918Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 03:16 PM
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.

Bronco Info: 1996 EB
Garage
Punish Me, I Mean .. PunishER

We had a great time this morning playing at the car show. But we always need to be balancing play time with work time.

Over the holiday break, my son was home from college and he helped me a ton with auto repairs. I have 5 vehicles (including the 2 my kid's drive) to maintain. As you know when you do all of your own repairs it can get out of hand sometimes. After we did the required stuff CV joint, transmission leak, brakes and some body repair on the other cars, we decided to do an upgrade to the Bronco.

I always seem to have this pile of upgrades laying around, that I snagged as good deals, but just haven't had time to get to. The Punisher Valve body was one of these.

Pretty...

My son taking the bolts out of the pan:

Fluid looks pretty good to me

All wiped down

Pulling stock valve body:

Old vs new (I know the cores are identical, they better be-lol)

Drip, drip, drip

Getting the Filter out

Installing the new one:

not too often you work in inch\lbs

Not super exciting but getting the new fluid in

Aside from the messiness of dropping the pan, and the pain in the pocketbook of replacing 16 quarts of ATF, this is a super simple upgrade.

It did take a while for the computer to relearn its shift points (I really disliked the hard shifts during that time) but now the shifts are firm and smooth.

I admit I had my doubts but this was a great upgrade!

1996 Eddie Bauer 351W/E40D/Dana 44, TTB R 8.8 (4.56 F&R), 6" Lift, 35x13.50 Toyo MTs, sag PS, 1 ton brakes, off-road bumpers, Warn 15K, Edelbrock intakes, lots 'O lights.
Build thread: http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=352625
Supermord site: http://www.supermotors.net/registry/26920
July 2016 F.S.O.T.M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 04:03 PM
Fullsize Member

I'll admit I voted before even reading the posts as I had seen HCodi's build up and was a HUGE (Donald Trump voice) fan. I've stated it on there already but great job, your ingenuity and persistence are something to be admired.
79BroncoSpringTx likes this.

1979 Ranger XLT 4bt Dana 60 front 80 rear M50D-R2 NP205
post #43 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 06:34 PM
Jan'19 F.O.T.M.

Bronco Info: 1978 Ford Bronco Ranger XLT 400 V8 6.6L
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtwow View Post
I'll admit I voted before even reading the posts as I had seen HCodi's build up and was a HUGE (Donald Trump voice) fan. I've stated it on there already but great job, your ingenuity and persistence are something to be admired.
That is so nice of you curtwow, thank you!

1978 Ford Bronco XLT

Everything in the 70's was so much better!

Visit my built thread here!

Jan'19 F.O.T.M.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 09:07 AM
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.

Garage
Sometimes Great Bargains are Not so Great...

Sometimes good deals don't always work out the way you would expect them to. Bargain hunter me found what now seems to be the holy grail of 351 mods. A used Edelbrock upper and lower intake. Like many of my Bronco projects, it sat in the basement for quite a while.

I must have raised my son right. For his birthday he could have chosen to do a bunch of different things, hiking, shooting, wheeling, etc. but he wanted to install the new intake in the truck. Gotta love that kid!

I was super impressed with the effort my son put into getting them all cleaned up. They looked nearly brand new by the time he was done.

There was a whole separate soap opera with UPS actually getting these boxes delivered to my house and the condition the arrived in was pretty sad.

Lower Intake

Upper intake

Part of the reason for the intense cleaning is that we wanted to copy an idea I got from another FSB member here GADAWGZ71. I really liked the paint scheme he did on his intake. As with any great idea, why not "borrow" it.

Primer

more primer

lower intake black!

upper

another shot of upper

This was the tough part. At first, we couldn't figure out how to do a decent job of taping off the lettering and lines. We ended up just spraying some into a cup and using a paint brush to hand paint it. It actually worked out pretty well.

From a distance, it looks fine. If you get close up you can see the brush marks and the unevenness of the coat. But this is not a Picasso.

After the paintwork, we started tearing into things. All was going as planned UNTIL...

We broke both front bolts on the lower intake. Those things just snapped like twigs with hardly any pressure on them at all. The only thing worse (at the time) was that it could have been the back bolts. The truck has been garaged nearly its entire life, you would think the bolts would have been in better shape. Here is everything out:

What to do now?

We started by drilling out the bolt and are using an EZ Out. After a lot of time, energy, and more than a few cuss words, all we accomplished was breaking the EZ out.

I did some research and everything I read about breaking an EZ out in the heads required pulling the heads and taking them to a machine shop. UGH... By some stroke of luck, we had drilled the bolt all the way through and we were able to use an air tool with a pointed tip and shatter the EZ out inside the hole. The broken pieces just fell out the bottom, but the broken bolts were still an issue.

We messed around with it for a few more hours but never did the bolt out. We ended up just re-tapping the hole. Still with one more broken bolt to deal with.

Here are the factory upper lower vs. Edlebrock upper lower:

Here is the lower intake test fitted:

Here is the upper intake test fitted. Looks pretty sharp hiding in there. I wish we were as far along as this pic makes you think we are

Things continued to go downhill for us... We spent more time (as in hours and hours) working on getting the last bolt out. At the end of it all, we just messed up the hole so much that it was no longer usable.

ARGH!!!!!!!

Frustrated beyond imagination we turned our attention elsewhere.

"Lucky" us, we have a 96. If you try and spec out this intake at any store you will find that it says it only fits up to 95 model years. It's only because the firewall is in the way.

The yellow grease pencil line is where we had to "adjust" the firewall. Probably not the best solution and I bet we risked breaking things we didn't even think about, but we just pounded on it with BFH until we got the clearance we needed.

Painted the fire wall

Yet another reason this project sat so long is that I had also read that it was a good time to match up a better TB. I found a decent deal on one. We decided to glitz up the BBK to match the intake

So here we are pretty deep into the engine, the heads are jacked up. What will we do?
Try and salvage these?
Buy new ones?
Junk the entire truck?

The suspense is killing me, BUT we will just have to come back this afternoon to see how it all turns out!!

1996 Eddie Bauer 351W/E40D/Dana 44, TTB R 8.8 (4.56 F&R), 6" Lift, 35x13.50 Toyo MTs, sag PS, 1 ton brakes, off-road bumpers, Warn 15K, Edelbrock intakes, lots 'O lights.
July 2016 F.S.O.T.M

Last edited by 96bronco; 01-17-2019 at 09:10 AM. Reason: spelling
post #45 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 01:11 PM
Jan'19 F.O.T.M.

Garage
What? Not the engine!

It seems we are going to talk about engines now Let'ts do this!

After doing some work on the Bronco replacing the water pump, timing chain cover and some other small stuff, it happened... the engine failed. I was driving back home on the freeway and noticed that the engine was making a tapping noise. Long story short, one lifter broke and it was really loose and two others were almost broken too. Most of the spark plugs were in really bad shape too and unfortunately, water got in the engine as well so the whole thing was a mess.

I almost gave up when this happened. It was very frustrating to face this, especially when I was promised by the seller that the engine had already been rebuilt and that it was in great shape.

After much consideration, I ended up taking the engine to a rebuilder. I was never going to give up on this.

The engine being pulled out (so much easier without the front radiator support):

The goo in the timing chain cover is due to the amount of water that got mixed with the oil:

One of the bad spark plugs:

And because one thing always leads to another, after removing the engine I noticed that the transmission had a big leak coming from the area where the Torque Converter is. Initially Ziggy thought it was just the seal but after replacing it still kept leaking so we decided to pull the transmission and since we were at it the transfer case as well. There was a huge thick layer of mud covering them both.

The C6 kept leaking even after replacing the front seal:

A thick layer of mud and crap:

Transmission already cleaned, everything was fine except for some smaller components like the external switch:

Ziggy installed a magnet at the bottom of the transmission pan and also a drain plug, so oil changes in the future will be much easier.

The transfer case was fine even tho I had found a small metal piece coming from the inside. That just proves how tough these transfer cases are.

Here is a picture of the NP205 completely disassembled:

And back together ready to be installed:

While all this was out, I took the time to clean everything out and recoat the frame, firewall and undercarriage. Little I knew this was going to be such a PITA. Between the thick layers of mud, the rust and the Rhino coating that the PO had put in there, It took lots of several passes with Purple Power degreaser and a pressure washer as well as of lots of elbow grease and scrapping.

This is already after removing the rhino coating and doing 3 or 4 passes of degreaser:

Testing the product Corroseal on the frame:

This is a picture of the frame with urethane primer applied right after 24h of the application of the Corroseal:

Final pass with a 2k chassis black from Eastwood:

There was a gap between the top and bottom parts of the cabin. I had to remove the old seal, apply a new primer, new seal and then recoat it:

The dark blue on the firewall is because that is the color I want to paint the Bronco when it is all done. The PO had painted it white, but it was originally blue. I am using an original Ford color, the Dark Metallic Blue.

While I was tinkering with all this I got an update from the shop. The rebuilding process was going well. I did not go too crazy with it, and except from adding an RV Camshaft everything else went back to stock. I had them install a high volume oil pump, brass freeze plugs and the RV Camshaft was from Enginetech, model number ES1085R. This are the specs of the Camshaft:

It was confirmed that the lower block had been rebuilt before, it was 30 over. And the crank had also been reground at some point by the PO and was 10,10 on the mains and rods.

So my rebuilder rebored the block at 60 and ground the crank at 20,20. The seats and valves were in good shape and didn't need replacement. The heads were also good with no cracks after Magna fluxing them. This will be the last time this block will be rebuilt, further than 60 it is not recommended.

Here some pictures of the rebuild process:

At that point the engine was ready to be picked up and my engine bay was looking really nice and ready to receive it! Here it is already back in place:

The process of removing and then reinstalling the engine, the transmission and the transfer case is a bit complicated. I had Ziggy helping me with this (or more like me helping him) and even tho he had done it on his own with his Bronco in the past I do recommend it to be a 2 men job at least. Assembling back the engine and aligning it with the transmission housing ideally requires 3 people and it's really hard. But luckily we managed to put it back on our second attempt. The key is to align the bolt in a similar fashion before starting and hanging the engine on the hoist in such a way so it is not front heavy.

So everything was back in place and it was time for the break-in process! And luckily it went well. We followed the instructions to a T and had no issues:

1. Put oil on the filter and install it. Then add ZDDP Zinc Additive to the conventional oil following manufacturer instructions.
2. Use a prime tool with a drill to engage the pump and lubricate all the motor components.
3. Disconnect the Ignition Coil from the distributor and crank the ignition a bunch of times to help the oil get everywhere some more. You will see the oil pressure gauge go up until it gets to 30-40 lbs of pressure.
4. Reconnect the Ignition Coil and turn on the engine. Leave it on idle for a little bit. It might make a little bit of noise (especially the lifters or tappets) but it should go away.

Time now to adjust the timing.

5. Press the gas pedal up to 1,500 rpm for 30 seconds and then back to idle for a bunch of times for 30 mins.
6. While doing all this, keep checking all the gauges (oil pressure and temperature) and check for leaks (coolant, oil or vacuum).
7. Drive it on the street for a little bit checking all the gauges and for any possible leaks. Making starts from 0 to 35 mph and then stopping helps the vacuum (basically normal driving on the street stopping at traffic lights).
8. Drive it on the freeway (on the slow lane) trying not to stay at the same rpm, varying the speed from 50 to 65 to 45 to 60. This helps the rings settle.
9. Recheck for leaks. If everything is fine, you are good to go.

The engine was now sounding smoother than ever and things were really looking good under the hood, and really was starting to feel so proud of all the hard work. Here is a comparison of the engine bay from when I originally got the truck til after the engine rebuilt:

And here some detail pictures:

This was probably one of the scariest and at the same time most rewarding moments in the whole build of this truck. I meant to give up many times, but something kept me going, maybe it was my passion for this truck or maybe I am just stubborn and I wanted this damn thing to work! :)

Thank you for reading!

1978 Ford Bronco XLT

Jan'19 F.O.T.M.
post #46 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 03:35 PM
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.

Garage
Burn it to the Ground!

This morning we left off with both me and my son needing to take a break, clear our heads and resist burning the truck to ground in frustration. At least it would be useful as a bonfire. Maybe get some hotdogs and marshmallows! lol

So obviously we didn't really do this, but I admit it did cross our minds. We started with a perfectly fine running Bronco that didn't need anything and had now turned it into an immobile time suck & money pit.

With clearer heads, we weighed our options:

-We could send out these heads to be machined and see if they were salvageable
-Buy new stock heads
-Go with aftermarket heads

The first choice was not really a choice IMO, even if we could save them, the cost of doing so just didn't make sense.
The second choice was the safe choice, but not super exciting and didn't take advantage of all the disassembly work we had done.
Which brings us to the 3rd option. I am always keen on "improving" (aka finding an excuse to upgrade) the Bronco.

We dug into this option. It didn't take long to determine that we had the potential to spend a lot of money really fast and probably would not really take advantage of the money we spent unless we paired it with even more work- aka a new CAM etc. Pouring over FSB we finally settled on what we think was a happy medium. GT40 heads

I found a reasonably priced set and ordered them.

After a brief discusion\scare that we also needed new rollers, it turned out what we had would work just fine.

You can use either G40 or the GT40P heads and there is much discussion about which to go with. I knew I only wanted to tackle the GT40 upgrade.

Some say you have to ream out the bolt holes but I didn't, bolted right up. However, you do have to change out your spark plugs

With newfound enthusiasm in actually fixing something and not destroying it further, we got the old heads off. Everything looked pretty clean, not surprised as I baby this truck when it comes to routine maintenance.

We are this deep might as well replace the timing chain.

Getting it all put back together...

My OCD and attention to detail are on full display here. The Edelbrock sits much higher than the stock intake resulting in the support bracket being too short. Most write-ups people just leave the bracket off.

You guessed it, I extended mine. You can see I added 3+inches to it.

Its hard to get a good shot of it installed but you can see it tucked back in there:

After all this work I remember thinking wow she idles fantastic, smooth as glass. Even to this day I will catch myself at a stop light and wonder for half a second if the truck is still running or not.

SO HOW ABOUT THE PERFORMANCE?!

DRUM ROLL...

I know you all have been waiting to read about how much more power I have, and that the truck pins me to the back of my seat when I hit the gas, how I recommend everyone run out and do the exact same thing.

Sorry to have to burst that bubble.

In terms of performance, I was underwhelmed. Maybe my expectations were too high but I expected way more of an improvement. If I had to do again I wouldn't.

After it was all said and done we replaced or did the following:
-Edelbrock 3881 intake system (upper & lower)
-Gt40 heads
-BBK 56mm Throttle Body
-Gen3 4 port injectors
-New spark plugs
-New 8mm spark plug wires
-New cap and rotor
-New timing chain.
-New seals and bolts all around
-Also replaced the AC clutch as I broke the connector. (I know rookie mistake)

Thanks for spending time reading...

July 2016 F.S.O.T.M

Last edited by 96bronco; 01-17-2019 at 03:38 PM. Reason: spelling
post #47 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 10:12 AM
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.

Garage
The Juice is Loose!

Whew!!! Its Friday, yesterday was sure stressful with all the problems we had with the engine. Let's kick back and enjoy and a nice relatively trouble-free upgrade to the Bronco and end the week on a high note!

We had always toyed with the idea of a dual battery setup, but honestly, the need just wasn’t there, until the sound system bug hit us. You might have noticed by now that we just keep adding and adding power draws to the Bronco. With my new interest in vehicle recovery, I can totally see me running the winch and the lights at the same time.

-15K winch
-6 130W auxiliary lights
-2 backup pods (we haven’t talked about these yet)
-CB with external speaker (haven’t talked about it either)
-4x100w amp
-1100w amp

What is your guess on if the stock 95amp alternator is up to the task of powering all of these?
How about all of them at once?
Yeah, probably not.

As with most of the upgrades we do to the Bronco, we at least go “all in”, and if I am being honest “overboard”. Let’s see how a dual battery project goes…

I will start by saying this is one EXPENSIVE upgrade by the time it’s all said and done. I did manage to find some holiday coupons and discounts on the tray, batteries, and alternator. but they are still pricey and the wire and all the connectors really add up fast. Given this, I collected pieces over time.

Upgraded wiring to handle the 200amp alternator

Dual Optimas:

Ruff Stuff battery tray: Shown painted so that it doesn't rust so fast.

I went with:
-Powermaster 200 amp alternator
-RuffStuff dual battery tray
-Optima yellow topsx2
-1/0 wiring for positive and negative cables
-4 gauge for alternator power (recommended by PowerMaster) I later had to go back and upgrade this again to 2 gauge.
-250amp fuse
-Napa for all my cable terminals and connectors

Nice pile of parts:

First thing was to get the stock battery tray out. As is typical with a 20-year-old truck it's a bit rusty:

Stock Tray out. I know- dust and mud everywhere, what can I say, we use it too!!

OCD me took the time to clean the mount and paint it.

The RuffStuff tray fits like a glove. No, I really mean that, it could not be any tighter in there:

Stock alternator vs new:

My son drilling the holes:

The two bolts on the bottom of the tray that we had to drill holes for. It took a bit of measuring but we managed to line them up with the stock mounting holes.

Painted the bolts while we were at it. They also line up nicely for the spaces under the battery so the Optimas still sit flat:

The fender mount is about an inch away from the wall, so we made a trip to the bolts isle at Home Depot and came up with this to secure it:

you can see it from a side view here:

Test fitting the Optima's:

Example of the connectors and wiring:

Doing the project was timely. We discovered that the relay was cracked and with just a little force, it completely broke off. We would have hated to be in the backcountry somewhere. We do carry a spare in my parts box but honestly, I dislike trail repairs. I’d much rather do it in the garage.

Stock Alternator wire vs. the 4 gauge upgrade:

We even managed to salvage the nice rubber boot and get it to fit on the bigger wire. We did have to grid on the edges of the fitting to get it to work. Later on, this wire would prove to not be up to the task. It got hot enough to melt the sheathing on it. We upgraded it again to 2 gauge and no issues since.

Pile of wiring protection:

My son the wiring GURU:

Stock setup right, new wiring left:

Old connectors on right, new ones on the left:

Picture of the frame and engine ground. We have built the engine to frame, still working on the battery to frame side. Stock setup has a weird crimp over a section of wire that has been sheathed. It tends to get dirty and corroded fast:

Getting fuse wired up:

New Alternator. Completely unplanned but the Powermaster tag matches my paint job on the intake. I know I know OCD:

Looks about right:

A couple of pictures of the batteries wired up:

This is probably a good place to talk through Parallel vs Series. Long story short we decided that Parallel was the right choice for us. We wanted "double" the capacity for the big draws we have. We toyed with Series but its more complicated for one and two we just really didn't see a need to essentially have a spare battery sitting around. Better to make use of both of them all the time.

Boy, let me tell you what a BIG difference this project made. I barely touch the ignition and the truck fires right up, every time! My son has taken the truck to a few bonfire parties and he can provide tunes to the group for hours. The auxiliary lights no longer cause the headlight to momentarily dim when turned on. ETC ETC..

LOVE LOVE LOVE the improvement!

I feel better knowing I have a strong foundation for my electrical system.

July 2016 F.S.O.T.M

Last edited by 96bronco; 01-18-2019 at 10:14 AM. Reason: As usual, I can't spell
post #48 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 03:16 PM
Jan'19 F.O.T.M.

Garage
AC/Heat Restoration, entering uncharted territories...

This is a fun post because there are no references on any manuals or online on how to completely restore the whole Heat Assembly, vents and AC. So I hope this helps other people in need to restore all these components.

My fan wasn't quite working and every time I turned it on, a really bad smell would come out of the vents and lots of particles and dust. Also, almost 90% of the AC components were missing. No Evaporator, no condenser, no compressor... I think the only original ac component I had were the controls hahaha

Let's go step by step.

HEATING ASSEMBLY

I completely disassembled and cleaned every component. I might have had a mice living inside the system at some point because it was pretty disgusting. All the foam was falling apart and needed replacement and all the insulation was either gone or decomposing.

This is how disgusting it was before. I think mice lived in there. As a matter of fact, we had some mice problems at our house right after bringing the Bronco to our home. Is it possible that the mice tagged along 1,000 miles with us all the way from Idaho??

And here are all the components laid out after being cleaned and re-foamed:

I decided to seal all the ducts with red RTV:

The front part of the heater assembly was a challenge because the cover originally had some rivet nuts.

When removing them by drilling them, the heat eventually made the holes bigger.

This is the cover with the insulation and the metal plate out of the way, the insulation was falling apart and contaminating the whole heat assembly:

I went to a hardware store and got some cheap aluminum insulation and I was going to put some of the leftover foam under it.

I am not sure if it is supposed to shield against the outside or the inside or both, but this is where this insulation goes. The blower motor cage is basically sitting against it and on the outside the metal cover facing the engine:

The other side with new foam all nice and clean:

To put it back eventually I decided to use some small bolts with lock nuts. I also put some insulation around the unit the way it originally was.

The inside part of the heat assembly with the blower motor, the heat core (which I replaced for a new one) and the evaporator (which was missing like I mentioned earlier):

I decided to replace the inside insulation for an aluminum foil one rather than the jute one that was originally there which was all falling apart:

This is something that I am not sure if it will work. An attempt of having a filter for the cabin air system by placing a filter (which I custom cut) in the cabin air inlet (or whatever that is called):

Hope it works. If it does, it will be a bit difficult to replace tho. I was thinking of building a new assembly that could accept some sort of standard filter and this might be one of my future projects for the truck. Time will tell.

AC

I made this poll asking about what route to go with the AC. And I ended up deciding to install this kit from Original Air. It converts to 134a, uses a quieter compressor than the York and claims to save some horsepower and fuel economy between other things.

I got a bit nervous about installing all this by myself especially those o-rings and the hoses. You have to be very careful not contaminating the system.

For clamping the hoses you need a special tool. Sorry I wasn't able to take pictures of that process, but it is pretty straight forward anyways.

In terms of contamination, everything except for the Evaporator has been replaced so it should be ok. I still need to charge the system, but I will report once it is all up and running.

Installing the condenser and dryer:

The bracket ready for the new compressor:

It was so much easier to do all this without the front grill shell:

After all was done I wasn't getting much air coming from the fan in the cabin and the blower motor was sounding a bit weird everytime I engaged it. oh man, really?

And guess what? I had the wrong blower motor fan! The PO must have been messing with this before.

But it was great that when I restored the whole heater box assembly I didn't use rivets to seal back the box, I used small bolts and nuts. So I was able to replace the fan without removing the whole assembly by simply unscrewing the bolts. :)

Here are the two blower motor fans. The black one is a correct AC one for my set up, the silver one is the non-AC one that the PO installed for some reason.

As I mentioned earlier, I still have to charge the system, but it is all in place ready to go!

Thank you again and I hope you all have a great weekend!

1978 Ford Bronco XLT

Jan'19 F.O.T.M.
post #49 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 04:56 PM
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.

Garage
Sometimes Size Does Matter

Sorry for the delay in getting my second post up today. It's snowing pretty good here in CO so I beat feet home from work to avoid the Friday + rush hour + snow traffic.

So the dual battery post took some time to get put together and some time (ok a lot of time) to read I am sure...

I wanted to lighten the reading with a funny story.

Here in Colorado, we have stupid emissions tests (ask me how I really feel) that we have to do every couple of years. Aside from it being highly annoying to go get your vehicle tested (ask me how I really feel) and a scam to get more money from me (again, ask me how I really feel). The most annoying part is that they think everyone drives Prius or something and only have the capability to test up to 33" tires. (one more time ask me how I really feel)

What to do?

How about this?

Pretty funny looking but it works. So to bring this story around to the title. I posted this picture on social media and a certain woman (who will remain nameless) commented:

"Apparently Size Does Matter"

I found it pretty darn funny. Feel free to use this picture anytime the "size matters" topic comes up.. LOL

I feel a little stupid for not thinking of it myself but my son actually came up with the idea of how to bypass the entire drive to the testing center altogether.

In addition to the testing centers that you pay $26 to have your vehicle tested, they also have roadside testing on the freeway on-ramps etc. Every other year near emissions time he just drives around until he finds one and gets us tested for FREE!

Have a great weekend everyone and I'll get working on tomorrows post!

July 2016 F.S.O.T.M

Last edited by 96bronco; 01-18-2019 at 04:59 PM. Reason: added photo
post #50 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 07:24 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer
Garage
Randomness

In reading thru this forum, its apparent that our Broncos are a big part of our lives. Even at 10mpg, I drive mine back and forth to work because we all enjoy being able to go from this

to this

This is Nemo located near Wartburg, TN. Nemo is a mild place to go, but its fun. This is an old abandoned railroad tunnel that is about a mile long. I grew up around here and one of my first trips to this place was in my Uncle's 1966 Bronco. (He still has it, bone stock 6cyl, 3 speed) He put me and my cousin out because we were talking smak and daring each other to walk thru this tunnel. We kept his taillights in view but man that was a long mile.

Decades later I took the family thru this tunnel in our Bronco and the water came into the floor because it was deep. Since this tunnel has a gravel bottom getting stuck isn't really a fear. but I still locked these in..

I swapped in these Warns before I lifted it and added the MT's. Dad borrowed it back a few years ago. Now here is the problem, when he first bought it back in 98, the process of going into 4wd consisted of pushing the transfer case button on the dash. I didn't mention the warn MANUAL hub swap …...so when he needed to go into a field on his farm......he pushed the transfer case button and promptly got stuck. I am sure he felt like this towards me

We all tailor our Broncos to suit our lifestyles. We make mods based on what we want our trucks to do, comfort or jobs or just because. This is my medic bag that I picked up at the Special Operations Medic Association conference down in Tampa in '11. I need a place to better store it.

I looked at this

but I would prefer a storage system that had a spot that would secure this bag since I travel with it and have stopped to help folks. Everything from my pinstripes, 96bronco's front bumper and HCodi's awesome frame prep work and coating just show how versatile our vehicles are and how much they mean to us.

Have a great evening
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190103_044923.jpg (66.1 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 20190101_082843.jpg (217.8 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg 20190101_082601.jpg (224.0 KB, 92 views)
File Type: png nemo-tunnel-entrance-1.png (42.4 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190118-185927_Amazon Shopping.jpg (97.9 KB, 91 views)
post #51 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 01:05 PM
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.

Garage
Saturday, Play

Morning fellow Bronco Fanatics!

I had to get some snow moved off the sidewalks and driveway this morning, but rest assured I didn't forget about getting a post up for you guys.

So its Saturday, and in thinking about what to post today, it got me thinking about Saturdays with the family, they are usually either a wrenching day with my son, outdoor activity with the family, or ugh chore day..bleh.

Since we have been talking wrenching most of the week and nobody wants to read about chores, that leave me with outdoor activities.

I thought you guys might enjoy seeing some of the wheeling trips the Bronco has taken us on.

Hacket Gulch:

7-Mile:

Webster Pass:

Rampart Range:

I hope you all enjoyed the tour and have a great Saturday, time to get out with the family!

July 2016 F.S.O.T.M
post #52 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 10:27 PM
Jan'19 F.O.T.M.

Garage
Ziggy

Today I went to Ziggy's house because I needed help with my carburetor. I have been having a few issues with my Motorcraft 2150. He has rebuilt so many of these that I am excited to go to his place and learn how to do it myself.

It has been a long day, left with the sunrise...

and came back with the sunset.

But I am not going to talk about carburetors today. I want to dedicate this post to him, the one person in this forum that has helped me immensely. He does not like pictures so I do not really have many.

Ziggy is a Veteran. He was a mechanic in the Marine Corps specialized in Helicopters, specifically the CH53, a heavy-lift transport helicopter that looks like this, how badass is that?

He was deployed three times in Kuwait and one in Iraq. I can not even imagine how that was, he does not really talk much about it, and I respect that. I really feel honored to count with his help.

Thank you and all the other vets reading this for your service.

He is a family man, a father, a husband, a man of values, a bit old school and sometimes a bit grumpy. He is the type of person that you go to when something breaks because he always has the right tool and the right solution. He is the type of person you can rely on. He is very reserved tho, and some might say that because of that maybe he isn't that popular and perhaps that is the reason he never won the F.T.O.M. in this forum. But he so well deserves it.

Me on the left next to my 78 and Ziggy on the right next to his 79:

Sometimes, I feel like Tim the Tool Man Taylor (always screwing things up) and he is Al Borland (the only one that really knows what's up) hahaha I do say nonsense all the time or screw things such as not tightening enough something, like it happened today... but that will come later.

Every now and then he texts me: "You haven't bugged me in a while, what is next on your list?" And I immediately stop any other plans I have and I take whatever day he is available to work on Bruce as much as we can.

It is really hard to find generous people like him in this world, willing to share not only the immense amounts of knowledge he has given me but also his time, which pretty much these days is about the most valuable asset we have.

And I feel that this is how it used to be back in the day. Neighbors helping neighbors. Without fighting or keeping things with each own. We have become a society of individualism, and technology in that sense hasn't helped much but rather has alienated us. I am not going to get pessimistic about this, because it also has a good side. It is thanks to technology and the Internet that we can enjoy this awesome Forum! But still we are missing something, and I am just glad there are still people around like Ziggy from whom we can learn. I just hope one day I will be able to do the same, because even if I manage to be a quarter of the man he is, I would be very happy.

This story is such an example of how amazing this forum is and how it can bring people together.

I know this is a competition and the three contestants here we are all trying to get some votes with each post, but I honestly feel that I already won because I have my Bronco running thanks to him and this Forum.

But If I do win, I want him to get the prize, he deserves it.

Thank you Ziggy and thank you all the members of this Forum.

1978 Ford Bronco XLT

Jan'19 F.O.T.M.
post #53 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 10:56 AM
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.

Garage
Birthday Bronco

It's about 3/4 of the way through the month, feels like the 7th inning stretch for FOTM competition.

First, let's talk about the 7th inning stretch. There is an entire story behind the 7th inning stretch and Google can tell it much better than I can. In a nutshell, its time for the fans to get the blood flowing, grab one last beverage, use the facilities etc. The underlying meaning is make sure you are ready for the last part of the game, don't lose focus, anything can happen.

We all have our own definitions of what the FOTM competition is. For me, it's not about seeing the picture of 5 (3 this time) Broncos running and simply picking the one I like best. I see the competition as an opportunity to bring this Bronco team together. There is a wealth of tech articles already out there and I am willing to bet that every question that comes up has already been answered.

For me, FOTM is about bringing people back to the board every day to read stories, share ideas and cement this bond we all have of our love for Bronco's. It's more like a monthly Bronco reunion.

As a nominee, I see it as my obligation to do what I can to help with all of that. I hope by posting every day, telling my Bronco stories, sharing not just my mods but the story behind them. We have experienced the highs and lows of doing mods.

You all should know by know the huge part the Bronco has played in my life. I don't know too many people that can say they have had the same Bronco for 22 years. I hope with all of this effort I am meeting my own definition of the true meaning of FOTM. If I earn a vote or two along the way for it awesome, if not I hope you have had an entertaining month so far because that's what its really all about for me

I see many have voted already, but for those who haven't its time for that 7th inning stretch because we still have 11 more days of Bronco!! I have so much more to share.

Today also marks another year on planet earth for me. Colorado treated me to this amazing Birthday sunrise. (Yes I am quite certain it was just for me..lol)

So why bring up the fact that it's my Birthday?
Do I want everyone to wish me a Happy Birthday? (well sure if you feel like it haha)
How is it Bronco related? That's easy for every year as far back as I can recall, I ALWAYS ask for something Bronco related.

This year is no exception. I have these bad boys on the way: MaxTrax recovery boards and yes they are red to match my red truck. Have to satisfy the OCD you know... No, I don't plan on getting stuck all the time but they are also part of the required recovery gear.

My family has a full day of birthday fun planned for me, so I will leave you with some fun wheeling pics and the promise to cover

-Why shackle flips are not what you may expect
-How Craigslist deals can turn into Craigslist nightmares
-Some must do mods to every late model Broncos..
-And how is that son of mine progressing with his driving skills?

Trust me you don't want to miss out!

July 2016 F.S.O.T.M
post #54 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 11:54 PM
Jan'19 F.O.T.M.

Garage
Obsessions and another lesson learnt

How true is that old saying Ďif it ainít broke, donít fix it!í and yet how many of us keep tinkering with our Broncos even after everything is working properly?

These are our toys, a definition of who we are and sometimes a blank canvas to draw our wildest dreams, either if itís adding more horse power to our engines:

or painting them and customizing them our way:

or completely changing them up to the point that the only thing original in them is the frame

jokes aside, it is all really about the process and the fun.

And yet I have learnt the hard way, that sometimes it is better to leave things stock as much as possible. I have felt tempted many times to swap certain components, like the distributor for a more modern HEI one, the carburetor for a more modern one or even an EFI system (even tho not California approved) or simple things like this VHX instrument cluster from Dakota, the list can go on and on.

But when you tinker with things, especially mechanical and electrical, there will be a point where the original service manual will not apply, and it will be harder to assess certain problems.

For example, adding a different Camshaft can improve mileage, increase horsepower or torque, but it will also affect your emissions and modify your vacuum readings that are so vital to gauge an engineís health and it will be harder to asses certain problems if you do not know what you are doing.

And yet we still do it, I did it! I put an RV Cam on mine! And I also put a different torque converter in the C6 transmission, and I put performance 8.2mm spark wires and an aluminum intake and a high pressure oil pumpÖ Did all this make a difference? Iím sure. Can I notice it? Kind of. Is it affecting the diagnose of problems? For sure! I am not an expert but it doesn't take much to realize that.

This is the RV Camshaft that was installed in my engine, it is an Enginetech ES1085R:

Why am I telling you all this? Well, I have been having a few issues with my 2150 carburetor. I had just learnt that mine was one of the few that had a variable Venturi which sometimes are a pain to maintain.

So I decided to put another 2150 with a fixed Venturi. And thatís what Ziggy and I were doing yesterday.

Unfortunately, the process went longer than we thought. The first candidate we tried had some hidden issues that we did not know about until we were completely done with the rebuilt and installed it in the Bronco.

It was sputtering like crazy and fighting with the mixture screws and other settings didnít seem to make a difference.

So we tried another one he had. Interestingly enough, the original one from his 1979 Bronco.

So we started the process of checking everything and rebuilding were necessary. Once it was ready we put it on my Bronco, and yet there was a bit of slug and sputter. But this time it was a bit easier to mitigate it and bring it to a point where it was smooth enough.

But it isnít smooth as if it would be if everything was stock. The reason? Because thereís an RV Cam. Which usually have what it is called a dual profile. Meaning that the intake is ground one way and the exhaust is ground another. And because of this dual profile you will see a slight fluctuation in the vacuum gauge. And if you did not know any of this beforehand you would probably be pulling your hair trying to figure out why your vacuum reading fluctuates.

You can see in my Camshaft specs how the intake and exhaust values are different:

Another day, another lesson learnt. On another post I will be talking about how we rebuilt the 2150 and how Ziggy almost killed himself:

Just joking, he is good. Just another proof of how crazy we need to climb sometimes to work on our Broncos.

Have a great rest of the weekend!

1978 Ford Bronco XLT

Jan'19 F.O.T.M.
post #55 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 06:00 AM
Fullsize Member

Garage
Good morning,

I wrote earlier about how we tinker and it's good to see I'm not alone. 😎 If you have seen my other postings then you know that when I title them as finally or never again....those are relative terms. I too chased a non-existent vacuum issue since my 427 was only holding 15in of vacuum at idle before researching the cam.....🙄🙄

It's good to have a team like this forum where folks can research and discuss. This past weekend I re-set my idle per Gacknar's post from years ago. (Again, my lack of computer knowledge prevents me from posting a link)

I also have a set of injectors coming that are larger than my 30's in flow but shorter in length. (they are free and from a friend who pulled them off a mustang.) So with help from here I'll get them installed and tuned. So whether it's a carb or injectors it's always tunable...🙂

Did I mention that while I was working on my Bronco this weekend, I noticed that my MAF readings were not changing....here is why. The signal return wire/pin sometimes will not seat so no signal....I swear everytime I'm gonna leave it alone once I get it running but then I'm just looking for one more HP or one more MPG.....and here I go again.

Once I finish 😂😂😂 with the Bronco, I'm gonna start on this old yellow car....I'm thinking its 355 and M22 need to swapped with a 6.0LS and tremec 6spd...🤔🤔

Ya'll have a good day
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190119_071051_1548068295223.jpg (212.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20190119_141919_1548068397790.jpg (246.5 KB, 7 views)
post #56 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 09:00 AM
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.

Garage
How a Simple Shackle Flip Turned Our Suspension Upside Down

Good Morning Bronco Family!
If you are a sports fan you saw BOTH championship games go into OT, This contest is kinda the same. Who will win? Its anyone's game right now, but the real winners are you- the Bronco fans getting a fantastic show this month!

It's a Monday so grab yourself a cup of Joe and settle in, this story is going to take some time, but its worth it.

We have already established that I "think" I am a bargain Hunter, sometimes I score some good deals and it works out, other times the deal is pretty good, but at the end of the day after I fix my mess, well let's just leave it at "Lesson Learned"

As you saw from one of my very first posts, my first lift utilized blocks in the rear. Now there are tons of horror stories out there about blocks and most will agree that they are not the ideal way to lift a suspension. I will say that I had mine in for 20 years and I had zero issues with them. I don't hardcore wheel it, but its also not regulated to the pavement either, you can see from my pics it gets used. The only complaint I ever had is that it seemed to make for a bumpier ride.

Bargain Hunter me was browsing the For Sale section of the board here and I saw someone selling a Hefty Shackle Flip kit. Those of you who remember Hefty he got his start right here on the Bronco Board building bumpers and shackle flips. He has since moved on to building bumpers for Toyotas and Nissan, but his work is top notch. But back to the bracket. Adhering to the motto of "never pass up an opportunity to upgrade your Bronco", I negotiated a deal and had it shipped to me..

Where it promptly sat in my garage collecting cobwebs for 2+ years...

Come on admit it you have done the same right? Bought something for your Bronco and either never seem to get around to actually installing it, or you might be missing a part, No? Just me... ok..

I did eventually get around to installing it. Mainly due to the prompting of my son. Here is my collection of parts for this simple shackle flip

Good Bye trusty lift blocks, you served me well.

Gotta love removing old rusty bolts

Air Tools are your friend:

The hardware for this flip is 1/2" I believe so you have to ream out the stock holes.

It was a tight squeeze getting the flip brackets to line up with my custom rear bumper mounts. A little massaging with the grinder and it all worked out. Clever tip I learned here on the Board is that the fuel tank is in the way of these bolts, but you can use some wire to fish them through without needing to drop the tank. Worked perfectly and saved us lots of work:

Spring is free

Old bracket. Have I mentioned I hate mag chloride? Garaged its entire life and still this rusty.

Springs attached to the new bracket, all "seems" to be going well

Feels like I should hold a memorial or a retirement party or something..LOL

So the fun thing about shackle flips is that it changes the geometry of the rear axle. We intentionally reassemble everything just to show what it would look like if you just left it as is. You can see the axle is now pushed too far forward and no longer centered in the wheel well.

You have a couple of options at this point:

-You can live with it. I guess if you drive pavement all the time it's not a huge deal
-You can relocate the front spring hanger, a fair amount of work and some careful measuring required
-Or enter the zero rate offset. The zero rates relocate the axle for you, with a clever setup.

You have two options 1" or the 1.5" setup that we ended up needing.

The fun thing about the zero rate offsets is that they require you to also relocate the center alignment hole. My son drilling the new alignment hole in the bracket for this:

The "stack" as viewed from the rear.

Much better:

Hey, this shackle flip is going really well, let's move to the passenger side...

Ugh Oh...

Well things just took an interesting turn, didn't they?

Not a huge deal right?

Just get a new spring set on the way.

Should be back in business in no time.

Yeah right, We didn't know it at the time, but we just opened Pandora's Box

Swing back by this afternoon to see what happens next!

July 2016 F.S.O.T.M
post #57 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 03:09 PM
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.

Garage
It's the End of the World!!.. (kidding)

Where did we leave off this morning? Oh yes, a broken spring. Ok- so not what we were planning on, but also not the end of the world.

Or is it? Let's continue with the story and see where it takes us...

Even though I live near Denver, replacing the rear springs on the Bronco proved to be a challenge. Its just not something stores carry in stock. To the internet, I go!!

If you are like me, you immediately start zeroing in on the best bang for your buck. I found a couple of different sites that sell leaf springs at great prices. Awesome, we were back in business.

Well, that is until I click on the check out button and saw something like this:

Maybe not quite this bad, but it made me stop and rethink the entire purchase. I know you guys have all been here.

I ended up poking around JBG and found a set of heavy duty springs. Oh, I like the sound of "Heavy Duty", tell me more! xx more payload and 2-3" of lift. Hum, now math can be hard sometimes but even I was able to figure out 4" of lift with the shackle flip, and 1" of lift with the zero rates offset =5". Now add 2-3" of spring?

Still... HEAVY DUTY.. UMMMM (said in my best Homer Simpson voice)

I quickly rationalized that we had some sag simply due to the age of the vehicle, the rear bumper weighs a ton, and that sound deadening and sub box, surely all of that will compress them just fine, 2-3" of spring, 4" shackle and 1" zero rates all would still add up to 6".

When we did the shackle flip, the spring bolts were a real bear to deal with. I figured since we were replacing the springs it was also time for new hardware. You also saw the rusty rear hanger we took out, might as well get new hangers too right?

This shackle flip is still an A-MAZING deal, trust me. While we still had to pay for shipping from JBG it was more reasonable than any of the other places. We waited patiently for the freight truck to arrive and it eventually did.

Notice right away that the rusty front hanger is attached with rivets, oh joy..

My son grinding off the rivets:

Old front bracket removed:

Old springs vs new. You can see the additional 2" it gave. I finally made a smart choice in getting new hardware, it was a breeze to get the new springs installed in the new bracket:

Front mount and springs:

Hard to see here but we also put new shackles to go with the Hefty bracket:

New springs partly in:

I mentioned the zero rate solution in this mornings thread.

Drilling the new alignment hole in the bracket:

Springs:

Getting close:

This shackle flip is cruising right along, back on track, YAY.

Oh, wait... it interferes with the stock exhaust system.

No problem we will just cut that off and reroute it.

My son cutting. Not so fun fact. The exhaust is not a perfect circle back here, it's more of an oval, had to deal with that when selecting a spot to cut it:

How we routed it behind the springs:

Had to buy new exhaust parts, BUT this is still an A-MAZNG deal on this shackle flip, you just have to trust me on this...

New temporary exhaust seems to be working

None of this was or is intended to be permanent. Somewhere on the endless Bronco list is an exhaust upgrade.

All done, no more saggy butt. With just the shackle flip, she sat about an inch lower than when we had the blocks in. Now she sits 2" higher. I rationalized well, it just means its "back to the factory rake."

Unfortunately, the harsh light of day revealed that it was no factory rake.

I just could not get this image out of my head when I looked at the Bronco

How will we fix this?

Drum Roll, you guessed, come back tomorrow morning and find out!

July 2016 F.S.O.T.M
post #58 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 04:40 PM
Fullsize Member

Garage
Even down here

It looks like right now, that a large part of the country is snowed in. I have spoken with friends in NY, CO, KY and PA today and they all said we are covered in snow and ice. I know in TN when we had even a 1/4" of snow Krogers, BI-LO, Publix, Winn-Dixie.....they all had extra help getting the shelves stocked with milk, bread and toilet paper. I mean it was a panic. 'Course the weather folks screaming about black ice, and POSSIBILITY of 4-6" of snow...ÖÖ...I bet they had stock in grocery stores......The possibility of that much snow was about the same as winning the lottery but occasionally we would get that much and for two whole days people had to make due with whatever food they had in their house.....

When I came down here four years ago I figured I wouldn't see any of the white stuff and boy was I wrong. December 2017.....This is a CRKT with an almost 4" blade on my picnic bench at the house.

I had already driven to work so when it started there, I figured it would melt off. This is what my Bronco looked like in SOUTH GA...It was 64deg 36hrs earlier.

Tires

SO I drove home and this is what our local 4-lane looked like. It was pretty at the house but I was a little worried about folks driving down here but as far as I know there were not too many wrecks...

The road to my house

So even way down here it shows up from time to time. I'm willing to bet that a large percentage of us on this forum know what its like to hook a tow strap up and help out a neighbor. So whether its snow or hurricanes or fires or whatever it is, we need to help out.

So stay warm and drive safe. If you see someone stuck in a snowbank....ESPECIALLY a jeep be sure and offer a helping hand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180103_120238402.jpg (99.6 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180103_105859002.jpg (197.8 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180103_105912057.jpg (165.8 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180103_110851213.jpg (128.7 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180103_112706686.jpg (138.6 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180103_114708465.jpg (211.4 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by thequietman; 01-21-2019 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Font....it looks like I'm Screaming
post #59 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 10:11 PM
Jan'19 F.O.T.M.

Garage
Late Monday post!

I feel bad posting this since it is snowing so much everywhere else in the country, please do not hate me, it is what it is. But maybe it'll help everyone get a bit warmer seeing these pictures.

I went for a drive today with my friend Josiah and we took some cool shots at the Malibu Canyon Overlook. I still do not have my front driveshaft installed and my suspension is a bit iffy, so I didn't go to any trails.

At least this is a better introduction to Bruce, he seems to fit better up in the mountains :)

Hope you enjoy the pics! And stay warm!

Until the next post!

-

1978 Ford Bronco XLT

Jan'19 F.O.T.M.
post #60 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 01:32 AM
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter

Bronco Info: '95 302 XLT
Cool

Alright Boys and Girls we just have a little over a week left and it looks like it's gonna be a nail bighter 'till the end...

Get your VOTES in while the popcorn is still hot !!!

Good Luck to all,
Allcruisen
96bronco, Quader1 and HCodi like this.

VOTE For FOTM !!!

"DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Ford Bronco Forum > Welcome > F.O.T.M Voting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode