FULL SIZE OF THE YEAR 2018 VOTE HERE!!!!! - Page 4 - Ford Bronco Forum
View Poll Results: Choose your favorite Fullsize Bronco of 2018!!!
cstrike 26 46.43%
deathmobile2 6 10.71%
Ghosteh 18 32.14%
95 Bronco Wyatt 6 10.71%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

857Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 02:28 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 86 302/AOD on 8 lugs. 96 302/ZF5.
Garage
Although there are hundreds (maybe thousands?) of great dirt service roads in Northern Arizona, there aren’t too many rocks near my home in Flagstaff. I’m lucky to live 10 minutes from the Cinder Hills OHV area and that park is extremely popular. It has been featured in Dirt Every Day, Top Gear, Ultimate Adventure and countless print ads for all kinds of vehicles. When the AZ Bronco club came to Flagstaff last year most folks camped out in the cinders.

There is however, one rock staircase just down the road from me that happens to randomly be located off a forest road. Here are some pictures my buddy took of me on that staircase along with some shots of the same obstacle taken during the AZ Bronco club meet.

I spent maybe an hour or two starting to fab a post-dovetail rear bumper. My thought was it would look better in photos with something. Being in a rush and not trimming the ends or getting any paint on it ends up looking worse than having nothing.

I love the way those shots came out. My buddy is an old bull rider from Texas and can barely operate his smart phone. I guess it is a testament to modern technology the pics still came out so well! Only complaint…. he can’t quite ever seem to get the entire truck in the photo.

And on the way home:

Here are the photos taken on the same staircase from the club meet:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 03:09 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: '96 XLT 5.0L manual hubs, 4" Rancho lift, rock sliders, relocated shock mounts, original USBP vehicl
Garage
It's great to have a few days off from work!

I was able to replace the original bumper this week. It had been bent and ripped, and wasn't level with the truck. After looking for more than a year for good used factory bumpers, I finally bit the bullet and ordered a new-old-stock Ford bumper, still in the box. It's not as fancy as a custom built one, but it's what the trucks had on them when in-service.

I think it looks pretty good! Much better than what I had on there just a few days ago:

The rusty mirrors were swapped out for a decent set that I bought online from a salvage yard. I say decent, because they do have some dents and scratches, but they are miles ahead of what I had. I polished them out a little on a buffer, which helped greatly. Lesson learned though; if the photos in the ad aren't clear, I'll ask for better ones or just pass on it. These are ok, and will do until I can find something much nicer.

Oh, and before we started all the work, we took a trip to the car wash, where my son was deeply impressed with the triple-color foam wash. lol!
He's easily entertained.

post #63 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 07:53 AM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
With a goal to finish the month strong sharing some more action shots, I wanted to use this opportunity to share some pictures that don’t quite fit in other posts.

Trimming the fenders meant my sliders are too long. I was almost cut them but they came out too nice and will now be hand-me-downs for the 96.

With that and other projects stacking up, I ordered some steel. I am quite fortunate to have an industrial fab shop at the end of my road that will sell or order me steel. I also have a powder coater two doors from the fab shop. I still tend towards rattle can. So here is the steel I got this month:

This pic also shows the trailer I brought home last November. I’ve been talking about getting a trailer for 5 years or so. Between wheeling and buying crap on craigslist, my wife told me to shut up about it and just buy the damn thing. I find all kinds of uses for it.

This is the extra wide ‘buggy hauler’ with drive over fenders. The front tires go up and over but the rear wedge in tightly. Now that I am more mobile, I anticipate many more wheeling trips this year.

Trimmed and painted the rear bumper:

And I started lining the rear bed rails with 2x3 angle. I wanted to square them up after the dovetail, add strength and have tie down points. These are a work in progress.

Despite the axles and fab work on my Bronco, I felt like I was behind the other rigs in the club. I’ve been neglecting the basics. I started spending time under the hood. I wanted to make more room so I eliminated the non functioning AC, the smog pump (I almost only drive off road) the cruise control and stock air box. I’m not a huge proponent of cold air intakes but wanted the room. I also replaced a leaky master cylinder with a 1 ton mc and booster.

Before:

After:

Going crawling with the club I’ve seen many broken driveline parts. I decided to raid the yard and stock up:

Right before the dovetail, I started adding brackets to my cage to carry spare shafts and my hi-lift. The 96 got to benefit.

So a new cage is taking shape. You can see the start of a hybrid exo cage I’ve been working on this week:

Lastly, you might have noticed the steel Bronco logo adorning my garage here on the Bronco ranch. I free hand cut that out of a giant disk of ¼” steel. Here is what I did with the negative image:

Last edited by cstrike; 11-24-2018 at 07:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 03:52 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: '96 XLT 5.0L manual hubs, 4" Rancho lift, rock sliders, relocated shock mounts, original USBP vehicl
Garage

Ready for another border story?
(It does have Broncos in it)

Back in the '90s, the border between the U.S. and Tijuana, Mexico was a rusted metal fence made out of Vietnam surplus aircraft landing mat. The area where I worked was historically one of the worst parts of the border, and the scene of Joseph Wambaugh's best selling (and true) novel Lines and Shadows (an awesome read, BTW!).

As I mentioned before, the hills and canyons on the U.S. side of the border were dotted with buried seismic sensors, which also came as Vietnam war surplus. We also used several infra-red thermal scopes, which could pick out body heat easily in total darkness. All that technology was great, but an even better way to detect illegal crossers came from Mexico, and the reason I always carried a 10lb. bag of dog food behind my seat, were the homeless dogs that lived along the border fence.

Border dogs were great! They all came from Mexico, where most had been kicked and chased away with rocks. Naturally, they didn't care for people who did that, and slipped under the fence where they found friends on the other side, who wore green uniforms and drove white Broncos.

The dogs would hang around your truck if you fed them, patted their heads, and said a few kind words to them. They loved it! And as a reward, they'd often just hang around your truck and chill, especially around sunset when the light was low and before the thermal scopes were setup for a night's work, and alert you of anyone sneaking north by barking. Many people were caught sneaking over the border because the agents were alerted by the feral dogs from Mexico.

I personally knew several agents who took home puppies from the border, and they all swore that they were the best dogs they ever had!

post #65 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 08:40 AM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
These photos are from Sedona earlier in January once I knew I was going to run for FOTM. My buddy and I decided to go down, collect some photos and then hit PJ’s pub for amazing wings and cold beer.

We went straight to Broken Arrow to get photos out on the rocks with great background.

There is a crevice in the “Jeep playground” area that I was messing around on but fell in because we were too worried about playing around with the camera.

No biggie, just a small dent in the slider. Chicks dig scars.

And a few photos posing in the sun on the way out.

post #66 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 05:47 PM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
Future work

One thing that was done prior to the Bronco being sold at auction was the removal of all the police equipment, and turning the rear seat to face forward once again. New rear seatbelts, which replaced the originals which had been removed when it was put into service, were tossed in the back, still in the factory plastic bags.

Here it is again, as I found it in Mississippi:

And here it is, after I rebuilt the tailgate & was able to get inside and turn the rear seat around, as it was when I drove it:

One of the last big plans that I have for the Bronco is to reproduce & install the front and rear screens that turned the rear of the interior into a place to hold people who were arrested. Most police cars used a commercially available partition, but because few agencies were using Broncos as patrol vehicles, the Border Patrol had to make their own.

Luckily, I have several photos of what they looked like, as well as a good remembrance. Now that the tailgate goes down, we're going to start on this project soon.

A few people suggested that I just leave it alone, with the rear seat facing forward. But that defeats the purpose, which is to put this truck back exactly the way it was when in-service. So we're going to start cutting, bending and welding this up hopefully this month. My plan is to have it done by Spring.

And another reason that I want to get the screen back in there is that the service radio and a fire extinguisher bolt a solid plate behind the driver's seat, and the rifle rack mounts in the center. If I don't have the screen in there, there's nowhere to mount that equipment.

post #67 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 06:20 AM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
In October of last year, a few of us from the AZ Bronco club had the pleasure of hosting @sackman9975 and his wife on a honeymoon wheeling trip on the Broken Arrow trail.

Sackman9975 (Scott) had posted in the Southwest wheeling forum here on FSB about his wedding in Sedona and was asking if any of us Arizona guys wanted to come out and play. They are from Michigan and were looking forward getting out on one of the most scenic trails in AZ. He had the option of renting a Jeep but preferred to be in a Bronco. So myself, @itwasFREE!!!! , @Quader1 and @White Dragon all arranged for a meet and the plan was to let Scott drive my 86 with his wife while I rode shotgun in another Bronco. My truck has some quirks and I wish I fixed a few small nagging issues before hand but even still, it is built enough that nothing in Sedona should be a problem and Scott can focus on the experience.

Parking lot meet up, I think we were squatted down discussing the steering.

My truck next to White Dragon. His Bronco is insanely clean. He even has a white frame to watch for leaks! I’ve never seen a white frame before. Makes me want one really nice Bronco instead of two trail rigs.

Scott’s bride Angie enjoying the scenery. I believe she had a ton of fun this day but like a lot of people new to rocks, she had some healthy anxiety. Turns out she was right to be leery!

Going up the Jeep slide, a climb I posted about in an earlier entry. This time though it was Scott and I. Angie decided to sit this part out and focus on picture taking.

On the way out of the trail things got a little interesting. Scott just happened to drop a tire in the wrong spot and things got a little ‘tipsy’. It can happen quick. Everything turned out fine but what a way to put an exclamation point on the trip. We’re lucky this didn’t happen on the way in because it might have changed the mood.

Good thing Quader1 was following with his GoPro or we wouldn’t have had any photo or video. If you haven’t watched any of my posted youtube videos, this would be the one to check out.

post #68 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 05:00 PM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
One of the few areas where I'm planning to depart from original parts is the steering. I already mentioned how I swapped the stock steering box with the RedHead unit (a great upgrade!) and I'm planning to add a Saginaw power steering pump in the near future. I already have the bracket & will pick up a remanufactured pump from the auto part store, rather than use one from a junked van.

Another good tip is to spend a few extra bucks & get a new high pressure hose. I definitely don't want to blow a hose when I'm hundreds of miles from home! Steering seems to be a problem area, and with this swap, I shouldn't have any issues.

At least it will eliminate that annoying Ford "groan" from the stock pump.

post #69 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 06:58 PM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
Chaos at the border:

If you've been watching the news lately, the area of the border where people are trying to rip down the fence and enter illegally is exactly where my Bronco & I worked for many years. Tear gas & rocks were reported this weekend. Without inserting my own opinions on the issues (which you can probably guess), I've been following this closely for obvious reasons.

Here's a photo from yesterday. I've spent many nights on the other side of this fence and know that area extremely well. From firsthand experience, I know what it's like to have rocks thrown at you when you're on foot, or while in your vehicle. Another eerie feeling is seeing the red light of a laser dancing around the inside of your cab (which happened to me just east of this area), not knowing where it's coming from or if it's a cheap laser pointer or attached to a gun. Basically, they do whatever they can to drive you back & out of the area so the fence can be cut, torn down, or breached.

I backed up an agent about 100 yards east of here who had to shoot & kill a guy who was on top of the fence, throwing rocks down on him. My Bronco was also there that night.

And because this is STILL a Bronco contest, despite my trips down memory lane, here's a photo of mine, also from this weekend. You can see the area she "patrols" now is quite a bit different.

post #70 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 08:58 PM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
I'll be traveling for work the next few days so here is a brief update before I go. You get a few days rest of my spamming!

Over the New Year’s weekend I was able to try my new trailer and made the 2 hour drive down to Phoenix. Some co-workers in Jeeps plus @itwasFREE!!!! And @Quader1 showed me around the trails at Table Mesa. Table Mesa is an exit just north of Phoenix with an elaborate multi-use trail system. I feel very fortunate to live in a state where so much land is open to the public.

Here is a sequence I really like. Although you can’t tell from the pictures, the top of this climb leave you very off camber. Like spooky off camber.

post #71 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 12:36 PM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
Welcome to winter! I say that because we got about 8" of snow yesterday in the Chicago area, and I spent all morning yesterday shoveling the driveway the hard way. It wouldn't have been that bad, except for the huge pile of wet snow & ice that the snowplow shoves across the end of the driveway. I know, I shouldn't be complaining about a little bump of snow & ice on a 4x4 forum, but the wife drives a Prius & I have to make sure she continues to get to work. lol!

Anyway, here's a rare photo from the old days of a Bronco experiencing snow in the San Diego mountains. I'd show a current one of mine in snow, but strangely downstate didn't get any.

BTW, cstrike & I were chatting in IMs & were kinda curious to know if anyone else is still in this contest. It's been two weeks since anyone other than he or I have posted.

post #72 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 08:56 AM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
Last week I traced down a pesky vacuum leak and now have heat that blows thru the vents, floor or defroster. That's something that hasn't worked since I brought it home. Hey, progress is made in small steps, right?
I've really enjoyed fixing these little things as I bring this truck back to life. Somehow the small stuff is very satisfying.

I also noticed this on the repair to the firewall. The Border Patrol mechanics had radio call signs too, and they started with "M" (Mike). Obviously, this is the mechanic's signature on his masterpiece It may be possible for me to find out who made this repair. That's kinda cool (I think). Again, part of the history. It also shows that this truck went thru some severe service BEFORE the military restoration in 2000-1. Just imagine, this is the result of 3-4 years of use.

And I have to do a little questioning, because I have no idea what this means. Hopefully I can find out the answer to that mystery.

post #73 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 09:00 AM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
One of the things I've always wanted to do is to clean things up under the hood. Unfortunately, as you've seen, I have my work cut out for me. When we repaired the radiator support panel, I decided that I needed to make that a future project. The decals, for instance, were faded, ripped, stained and covered in overspray. If I ever ran across a set of new ones, I was going to get some.

I know it's a small thing, but I've repainted cars before & when you have those little detail items, it really makes a difference. Since I'm hoping to roll the truck into the shop this summer for paint, I knew I'd be wanting these eventually. It wasn't a pressing concern, but just one of those things in the back of my head.

Then I ran across a Facebook post from a guy named Dave who just made a set for his truck, and they looked great! I messaged him & he agreed to make a set for me (at a VERY reasonable price), and even had me send him photos & dimensions so everything was perfect. Honestly, I would have been happy with a set that was somewhat correct, but he made sure this matched my truck, which is a California emissions 5.0L. Anyway, I got them in the mail yesterday & couldn't be happier! Outstanding quality, and I highly recommend him to anyone who wants a set for their truck. They look factory perfect!

So these are going in the truck's receipt file until I can get some fresh paint underhood, but sometimes you just have to jump on these deals when you find them. Honestly, I don't think it would be very easy or inexpensive to find a set of NOS decals.

If anyone wants to check him out (he opened a new page for decals) search on Facebook for "OBS Ford Decals". I'm proud to say I was his first customer!

post #74 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 08:44 AM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
Here are some more pics at Table Mesa. My brother shot most of these photos with his Motorola phone and they came out great. He’s one of those ‘anything but Apple’ guys and I have to say, his phone take way better pics that my iPhone.
It started off pretty cold that morning, at least by Phoenix standards. Most of us were bundled up.

It is kind of crazy to me to think that I’ve been wrenching on this Bronco for almost 8 years and it was this month’s FOTM that finally got me to take it out on a difficult trail. Overall it performed great but the welded diffs, extra wide track width and diminished turning radius made some spots really tough.

Here is the first real obstacle and I couldn’t quite make the turn. After several attempts I realized I was holding up traffic and just went around.

Our hosts that day were two XJs and a $200k JKU. It was an interesting group. The XJs were slightly modified but not by much and they held their own. The JKU was owned by a guy who’s built buggies from scratch for years and needed something to crawl in with amenities for his wife! Pulling up the rear was a bone stock 2 door JK Rubicon. As much as I am a Bronco guy, it is unbelievable how capable a stock Rubi is.

post #75 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 11:25 AM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
It isn't all cactus and sunshine out here..... woke up to this

post #76 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 11:54 AM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
Another boring story with no pictures:

In 1998, I was sitting in my Bronco just off the highway, 6 or 7 miles north of Douglas, Arizona. It was around 2am and completely quiet, with only the sounds of insects breaking the silence. I had the ignition off, enjoying the solitude and looking out at the star-filled night. Only the occasional chatter on my handheld service radio seemed out of place, but it too was quiet at the moment.

Headlights appeared first, faint and flickering and coming from the direction of the city, which was directly on the U.S./Mexican border. Soon the sound of an engine followed, a bit rumbly as it grew louder. I started on the Bronco and waited in my hidden spot along the remote highway, watching the headlights getting closer. Seconds before the car passed directly in front of me, I switched my headlights on, giving the driver little time to react. An older model gold-colored sedan with a blue front fender sped past, riding low on its suspension. Two or three heads turned in surprise, looking over at my lights as they lit up the side of the car. The car slipped past and I heard the throttle open wide through an exhaust with a bad muffler as the driver put the pedal to the floor.

Now I have to explain that at that time, in that area, virtually any car on the road at that hour was either a "load vehicle" or an off-duty agent heading home after a long shift. I knew this wasn't an agent's car, so I wanted a closer look.

I threw the Bronco in gear, tires spinning in the dust before they grabbed onto the pavement, chirping slightly. The sedan was accelerating quickly, but I could see that it was laboring hard under its weight and the worn suspension.

The Bronco was doing its best to catch up, but obviously it wasn’t built for speed. I watched as the tail lights of the sedan grew dimmer as the car steadily increased the distance between us. The whole thing was like a slow motion chase. There was no way that I was going to catch it, and because I was the only backup unit in the area that night, I knew no one else was in a position to help. All I could do was call ahead to the checkpoint outside Tombstone and let them know to keep an eye out for the suspicious car. Maybe someone there would be able to respond.

I had followed the car for a mile or two, never gaining on it, and was just about ready to turn around when I saw the lights suddenly dip and jump. As I got closer, I could see a cloud of dust begin to settle around the car, which had gone into a low ditch and smacked into a small embankment. Both doors were open and the lights were on in the car, which was still running, but barely. The headlights on one side were out, shattered as the blue fender had been shoved back into the wheel well, jamming tightly against the tire. In addition to the body damage, the squealing and rough idle of the engine made it obvious that it wouldn’t be going anywhere, and a large green puddle underneath the engine compartment confirmed it. I pulled the Bronco up behind, activating the emergency lights as I called in on the radio. Flashlight in one hand and the other on the grip of my gun, I approached the car and looked inside for occupants. As I expected, there was no one.

Normally I’d look for “sign”, or footprints, and rush off into the brush after them. But something I saw in the back seat kept me with the car; dozens of rectangular bundles, tightly wrapped in plastic and brown tape. I knew that if I left the car, the contents would quickly disappear into the desert. I also knew that although the occupants of the car had escaped into the night, they were probably still watching me from a distance. I walked back to the Bronco and got on the radio, relaying my status and discovery, then pulled the shotgun out of the rack between my seats and stood by the running truck to wait.

What seemed like hours, but was actually only about 15-20 minutes later, other agent arrived and we pulled the bundles out of the car and secure them in the back of our Broncos. As the load was being secured, a few other agents began a fruitless search in the nearby brush for the occupants. In the end, more than 380 pounds of marijuana was pulled from the car.

Surprisingly, that wasn’t even close to the largest marijuana seizure I made, but it was the only one that happened in a Bronco.

post #77 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 04:33 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: '95, 351w, Hill Killer E4OD, SAS w/HD D44 & OX Locker, 8.8 w/Detroit, 4.56 gears and 35's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosteh View Post
BTW, cstrike & I were chatting in IMs & were kinda curious to know if anyone else is still in this contest. It's been two weeks since anyone other than he or I have posted.
Thanks for carrying this along guys! I hadn't been on for over a week and hoped to see all kinds of Bronco porn when I logged in the other day. Nope! But I was very happy to see @Ghosteh and @cstrike still participating. So I log in today and still just you two, where's the other guys!
Calling you out @deathmobile2 and @95 Bronco Wyatt
Lets see those awesome Broncos!
post #78 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
F.O.T.Y. 2017

Bronco Info: 78 W/400
Garage
Still a Couple of weeks left, Let's get to posting !!!!!!!!!!

I Know Wyatt is having issues, but @deathmobile2 Where the hell are you ??????? I figured you would be a Front Runner let's see some PORN !!!!!

And I agree @Ghosteh and @cstrike You guys have done a great job and you can tell you both want this !!! keep it coming
post #79 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 12:01 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: Rosita my 95 XLT Sport, 5.8, 33x12.5x15, 6 inch lift, factory limited slip, manual hubs
Garage
Great jobs guys keep it coming 😀
itwasFREE!!!! and Ghosteh like this.

Vote here for your Hot Next Door Bronco

https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...vote-here.html
post #80 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 12:03 PM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
Ok, time for some action photos.
Remember, this is Illinois, so don't get your hopes up. See how hard it is for me to compete with that incredible Arizona scenery? I really want to get out there someday & visit some of those cool trails you have... even if I have to avoid the difficult obstacles.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Ford Bronco Forum > Welcome > F.O.T.M Voting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode