Hello again Broncoholics! Its high time I go over my largest improvement to my Bronco yet, the SAS.
In my last post I mentioned “SAS my way”, the reason I say this is I had been studying and preparing to do one for a very long time before actually taking the plunge. What I took from all of this info over the years I applied in my own way to my SAS and did some things a little bit different than the average BKO SAS. I couldn’t afford to go crazy with coilovers and all the high end stuff so I did the best I could with the budget I had available and tried to build something strong and dependable the first time around.
Instead of doing my SAS at a minimum and adding on upgrades later I really wanted to just get everything installed at once, but couldn’t afford to buy all that stuff in one spending spree. So I literally took several years patiently buying parts and stalking Craigslist everyday to scoop up goodies that occasionally popped up, like my Cage radius arms for less than half of retail, same thing with my front gears, both lockers and tires. Time savings was another factor in the equation so I spent a little bit more for prefabbed brackets instead of making my own. I gathered an extensive amount of parts in preparation to get things done without any hiccups and wasted time. It all went very smooth and so far I couldn’t be happier with my setup.
I’m sure many of you can relate, its hard to get work done on your BKO when you work 50 hours a week, have a family and other responsibilities. My complete front and rear suspension upgrade turned out to be one of the most challenging tasks I have ever accomplished. Not only because of the technical and physically challenging part of it all, but also juggling life while trying to work in the garage whenever possible. It took me from the end of January ’18 to the end of July ’18 to get everything done all by myself in my garage working off the floor. Fortunately I have an awesome wife who was very supportive knowing how long I had been wanting to do this and helped me get as much time in as possible, I would stay up sometimes until midnight on work nights and spend the weekends in the garage. It kicked my butt and I am taking the next six months off to recover, lol! I specifically remember falling asleep late one night on the concrete under my Bronco while bolting in my frame side radius arm brackets, I woke up to the sound of a wrench bouncing on the floor that had just slid off my chest, doh! I better take a couple days off… I thought to myself.
During the build I also tried to take my time and make sure to get things right, I would also say that doing an SAS thread here helped with that. I had to make sure my work was on par if I am going to show it off, and follow through with fit, finish and function. If anyone hasn’t seen my thread yet and would like all the details here’s a link to it. https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...sion-swap.html
Now on to my SAS highlights.
First thing after tearing out the TTB was to fill in some of the frame holes for my weld on coil towers and upper trac-bar link.
Then I modified the engine x-member to make room for the HD D44 diff housing and trac-bar while retaining the strength of the x-member, I wanted as much "up travel" as possible until bottom out.
Next I made and installed brackets for the upper rad arm mounts.
Trac-bar and steering. Here's some specs:
Trac-bar= 1.75"x.375" DOM tubing threaded with 1.25" Heims
Steering= 1.5"x.375" DOM tubing threaded with GM 1 ton TRE's.
Superduty pitman arm as well.
Here's the upper trac-bar mount
Trac-bar and steering in.
Adjustable weld on coil towers and shock towers. 14" travel Bilstein 7100 shocks valved at 420/100.
Here I welded the lower shock tabs to the inside of the Cage arms instead of the outside because of clearance issues during mockup while I had the tires turned all the way.
I devised my own bump stops on the cheap. These are Chevy 2500 truck bumpstops and 2x2 square tubing welded to the upper and lower portion of the frame for strength on big hits.
On the passenger side I used another piece of the 2x2 tubing for the bumpstop pad on the axle, the driver side uses the flat factory leaf spring mount. I also welded on the "C" wedges for the radius arms.
Front axle setup, parts included:
-Precision 4.56 gears
-All new Timken bearings and seals
Ox locker shifter installed
Coils installed, almost there!
Getting everything painted, gotta look good for FSB!
I only have one floor jack, I really should have invested in a second before taking on this project. But I like challenges!
This was a proud moment, right after I set it on all fours for the first time. So tired I could barely keep my eyes open,lol.
Washing off all the metal dust from grinding, my girls are always willing to help out on the Bronco.
This was the first drive with all new suspension still on 33's. Right after this picture a neighbor down the street came running out of his house as we were about to drive off and congratulated me for getting my truck done. He looked it over and was amazed and happy to see it finished after driving by my house for half a year watching me slave away on it. That was pretty cool!
Thats going to do it for today,thanks for following along!