FULL SIZE OF THE YEAR 2018 VOTE HERE!!!!! - Ford Bronco Forum
View Poll Results: Choose your favorite Fullsize Bronco of 2018!!!
cstrike 26 46.43%
deathmobile2 6 10.71%
Ghosteh 18 32.14%
95 Bronco Wyatt 6 10.71%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

857Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
F.O.T.Y. 2017

Bronco Info: 78 W/400
Garage
FULL SIZE OF THE YEAR 2018 VOTE HERE!!!!!

Welcome to FULLSIZE BRONCO OF THE YEAR for 2018 !!!

This year’s winning Bronco Owner/Member will receive:

* 1 LIFETIME MEMBERSHIP TO FULLSIZEBRONCO.COM
(*** Winners may accept or gift-away this prize, as they see fit.)

* 1 $200 E-GIFT at AZAUTOBODYSUPPLY.COM
(*** Special "Thanks!" to FSB Lifetime Member Quader1.)

* 1 FULL PAGE FSB/F.O.T.Y. ARTICLE IN (if not aready in) BRONCO DRIVER MAGAZINE w/a 1 YR. FREE SUBSCRIPTION
(*** Disclaimer: Bronco Driver Magazine write-up display & 1 yr. subscription offered by Bronco Driver Magazine to our winning members and are handled by the staff of Bronco Driver Magazine. FullsizeBronco.com's staff and ownership have no control or responsibility in attaining this prize, beyond our sincere apologies for any delays or hassles experienced in the past or future. 1 yr. subscription contingent on successful submission/acceptance of owner/winners detail written article, complete with multiple high resolutions pictures.)

This year’s winning Bronco will also be displayed on the F.O.T.Y. 2019 FSB Forum Theme/Banner & Home Page!!!

Your chosen contestants for FSB's FULLSIZE BRONCO OF THE YEAR for 2018:

January 2018 - @cstrike

March 2018 - @deathmobile2

July 2018 - @Ghosteh

September 2018 - @95 Bronco Wyatt

So let’s get this Awesome show rolling folks!!!!

*** This poll will automatically close on Dec. 16th, 2018. F.O.T.Y. Contestants & Members, please remember that you have all agreed to FOLLOW the: RULES FOR F.O.T.M./F.O.T.Y.
We will not tolerate abuse of this contest, our rules or your fellow contestants. Make no mistake, you can & will be disqualified!!!
Thank you & Have a nice day.

Last edited by Quader1; 12-01-2018 at 11:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 12:49 PM
F.O.T.Y. 2016

Bronco Info: 92 302 E4od 35s stak3spd monsterbox 4:88 ectedmaxf/r rcv axles hydro-assist steering sas vair
Garage
wait am I at the wrong Rodeo? Oooooooh I get it you all are still out on the trail capturing some really cool shots of your Rigs in Action. You all got some photo bomb shots for us. oh boy oh boy oh boy.
BigBlue 94 and sackman9975 like this.

At times it's best to keep one's mouth shut & be thought a fool, than to open it & remove all doubt! Abraham Lincoln
Welcome to our Addiction, where counseling consist of admitting the problem is you and your Bronco is the Cure!
Thank you for Making me FOTY 2016
post #3 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 04:56 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1978 XLT Ranger
Garage
FULL SIZE OF THE YEAR 2018 VOTE HERE!!!!!

Ok folks, I will get started.

As many of you may know, I applied for Peterson’s 4wheel & off-road ultimate adventure 2018.

While I wasn’t selected (and probably a good thing for several reasons), I was a “finalist” aka the Dirty Dozen.

This month’s issue of the magazine covered the second half of UA2018 as well as the Dirty Dozen.

While the magazine has become second fiddle to online media, it is still cool to see my rig on the glossy pages!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 09:53 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: '96 XLT 5.0L manual hubs, 4" Rancho lift & other stuff
Garage
I'm out celebrating tonight, so I better not post anything too long, or I'll regret it in the morning.
Some of you know what I'm talking about, don't you?

Anyway, I've got a very long and very cool story about my retired USBP vehicle, and I hope you enjoy it. We'll start tomorrow, depending on how tonight goes.

Prost!

post #5 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 10:59 PM
Fullsize Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosteh View Post
I'm out celebrating tonight, so I better not post anything too long, or I'll regret it in the morning.

Some of you know what I'm talking about, don't you?

Anyway, I've got a very long and very cool story about my retired USBP vehicle, and I hope you enjoy it. We'll start tomorrow, depending on how tonight goes.

Prost!

Ein beir bitta!

White Dragon and cstrike like this.

post #6 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 11:06 PM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathmobile2 View Post
Ein beir bitta!

Haha! We're gonna have so much fun this month, brotha!
post #7 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 12:49 AM
Fullsize Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosteh View Post

Haha! We're gonna have so much fun this month, brotha!

I did get tossed from the hoffbruau house!

BigBlue 94 and Ghosteh like this.

post #8 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 03:15 AM

Bronco Info: SAS Grizzly Locked Front and Rear
Hey all, I have been busy this week trying to get my grocery list of Bronco stuff done in time to bring a different project in so hopefully I can keep you entertained for a the full stretch. When we left off in September I started the rear end so we can start on that but first a teaser!

Okay Its late so Im keeping it short, I bent my 8.8 over a year ago and spun the plug welds right out of it. At the time I really didn't think much into how bad it was, so I heated up the cast welded up the tubes and slowly let it cool. To this day the welds have held up but I really should've used a jig or axle bar to be sure it was straight... Either way since the SAS was done I knew I would revisit the rear end/ suspension so here we are!

It was about mid September I went down to the local pick-a-part and swiped this 8.8 out of a F-150.

Now moving forward I wanted to do this one once and right, so after browsing around I came up with the Barnes4x4 8.8 truss. This unit was unique to me since it utilizes the 3 existing holes on the center section of the 8.8 for extra support in addition to the large cross brace.This axle also got a set of US alloy chromoly axle shafts! No c-clip eliminators but certainly peace of mind since I drive my rig from home to trail and back every trip.

Okay thats it for tonight, great start to the FOTY

Locked, Geared, SAS and ready to play
post #9 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 08:01 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 86 302/AOD on 8 lugs. 96 302/ZF5.
Garage
Hey guys!

I am so happy to be here in this contest with a great group of trucks. This is going to be a exciting contest and as said above, a lot of fun!
@deathmobile2 I am jealous of your spread in 4WOR! I’ve been an avid reader of that magazine since I was 16 (I’m 41 now) and have never progressed past reader’s rides. Nice job, I recognized you the moment I opened up that issue!

This was earlier this year when I submitted in anticipation of the contest. Unfortunately, the blurb has all kinds of incorrect info:

I’ll get started with build photos and action pics soon but first I have to share some glamour shots from last week. The leaves were at their peak here on the mountain and we had sunny 70* days. I couldn’t help but get up on the trails to take in the scenery. For anyone who thinks Arizona is only cactus and sand, check this out:

And the view from the cab…. I love how my front stinger is visible from the driver seat. It feels like crosshairs in traffic!

post #10 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 12:33 PM
FSM Lifetime

Garage

First, I'm really honored to be a part of this contest and a little overwhelmed to be included in this group of really cool off-road rigs! The love of the "breed" and mechanical abilities of you guys is truly amazing. I've been attending SEMA the last few days, where some of the best builds in the world are on display, but we all know that they're built by pros and not "real" vehicles. Although they're great, I honestly enjoy seeing & reading about the rigs here, which are used hard & loved and enjoyed like a member of the family. THAT's what I like about FSB.

I’ve always enjoyed following the FSB competitions, but to be honest I never thought my Bronco would have wide enough appeal to be competitive, and winning July was a surprise to me. You have to admit, it’s not the typical rig that you see in here, and my goals for it aren’t what most would do.

So here's what makes my Bronco story different:

- You’re not going to see incredibly beautiful locations. I live in Illinois, where corn and beans cover a good 85% of the state.
- There are no trail ride photos coming. Sorry to disappoint.
- A cool straight-axle-swap isn't part of the story. That means no amazing photos of a flexing suspension.
- The drivetrain is stock. No diesel. No big block. Even worse, it’s a 5.0 without so much as a cold air intake.
- It’s not even a chrome pavement queen, sparkling in flawless paint and high-dollar aluminum rims. It has plenty of scars.
- These days, I can’t even drive it to Dairy Queen without someone calling me a Nazi or flipping me the bird.

So this probably won’t be the most appealing rig to many people. Despite the long odds, I'm joining in on the fun & sharing why I think this is just about the best Bronco in the world. To me, this is a time machine.

In order to explain why anyone would even possibly consider this particular 1996 Bronco XLT more interesting than other Broncos, I should probably first explain the background, and what this vehicle has seen as a very visible part of the U.S. Border Patrol.

Ok, so it’s an old government truck that’s been used & abused. So what? What the heck is so special about the Border Patrol, and why would this be more interesting than time spent with a Sheriff’s Department or the Forest Service. It is, and I’ll try to explain. (And patience… I’ll get to the details on THIS Bronco soon. After-all, we have MORE than a month!)

Without a doubt, it’s the world’s greatest game of hide-and-seek, tag, and capture-the-flag, all rolled into one. It really is. But describing it in that way really undermines the extreme seriousness and danger of the job. It ignores the tragedy, drama, and emotion that can appear in an instant. Depending on the day, location, or your luck, your shift can have that rare 9 hours of quiet solitude, many miles away from anyone else, or 15 hours or more of constant activity. You go hands-on with some of the most humble, respectful people you’ve ever met one moment, and the next moment, a literal life & death fight with the most callous, dangerous thugs imaginable. You may arrest one or two people at a time, but more likely you’ll be arresting groups of 10 – 20 people regularly, with no idea who they are. You cross paths with desperate people carrying their entire life savings in a backpack as they come north to look for a better way of life, and bandits who hide in the shadows with weapons, waiting to rob, rape, or worse. And of course, the smugglers who make a living sneaking across the border with anything from hundreds of pounds of illegal narcotics, to leading a group of foreign nationals headed for jobs as dish washers and drywallers in every town across the nation.

Now here's where the story starts.

Nearly 23 years ago, I was the one packing everything I owned and traveling thousands of miles for a new opportunity. But instead of breaking the law, I was charged with enforcing it. I was a probationary agent, eager & fresh out of the academy, in a career that a few years earlier I never even knew existed. I worked "swing" shift, which gave me a little bit of daylight & a whole lot of night activity. Every day at 3pm, I went to the "muster" and listened to the daily shift briefing, checked out a shotgun or rifle, and grabbed the keys to my Bronco before leaving the compound and driving out to my assigned area of the border.

A lot of things changed over the ensuing years, most of it after 9/11. Politics intervened. Illegal traffic patterns and trends shifted. Border infrastructure was improved. New technology was added alongside the proven old ways. And the vehicles changed. There were 2-door Tahoes, replaced with 4-door models, then Excursions, followed by Jeeps, heavy-duty F250s, Ford Raptors, and on & on…

But at no time in my career were things so intense and exciting as they were in the first few years. And during that time, I drove my Bronco.

Most everyone here has an attachment to their Bronco and a story to tell, and that's what makes them cool! My Bronco’s greatest stories aren’t about a new lift kit, axel swap, or a weekend trail ride, but stories from two decades past, and about chasing drug smugglers, stumbling across the Mexican military with rifles, laying in to intercept illegal border crossers, and rescuing people in desperate need. This is stuff that REALLY happened, and was amazingly intense and serious, and occasionally altered people's lives forever. I’ll attempt to tell some of those stories, along with the more recent one of how I searched for years to find this Bronco, rescue it from certain destruction and bring it back to life, as well as what the future holds for us both. My ride is truly a work-in-progress, with the end goal of preserving a bit of Bronco & USBP history.

Thanks & I look forward to this end-of-year thread of awesome stories and photos from everyone!

post #11 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 10:27 PM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
One of the reasons I haven’t made as much progress as I had hoped between FOTM and FOTY is because I have 2 Broncos to feed! Here is big brother 86 watching as the little brother gets his SAS:

But the Big Bronco still gets to run around town for parts runs!

Here is how things turned out…. The 86 is my coil sprung trail rig, the little brother got leafs, if for no other reason I could compare the difference for myself. So many internet opinions out there, I needed to see for myself.

The dovetail rear sure helps with these poser shots!!

post #12 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 10:36 PM
JGR
Full Of Rowdy Drunks

Bronco Info: 1986 SAS'd, 37s, otherwise stock
Off to a great start! Very excited to enjoy the show!
post #13 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 02:41 AM

Happy Friday to those that consider today the start to the weekend!

Ive gotta say that Border Patrol story is really something, I cant even start to say how much I appreciate that line of work and cant say thank you guys enough for protecting our country from what can be disaster for some, especially being an Arizona native. @Ghosteh

Okay so its my turn to toot my horn, Ive finished my list of Bronco items as of tonight and couldn't be happier with the work. There for a long time I did not have time to work on the rig since the new addition to our family but I took a week off of work to get as much done as possible, after my test drive tonight Im feeling good! All the hours, blood and made up profanity pay off eventually

So any who, once the rear end was trussed up and straightened it was time for assembly. I reused my gear set since it really wasn't old and thought maybe a strike of luck would hit and wouldn't need to do anything to my ring and pinion.. eeh not the case here, ended up pulling out a ton of pinion depth to get my patterns ideal but after a while I had it right where I wanted and called it good.

This used set did show me the abuse and wear from its pattern but all and all is still in good shape and not making any noise from the rear. The lash showed me 10-14 thousandths all the way around so we are in good shape also within spec.

Now I will admit I hate crush sleeves and eventually will rid of mine but this time around I whipped up a tool that looks to be a mid evil weapon to help crush this sucker with ease, (pointer the Yukon crush sleeves are much easier to work than the Dorman sleeves)

Once the pinion preload was done 14"-20"lbs and backlash verified one more time, its on to the rest of the assembly, pretty much just axle shafts and some fresh new brakes. The hardware was all replaced at the drums and painted to prevent further corrosion.

Thats all for tonight, I hope that these DIY posts help somebody.

post #14 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 11:06 AM
Addicted to Junk

Bronco Info: 85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 Bronco Wyatt View Post

For anyone else doing this procedure, you need to add more preload to the dial indicator. That way it has ample up AND down travel for accurate measurements. It's much like a shock absorber: you need up and down travel for it to guarantee proper movement.

Otherwise, carry on fellas! Gonna be a good competition!
JGR and SRWillis like this.

309ci inline 6, 9.75:1 CR, Big Valves, ROLLER ROCKERS, Clifford intake and headers, Schneider 140H cam, DUI HEI ignition, 450 QFT 4bbl carb, Saginaw swap, FlowKooler water pump, Steel timing gears, 2.5in y-pipe into a single 3in cat and borla muffler.
post #15 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 11:17 AM
FSM Lifetime

Garage

The first government vehicle assigned to me was a 1994 Bronco, dirty and dented, and I shared it with one of my academy classmates & best friends, who worked the midnight shift. New agents were lucky if they had an assigned vehicle; the alternative was to check out a ‘pool vehicle’ for your shift, and they were by far the worst ones in the fleet. Like, spit cups left in the console, sunflower seeds all over the dash & floor, chicken bones under the passenger seat, and constant driving on dusty roads with all the windows down. No, you didn’t want a pool vehicle. Lol!

Sometime around 1998 and after Broncos were discontinued, the government started buying 2-door Chevy Tahoes and many of the senior agents jumped at the chance to have a brand-new Tahoe and gave up their Broncos. My vehicle partner & I moved up to a ’95, and later a ’96 Bronco. While neither of us was a Ford loyalist, the government Broncos were (for some unexplained reason) XLT models. My buddy & I both liked having cloth seats, carpet, and power windows more than the new Chevys, which had rubber floors, vinyl seats, and manual windows. Plus, the Broncos were MUCH better off-road. So in a way, I guess the Bronco earned my loyalty early on.

Now I have to point out that a brand-new Tahoe had considerably less rattles than a 3-4 year of Bronco that had spent all of its life off-road. Still, the Broncos were better vehicles. I drove mine for as long as I could, but eventually had to give it up when I transferred to a different office.

The first 4x4 I owned was an ’81 Jeep that I dropped a hotrod 360c.i. AMC engine into. Great fun, with horrible dependability and mileage (I was a struggling college student). So yes, I went through the Jeep phase. A few years later, I traded sideways for a Bronco II (don’t laugh), which I actually liked. But that was sold & replaced with a truck. Later, I thought I hit the big time when I bought a nearly new Jeep with air conditioning (gasp!) which was my personal vehicle when I started my Border Patrol career at age 30.

When I first started driving the full-size Bronco, I was extremely impressed with how comfortable it was, and how capable it was off-road. It was much better on both counts than my Jeep. The terrain along the U.S./Mexican border in San Diego is mostly rocky with a red dirt that turns into slick clay when wet. It varies from a few flat fields to thick canyons, and eventually turns into mountains as you move from east-to-west. In the famous southern California rainy season, the whole area was a slick, muddy mess.

Broncos did well there, climbing up the rock-strewn hillsides and down into the valleys. But the BP learned that they did even better if they had a few improvements, which also meant they broke down less, lasted longer and cost less money in the long term. So sometime in the 1990s, Broncos in San Diego were upfitted with a Rancho suspension & lift kit, larger off-road tires, and rock slider/side steps. This was unique to San Diego, and having spent time working on other parts of the border, I can confirm two things: there were a lot of differences in the way each sector configured their vehicles, and the California Broncos looked the best!

My Bronco sports the 4” Rancho lift, along with coil springs by “Baja Fabrication” (which I’ve never heard of) and a limiting strap. Originally, it had those distinctive white Rancho shocks with the red plastic dust boot, as well as a white/red Rancho steering stabilizer on the front. Those shocks and the long red trailing arms are what I remember most. (Unfortunately, I had to go with Bilsteins when I replaced mine last year. But I believe they’re a better shock.)

Those Broncos had a rough life, and the government was determined to squeeze every last bit out of them. Border enforcement wasn’t a top government priority in those days, and there wasn’t always money for new replacement vehicles. Which is why some of these Broncos were still in the field until as late as 2002.

Some. Because most suffered from extreme abuse. What would you expect when you give a young man a brand new, lifted 4x4, a full tank of gas, and send him out to the trails with the knowledge that someone else would fix anything that broke. (Best of all, we were getting PAID to be there!)

A crack in the body or firewall, caused from the constant chassis flexing, could be repaired (as was mine), but a cracked frame meant scrapping the vehicle. Because most trucks were used on two, or even all three shifts, the loss of a vehicle with no replacement was a serious problem. Late in the year 2000, the Border Patrol began an ambitious project to “restore” Broncos and give them a few more years of life. Nearly 100 out of 400+ Broncos were disassembled and rebuilt, including new crate engines, transmissions, and whatever else then needed. The U.S. Army even provided mechanics for the huge undertaking. Despite the free labor, an average of $10K was spent on each vehicle during the rebuild, and then they were sent back out to the field for round two! Several of the Broncos in the rebuild program were deemed too damaged to safely repair.

One of the interesting things that happened during the rebuild was that the military mechanics would cut the core support and bend it slightly to give them enough room to drop the new engine/trans in the chassis. This one showed those scars; the core support was cut & welded back after the rebuild. Not only was it an ugly repair, it was also a PITA because the core support was cracked at the welds when I got it, and it just got much worse over the last few years. Last week I pulled the front end off & finally repaired this mess the right way (more about that later ).

My Bronco also shows signs of a reinforced firewall, which was done on many after the metal began to split where the hood hinges mount. I have no idea how many times you have to open & close a hood before the firewall splits, but it has to be quite a few. Another body-flex issue was found in the corner of the roof, near the drip rails. Like so many others, mine has been reinforced in that area during the government rebuild.

Getting back to history, after the ambitious program to breath new life into worn out Broncos was completed and they were put back into the field, 9/11 happened. Suddenly everyone was thinking about who & what was coming into our country, and a huge amount of resources were available. The Border Patrol was only allotted so many vehicles, and with a huge amount available to buy new ones, they did what most would do and dumped the oldest ones in the fleet as quickly as possible. Twenty three surviving Broncos were sold to three wholesalers for $500 each, and quickly flipped to the public for approximately $1,500 each. Most had been driven for just a few months after the rebuild and having thousands of dollars had been spent on them. That had to be one of the best Bronco buys of the century! (And I missed it! )

This was one of the 23 Broncos that went through the government rebuild project and was sold soon after. Before being released to the public, the decals were removed, the wires to the radio and lights were cut & the equipment removed, the special-built screens and window bars that created the “cage” portion were removed, the rear seat was returned to the forward-facing position, and a pair of brand new rear seatbelts (still in the plastic bag) were tossed in the rear side pockets before the government would allow it to be sold.

My truck, fleet #H6230, found itself in Mississippi, and while I don't know exactly how it was treated, I do know that it went thru two owners, both of which used it as a “hunting vehicle”… which means it was beaten a lot and didn't see much love over the next 10+ years. That fact was evident when I first saw photos of it, but even more obvious when I saw it in person.
post #16 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 06:11 AM
The Tennessee Warden

Bronco Info: 96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, 6" lift, 4.56 gears, 35" GY MT/Rs, front locker, rear LSD, rear disc conversion
Garage
Great start gentlemen! Looking forward to the coming weeks - all worthy rigs!

MS88Bronc
Don't be fooled by the name,
1996 XL - 5.8L/E4OD/BW1356/4.56s

Sept 2019 FOTM

-->My Build Thread<--
***GO NOMINATE AND VOTE FOR FULLSIZE OF THE MONTH HERE!!***
post #17 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 10:51 AM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
99% of the content I want to share for the contest is on a desktop that isn't hooked up yet (we're tiling our office floor). So, until I get that hooked up this week, he is a video from last weekend coming home from the mountain. There is a rock garden at the base of the trail and I couldn't resist testing my sliders!

Before anyone gives me crap, you'll see the cage jump because it isn't bolted in. I'm not real happy with the aesthetics of this cage and am having creative 'writer's block' on what to do with it to make it look better. I might just pull it out for now.

Last edited by Quader1; 11-04-2018 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Fix video
post #18 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 04:21 PM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
About eight years ago, I started thinking about the old Broncos that I drove along the border, and that it would be nice to find one. About the same time, I met a group of local guys in the Chicago area who own & restore vintage police cars, and went to one of their events. As soon as I saw that, I was hooked! So I started looking for a Border Patrol Bronco. Two years later, I joined this forum, and was still searching. I did find two, but they weren't for sale and almost entirely unrecognizable with extreme modifications. I began to think there just weren't any left that could be saved.

I was just about to the point of "cloning" one; making a copy of an original using a decent donor. Honestly, it would have been cheaper going this route, but it wouldn't have been "right." I didn't want to duplicate something. I wanted to preserve a piece of real history, even if it only was significant to me and a handful of friends. I knew I'd never be satisfied with something that just looked the part, but didn't have the soul and spirit. So I kept looking for my war horse.

My lucky break came from a posting on a forum for federal agents, when someone mentioned a month prior, he had seen an ad for an old Border Patrol Bronco on Craigslist's Mississippi site. I was told it still had the green stripe and was $2500, but he didn't remember much more.

It didn't take long to find the ad online, although the price had dropped to $1500. I called the guy and we talked about the Bronco & the condition. He texted several photos, and when I looked at them, I was thrilled to see the ghost outlines of the old decals, including the fleet number and the 3 letter code which designated the station it was assigned when it was in service. It wouldn't have meant anything to anyone else, but I was completely stunned when I saw the H6230 on the fenders and CHU on the tailgate!

But it was rough, and I was under no illusions. I knew it was going to be a project.

These faded outlines are what really sealed the deal for me.
I IMMEDIATELY recognized the fleet number and station code!

I called the seller back and told him that I'd take it, but I needed him to hold it for a few weeks until I could get there to pick it up. He asked where I was coming from, and when I said "Chicago" there was silence on the phone for a moment. Then he slowly said "... well, I'm going to need a deposit." I chuckled and agreed to send him half now, and the other half when I picked it up. It's curious how the money makes things work easier.

A check was sent the same day, and a week or so later, he sent me the title. Now I just had to get a truck & trailer and drive the 800+ miles to get it.
post #19 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 08:40 PM

Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer
Garage
4BTBB must bow out...

Hello fellow Bronco Friends… Fist of all I want to say thanks to the one who voted for me already, very humbled.

I have to say I was very honored to win the May 2018 FTOM. Even then I was very busy but I was barely able to squeak out enough time to manage the high level of concentration and posts to keep up with the awesome group I was competing with. Since then I have a brand new baby, I am super busy learning how to be a high school automotive teacher on my second year and now my auto shop of 18 years received a must move by December letter a couple months ago and now we are diligently trying to get everything moved over and running at the new location. As life goes, I am full up to the gills and I do not think I can maintain the level I would need to compete to win. This is a great group of soldiers and I it will still be a blast without my BK. I wish I could have bowed out and allowed @jermil01 to compete in my place, but the rules do not allow that. I will be peaking in throughout the process and I will be voting for someone other than myself. Good luck to the rest of you and may the BEST BRONCO win…

1996 Eddie Bauer Bronco Beast: Powered by a 4BT Cummins Diesel, 37" BFG BAJA TA's, Atlas 4 Transfer Case, HUMVEE 24 Bolt Wheels with Trail Fab Beadlocks, RCV Front TTB Axles, 5.5" SuperFlex Suspension, Lockers Front and Rear, Custom Front and Rear Bumpers, Monstaliner Bedliner Paint Job...
Vote RicksBroncoBeast May 2018 F.O.T.M.
post #20 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 10:03 PM

Sorry to hear you cant make the competition @RicksBroncoBeast , see you out on the trail in due time Im sure!

Okay so in addition to wrapping up a fresh rear end it was time to revisit the rear suspension, being on a budget this year I had found a set of leafs from a local wrecking yard that had some work done, it was obvious they had been arched. Prior to starting the new rear end I put these new/used leafs in and removed the 2.5" blocks and anti wrap bar, the ride was outstanding but the performance had room for improvement. The leaf pack was 5 leafs so I had just removed 1 of the 5 that was 1/4" thick, it drastically improved performance and didn't kill the ride! I dont have any pictures but the leaf packs where torn down cleaned up, lubed up and reassembled. Now its ready for the new axle, the Ubolts are now upgraded to 5/8" as well.

Finally its time to get the Bronco out of the garage!

Funny, with the tires aired down it can driven it in and out of the garage but the garage door seal drags all the way across the top.

Time for a little test drive, nothing spectacular but not far from the house we have some open desert and mounds of rock or dirt dumped no 4 wheel drive needed here just get to see that I'm getting the full range of travel with the new leaf setup.

Thats all for tonight FSB

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Ford Bronco Forum > Welcome > F.O.T.M Voting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode