had started the bumper just a couple months prior to lending out the Bronco but hadn't finished it till about last month.

To start off the base is 2"x5" 3/16 wall square tube, it now wraps the full rear from one rear tire to the other.

Then the tire swing, I ordered a kit off Amazon that included the spindle, bearings and tired plate.

The rest is simple and triangular 2"x2" 3/16 square, I wanted it slightly lower and the tire at an angle to help get it up and down.

And thats all for tonight! Ill keep it going soon

post #33 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 11:44 PM
Fullsize Member

Before I got started on my SAS I did an upgrade to my rear suspension. It was a good warm up for all the work and fabrication I was going to need to do for the SAS and since I went with adjustable coil buckets for the front it would be easier to match heights doing the front after the back was set.

To kick things off with the back end I installed a pair of Deaver J40 leaf springs with Camburg extended shackles to get the most flex out of the springs as possible. Not only did I want flexy suspension but I wanted a good ride as well, which was seriously lacking before this work was done. So I also installed a set of 12” travel Bilstein 7100 shocks valved at 360/80. To fit the shocks in place I had to remove the factory shock mounts upper and lower and also deleted the swaybar. I fabbed up a new crossmember for the upper shock mounts and used 3/8” tabs for the lower mounts, new grade 8 hardware on everything.
To finish things out I also installed Ballistic HD leaf perches, 1" zero rate blocks bolted to the leaf pack, Barnes HD u-bolts and leaf plates, stainless braided brake line drop, rebuilt the 8.8 axle and installed a 1350 driveshaft. I built the 8.8 with a Detroit locker, Nitro 4.56 gears, all new Koyo bearings, new seals, and wheel bearings. This was my first gear setup and everything went pretty darn good!

Rear axle removed.

J40 leafs in and lining up the new perches

Camburg shackle.

Heavy Duty leaf plates and ubolts.

Fabbing my upper shock mount to accept the longer shock bodys. Measure twice and cut once!

This is a 1350 front shaft from a '08 Superduty I bought off CL for $50. Then I had it shortened and a 1350 flange installed for $80 to make it work as my rear driveshaft.

So far I have been very pleased with the rear suspension. The ride is a world of difference from prior and the shock valving is making up for not having a sway bar, I don't get much body roll cornering.

I'll have to call it a night at that, "SAS my way" coming soon!
post #34 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
F.O.T.Y. 2017

Bronco Info: 78 W/400
Garage
Well we are more that 1/2 way through the month and we surely have some pretty cool rigs running this month and I personally think any one of the runners this month could win !!!!

Start turning up the heat guys and show the members your really want it !!!!

@_CJ and @jcarr We surely need to see more !!!!

@[email protected] Started off great ... but we need more!!!

pretty much all the members here are die hard BKO guys and we are all addicted to BKO Porn ... so lets see some lol
post #35 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 08:40 PM

OK, i'm still here, been super busy and just forgot... you ever forget?... happened to me.

Now that the Bronco's suspension was starting to come together, i started searching for a different tire. Basically, i needed something with a large footprint for the sand that i could get in a radial, turns out, it's slim pickings for a 15" wheel these days. Ideally I would've preferred an all-terrain style tread, but I settled on the Nitto Mud Grappler in a 38 x 15.50. I gotta say, i was really impressed at the improved handling of the radials, they made a huge difference on the street, but the real test would be in the sand.

So another summer season rolled around and it was time to test out my upgrades. First test was tires, my fear was that they would dig too much and I would be burying the truck constantly, turns out they work well with the 600+ hp pushing them, they tend to throw sand more like a paddle tire. Second test would be suspension, this was a fun one, not only did it greatly improve ride quality, but it performed to my expectations... and scared the crap out of the wife.

This kind of landing did show that there was some room for improvement, I needed bump stops, so again, I called up Filthy Motorsports and ordered a set of King 2" hydro bumps and fabbed some mounts so that they would bolt up where the original shock mounts were on the frame. It also appearant that I needed limit straps to avoid over extending my shocks, for that I went to Bigshocks.com.

This was a fun summer, the Bronco made its debut in a 4th of July parade for my wife's real estate gig, man did the kids have a great time.

Had another great time at the 3rd annual Bronco Takeover that August.

And even had a chance to show it off at a local car show, people loved it!

So as another summer of testing came to a close, I focused on another winter of modifications. This time I was going to tackle rear suspension,axles, and traction control(that one gets interesting)... but we'll go over that in the next post.
post #36 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 05:50 PM
Fullsize Member

Hey FSB!, Here is the rest of the heavy bumper post.

Lets put it on!

Now that the bumper is all squared up and the base of the swing is working the next step is functionality and bracing. I added a latch and 2 spring loaded pins to help keep this heavy swing from taking something or somebody out, in addition a Hilift jack, 2x D-rings, and a Jerry can. All of the "goodies" are locked up to avoid theft.

The bumper mounts via 1/4" plate stock 5" tall welded top to bottom, each plat has 2 gussets for extra strength and in addition 2x 2"x2" 3/16" square tube with flanges are in between the bumper at the lower quarter panel and the frame. BEEFY

Latch Setup

Swing Stop

Extra BEEF

Overall I love this bumper, it came out great and strong. The downside is weight but Ive been wanting to dial back on going too crazy out on the trails anyway.... Ha yea right!

post #37 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 09:33 AM
Fullsize Member

Alright alright alright TGIF FSB!

Here's a just for fun post to kick off the weekend!

The morning stretch,

and a little hill climb to get the blood flowing.

and don't forget to love your pups

Happy Friday!!

post #38 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 01:58 PM
Fullsize Member

Hello again Broncoholics! Its high time I go over my largest improvement to my Bronco yet, the SAS.

In my last post I mentioned “SAS my way”, the reason I say this is I had been studying and preparing to do one for a very long time before actually taking the plunge. What I took from all of this info over the years I applied in my own way to my SAS and did some things a little bit different than the average BKO SAS. I couldn’t afford to go crazy with coilovers and all the high end stuff so I did the best I could with the budget I had available and tried to build something strong and dependable the first time around.

Instead of doing my SAS at a minimum and adding on upgrades later I really wanted to just get everything installed at once, but couldn’t afford to buy all that stuff in one spending spree. So I literally took several years patiently buying parts and stalking Craigslist everyday to scoop up goodies that occasionally popped up, like my Cage radius arms for less than half of retail, same thing with my front gears, both lockers and tires. Time savings was another factor in the equation so I spent a little bit more for prefabbed brackets instead of making my own. I gathered an extensive amount of parts in preparation to get things done without any hiccups and wasted time. It all went very smooth and so far I couldn’t be happier with my setup.

I’m sure many of you can relate, its hard to get work done on your BKO when you work 50 hours a week, have a family and other responsibilities. My complete front and rear suspension upgrade turned out to be one of the most challenging tasks I have ever accomplished. Not only because of the technical and physically challenging part of it all, but also juggling life while trying to work in the garage whenever possible. It took me from the end of January ’18 to the end of July ’18 to get everything done all by myself in my garage working off the floor. Fortunately I have an awesome wife who was very supportive knowing how long I had been wanting to do this and helped me get as much time in as possible, I would stay up sometimes until midnight on work nights and spend the weekends in the garage. It kicked my butt and I am taking the next six months off to recover, lol! I specifically remember falling asleep late one night on the concrete under my Bronco while bolting in my frame side radius arm brackets, I woke up to the sound of a wrench bouncing on the floor that had just slid off my chest, doh! I better take a couple days off… I thought to myself.

During the build I also tried to take my time and make sure to get things right, I would also say that doing an SAS thread here helped with that. I had to make sure my work was on par if I am going to show it off, and follow through with fit, finish and function. If anyone hasn’t seen my thread yet and would like all the details here’s a link to it. https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...sion-swap.html

Now on to my SAS highlights.

First thing after tearing out the TTB was to fill in some of the frame holes for my weld on coil towers and upper trac-bar link.

Then I modified the engine x-member to make room for the HD D44 diff housing and trac-bar while retaining the strength of the x-member, I wanted as much "up travel" as possible until bottom out.

Next I made and installed brackets for the upper rad arm mounts.

Trac-bar and steering. Here's some specs:
Trac-bar= 1.75"x.375" DOM tubing threaded with 1.25" Heims
Steering= 1.5"x.375" DOM tubing threaded with GM 1 ton TRE's.
Superduty pitman arm as well.

Here's the upper trac-bar mount

Lower mount

Trac-bar and steering in.

Adjustable weld on coil towers and shock towers. 14" travel Bilstein 7100 shocks valved at 420/100.

Here I welded the lower shock tabs to the inside of the Cage arms instead of the outside because of clearance issues during mockup while I had the tires turned all the way.

I devised my own bump stops on the cheap. These are Chevy 2500 truck bumpstops and 2x2 square tubing welded to the upper and lower portion of the frame for strength on big hits.

On the passenger side I used another piece of the 2x2 tubing for the bumpstop pad on the axle, the driver side uses the flat factory leaf spring mount. I also welded on the "C" wedges for the radius arms.

Front axle setup, parts included:
-Ox Locker
-Precision 4.56 gears
-All new Timken bearings and seals

Ox locker shifter installed

Coils installed, almost there!

Getting everything painted, gotta look good for FSB!

I only have one floor jack, I really should have invested in a second before taking on this project. But I like challenges!

This was a proud moment, right after I set it on all fours for the first time. So tired I could barely keep my eyes open,lol.

Washing off all the metal dust from grinding, my girls are always willing to help out on the Bronco.

This was the first drive with all new suspension still on 33's. Right after this picture a neighbor down the street came running out of his house as we were about to drive off and congratulated me for getting my truck done. He looked it over and was amazed and happy to see it finished after driving by my house for half a year watching me slave away on it. That was pretty cool!

Thats going to do it for today,thanks for following along!
post #39 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 03:55 PM

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
Garage
⅄o' I ɾnsʇ ʌoʇǝp ɟoɹ ʇʎʞuoɯxz!🚮

See my partially recovered Bronco web site. Thanks to Mr. Schwim!
Navy & DoD (retired) ... THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
Please VOTE in our Full-Size of the Month (F.O.T.M.) & Full-Size of the Year (F.O.T.Y.) Contests @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/27-f-o-t-m-voting/
post #40 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 11:13 PM

Bronco Info: 1978 2 tone blue Custom
Hello Bronco land

I have not forgot about FSB, I had a target date of today to drive this bronco to the All Iowa Jeep and 4x4 show and obstacle course. The last 2 weeks have been very late nights in the shop and we ran into so many weird issue's like my wheels had too small of a center bore so the wheels had to be dismounted and sent to a machine shop to enlarge the center bore by .050 so I was not able to get my exhaust put on this week but we almost made our goal by getting the Fuel injection, and ignition installed, Starting it for the first time and trailering the Bronco to the show. I have been taking pictures through the process and I will get caught up this week with the progress. Here is a picture that was taken today at the show.
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_6807.PNG (993.1 KB, 10 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Ford Bronco Forum > Welcome > F.O.T.M Voting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode