September 2018 F.O.T.M. VOTE HERE !!!!! - Ford Bronco Forum
View Poll Results: Who will be your September 2018 F.O.T.M. ???
_CJ 1 2.56%
Alwaysdirty 7 17.95%
jcarr 3 7.69%
95 Bronco Wyatt 20 51.28%
[email protected] 8 20.51%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

442Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
F.O.T.Y. 2017

Bronco Info: 78 W/400
Garage
September 2018 F.O.T.M. VOTE HERE !!!!!

OK Let's get this party Started!!!!!!

Here are your contestants for September 2018 FULLSIZE OF THE MONTH!!!!!

1) @_CJ

2) @Alwaysdirty

3) @jcarr

4) @95 Bronco Wyatt

5) @[email protected]

Show us what you've got and make us proud!!!

Want to chat with one of the contestants on an upgrade or anything ? Post up here: Chat with the contestants . This is going to be a GOOD ONE !!!!! Let the games... begin!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 11:46 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: SAS Grizzly Locked Front and Rear
95 Bronco Wyatt

Hello all!

I would like to say thanks @Quader1 for nominating me first, I haven’t spent a lot of time on the forum but have followed the last couple of F.O.T.M. pages since some fellow wheelers where in them. It looked like fun and hey I love grilling (literally)

So some history about myself and how I became a FSB lover, all growing up Ive been around the automotive hobby. My father, brothers and myself are to this day are blessed and cursed with the addiction, we had a vast amount of cars/ trucks come and go as well as race cars we built as a family and sold to start other project cars. I looked forward to weekends in the 90’s to spend time with the old man and brothers, we would hook up the trailer and just drive to hunt for (at the time primarily Mopars), we would find stuff for 400-500 bucks take it home clean it up and sell it to fund the main race cars. Now, obviously those days are gone but that was one of the roots of my life.. As I got older I started to grow an interest in fox body Mustangs since they where affordable and I found out I couldn’t blow my whole pay check on cars, I built a couple really fun cars and Fords grew on me quickly!

I sold my last fox body for a good chunk and allowed myself $3500 to find the next hobby, I wanted to start wheeling again so I pondered… I had XJ’s in the past and loved the coil style front suspension but they just didn’t have the room for the whole family, so after some thought I made a list of things to look for mechanically.

-Large enough for the family
-Short Wheelbase
-1995 last year OBD1
-Fuel injection, Mass air computer system to work well with upgrades (inevitable)
-Possible back up vehicle
-Coil style front suspension
-Overdrive
-No power windows/ doors
-V8

AND BOOM THERE IT IS, a FSB!

I bought this rig February 15 of 2015 rock stock from a nice older gentleman who happened to own a couple Broncos, I loved this thing the way it was from the factory! Now… of coarse the the wheel was turning even before I bought as to what I was going to do with it as far as extremes, come July of 2015 I was driving it down the highway and had a blowout and thought (I’m not buying 31” replacement tires for this) knowing by now a SAS and plethora of other plans where already in place and a HP D44 was already in the garage.. SO I put the spare on and parked it in the garage for about 5 months, the next time it moved out of the garage it was a BEAST! In that period It received a lot of love.. I spent good money where I felt it was needed and sourced as many used parts as I could to cut costs.

-Dana 44HP 78’
-James Duff radius arms
-New upper coil buckets
-New coils
-Shocks
-4:56 gears front/rear
-Yukon Grizzly full carrier lockers
-35” MTR’s
-DOM 3/4 ton steering links
-Ruff Stuff diff covers

The rig went from capable to pretty much have the ability to go anywhere it can fit.

As I was enjoying its capabilities out on the trail I found that rock slides needed done ASAP, majority of the environment where we wheel here in AZ is rocks and I had already hit a rocker panel.

Next my wife starts gifting parts for birthdays anniversaries and so on, she picked up a 12K Driven winch and a Assault light bar. So I start on the bracing for winch, I wanted to hide away the unit so for now Ive used the factory bumper.

After the first year of abuse, I was finding weak points and upgrading slowly. So the front and rear axle shafts went to chromoly and an anti-wrap bar was added.

The story doesn't stop here, the month is early. Hope you all enjoyed this first post there is much more to come!

Last edited by 95 Bronco Wyatt; 09-01-2018 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Photos
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 12:16 PM
JGR
Full Of Rowdy Drunks

Bronco Info: 1986 SAS'd, 37s, otherwise stock
Been gone for a couple weeks what a great day to get back on! Some sweet looking broncos this month...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 12:22 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: '95, 351w, Hill Killer E4OD, SAS w/HD D44 & OX Locker, 8.8 w/Detroit, 4.56 gears and 35's.
Good morning Bronco maniacs! Looks like this is going to be one heck of a competition this month, seeing these other rigs I am up against is going to have to make me pull out all the stops to have a chance at this one. I'll be hitting you guys hopefully daily with Bronco antics, Bronco repairs, Bronco upgrades and some Bronco involved stories. I havent been the best about recording my ownership with pictures and might not have as much content as past contestants but I will give this my best shot and try to make you all proud. Good luck to all and let the games begin!

I have been a fullsize bronco owner for a solid 5 years now and despite many trials and tribulations I have loved ever minute of it and have expanded my mechanical skills by leaps and bounds with some of the projects I decided to take on with this truck which I'll be sharing throughout the month. But first I would like to share how I even came to owning a Bronco when I had the chance to purchase just about any truck and convert it to a trail rig. I considered 70's & 80's Chevy trucks,Blazers and Ramchargers, 90's Chevy's to SAS, F-150's, Toy's and even looked at a couple Cherokees but the draw to a Bronco was strong and I have this website to thank for that, 100%.
I have always been into four wheeling ever since I was a kid and grew up in an area where trails were just around the corner from my house, many of you know of the Broken Arrow trail in Sedona, AZ, I grew up on Arrow drive just across the street. When I was 18 I bought my first 4wd truck with my own money and picked up an '85 Nissan, I threw some 31's on it and cranked the torsion bars up for some lift. I rampaged that truck all over Broken Arrow and the many trails of Sedona at the time. Unfortunately Sedona is no longer once what it was, like in the 80's/90's and pretty much all those other trails are now long gone and closed off except Broken Arrow which is now taken over by tour company's toting around travelers from across the globe.
Next I moved to CO when I was 20 years old to pursue a career as an electrician and while in CO that first year I blew up my Nissan's motor and sold off that truck, I then picked up a '92 Dodge Dakota with a Trailmaster lift and it wheeled surprisingly well, that was the year Y2K. Shortly after that I met my future wife and the camping/wheeling adventures really kicked off, we ran that Dakota all over CO and its trails but many times couldnt make it through the real rough stuff which left me wanting more out of my truck. It was about 2005 when I started to research doing an SAS on my Dakota, I only found a couple guys SASing Dakotas but one fateful day I stumbled across Fullsizebronco.com and a plethora of guys SASing their Broncos, I got so much info out of this site back then. The seed had been planted...
Over the next several years I began collecting parts to SAS my Dakota but life always seemed to get in the way and I was never able to make it happen, at that time I had purchased the HD Dana 44 from a 79' F-250 that is now the front axle in my Bronco, I dragged that axle around for over 10 years!
My wife and I moved back to AZ in 2012 and I was getting tired of the Dakota and began to wonder if I still wanted to put all this work into it or get something better for wheeling and more family friendly since we had a two year old daughter now and plans for another. Luckily at the time the money was there so I sold the Dakota and a hunt for a new rig began.
After reading dozens of Bronco SAS threads over the years I started to fall in love with the Bronco but still wasn't sure what I wanted until I looked at several other trucks and they just did not impress me like a fully built Bronco did and I knew I wanted one and I wanted to build it my way with all of the information I had compiled from this site. I spent six months weeding through Craigslist ads and going to look at Broncos to find the right base to do my build.
I eventually settled on my '95 Eddie with 260k on the chassis, no rust and 60k on a rebuilt 351w, rebuilt E4od and a 2" lift. It was very very clean inside and out and was owned by a father and son mechanic shop in Prescott, but...it turns out they were hacks, and I spent the next couple years repairing and correcting issue's to get a now very dependable offroad truck. I do have to give them some credit because they did install the Lawerence sliding windows in the shell which I absolutely love and the motor has what they called a "mild RV cam" and I can tell its in there. They had also done 4.10 gears in the back, but had not matched the front, the push button 4wd did not work and they tried to do some stuff like the six liter tune up and did reprogram the PSOM for slightly larger than stock tires. The rebuilt E4od was also done by Hillkiller in Mesa,AZ. But, due to poor care by the p.o. I would have some serious trouble with it a couple years after I bought it, but we'll get into that later.
So of course the first two things I did to my new to me truck was get a hold of a manual shift transfer case and shifter, I also got a third member already setup with factory 4.10's. The transfer case I found on ebay for $200 shipped, it was brand new, I even cracked it open to verify and it was flawless, but sadly, for the poor FedEx guy that delivered it, it was full of fluid that leaked all over his truck and other packages, he was pissed!!!
But it turns out I went to highschool with him and now he drools over my Bronco all SAS'd and he talks about getting one too. The transfer case shifter I scored from Driven 4x4 in Phoenix and the 4.10 third member I got off Craigslist from a small auto wrecker in Phoenix. I ran with this setup from summer 2013 to winter of 2017 and began my SAS in January 2018.
I had used my Bronco as a daily driver for a few years until I was able to get a little commuter truck and use the Bronco now as my weekend warrior rig for prospecting, I have been completely over taken by gold fever and here in AZ, wheeling and gold prospecting go hand in hand. I cant wait to share some stories!
Heres a couple pics of the first day I brought her home back in early 2013.

And here it is now!

So thats my introduction to the competition and I cant wait to share my Bronco with you all over the next several weeks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130319_180902.jpg (189.6 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg 20130328_175827.jpg (200.7 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3863.jpg (321.3 KB, 244 views)
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 01:38 PM

Bronco Info: 1978 2 tone blue Custom
Hello Bronco Fans

I apologize Im a day late getting started, I spent yesterday running brake and fuels lines on the Bronco and had family commitments later in the day. Thank you Erick (itwasFREE) for the nomination. My thread will be highlighting the restore process, engine build and finishing up my build Unfortunately I will not have any great wheeling pics to share but I planning on finishing the thread with the its first drive in over 15 years.

My journey with Broncos started in February 1980 when my dad purchased our 1978 Bronco Custom with 5800 miles on it. I was 5 at the time and I was in love with this truck. I would sit on my feet so I was tall enough to look out the window. My dad drove this truck of the next 15 years often wanting to sell it for a pick up since he was a drywaller and loading a compressor and tools was a pain but I insisted I wanted this to be my first vehicle.

When I was 15 I laid on the ground and painted the frame black and all the steering and suspension bars blue. Using the cheapest paint available since I had no cash but I wanted it to look good when I started driving it to school. I had so much fun in this Bronco, rolling to the beach with the top off, 15 inch Sub woofers (Since I had the only vehicle with room for Subs) I finally was able to save up enough for some 31X 10.50ís and chrome wagon wheels and was pretty sure I was the coolest kid around (as you can see how I dressed I was not)

Fast forward 6 years I had my first real job and promotion and I bought a brand new truck with intentions of taking care of the bronco but I failed the bronco.

I had many offers to buy it but I just could not get rid of the truck then in 2012 I decided to get after the restore but I was going to have to do it all the way, not back to stock but how I always wanted it but just didnít have the money. So the journey began.

At a high level we performed a frame off, blasted the frame, all new sheet metal except the hood, all new glass, mirrors, door handles, weather stripping, chrome moldings, Bumpers etc. I will have a thread on the engine as well.

By far the best part of this project is doing it with my Dad. He helps me every day on the truck, He has spent countless hours sandblasting, painting, cleaning the shop and doing all the Crappy Jobs (his words) I donít want to do. I would never have the truck or being doing this restore without him.

The other trucks in the competition are legit, this is going to be a fun month of FOTM and Im going to give you all the best show I can of this Bronco.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (81.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 2.JPG (52.7 KB, 6 views)
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 03:08 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: '95, 351w, Hill Killer E4OD, SAS w/HD D44 & OX Locker, 8.8 w/Detroit, 4.56 gears and 35's.
Day two of ownership was the first "wheeling" trip, we lived in Sedona at the time and had got a rare early spring snow fall the night before. It wasn't much but enough to make the red dirt slippery and we only had two wheel drive because of the missed matched gears, failed transfer case shift motor and the tires were for street cruisin' not offroading, so we took it easy.

We headed out Drycreek Rd. from West Sedona past the "Enchantment Resort".

This area is somewhere I ventured often growing up, there was quite a few trails to run and some portions of them were challenging and very fun. In highschool during the mid 90's we would party at the many different spots out Drycreek Rd. and sometimes have some ragers with bonfires and kegs. Cops wouldnt come out there because it was out of city limits and there wasn't Forest Service Officers in service yet, just the couple office guys, we loved it!
There was even a big closed off area with hillclimbs we would get into by pulling the blockade boulders out of the way with our trucks and tow straps, then proceed to reopen the hillclimbs and have a blast. Now'a'days in Sedona they would have your head for this! All those good trails have long since been closed and only the few main spots remain open for the hordes of tourists to visit.

This is near the Palatki indian ruins out Drycreek Rd. and about it for the first dirt trip.

And to keep things spicy, here is a pic of the first time I flexed it out after my complete suspension swap/upgrade this year, which we'll get into details about later this month.

post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 07:47 PM

I think a good way to get started is with a little shaming of myself for letting the Bronco get into this condition but its a good way to show you guys where I started. The Bronco sat in the back yard for years then beside the shop. First thing we did was bring it in to pull the motor and transmission out then start the long process of bringing the body back to life. Next I will get into what all went into the body and frame. I will try to not duplicate my build thread but some of the pictures will over lap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3 (1).jpg (487.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 3 (3).jpg (421.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 3 (2).JPG (68.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (38.7 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg 6.JPG (108.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 5.JPG (99.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 4.JPG (93.0 KB, 7 views)
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 09:25 PM
Fullsize Member

Day 2!

Today I would like to share some of the fun had in the Bronco while it was still stock, even though its not as capable as it is now the family and myself still had some great times getting out and enjoying the outdoors!

Bulldog Canyon AZ

Butcher Jones Coves AZ

Dogs are coming along

Someone shut the door with their rump Sycamore Creek AZ

These rigs are awesome no matter the extreme! Hope you enjoyed, Ill post more current stories and pictures as the month rolls on

But Ill seal this post with a teaser..

Locked, Geared, SAS and ready to play
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 09:00 PM

Good evening fellow Bronco enthusiasts and thank you @Ghosteh for your nomination. I am the 'noob' of the FSB and F.O.T.M. and I plan to fumble my way through this competition the best way I know how.

That said, I'll start with a little background... you see, I've always been a gearhead and a Ford fan, even though I was raised by a beer drinking, hell raising K5 owner(he literally had that painted on his tailgate, lol). Born and raised in Michigan, I've always had a love for off roading and anything with horsepower.

My addiction started with cars, in my teens, drag racing was my passion and I loved it. Later on I started hanging with some gearheads that were into trucks, i quickly took an interest after riding along for some backwoods wheeling. One Spring weekend I went with these guys to a truck show South of where we lived, and on the way we spotted it, a '79 F150 short box, 460, 10 inches of lift, and a "for sale" sign in the window, it became my first truck and started my addiction. A good year later, had a lot of fun with my first rig, but as a 19 year old, life was getting started and I needed something more practical so the truck was sold.

Jumping ahead to my 20's, I was settled into my career as an automotive tech, money was coming in, had a house, nice truck for my daily and a '79 3/4 ton standard cab that I built for the sand dunes on the West side of Michigan. This is when I met my beautiful wife, we got married shortly after and were expecting our first child, once again, life's journey led me to sell my toy. Now jump ahead to about 4.5 years ago, I now had 2 kids, plenty of cash saved and it was time to start the search for a new toy. To me, the most obvious choice was something the whole family could fit in and had all the capabilities of the old Ford trucks I had sold previously, it was time to buy a Bronco.

It was a long search that took about a year, my criteria was specific, had to be a clean, solid 78-79 with a big block and an Auto trans. I looked at numerous Broncos, but I'm picky, and living in Michigan its difficult to find one that age that hadn't had extensive rust repair(that was done correctly). The search ended with a simple Facebook post in a Bronco group that led me just an hour or so West to find a solid, original steel, Arizona truck that met my specs. The owner was on the fence with selling it and I had to pay his price, which was 1.5 times my original budget, but it was worth every penny.

Now that you have the back story my next post will start THE BUILD...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 11:57 PM
Fullsize Member

Within a few weeks of buying it I had my Bronco ready for its first real offroad trip. I had installed a used 4.10 D44 third member, manual transfer case and shifter, removed the hide-a-hitch and side steps. The first "modification" was made by means of 33" Baja Claws and black steel wheels. The wheels were another set of parts from my past Dakota project, as I planned on a Ford 9" and D44 front axle for that truck. I scored the wheels from a guy back in CO years early, new never used, $200 for the set. But don't worry, wheels & tires is just the beginning of the real upgrades and parts replacements over the last five years to create a dependable and capable trail truck, I'll start getting into some of that fun stuff later this week.
So for our second offroad trip out in the Bronco with the excitement of a new truck and big plans for it I wanted to see what she could do. Being we lived in Sedona the obvious trail choice for this voyage was Broken Arrow. So I loaded up my wife and daughter and got to it, I was over joyed with how my Bronco handled out there and loved the short wheelbase. I had never wheeled anything like it before, that trip erased any second thought about making the right choice for a truck to build and I got even more excited to work on it and build it.

Below is a couple pics from that trip to Broken Arrow. This trail was another favorite of mine growing up, before I could drive I would ride my bike back there and hike all over the place. When I got my first 4x4 truck I was there weekly. Those of you that have run this trail know of "The Staircase", we called it "Deadmans Hill" growing up, it used to be much more treacherous before the tour jeep companys filled in some of the larger steps with concrete and constant use has worn down other parts. I remember back in the early 90's, just after the Ford Explorer came out, a very drunk driver with a Jeep Cherokee full of people came bombing down Deadmans hill and rolled the Jeep at the bottom several times and seriously injured a few people not wearing seat belts. Rescue could not get to them because they had no capable vehicle, the Police Chief had to use his brand new Ford Explorer to get the injured people out to waiting ambulances. Shortly after that incident the Police and Fire Departments both had a few new Explorers, to bad the Police Chief didn't have a Bronco!

Couple shots of the ride.

Out playing around just past Merry-go-Round rock.

Watch where you step though, look close and you'll see a regular to this area that crossed the trail in front of us.
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 12:46 AM
Fullsize Member

Hey all, Day 3 and a Happy Labor Day!

Today I'm moving forward a notch to talk about some fellow off-roaders, about 2 years ago I was invited to a K5 Bash by a good friend who as you can guess has a K5. Now this group is open to other types of of rigs but I had the only Bronco and as you can imagine the first morning meet prior to the trail run some comments where made about the Bronco guy.. Well I had some time behind the wheel and knew my comfort levels from prior outings so I was confident the Bronco would hold its own all day no problem. The trial was called Elvis and it was my personal first time on it but I had heard some of the rock gardens had a tendency to put rigs on the roof or side so I knew I had some pretty rough obstacles ahead.

By the time we got to the first obstacle I could see why some people may end up in not so good positions, I wasn't new to be on this type of terrain it was just a new trial so I took the "hard line" to make a quick statement. This image quality isn't great but its all I have of the moment.

I did toot my own horn a little by doing the line but for the rest of the day nobody had a negative word to speak about the Bronco. This is to this day one of my favorite trails to go on because it has something for everyone.

The day turned into night and the group had made it back in one piece (for the most part) BBQ time, and some stories shared. These guys are still inviting the Bronco annually and are some great people in my book.. After talking around I found that one of the guys on the trail run was an editor of 4 wheeler magazine and sure enough a few weeks later I came across an add with the Bronco in it.

I was pretty happy to see others had noticed the love and work put into the Bronco..

post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 11:47 AM

Hello Bronco Land

I want to start with the amazing wheeling pictures by Bronco Wyatt and Always Dirty ... WOW it is amazing to see these Bronco's out in their element. I am from Iowa and we have absolutely nothing to compare with those views. Keep them coming guys. BandB ... I am looking forward to following this build. You started out with with a Bronco better then most restores I have seen, cant wait to see what all went into turning it into what it is now.

I Spent most of Labor day in the shop running the Emergency Brake cable, sand blasting and painting nuts and bolts, and getting the TRex Radius arms installed. It was a very fun productive day. Its been fun getting past the restore part and bolting on shiny new parts.

But back to the restore

The floor boards front and rear (Rear seat area, the bed was in pretty shape) were rotted out bad, they were cut out and new ones from LMC installed in the front but there was nothing for the back. We found a pick up box in really good shape and decided to use it for the rear floor board. Its took some time to get them to fit but they turned out nice, a few coats of Seam Sealer and It was ready for primer then body color on the interior.

New cab corners were installed and new supports on the frame. From the pinch weld down the frame was sprayed with Rhino bedliner and from the pinch weld up was shot glass black

Next I will get into the body.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Floor 3.jpg (43.5 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg Floor 1.jpg (56.9 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg Floor 5.jpg (189.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Floor 6.jpg (86.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Floor 2.jpg (203.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Floor 4.jpg (171.5 KB, 7 views)
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 11:48 AM

I was unable to add these pictures to the last post so here are 2 on the outside of the cab.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Frame 2.jpg (43.5 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg Frame 1.JPG (53.9 KB, 105 views)
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 12:11 AM
Fullsize Member

Day 4!

Today I want to share some of the steering upgrades, when I originally did the SAS I used some 3/4 ton parts for the links and picked up the James Duff track bar and track bar bracket. During the first year of abuse I found myself getting "death wobble" frequently and since I drive my rig to and from each trail run it was an issue. I had replaced the track bar bushing 3 times and tie rod ends every now and then to correct the nasty wobbles. Now, the track bar sat at a slight forward angle because I had moved the front axle forward an inch so this didn't help the situation at all. I figured it was time to put some thought into an upgrade..

So I picked up some heim joints, bungs and DOM tube

To match the track bar and drag link angle I boxed in the original James Duff track bar bracket and extended it 1" and 3/4" of an inch, I didn't want it hang way down so I picked up a cool 1" offset heim from Barns 4WD for the axle side. It lines up within a fraction of a degree. Perfect for me!

Since the upgrade I haven't had any "death wobble" and the steering is much more responsive. At some point a hydraulic assist and better knuckles will get in but for now Im happy!

post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 12:42 AM
Fullsize Member

Hey all,
Just going to be a quick post tonight. Spent a better part of the evening learning how to edit video and get it posted to Youtube. I'd like to get some videos up throughout the month of my Bronco in its current state and in action.
I am still under 500 miles and a couple months out since I completed my SAS and everything has been great so far, but very soon I need to go through and re-torque everything and change diff oil.
I have just been taking it out for short trips on the weekends to the hills near my house, which also happens to contain a lot of mining history. I have been visiting load mines the last few weeks and the Bronco is making a cakewalk of trails that were formerly an issue for me. I couldnt be happier with my suspension setup so far and cant wait to share the details of it as we move along with this awesome competition.

Here's a quick video of the first obstacle I went up right after finishing my SAS, its not much but I couldnt have done it last time I was out there wheelin!

post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 11:06 PM

Hello Crazy Bronco Owners

It has been a busy last 2 nights in the shop pushing to get this truck running this month. This post is a little out of order but Im excited to finally have rear tires on and got to see the wheels and tires on the back and the final height. We installed the TRex arms (More then once) last night and the front shock's, replaced all the U Joints, painted and baked some brackets, and finished up the rear brakes. I will get back on track with the restore but here is a little teaser of the final outcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rear Tires.jpg (381.5 KB, 4 views)
post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 12:33 AM
Fullsize Member

Lots of hard work going into all these Bronco's! We are some dedicated owners!

Tonight I am going to give you all the chance to see under the hood of my Bronco. I have a lot of time spent in the engine bay making modifications and repairs. My main goal over the years has been to first build a reliable truck then do the suspension. However, because of several major issue's that came up the first couple years (I'll share those stories later) I have spent quite a bit more money and hours on repairs and dependability than hoped for, majorly delaying the fun rock crawling mods. I pulled loads of information from this site to get me through almost everything I did and some stuff with my own twist. So here is everything under the hood I've done in the last five years and a couple from the PO.

Speed Density 351W Flat Tappet with "RV Cam", cam installed by PO so I dont know which one it is.
PO installed items:
-K/N Single tube intake
-Trans-adapt throttle body spacer
-Ford Racing valve covers

Everything I have done:
-JBG Superduty motor mounts
-Cloyes double roller timing set
-Accel 300+ plug wires
-New dizzy and Motorcraft hall effect sensor
-New Motorcraft smog pump
-3G alternator
-Cleaned and rebuilt 4-hole injectors
-New water pump
-New EGR valve
-New thermactor valve
-New PCV
-Motorcraft Black ICM, someone had installed the grey version not for my application.
-Motorcraft throttle position sensor
-Motorcraft FPR
-Motorcraft IAC
-NTK O2 sensor
-Motorcraft belt tensioner
-Gates idler pulley

Here is a pick under the hood and some pics of other mods I have done.

My charging system and starter wire weren't in to good of shape so I swapped it all out including the negative side to the frame and the motor block jumper with #1 AWG marine grade tinned wire and terminal ends, sealed with glued HD shrink tube.

To feed plenty of fluid to my front 3/4 ton dual piston brake calipers I installed a Lightning 1.25" bore Master Cylinder and Baer proportioning valve to the rear drums.

I found my factory vacuum lines cracked so I replaced them all with silicone tubing.

I did the saginaw p.s. pump swap and installed a Motorcraft rebuilt 4-bolt steering gear box with cooler in front of the radiator and two stage filter. During my SAS I got rid of the abs pump and controller, I like the space that cleared up.

I have to say, after all that stuff, especially the vacumm lines and wiring upgrade, that I noticed a performance gain and mpg increase. I recommend everyone do those two mods at least!
post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 11:05 PM
Fullsize Member

Good evening Bronco fans!

It was almost at the year mark of owning my Bronco when the first real issue's began to arise. After work one day back in January '14 I hopped in my truck to leave work and nothing happened when I turned the key! Except, the fuel pump kept running. A quick search on Fullsizebronco.com revealed a bad ECM, sure enough mine had moisture in it and was shot. I got that swapped out with a parts store replacement and also picked up an extra I pulled from the JY out of a matching '95 BKO to keep in the garage for a backup, I also grabbed the PSOM and some other parts out of that truck.
A few months later in spring I took a two hour drive south to Morristown, AZ for a prospecting get together with some friends. The Bronco ran great the entire weekend and I had a blast exploring all over the desert looking for gold and even scored my first nugget with a metal detector, a nice 1.8 gram piece of solid gold!
Things weren't so wonderful on the trip back though, about 50 miles from home while cruising on the interstate I started to get power loss and was having trouble keeping speed, pulled over at the next exit to check things out and it was idling good, ran okay at lower speeds and all looked to be okay. Back on the interstate and I had no power trying to get up to speed, finally cruising again and after another 20 miles or so it started back firing through the intake occasionally! I was able to make it home, but just barely. When I turned down my street to the house it was hardly running and I pretty much coasted into the driveway.
Back at home a compression test revealed no compression in cylinder 2, I pulled that head and discovered a valve seat had dropped and was holding open the intake valve. What!? I have never heard of that one before. So I rounded up a pair of rebuilt heads, had longer travel springs installed in case the larger cam had the too much lift for the stockers and replaced both heads. That was the first time I have done a head swap and everything went great until I warmed the truck up and the passenger side was leaking coolant from the back of the head at the gasket Pulled that stupid head all over again and found the guide bushing wedged in a little crooked and it somehow keep the head from tightening down correctly. My next reassembly attempt went fine and she was running awesome again.
Until the next major problem came up about a year later...that story's to come.

Unfortunately I was not able to find any pictures from when the valve seat dropped, they are buried in one of our computers somewhere... Although, below is a picture of while I was at the prospecting outing and was driving up a wash paying more attention to the geology around me than what was in front of me and I got the rear diff hung up on a boulder, I had to get her unstuck with a jack and some rocks under the tire.

Here's my first gold nugget and the Bronco helped me get back in the hills and up long washes to find it.
post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 10:36 PM

Alright FSB, I'm back, sorry for the long delay, its tough to keep up with this competition between family and work.

So lets jump right into it, first thing i want to talk about is what drew me to this Bronco from the start. No, it wasn't how clean it looked(although that was a big plus), it was the sound coming from the 520 cubic inches of pure Ford power under the hood. That's right, one 15 second video of this truck idling started the drool and the rest is history.With a Scat rotating assembly, Trick Flow heads, Wiend intake, 850 Holley, and Maddog headers with 2" primaries the engine is estimated to be putting out 600+hp.

Transferring that power to the wheels is done through a custom built 3 speed C6 with a 2800 stall converter, reverse manual valve body. Climbing the sand dunes on hot summer days and really working the powertrain would heat up the trans to a dangerous 230 degrees even with a double stack Derale cooler with and electric fan. To remedy this, a PML deep aluminum pan was installed and the fluid was switched from Type F to Amsoil Supershift. This has since kept my trans fluid temp down below 215 degrees even when working it hard.

OK, now that you're up to 'speed' on the powertrain that came with the truck, lets get into how it came to be so big... First off, when i purchased the Bronco, i had a set of 39.5" x 18" Mickey Thompson Baja tires sitting in the pole barn looking for a home. So, my first order of business was to lift it large enough to fit the tires and get a roll cage assembled to keep the kiddos safe. Within a week of bringing it home, i ordered a 9" lift kit from JBG to get the ball rolling before summer was in full swing. The roll cage was fabbed and put together first.

Next came the suspension, I installed it first... big mistake because that roll cage was pretty heavy, lol, and there it was, my vision coming to life.

Now that I had what i envisioned, it was time to hit the sand. Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Silver Lake, Michigan, my playground, right on the shores of Lake Michigan. Testing went well, threw some sand around and had a great time, kids loved it, BUT... there was something lacking. This first trip started a long journey of trial and error. The suspension was rough, basic, and performed very poorly. Driving on the paved roads was terrifying, the excessively wide bias ply tires caused the truck to wander all over the road, it was like driving on marshmallows, hard to control. Climbing hills was OK, but all that power was being lost to the stock open diffs and gearing. Overall I was disappointed, and I realized that my "vision" did not meet my expectations. That's all i have for now, but i will leave this teaser pic that leads in to the next phase of the complete overhaul.
post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 11:27 PM

Hello Again Broncoland

Always Dirty , That is awesome finding a gold nugget while prospecting. I go to Tombstone AZ every year with my parents and we hired a tour guide to take us "Prospecting" it was a lot of fun but no way he was taking us anywhere we would really find something.

On to the body work, not as many pictures of the body going on. We used all new sheet metal except for the Hood it was still in really good shape, the cab had one spot about the size of a nickel but the bad spot was cut out and new metal was replaced.

For paint I went with factory color's with a little more pearl added to the light blue and a lot more metallic to the dark blue. The topper was stripped down and re-sealed and textured (twice). I really thought I was going to have to replace the topper but it turned out fantastic.

All the chrome moldings were replaced, new Grill, new lenses on the lights, door hinges and handles, new mirrors.

Next up is the interior.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0002 (Custom).JPG (113.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8209.JPG (112.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8524 (Small).JPG (91.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0001 (Custom).JPG (123.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8208.JPG (102.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8522 (Small).JPG (108.7 KB, 5 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Ford Bronco Forum > Welcome > F.O.T.M Voting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode