FULL SIZE OF THE YEAR 2018 VOTE HERE!!!!! - Page 6 - Ford Bronco Forum
View Poll Results: Choose your favorite Fullsize Bronco of 2018!!!
cstrike 26 46.43%
deathmobile2 6 10.71%
Ghosteh 18 32.14%
95 Bronco Wyatt 6 10.71%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

857Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 04:43 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: '96 XLT 5.0L manual hubs, 4" Rancho lift, rock sliders, relocated shock mounts, original USBP vehicl
Garage
Look what arrived in the mail today! I did get two, front & back.
Now she'll be wearing the same plates as she did on the first day of service.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 07:01 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 86 302/AOD on 8 lugs. 96 302/ZF5.
Garage
Shoot guys, I'm out of content but here is a video that @White Dragon shared with me of the day in Sedona with the newlyweds. Thanks Tim!

post #103 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 08:51 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: '96 XLT 5.0L manual hubs, 4" Rancho lift, rock sliders, relocated shock mounts, original USBP vehicl
Garage
There were two things that you didn't want to do in a government vehicle: Get stuck or damage the body somehow. Both were a very real threat if you were actually out there doing your job, and both happened on a semi-regular basis. I guess that's why management came down on us so hard for it.

Getting stuck was extremely easy. When rain did come, the whole area was a mudhole. Most supervisor vehicles had a heavy duty winch bumper on them, and they would come give you a pull if you needed. The price of this service was ridicule on the radio immediately after you called for help, and you were expected to buy donuts for the entire shift the next day. Needless to say, when we DID get stuck, we'd work like hell to get the truck free on our own. Most guys would rather spend 4 hours digging or carrying rocks to put under the wheels than pay for donuts.

Sometimes it was unavoidable & you had to call for help. And sometimes even the supervisor's winch couldn't get you out of trouble. That's when we had to call the Sector mechanics and have them bring the wrecker out. The price was the same, but you had to include the mechanics on the donut list if you involved them.

It's amazing some of the stuff that happened out there. There were some pretty impressive "stucks" along the border.

I love this photo of my Bronco, but its condition is not at all representative of the life it lived.

The other thing was scratching or damaging the body. At the end of each shift, you drove back to the station to refill your gas tank & check-in with the "supervisor at the pumps", who made sure everyone returned from their shift. He'd also look your truck over and if any fresh damage was noticed, you'd have to note it on a "scratch & ding sheet" kept in each vehicle and also write a memo explaining how you damaged the government's vehicle. This could possibly involve a reprimand or days off if the damage was severe enough & you couldn't come up with a creative and reasonable explanation. Needless to say, most agents were very careful not to dent their trucks. You'd always walk around it and check for damage at the beginning of your shift, because if you didn't notice some damage & at the end of the night the supervisor did, you were responsible.

The funny part was that you could almost break a truck in two and get away with it, as long as you didn't dent a fender or quarter panel. We drove these things like a rental vehicle out there, ripping out transmissions, brakes, suspensions... you could drive it into the compound smoking and squeaking like hell and it was all ok and considered normal wear & tear, but you BETTER not damage the body. As in most things, the government has its own rules, and they never seem to make sense.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 08:29 AM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
Here are a few other "oops" photos. None of this was my fault!
Some of these... you just have to wonder how on Earth they happened.

Someone once PM'd me and asked if my truck was ok, because they saw a photo of a wrecked BP truck.
Yep, we're still ok. It's kinda amazing that any of these trucks survived at all!

post #105 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 09:26 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8 E4OD auto xfer/hubs
Great thread guys. Vote is in.
post #106 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 09:10 AM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
I feel like I've really been stretching to keep up my momentum here. A post about a license plate??? Stickers?? WTF Ghosteh!! How lame.
A month & a half is a really long time & requires a LOT of material. Much more than I initially thought. It would have been nice if I could have described a frame-off restoration here (because I'd really like to do that), but this is what I have.

This contest has been fun, and certainly keeps me motivated to finish a lot of those little projects on the truck that I've been wanting to finish. It's also given me a lot of ideas for future. Even though I've said that I'm keeping this truck exactly as it was when I drove it new, I keep having evil thoughts of a few mods that would be virtually invisible. I've already taken half-a-step with the Saginaw swap. What I REALLY need is another Bronco; maybe I'll sell my Chevy truck and start looking for a '78-79
One thing's for certain; you'll never see H6230 for sale as long as I'm still around.

@cstrike - you've got an awesome rig (two, actually) and I'm really envious of your garage. The "dovetail" idea is really creative & gave your truck a unique look. It's great to see you really using that beast out on the trails! Hope I can go for a ride with you someday.

@deathmobile2 - that's my absolute favorite body style of Bronco, & I'd love to have one half as nice as yours. I sure would have enjoyed hearing more from you about it.

@95 Bronco Wyatt - Love the way you use your truck! It's nice to see guys who really enjoy being out there. I also was intrigued by the rear axel truss, and your post got me researching more about those. Don't be surprised if you see me following your example.

@RicksBroncoBeast - Too bad you weren't able to participate. The 4BT project is incredibly cool! I'd love to do that with a '78. Brewing your own fuel is also really neat, and I looked into that years ago when I had a Duramax. Never did it, because I didn't have a place to do it, plus the wife would have gone ballistic! lol! Hope to hear more about your projects in the future.

So that's it for me guys. I'm going to enjoy the weekend as the start of my vacation. Have a great holiday everyone & 2019! If you see me out at an event in the future, stop by & say hello. It really would be nice to meet some of you guys in person.

post #107 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 07:52 AM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
Nice post @Ghosteh , very classy! I'm sure I speak for many others when I say you've been awesome to follow throughout this run. Beautiful truck, cool family dedication to the restoration and unique stories from the border patrol! There has been nothing else like it in these contests.

post #108 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
F.O.T.Y. 2017

Bronco Info: 78 W/400
Garage
Only 1 day left to vote for your favorite BKO so letís get the vote in !!!!!
itwasFREE!!!!, cstrike and Ghosteh like this.
post #109 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 10:27 AM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
@Ghosteh , thanks for the compliment on the garage.

Although that is a different project, my garage is such a part of my Broncoís story. Iím pretty proud to have what I do. The garage isnít huge, a slightly oversized 2 car but Iím well aware that some guys are working in their driveway so Iím not complaining.

Since I spend all my free time out there, Iíve tried to make the place feel like home and have spent a lot of time making it functional and look good. As I was reviewing some old pics, I realized they captured some of the details of the garage (and the mess I have going on too!).

post #110 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 03:52 PM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
Ho, ho, ho.....

I got up early this morning to finish up my new track bar project with the hopes of getting a few last photos before the contest ends. I even bought a cheap Santa hat but it must be for kids and I had to rip the back to get it on my head!

My wife followed me out to the staircase not far from our house. It is a balmy 48* here so we thought we'd get the dogs out of the house and mess around in the woods.

Trail head:

On the stairs:

Last edited by cstrike; 12-15-2018 at 03:58 PM.
post #111 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 03:54 PM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
post #112 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 03:57 PM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
I love pics of suspension flex:

The unmistakable tracks of a TSL Swamper:

And the way home.... love my mountain:

post #113 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 05:09 PM
FSM Lifetime

Garage

Last edited by cstrike; 12-15-2018 at 05:53 PM.
post #114 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 10:38 PM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
post #115 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 06:08 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1978 XLT Ranger; 400, AT, 37" MTR's,4.88's & Lockers,5" Deavers, No Rust & No Knicknacks!
Garage
@cstrike and @Ghosteh really put in a lot of effort and are both deserving of the win.

As for me, I had a major career change in March of this year and while I love FSB and my Bronco, I just didnít have the focus for this run nor did I have any new content to put up as I have not driven or done anything to the Bronco since the Bronco Round Up.

I have transitioned from making others a lot of money to doing so for myself, but that transition takes a lot of time, money and energy. So does a Bronco! One puts food on the table and one puts a smile on my face, so tough decisions all around!

Anyways, business is trending in the right direction and I know Bronco time is on the horizon.

That said, here is a picture of a cool willies wagon I snapped while on a business trip in a middle eastern country I was in last week.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

post #116 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 08:35 AM

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
Garage
Yo,
Tick-tock...

See my partially recovered Bronco web site. Thanks to Mr. Schwim!
Navy & DoD (retired) ... THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
Please Participate & VOTE in our Full-Size of the Month (F.O.T.M.) & Full-Size of the Year (F.O.T.Y.) Contests[/B] @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/27-f-o-t-m-voting/

Last edited by miesk5; 12-16-2018 at 08:52 AM. Reason: I forget why
post #117 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 05:06 PM

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
Garage
Yo cstrike,
CONGRATULATIONS!
A very WELL DONE to deathmobile2, Ghosteh, and 95 Bronco Wyatt ⚠️

See my partially recovered Bronco web site. Thanks to Mr. Schwim!
Navy & DoD (retired) ... THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
Please Participate & VOTE in our Full-Size of the Month (F.O.T.M.) & Full-Size of the Year (F.O.T.Y.) Contests[/B] @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/27-f-o-t-m-voting/
post #118 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
F.O.T.Y. 2017

Bronco Info: 78 W/400
Garage
Help me congratulate cstrike on his FOTY win here https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...ml#post7159024
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Ford Bronco Forum > Welcome > F.O.T.M Voting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode