FULL SIZE OF THE YEAR 2018 VOTE HERE!!!!! - Page 2 - Ford Bronco Forum
View Poll Results: Choose your favorite Fullsize Bronco of 2018!!!
cstrike 26 46.43%
deathmobile2 6 10.71%
Ghosteh 18 32.14%
95 Bronco Wyatt 6 10.71%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

857Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 07:21 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 86 302/AOD on 8 lugs. 96 302/ZF5.
Garage
Thanks for allowing me to enter my 1986 Bronco in FOTY! My name is Phil and at 41 years old, I have been playing with Ford trucks off and on for 25 years. At 16 my first vehicle was a 1983 Chevy Van (my father owns a carpet cleaning business so I needed a van) but within 6 months I bought a 1976 F-150 for $300 as a project. I loved that truck and learned to wrench because of it. My best friend loved it too, so much so he wanted one himself and bought a 1978 Bronco. I was immediately jealous and that Bronco haunted me for years.

In 2006 I moved from Oswego County New York to Flagstaff, Arizona. One of my criteria for getting the heck out on NY was to live somewhere that old vehicles aren’t destroyed by rust. As I slowly got my act together out here I started looking for a new project…. A 1978-79 Bronco. I was trying to be patient but in 2010 I found this 1986 that had already undergone an SAS for $2200, I couldn’t help myself. I ended up paying $1900 and have no regrets.

Here is how I bought it:

I thought the front bumper was well built and badass but I felt it protruded out too far and hung too low for my taste. More to come on that.

The truck came with pretty sweet half doors. I have no idea why but I didn’t like them at the time and sold them off on Craigslist. This is the first of many, many regrets I have over selling parts. I try not to sell much of anything anymore.

I cruised it around mostly as-is for the first summer. These pictures are on the way to Lake Powell.

In some of those pictures you can see small weld bumps where the PO had filled in holes from trim. I became obsessed with trying to weld in every hole on the body. This was the first time I had ever tried to weld sheet metal and although it took some getting used to, I started getting better as I went on.

I started on the fenders, grinding what was there and filling in the holes he didn’t get to:

Then it was on to all the unfortunate holes from the little tie-downs all along the bedsides:

But also the scar from what must have been a long gone CB mount:

The Body had tears along the top of the B pillar. Pretty common place for fatigue and something I wanted to address. I had some thin, soft steel around and did my best to patch the area.

Rather than try to fill in the holes from the tire carrier, I put the bolts in their holes, ground the heads off and welded them in place.

Things were slowly starting to shape up. At this point I still thought I was doing a good job. The truth is, I was warping the hell out of the body and didn’t know it. I’d later do some reading about how to minimize distortion but ignorance was bliss and I really thought things were going well! lol Also going through these pictures reminded me I was simultaneously building my tube doors. I guess I completely forgot about that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
F.O.T.Y. 2017

Bronco Info: 78 W/400
Garage
Well That's too bad @RicksBroncoBeast was looking forward to seeing your Diesel beast in action. We can only support you to concentrating on making your family better and thank you for letting us know early. I have removed you from the Poll so we don't see any wasted votes.

For everyone else don't forget if you have a question on anything in the F.O.T.Y. to post up in CHAT WITH THE CONTESTANTS HERE !!!
BikerPepe` and itwasFREE!!!! like this.
post #23 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 08:39 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: '96 XLT 5.0L manual hubs, 4" Rancho lift, rock sliders, relocated shock mounts, original USBP vehicl
Garage
So now it was time to drive across the country to get my Bronco.

I borrowed my grandpa's Dodge dually and friend's heavy car trailer, and my buddy and I made a bonsai run from Lake Michigan to the Gulf of Mexico. We both like road trips, so neither of us was complaining much at a very long day. The funny part was that we passed at least 3 Broncos on the side of the road with "For Sale" signs on them as we drove to get mine. My buddy kept saying that during his turn to drive he was just going to pull over and buy one of those.

Early the next morning we arrive at the address, literally 15 minutes North of the Gulf of Mexico in the most remote corner of the Mississippi, and find what looks like a trail for a driveway. Check the GPS? Yep, it's the right address. I swear we could almost hear banjos playing...

We made it up to the house (which was a trailer) and met the owner's wife, who was 9 months pregnant. The owner was gone for a few days at his job on an oil rig in the Gulf, but had told her to collect the remaining money and give us the keys. Ok, no problem; we can do that.

Except it wouldn't start. The owner had literally told me "Well, it looks like hell, but it runs good" during our last conversation.

The owner's wife pulled her car around so we could jump start it, but the Bronco wasn't having it! No way was it cooperating with us Northern carpetbaggers!

I'm sure at this point she was probably worried that I was going to ask for my money back and leave, and she'd be stuck there with that ugly Bronco that they hadn't been able to sell in 6 months.

We fought with it for an hour, as the Mississippi summer day began to warm up. The pregnant wife called her brother to come help us, but by the time he arrived, we had already used a tow strap and the Dodge to pull the Bronco up onto the trailer. THAT was quite a show to see!

The brother, a little skinny guy wearing a 1-piece jumpsuit, arrived driving what had to be a new $50k Ford pickup with a lift kit, custom rims & oversized tires. It was obvious that he was also flabbergasted at the 2 Northern boys who drove from Chicago to buy his brother-in-law's broken old Bronco.

"Am I missing something here? You two drove from Chicago to buy this thing? He couldn't sell it locally for months. Is there something special about it that we don't know?" he asked as we chained it down, sweating our asses off by now.

Nope, nothing special. We just needed a rust-free truck.
I bet he's still telling the story of the two dumb Yankees that his brother-in-law skinned!

So we loaded up and got out of there before the mosquitoes ate us alive. Or the banjos really started playing.

I stopped and took this photo once we were back to a paved road.

It's hard to imagine how I felt at that moment; I had climbed in that seat moments before we left, realizing that the last time I had sat there was nearly 2 decades prior. Although she was beaten, faded, dirty and broken, there was still something that called to me. Despite all the difficulty, I was extremely glad that she was finally mine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 06:51 AM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
Here is a little detail of the tube doors. I had some aluminum diamond plate I bent and installed some 6.5” Polk Audio speakers. The doors latch with aftermarket automotive latches. I grab the bottom tube and pull down on the little lever to open.

To keep the doors from rattling, I re-used the rubber bumpers from the factory spare tire carrier. These bumpers were prefect to take up the slack.

I’m looking around for old pics. I want to tell my story chronologically although I also feel like I’ll need to splice in some action, even if it is out of order. That said, I dug up some interesting pics from the beginning.

Here is a shot from when I was playing tour guide to my Dad and his buddy who were visiting from NY. They borrowed my Victory and a friend’s Mean Streak to tour Northern AZ. I was driving the Bronco in a support role! Miss that Victory.

While those guys were out on their vacation, I decided to turn around the rear seat. I’ll come up with some photos of that mod but what a great way for me to drive people around and allow them to relax and take photos.

I was surprised to run across these two photos. Don’t you hate it when you are trying to work on your Bronco but the Fire Department forces you to evacuate….. how inconvenient! This forest fire was a huge deal in Flagstaff. The called it the Schultz fire and it was on the peaks in town. The fire started within 30 days of me closing on my 1st home and forced my neighborhood to evacuate. Luckily we were okay but the loss of vegetation on the mountain cause us to be evacuated again a month later due to flooding and mudslides!

The photos I started the contest with, in the leaves, are in that Schultz area but now 8 years later. Here I am surveying some of the damage:

post #25 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 08:55 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: '96 XLT 5.0L manual hubs, 4" Rancho lift, rock sliders, relocated shock mounts, original USBP vehicl
Garage
After a very long drive, we arrived home and I unloaded my new purchase. The no-start issue was quickly diagnosed as a bad battery cable, which was replaced. It started, but soon after I had to replace the starter also. This was just the beginning of the mechanical issues.

A much bigger issue was discovered when I drove it around the block; severe steering issues! Just to keep it straight, you had to constantly move the steering wheel from about the 10 o'clock to the 2 o'clock positions. It was almost like driving on ice.

So my first order was to Redhead for a quality steering box.

That really helped a lot, but it didn't totally solve my steering issues. Later, an alignment and new steering dampener made things right again! New tires didn't hurt either.

I also picked up a Saginaw pump bracket & will be detailing its install later here. One of the things we're all familiar with is that "groan" from the stock Ford pump. Even when new, they sound like they're about to die. That's one thing that always bothered me about the Fords.

post #26 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 08:05 PM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
Found a nice surprise in the mailbox tonight when I got home! Issue #78 of Bronco Driver magazine is out.
They did a great job on the article!

post #27 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 07:32 AM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
Today’s update is regarding the construction of my front bumper. I had a fairly popular thread in the fabrication section about it and how almost all the materials were sourced from my local landfill. Every Saturday I take in a bag of trash or two and leave with little steel treasures from the metal pile!

I ditched the existing bumper and trimmed the bottom of my fenders to be flush with the lower valance. My goal was to keep the bumper high and tight for approach angle so I started by boxing the frame horns with angle and plate from the landfill.

I had old pipe kicking around and after test fitting decided the lower valance could go as well.

I bent the pipe with a Harbor Freight pipe bender. It was a pain to get matching bends on each side.

I felt the look was unfinished so I added in ¼” plate ‘wings’ and short pieces of bar stock on the edge to tie it together.

After a rattle can paint job:

The next step was to start a stinger. This would be the second time I’ve ever tried to bend tube and I had no idea what I was doing….. I just knew I wanted a stinger. I tack welded little pieces of scrap conduit to try different angles.

Once I had a plan it was time to try the homemade bender my buddy and I shared. He built this off plans he found on-line and it works pretty well.

The next step was to add recovery points and I wanted to keep with my landfill theme (to be honest though, I did buy the tubing) so I cut up some ½” plate and doubled it up. This was not worth it. The welding, grinding and drilling all sucked when I could have bought shackle hangers relatively cheap. Every bumper since has gotten shackle mounts off the web!

Then through mounted into the ¼” face of the bumper:

Done for now….

post #28 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 08:57 AM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
Once I was able to start it & drive down the road, it was time to clean it up a little.
I blame most of the thick dust coating the interior on California, and the slick red snot-mud and green moss growing over the body on Mississippi. Had to take it to Illinois to clean it up!

Anyway, it started to look much better after some serious soap & water:

Of course, I was excited at this point, but no one else in the family really seemed interested in going for a ride. Can't say that I blame them much. As bad as the exterior looked, the interior was worse. Despite my scrubbing, the green growth was still on the carpet. The headliner in front & back was sagging and had been burned with a lighter in spots. The windshield was cracked in several places. The plastic dash was broken, with a large piece broken off just above the glove box. Holes had been drilled in the dash pad. The radio had been smashed and had buttons missing. Pieces of the trim were missing. The sun-bleached door panels were filthy, with broken door handles. The seats were ripped and missing a lot of foam, and the plastic trim around them was ripped and burned in spots. One arm rest as broken off and had been tossed in the back. A mouse nest was somewhere in the back, and there was a very hard to ignore smell.

So if I wanted anyone to ride with me (beyond my then-10-year-old, who's immune to dirt and stink), I had quite a bit of work to do!

post #29 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 01:53 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: SAS Grizzly Locked Front and Rear
HEY FSB!

I haven't forgotten about the FOTY and don't plan on giving up! Its been a long week but its finally Friday and as they say flex it Friday, here is a little clip out playing around when the rear bumper was still underway.

More footage is coming soon, I plan to do a run this weekend. This will be the maiden voyage of the new motor, trans, transfer case, and rear end. Look back to the September FOTM to see some of the build and wish the Bronco luck, plan to see some great views and fun out on the trails.

Locked, Geared, SAS and ready to play
post #30 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 08:44 AM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
Short update today, I’ll finish the front bumper up.

Shortly after I finished my bumper a co-worker offered me two winches in a milk crate for cheap. I didn’t have the cash but couldn’t refuse. I ended up with a Warn 12,000lb and a Ramsey 8,000lb. Unfortunately I wasn’t planning for a winch so when I tried to add it on it just looked goofy. Especially the Warn, it is huge!

Here are the only pics I could find with the winch just boogered to front of the bumper. Pictured with my buddy’s F-150.

I quickly realized I was going to need to bury the winch and started cutting up my just finished bumper!

I had to build a box from plate. Cardboard templates helped.

I’m embarrassed to say the truck was left nearly finished to rust for a while before I got back to grinding and painting.

post #31 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 08:46 AM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
Have you ever jumped in your new toy and "snap" something breaks?

That's what happened to me almost immediately after we brought it home. Stupid door handle! (Stand by, because it won't be the last time I had to replace the same one.)

While I was ordering parts, I got a set of new door pins, which fixed the sagging driver's door.

While I was working on that, my helper was... umm, I'm not sure what he was doing here, except playing in the water.

A good friend sent me a set of original door emblems (these are REALLY hard to find!), and we couldn't resist taping it on for a quick preview of what the finished truck was going to look like.

Finally I had a truck that started and drove straight, and had most of the Mississippi mold washed off. It was starting to look decent. Well, maybe not decent, but at least halfway clean and I was able to drive it to the lake for a few photos.

But that interior was still terrible.

That was the next thing that I wanted to address. When you looked at the old interior, it was really hard to decide where to start. But the decision was made for me when I went to one of the local junkyards & found a '94 or '95 F150 with a nice dash to replace the cracked on in mine. Best of all, it had a very decent pad to go with it! (I never realized how hard good ones were to find.) I ended up getting both for $100, which I thought was fair at the time, and later found out was a really good deal.

Honestly, I had no idea how difficult it was to pull & skin a dash. Like most who try this without knowing what to do, I did it the hard way. It took me all day to get the dash out of mine, and of course it was July and I think we were setting new heat records. But I eventually wrestled it out.

With the old dash out of mine, and an understanding of how to do it easier the second time, as well as what tools I needed, I went back to the junkyard and pulled the dash from the F150. This time, it went faster, but still not fast enough. The heat wave continued, and I didn't bring enough water. Plus, I was in an overgrown junkyard filled with hungry mosquitos and horseflys, and I think a raccoon had pooped in the cab of the truck. Not exactly ideal working conditions. But I had my eye on the prize and pushed through, and got it out without breaking anything. I was also able to get a factory jack and rod, which was just about the only other parts on the old F150 that I could have used.

Then I retreated back to the garage to disassemble both dashes, and replaced the plastic skin on mine. Luckily, the garage is much cooler than outside. I also learned that while they look identical, there are some very small differences between the bracketry on the '94/95 dash and the '96 dash. None of that really mattered, because it all went back together fine.

The new dash wasn't faded nearly as much as my old one, and had a nice pad on the passenger side. Definitely an upgrade worth $100, even at the cost of 2 days of heat stroke.

MUCH much better! But I still had quite a way to go. I eventually replaced most of the interior, but it took quite a while to find the nice used parts. I'll update you on the interior project later, but to keep my story on track, the next thing I did was more exterior work.

And I have to tell you that at this point, I promised my wife & myself that all I was going to do was just preserve the "bones" of the truck, which meant getting it straight & in driving condition so it could be moved around while in storage at the family farm. My intentions were to basically store this thing until it was eligible for antique plates. There's a reason I don't want to really drive this much until I can get the antique plates, and I'll talk more about that later also.

post #32 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 08:21 AM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
It was really bothering me that the Bronco didn't look like it was supposed to, and the 20-year-old unused door seal that my friend sent me put the bug in my head to get the proper markings back on the truck. I knew that if I did that, I was limiting how much I'd be using it in the next few years, as it's slightly frowned upon to drive a privately-owned, fully marked police vehicle on public roads. But there was/is hope, since a vague Illinois law allows antique emergency vehicles to be fully marked and driven on the roads, if they are registered antique vehicles. I just had to wait until it was 25-years-old to do any serious driving. That, or cover any permanent marking with painter's tape while driving it on the highways.

So I made the decision to go ahead and mark it now, and just use it sparingly for the next few years. Additionally, I keep it in a very rural area, and it's not as prominent as driving through downtown Chicago.

A friend who owns a graphics business took careful measurements, lots of photos, and made exact reproductions of the original stickers. Then he scanned my original emblem and printed a few copies on 3M reflective material, so it was reflective as the original. I had two complete sets of decals made, plus we kept the files for future use, if needed.

Maybe it was a little premature to put the stickers on at that point, but it was really cheap, and I had an extra set to use when I did I full repaint. So we went ahead and marked it up, just for fun!

Ok, now all the other stuff really bothers me! So I started looking for some of the odds & ends that I needed to replace.
First was the tailgate trim, which was missing the black insert. I looked for a while and finally found a pretty nice replacement (those things are expensive! And it's hard to find one that's not dented or scratched!).

When I took off the old one, I was not happy to see that the government mechanics had taken a short-cut when they last got into the tailgate to repair it. At this point, it seemed like everything I did just lead to another project. I was opening Pandora's box.
(Incidentally, the tailgate glass would not go down. There's another project!)

But it looked better with the new trim on. And I eventually made a cover for the hole that was hidden by the trim panel.

Ebay shopping also led me to a new leather-wrapped steering wheel and airbag. My old wheel was bare & the airbag cover looked like someone had been carving their initials or something into it with a pocket knife.

Of course, I stumbled across more deals while I was spending money. The stock radio, which looked like it had been dragged behind the truck instead of sitting in the dash, just wasn't cutting it in a new, fresh dash. Yes, I could have bought an aftermarket one with all kinds of features and much better performance, but my purpose was to put this truck back to the way it was when I drove it, not to modify it. So I found another stock Ford radio to replace the old, and it looks much better. (The only thing is that this version didn't have the clock display. I need to eventually find the correct one. I'm currently trying to determine if I had a "premium sound system", which seems to be a different head unit from the standard one.)

Even though my truck looks stock, it's been a lot of work to get things back the way they should be. Lots of little parts have been replaced, all with original parts in much better condition. Like I said, it would have been easier to start with any old white Bronco and just paint it up to look like this, but that's creating a fake, not preserving a real one.

post #33 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 10:49 PM
Fullsize Member

Hey all a quick post for you.

Over the weekend we did a trip to Willow Springs in Apache Junction Az, this is a really fun trail with lots of obstacles for pretty much any type of rig from near stock to full crawler. This was our first trip out with our newest addition to the family, she is a year old this month and seems to love the off road stuff, she was laughing and talking from 9AM to 3PM (the entire trip). Also this was the first time out with the new motor, trans, transfer case, and rear end so kind of a big deal for myself since I've done all of this stuff over the last year during the babies nap times!

The trip was smooth sailing and one of the nice things about this type of trail is its rarely ever the same as the last time you've done the trip, as we get our rains here in AZ the sandy washes transform. Something that may have been a small obstacle like solid stone a foot out out of the wash can now be a 4' deep V-notch that is challenging for a side by side.. Its really something and keeps the trips fun and you on watch for new places to try out.

Without further ado heres some of the fun out on Sunday, don't worry the baby was out of the rig on anything that raised an eyebrow..

I'll post some more fun from Sunday later this week, next weekend is another trip out with the AZ Bronco Club. Should be a good time!

post #34 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 06:09 AM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
Here are a few pics that show the truck post Herculiner. Some guys think the Herculiner is cool but many find it cheesy. Honestly, I lean more to the latter myself. The decision was made because all the welding of holes had added dozens of small warped areas to the body. I'm not saying they couldn't be fixed but it was bad enough that it didn't make sense to put that kind of effort into a truck that was intended for rock crawling.

As significant as the warping looked with wet paint, it was hidden easily with even just the first coat of bedliner. The number 1 question I get is about fading due to the sun. Yes, the Herculiner fades relatively quickly. But, I am also in a top 10 sunniest city and at 7000' so there isn't much atmosphere between my poor Bronco and the sun. After about 4 years, I added a second coat. If I end up spending $90 ever 5 years or so I don't mind.

Here is the Bronco at the landfill…. My favorite place to scavenge for materials! The lady who works the booth at the landfill finally had to ask me about my weekly ritual. She says “you come here every week with 2 bags of trash but you’re in here for 45 minutes, what are you doing in there?” Haha collecting parts for bumpers, silly.

An early date with my now wife:

Since this is a short update and my rear bumper is partially complete in the pictures, I’ll add some detail on that project as well.

The previous owner had already build a simple and clean rear bumper from 2 x 5 x 3/16th tube but I wanted to get the spare off the body.

The guy did a very nice job on the tabs that mounted to the frame but they were 3/16th and had no lateral support. Since a swing out tire carrier was in the works, I welded 2.5” ¼” angle between the tabs.

I’m sure I could have stopped there but I then added ¼" wings to the outside as well.

Now satisfied, I started the swing out.

More to come on the bumper tomorrow........

post #35 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 08:22 AM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
The next round of repairs was a little more involved than a few stickers and a steering box.

First, I had a friend who owns a body shop straighten my bent front bumper.
(Doesn't this look sad?)

Now straight. However, the rear bumper was bent and ripped. That would eventually be another project (which I'm completing this week).

Then it was time to address more serious issues: new bearings, shocks, pads & rotors, u-joints, tie-rod ends, steering stabilizer, etc.

Drove it into town and to the local tire store. Those nearly bald BFG tires were replaced with Dick Cepek 31" tires, and I had the front aligned. That made another huge improvement in how it drives. Finally, it felt safe to go faster than 25 mph!

Also notice that the rear shock mounts were moved. That was done when it was put in service. I never really noticed that back in the day, but it makes sense since we were constantly bouncing and crawling over rocks. I imagine a lot of bent & broken shock mounts eventually justified modifying brand new vehicles.

I probably should have gone with a little taller tires, since I could have easily handled 32" or even 33", but keeping it true to its service days was important. While I know most of the trucks back then used 31", there were a few that had slightly larger ones. Anyway, I believe my next pair will be 33"s, but as much as I drive, it will probably take me a decade to wear these out.

post #36 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 09:33 PM
Fullsize Member

Here is another photo of the beautiful AZ canyons at Willow. These are certainly not the best here but still pretty damn awesome! This is our stopping point for this trail since after this its on foot through the canyons for about 3 miles then your at one our lakes.

Out here its not uncommon to find good size ponds in the middle of nowhere, these are purposely placed for cattle or to support wildlife during droughts.

This one is of another trail called Box Canyon in Florence Junction, in some spots driving through the canyon squeeze is only about 10' wide and canyon walls are and steep and tall. Also when it rains don't use this trail since it floods heavily..

If you cant tell I love AZ wheeling

post #37 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 08:25 AM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
I'd love wheeling in that too! I have to admit, you AZ guys are so lucky to have that climate & scenery. What a fun day that would be!
No wonder your AZ Bronco club is so active!

post #38 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 08:32 AM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
Now that it was more roadworthy, I wanted to get another very visible piece fabricated. Using the outlines in the paint and the holes in the body, it was easy to fabricate a set of window bars that exactly match the ones originally on the truck. This is a very distinctive feature, and really think it gives the truck an aggressive look!

Originally I just spray painted them black. Over Thanksgiving, I'm sandblasting them and getting them powdercoated so there's no issues with rust in the future.

You can also see the rear emergency lights, on a bracket that I made. Unfortunately, I got a red/blue lense combo and had to look for a while to find a correct(for California) yellow/blue lens. There are strobe flashers in the tail lights that work along with the lightbar, and in the front, the headlights have wig-wag flashers and there are red & blue lights in the grill.

Back inside, I found the correct police radio console. Now I had to search for all the radios and light control switches (which I eventually found). Interior is looking much better, but the best is yet to come!

Oops! Found a loose rifle round rattling around in the back.

You can see from the photos that it was starting to get cold out. I only had one more project before the end of the year, and that was swapping out those old headlights. Again, I stuck with factory stock units. Boring, huh?

This actually happened after Christmas, and my little guy was able to help me replace the headlights with his new tool set. He was VERY proud to be a part of that!

post #39 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 06:22 AM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
Here is the last of my bumper build photos. I probably get more comments on this bumper than anything else I’ve ever built. The idea I had was to pat tribute to the 70’s trucks that I still love so much. By the way if you are looking for 70’s tailgate emblems…. Don’t bother looking in Northern Arizona junkyards, they are all in my garage!

So I started with this piece of trim:

I tacked together a box for it out of angle I had laying around:

Then I finally had a project to test out my new plasma cutter:

Fully welded…. I wasn’t worried about adding any additional strength to the bumper but at this point it is incredibly solid.

And test fitting:

The trim piece is a friction fit. By the time all the welds cooled it was actually tighter than I intended. I had to tap it in place with a piece of 2x4 and if I ever wanted to get it out again I would destroy it.

post #40 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 06:23 AM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
I'm kind of lost on where I am in my story but somewhere around this time my father and step-mother came out for a visit. They love the Southwest and although they've seen Sedona several times, this trip included a leisurely drive down Schnebly Hill Rd. This dirt road takes you from the highway outside Flagstaff (7000') down along the Mogollon rim and into Sedona (4000') with views you can't get from pavement. Things were starting to get serious between my wife and I and she was all excited to play host to my folks.

I very much love playing tour guide to friends and family that comes to visit and the Bronco is perfect for showing folks around. Reversing the rear seat was a big hit and my folks got a kick out of being chauffeured around. Looking back at this photo I see I had already installed 4” Deaver springs. This was part of me trying to smooth out the ride and the Deavers were a big improvement over the no-name springs that came with the truck.

The only down side of being the tour guide is that I can’t partake in a refreshing beverage.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Ford Bronco Forum > Welcome > F.O.T.M Voting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode