Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 07:39 AM
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.

Bronco Info: 1996 EB
Garage
What to do about the Stink Bug

Morning Bronco-a-holics!
It's a fine blizzardy Tues morning here in Colorado.
I just got done shoveling the road to my house. Took me about an hour. I even had time to snap this picture for you.

Kidding, of course. (about the picture, not the blizzard). The picture is from The Great Blizzard of 78" that hit the Great Lakes area. The storm had the lowest barometric pressure ever recorded and it produced wind gusts in excess of 80mph, snow drifts 13 feet tall and sadly 70 people died. It's an interesting read if you have time.

Back to the title. Yes, I did nickname the Bronco "Stink Bug" after we got done with the A-mazing Shackle flip deal. It's a problem we need to figure out. You know me with my chronic OCD.

BUT these winter conditions have me reminiscing about better weather. Colorado is blessed with some fantastic scenery and on top of that amazing fall colors. I thought on this cold, snowy morning we might all enjoy seeing some of that...

We all know the Bronco is the vehicle of choice. I use this thing hard! So, grab your cameras and head to the Bronco

SHOTGUN!!

I never tire of seeing the Bronco from the front (ok from any angle..bwahaa)

Don't worry we will get back to the Stink Bug problem this afternoon..

1996 Eddie Bauer 351W/E40D/Dana 44, TTB R 8.8 (4.56 F&R), 6" Lift, 35x13.50 Toyo MTs, sag PS, 1 ton brakes, off-road bumpers, Warn 15K, Edelbrock intakes, lots 'O lights.
Build thread: http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=352625
Supermord site: http://www.supermotors.net/registry/26920
July 2016 F.S.O.T.M

Last edited by 96bronco; 01-22-2019 at 07:40 AM. Reason: re arrange content
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 11:28 AM
Jan'19 F.O.T.M.

Bronco Info: 1978 Ford Bronco Ranger XLT 400 V8 6.6L
Garage
A few more shots

And a few more shots from yesterday! Enjoy!

It was a really cool drive up the Malibu Canyon. The road is very winding, the elevation rises to 1500' and the views are jaw dropping. There are several overlooks where you can stop and park your car. And make dangerous turns... Oops wrong way!

That's better...

It almost feels that we just went for a hardcore 4x4 ride in this picture, well maybe when the bronco is all finished...

This was already driving back down the Canyons to the PCH. You can see the ocean in the back, it is my favourite landscape when ocean and mountains come together.

And one last picture for the sake of it.

See you next time!

1978 Ford Bronco XLT

Everything in the 70's was so much better!

Visit my built thread here!

Jan'19 F.O.T.M.
post #63 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 03:01 PM
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.

Garage
Stink Bug Extermination!

We all saw the Stink Bug yesterday. For some reason, my son did not find that nickname amusing AT ALL. I, of course, use this to relentlessly tease him... That's what good fathers do right?

We really only had two choices to fix this problem:
-Undo the rear lift (either get different springs or take out the A-Mazing Deal shackle Flip)
-OR lift the front to match.

Which does the bull-headed guy, who can't admit he made a mistake pick?

PLOW FORWARD and lift the front of course!

So back to the Bronco gurus on FSB I went. Deaver seemed to be the preferred springs.

Keep in mind son was off to school, so I had to talk him into coming home for the weekend so we could do some Bronco work.

He said, "Anything to get you to stop calling the Bronco the Stink Bug".

Tearing into it:

Coil comparision:

New height

Old ride height:

All setup:

Coils from the front

Couple of views from in the garage outside was too hard to get any good pics:

Don't ask me how the math works, (remember how much I suck at math) but even with the new springs, the front was still lower than the rear. Granted it was better, but not OCD better..

I just dropped a chunk of change on the new springs and I really didn't want to have to try and return them or sell them, so I took the plunge and bought some coil spacers off eBay
Coil spacers:

It really sucked having to keep going back in and redoing the front end...
The front all set up. Boy was the alignment shot. I had to install some 2-degree bushings to even get it to the point that the tire store could have a shot at it:

A few poser shots:

Wow is there a lot of room in there now, 37's? (kidding):

Pic at the tire store after getting aligned. The drive down there was terrible, tires chirping and it felt like the emergency brake was on the whole way. At least it was less than 1/4 mile away.

Finally, the truck sits level See what an A-Mazing Deal this shackle flip was!

We were able to squash the stink bug...

You guys didn't forget about this, did you?

The truck is now sitting on 8" of lift.

I wonder what that means?

More to come on that, maybe even this evening.. stay tuned!

1996 Eddie Bauer 351W/E40D/Dana 44, TTB R 8.8 (4.56 F&R), 6" Lift, 35x13.50 Toyo MTs, sag PS, 1 ton brakes, off-road bumpers, Warn 15K, Edelbrock intakes, lots 'O lights.
July 2016 F.S.O.T.M

Last edited by 96bronco; 01-22-2019 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Sentences are hard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 05:33 PM
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.

Garage
Laughable 0-60

I want to keep my viewers happy @stan the man asked for a 0-60 video, well here it is!

Sort of.

It's the best I could do given a few conditions.

-It was a blizzard this morning so the hubs are still locked in.
-The only road on my way home that didn't have zillions stoplights on it.
-I had to start my 0-60 with a left-hand turn...

Please make sure you are sitting down, have some Kleenex handy, and absolutely no food or drink.
We don't want anyone hurting themselves or making a mess due to uncontrollable laughter.

Because that video is less than impressive, here are a few pics of the Bronco to enjoy

Who else parks way in the back of the lot so no one parks next to you. (haha all of us right?)

Think ominous Jaws music as the garage door opens..

Whew, no Shark, just a BA Bronco..

It's hard to believe the storm moved out that fast but it did, thankfully. I measured 8" on my back storage unit.

July 2016 F.S.O.T.M
post #65 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 07:03 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer
Garage
https://youtu.be/6RG4ytew41M

I figured I'd try this to. I'm at least learning all kinds of new technology. It's short and sweet but I figure it's not bad for shoving a barn door thru the wind, that weighs 5k lbs...
post #66 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 08:06 PM
Sayulita Layta!

Bronco Info: 1996 Ford Blazer. Lifted, locked, and loaded. Where's the Zombies?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96bronco View Post
[SIZE="3"]I want to keep my viewers happy @stan the man asked for a 0-60 video, well here it is!

Sort of.

It's the best I could do given a few conditions.

-It was a blizzard this morning so the hubs are still locked in.
-The only road on my way home that didn't have zillions stoplights on it.
-I had to start my 0-60 with a left-hand turn...

Please make sure you are sitting down, have some Kleenex handy, and absolutely no food or drink.
We don't want anyone hurting themselves or making a mess due to uncontrollable laughter.

https://youtu.be/-A7PHh876Wk

My 0-60 pulls usually start with a right hand turn and me peeling out of my neighborhood.

Thanks for the video. I'll have to take one and share it with you – yours does seem like a dog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thequietman View Post
https://youtu.be/6RG4ytew41M

I figured I'd try this to. I'm at least learning all kinds of new technology. It's short and sweet but I figure it's not bad for shoving a barn door thru the wind, that weighs 5k lbs...
That's more like it.

*Edit* @96bronco looks like your pull really started in second gear after that turn. I'm sure that's why it looks slower.
96bronco and HCodi like this.

California Bay Area off road UC4x4.com
post #67 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 08:38 PM
Fullsize Member

Garage
I didnt hit it too hard 4k it starts running outta fuel...
BigBlue 94 and HCodi like this.
post #68 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 09:56 PM
Jan'19 F.O.T.M.

Garage
That is so cool guys! I haven't done that with mine, it will probably take waaaay longer to get to 60mph, but it will be fun to do! Your engine sounds great @thequietman !
BigBlue 94 and Nickwalkr like this.

1978 Ford Bronco XLT

Jan'19 F.O.T.M.
post #69 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 04:27 AM
Fullsize Member

Garage
Good morning and thank you @HCodi and @stantheman I do like how it turned out. When I do these little runs for datalogging and tuning, I'll be in 2nd and pull to about 4k....with these dual magnaflows, its noticeable 😁😎

The county sheriff's driveway is almost perfectly a 1/4mile from mine. I'm glad he and I are friends...

Have a great day
BigBlue 94, JGR and HCodi like this.
post #70 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 09:00 AM
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.

Garage
Close that Box!

Good Morning Bronco Nation!

We took a slight detour to post up an embarrassing 0-60 yesterday.

In our Bronco's defense, I bet we have added over 1,000 lbs to it. Now before you scoff, bear with me. let's throw some ballpark weight at things:

35" tires 78lb ea x5 = 390lbs (no idea what stockers weigh to subtract out)
2nd Battery= 45lbs
Warn M1500 (with line)= 150lbs
Front bumper (est) 250lbs
Rear bumper (est) 350lbs
Sub box = (est) 100lbs
See that's nearly 1300lbs right there

That does not include misc small stuff like the center console, sound deadening (weights 3lbs a rollx6), zero gauge wire upgrade, CB, KC lights (x6) w\ wiring, etc. It adds up fast!

Let's get back to Pandora's box that we might not yet have closed.. hum

So with my new 8" of lift what could that possibly be?

Let's start with the brake lines. Yeah, current ones are not gonna work when I drop a tire in a hole. This is a must for us, the truck HAS to function off-road. New extended brake lines:

Moving right along with the ripple effect. Our Rancho shocks were also too short. New rear shocks Bilstein 5125's. It was hard for us to get used to the boots being on the bottom:

After getting it aligned, the steering felt super tight, almost bound up. Pretty quickly we realized that the pitman arm was just too short for the new lift height. I will tell you that there are only about 3 places that sell an arm for 8" of lift and they are all super proud of them. As in $250+ proud. Lucky for us I found a used one for sale in the classifieds right here on FSB for a much more reasonable price. Gotta love it!

It was a bit rusty when it arrived, but we hit it with the sander, soaked it in a bit of Evaporust and applied a quick coat of paint.

4" arm vs 8"

Old setup with new arm for comparision

Fun story about this puller. I sent my son down to the auto parts store to borrow one. The back story on this kid of mine is that he is super personable. He is able to make friends with anyone almost instantly. I am jealous. At any rate, he comes back with this puller and it had a slightly bent alignment arm. He talked the guy into GIVING it to us for free. I popped it in the vice and had it straightened out in no time. Free is GOOD!

All installed:

Of course, we had to send it down to the alignment shop (again) lucky for us, they have a 30-day warranty on alignments and are super cool about applying it to situations like this

But finally:

So our A-Mazing Shackle Flip deal resulted in:

-New rear springs
-New hangers
-New shackles
-New exhaust reroute
-New extended brake lines
-New front coils w/spacers
-New pitman arm
-New alignment bushings
-New shocks all around...

Yes, that is every single component of a suspension lift. A-Mazing Shackle Flip Deal right?

Now that some of the more painful memories have faded and my therapy is winding down, I will say that I absolutely LOVE the change. The new suspension rides like a Cadillac. I guess 20 years does take its toll on things. I never knew a bronco could ride so well. At first I was a bit worried that the Bronco would look like it skipped legs day, but honestly, I love the stance. Increased approach and departure angles, the list goes on. Only negative is that I didn't grow 2" along with it, so its an adjustment to get things in and out of the cargo area.

We have 8 days left in this competition I have been posting things that I think are pretty cool. Trust me, I still have a ton of things left to share.
I also want to make sure I am posting what you all want to see! So if there is something I am not covering just let me know in the chat thread.
-Poser pictures?
-Trail runs?
-Upgrade not covered yet?
-More details on things posted so far?
-Or "Na you got it covered, keep doin' what you are doin'. "

I aim to please!

July 2016 F.S.O.T.M

Last edited by 96bronco; 01-23-2019 at 09:12 AM. Reason: things n's stuff
post #71 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 11:28 AM
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter

Bronco Info: '95 302 XLT
Talking

OK, As I previously mentioned above I was planning on using the FSB jet to go an visit these Contestants, but as it turns out, the last person to use the jet left it without any Jet Fuel and misplaced the keys...

So, I am gonna see if the FSB Limo has any fuel and if no one has misplaced those keys...

Good Luck to all,

Allcruisen

VOTE For FOTM !!!

"DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR"
post #72 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 01:53 PM
Jan'19 F.O.T.M.

Garage
Working on this truck was a therapy for me

Good morning for some and afternoon for others!

Truth is, I donít have 5, 10, 20 or more years of history with this truck I only had it for 2 but Iím really proud of all the work I have put into it, especially considering I never had any prior mechanical experience.

There are still a few things but all in all, I am almost done, really itís just updating the suspension and all the rest of cosmetics: paint, chrome moldings, upholstery, new glass, carpet...

I still donít know what made me buy this one particular Bronco or what made me keep going even after all the hiccups (smog, bad axles, bad engine...) but I was going through a very rough time in my life and maybe working on this truck was some sort of a therapy for me.

And maybe every single component I fixed, every part I cleaned and every bolt I replaced, were somehow parts in my life that I so desperately wanted to fix.

I am not ready to share what was wrong, itís too personal and it feels too vulnerable to share it publicly. But the point is that even tho it was really hard, I am happy that I stuck with this truck and that I managed to fix all the problems that came with it.

I honestly donít think it matters why we do the things we do with our trucks, in the end, we all do it because of the experience and because it makes us happy. Or because sometimes itís a healthy distraction.

I can not wait to the day I finish it and I can take it to some trails and have fun with it. But till then I did something fun in the meantime.

I started an Instagram account dedicated to my Bronco. I have to confess that I am not very good with all this social media stuff, I am very old school. But I thought it would be a good idea to have an account exclusively dedicated to Bruce.

For now, I just uploaded 6 pictures but I hope to put some videos and other stuff in the future. I also added the forum website, I hope that is ok!

Here are some other interior shots that I wanted to share with you as well:

I really love this interior and I can not wait to replace my windshield (yes I photoshopped that cracked glass) and restore the rest of the interior components. Every time I drive this truck it makes me feel like I am back in the 70s, I put some Led Zeppelin on the radio and I am good for the day :)

Hope you all have a great Wednesday!

1978 Ford Bronco XLT

Jan'19 F.O.T.M.
post #73 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 03:27 PM
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.

Garage
Performance Review with allcruisen

Good afternoon Bronco Fans

So @allcruisen brought the FSB limo by and we did a check-in. First I will say that the limo is NICE, but I am a bit disappointed, I bet the Jet's fridge is way better stocked.

Before we get into the evaluation (man is he tough), I found a couple of videos of us testing out the new suspension.

Going up...

What goes up must come down..

We all know video is tough to accurately depict things, so keep in mind, with the new lift we are sitting at 44" top of the wheel well. Those cuts we are going up and down are deeper than you think. The suspension did great with our testing. Happy with it all

So back to that performance review (numbers to date, MORE to come)

96bronco's contribution to FOTM:
-Number of Posts:32 (1.4 per day) Eval: Check

-Number of Pictures:465 Eval: Check

-Number of Videos:13 Eval: Check

-Number of upgrades:35 Eval Check

-Members Entertained? TBD only they can tell you that

-Overall Rating: The final Vote total will tell the story, but keep the pedal to the metal!

As always, having a little fun here, but I do think the numbers tell the story of how invested I am in this contest, this board, and Broncos in general. All of you know the time and energy it takes to create a post, so if you think this effort is worthy of a vote, then I would sure appreciate it!

July 2016 F.S.O.T.M
post #74 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 08:25 AM
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.

Garage
Bronco, A Way of Life

Yes, cliche I know, but the Bronco really is a way of life for us.

I already mentioned that from way back in elementary I lusted after one.

I won't tell you how many years ago that was, but you can probably do the math. I bought my 96 in, well-1996.

Some of my buddies have long since sold their Bronco's, it was just a phase they were in. Again, that's ok for them, but not for me.

I am in it for the long haul- 22+ years and counting. The Bronco is associated with so many memories of my family and my kids growing up. How could I ever part with it?:

We used it to take my son on his first 4x4 trip.

The Bronco is our tow rig whenever we take the family out on 4wheelers.

The pride you feel when coming home from work to find your son buried in the Bronco's engine bay.

The Bronco was our long haul family vacation rig for many years:

Everyone looks to us to get the Boy Scouts to their outdoor activities because they know the Bronco is up to the task.

A reliable trail rig that to this very day gets us into, and more importantly back OUT of Colorado backcountry.

My son picked the Bronco to get his drivers license

Countless times using it for remote camping. It serves as our shelter by night and cooking table by day.

We used it to haul materials for my Son's Eagle Scout project. I am so very proud of him for this accomplishment:

Never a doubt when the snow flies it's our trusted winter driving rig:

When you pass along your Bronco addiction to your son and its the vehicle he chooses to take to Prom:

Even when gas prices were so high that everyone seemed to be selling their Broncos, the thought never crossed our minds.

The Bronco helped us climb all the 14,000ft peaks in Colorado. It continues to take us to every trailhead we visit. That was about 30 of them last summer alone.

What does the future hold for the Bronco?

I can't really say, except I know it will be part of our family.

I will be proudly passing the keys to the young man sitting here in the driver's seat, he's earned it!

I am thinking we should either go on a trail run or maybe do another mod this afternoon.

Either way, I can't wait!

July 2016 F.S.O.T.M

Last edited by 96bronco; 01-24-2019 at 08:37 AM. Reason: content
post #75 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 12:40 PM
Jan'19 F.O.T.M.

Garage
Random Upgrades & Repairs

It thought that today I would share with you a few some other random upgrades that I might have missed in previous posts.

-I replaced my Torque Converter for a Hughes Performance Fuel 43 Torque converter. Not sure if it is really doing anything, and I can't really tell with my driving. But I thought I would be worth a try since I had it all out and if it was true that this thing could improve mileage a few more MPG sure would not hurt!

There is really not that much to it when it comes to installing a new torque converter, you just have to make sure you fill it will transmission fluid before putting it in the transmission.

You can see the torque converter in these pictures of when we were reinstalling the rebuilt engine:

And by the way I used this transmission fluid, in case anyone is interested:

-I am sure you noticed in some of my newer pictures that I also replaced my Fender Aprons. My old ones were broken and rusted through and even tho I attempted to save one of them, I then realized that some of the internal nuts were missing and it was really hard to repair. So I gave up on them and ended up purchasing aftermarket ones. Little I knew they needed work too, they both arrived with a ton of scratches. I sanded, epoxy primed them and then coated them with 2k Chassis black on the top and a rubber coating at the bottom.

This aftermarket replacement arrived with a bunch of scratches:

After priming:

With Rubber coating at the bottom:

And finally installed in the engine bay:

-And some pictures of the rebuilt gearbox from Redhead. They really do amazing work, it is pricey but it is a noticeable improvement on my 40-year-old truck. To install it, you pretty much bolt it back where the old one was.

-I also got a new high-performance starter motor from Bronco Graveyard. The small kind that it is also lighter than the original.

I had a few hiccups installing this. The truck wasnít starting at the beginning, but it all came down to a bad ground connection. There was a lot of paint where the ground cable threads to the engine block and it wasnít giving a proper ground. Easy fix although it drove me crazy for an hour checking everything in the engine bay.

But then I was having a weird noise right after the engine had already turned on, as if the starter motor was still spinning for a few seconds, but it didn't sound very good. Later I figured thanks to this drawing how to fix the problem, it needed to be wired differently. An extra 12 gauge wire needs to go up the starter solenoid, instead of just one starter wire like the stock starter motor requires:

After this, it would start right away and no more grinding noises!

This is a picture of the final installation:

-The radiator was restored to stock. Ziggy found an original one at a junkyard and convinced me to recore it. It was more expensive than a new aluminum one but the original radiators are made of brass instead of aluminum and because of that are more reliable and repairable, and according to some, they dissipate heat more efficiently. And plus, it is stock.

It went from this:

to thisÖ

I also had the radiator support sandblasted and powder coated:

Unfortunately, this radiator project turned out to be a bit frustrating. The first time we installed it, ended up leaking everywhere: the upper neck, the bottom neck, the transmission connection points... a disaster. Luckily the shop had a great warranty and they covered the repair.

It had clogged a little on the inside and they blamed it on the fact that I was using an off the shelf already pre-mixed 50/50 coolant. So after this repair, I made my own mixture of 50% concentrate and 50% distilled water.

They did the repair in a rush, they didn't paint the repaired areas and although it seemed to be ok... not so long after installing it back, it started leaking in the upper neck again creating a pool of coolant at the top.

I looked everywhere for that leak, but I just could not see it.

I even had two clamps in there at some point, but nothing seemed to stop that leak:

Time for disassembly once again! How many times have you guys assembled and disassembled a component in your truck up to the point that you almost gave up? yeah, I almost threw that radiator down the cliff.

But thank God I didn't, because after all, it turned out to be a very small leak in the upper neck, what they call a "sleeper" that is really hard to detect. And guess what? I was using the wrong radiator cap, it was supposed to be a 12-13lbs and I had been using a 16lbs that was putting too much pressure before releasing to the reservoir. The reason I had the wrong cap? I went to an Auto Parts store and asked for a radiator cap for a 1978 Bronco and that is what they gave me. The moral of the story, do not trust the guys at those places, do your own research and ask the guys at this forum!

I have a stock 13lbs Motorcraft radiator cap now and haven't had any issues at all.

I am sure I still forgot some other small things. But this it for today! Thank you so much for reading and thank you for the votes!

Have a great rest of the day!

1978 Ford Bronco XLT

Jan'19 F.O.T.M.
post #76 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 02:59 PM
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.

Garage
The Student Becomes the Teacher

I am sure you can tell my passion for the Bronco by now, in fact, you might just be getting a little tired of it. LOL hang in there, only 7 more days.

So I was on the fence about a trail run or a mod this afternoon, it's snowing again here and I am feeling a bit nostalgic. I think we will talk about a mod. If you are comparing it some of the other major changes we have done to the Bronco it may not seem that impressive or even that noteworthy, but it sure is a memorable one for me.

Why you might ask?

Tell you, I must.

First some background. My son was big into RC cars. He has this Erevo that he has tricked out beyond ridiculous. Those that are in this world know the endless possibilities and the insane amounts of cash you can put into them. His is Electric and through many upgrades of motors and changing battery types (liPo?). He became very proficient with wiring and more important, really understanding electricity.

Found this fun video of the Erevo in action:

Now back to how this relates to Bronco's.
As far as the state of Colorado is concerned, I am the sole owner of the Bronco, it's just my name on the title. However, you may have noticed that whenever I talk about it in my posts I say "we" and "ours". This sets the stage for the answer to the "Why" question.

Obviously, my son is a big helper on all the Bronco projects. We have talked about all the electronics I have on the Bronco:
2 flood lights,
2 spotlights,
2 fog lights,
2 backup pods,
and a winch.

All of these come with separate toggle switches that can easily junk up the interior if you are not careful (yes enter my OCD)

The solution is a switch panel. At this point, my automotive electrical knowledge was a little bit less than ZERO, ok I could wire red\red, black\black, ground.
What to do?

Enter my son, he said Dad I got this!

Switches get complicated really quickly. The simple you turn them on and off ones are easy. BUT no one ever accused me of doing things the easy way. My wishlist for switches (yes this is a thing)

The switches I wanted would:
-All be consistent.
-Color would match the rest of my interior lighting (green).
-Light up when turned on, be dark when turned off (duh).
-Have a graphic on them that related to their function.
-Be lighted when the Bronco lights were turned on.
-Have an in-cab winch control switch (this sucker is complicated)

We ended up really liking the panel from OTRATTW

This is the setup we went with;

Here are all the switches wired together. My son went ahead and build (all on his own) all of these jumpers, they are 100% spot on triggering at the right time lighting up when they need to etc. Those that have an in-cab winch controller know these are the next level complicated. To add even more complexity, we didn't have the on\off kill switch. It all had to work on this single switch. Good bad or indifferent the creative genius in him has the running lights as the kill switch. If they a e not on, then no workie

I got the location idea from @BroncoJoe96 (who BTW has an awesome build you should check it out) We drilled a large hole in the top of it for easy access with all the wires.

As if the above list was not complicated enough we decided to tie the switches in with the dash lights so that they would dim with the rest of the interior.
Here is the dash all torn apart to access the dimmer.

You can see where we sheathed the dash wire. we then soldered on the switch wire.

Here it is all starting to come together.

Front view:

Powered with the headlights on. green LED's CHECK!

Headlights on and most of the switches on as well. In this picture, we didn't yet have the rear lights, so there is no relay to trigger.

View from the passenger side. You can see it that in order to have the switches be more vertical the panel sticks out a bit but its not an issue at all.

At this moment I went from mentoring my son on wrenching to CONSULTING with him. This kid knows his stuff now and has great ideas and creative solutions to problems. We talk through every repair and every modification as equals.

Such a proud and memorable moment.

Those that wrench with their kids probably know exactly what I am talking about.

July 2016 F.S.O.T.M

Last edited by 96bronco; 01-25-2019 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Didn't do my son justice the first time and added video
post #77 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 04:10 PM
Fullsize Member

Garage
Well guys I can see where this is headed..😁 no worries..I did learn how to post some pics and even linked a video...my kids now think I'm cool.😎

I'm fixing to start 7/12's so my time is getting short anyway. Thank you for the chance to participate. Best of luck you two.

I hope to meet some of yall at Moab. I am swapping injectors again this weekend ....I know, I know.....I said I was gonna leave it alone but my 60mph run the other night that I posted....I didn't even get above 4k but my PW's were just too wide.

Take care
post #78 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 07:43 AM
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.

Garage
Sometimes Love Hurts

I mean that quite literally. Love for the Bronco actually physically hurt me.

Say what?

Ok, that does need some further explanation.

All the places we take the Bronco, it seems that we always end up with on some pretty rough trails. You saw we were out over 30 times last summer alone. Combine that with the ever so complicated TTB = regularly needing to align the Bronco.

Let's not forget that 35.13.5 Toyo MTs are not cheap, so we need to make them last as long as possible.

Last time we took the truck down for an alignment they said no go you have a bad tie rod. We toyed with just replacing the one that was bad, but hey why do that when you have presented an opportunity to UPGRADE!!

We used @Kingfish999 great write in the tech section to get all my MOOG parts ordered.

Here is why Love Hurts.

We LOVE our time working on this truck, that's the LOVE part. I was in the garage getting ready to take the front tires off.

To this day I do not know why I made such a boneheaded decision but I did. You can't undo the past.

I put UP on the lug wrench, instead of using my friend gravity...

I will never forget the sound.

Those of you who are hunters, it sounded exactly like when you are skinning an animal, except it was coming from my elbow. (Too graphic? Sorry.)

Then the pain hit. I have broken bones before and this pain made those feel like paper cuts (ok those can really hurt sometimes too, lol).

I had just fully torn my bicep tendon. Surgery time :( That's the HURT part

Its a whole different talk show but it was 7 months before I could even pick up a soda can, let alone turn a wrench. Enter my new PARTNER in Bronco wrenching. He took this job over for me..

Back to the Steering upgrade

You can see its time to replace.

Here are all the parts out of boxes:

We (he from now on) on used an air hammer and everything popped right out. He did put a little heat on the center drop pitman arm connection.

Installing all the grease fittings on the parts:

This is the size difference from stock to MOOG

Close up of all the different sections MOOG on bottom, stock on top

Zoomed out stock on top MOOG on bottom:

All put back together:

I will note here, that this upgrade made a world of difference in how the truck handles! We should have done it a lot sooner. I guess over time you just get used to how a vehicle handles. It drives perfect, no wobbles or wandering.

If you are wondering how things turned out, my arm has long since healed. I would say I am about 90% of what I used to be, but its a far cry from where I started:

Love how my son was able to step right in and get this done for us!

July 2016 F.S.O.T.M

Last edited by 96bronco; 01-25-2019 at 07:54 AM. Reason: content
post #79 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 12:31 PM
Jan'19 F.O.T.M.

Garage
Engine sound progress

Don't give up @thequietman I really want to see you succeed with your injector issue! I am having issues with my carburetor and I am hoping to have it resolved before the end of the month. This is for the fun, forget it is a competition.

Today I decided to post a few videos. And thought it would be cool to hear (although I apologize that in some cases it is hard to hear) the progress of the engine since I got it.

I did lose the video I had from when I originally got it with the Holley carburetor on it (Thanks to Apple ). But this is how it sounded right after we installed the new intake manifold and all the Smog components and a generic rebuilt Motorcraft 2150 with a Variable Venturi. Ready for a Smog test. It actually sounded very smooth:

This is when the engine broke and what a broken valve lifter and a loose pushrod sounds like:

This is after the Engine had been rebuilt and with a Variable Venturi 2150 Motorcraft Carburetor on it. It wasn't bad at all, but then I blew the power valve in the carburetor and since I had it out I was advised to switch the carb for a straight venturi which are more common and easier to maintain:

This is how it sounds now with a straight Venturi 2150 Motorcraft Carburetor on it. I still have some issues, there is probably a leak somewhere, hence that whistle sound, and the idle stumbles a bit. I am also suspecting that because of the RV Cam the timing needs to be advanced a bit to smoothen things out, I need to figure this out:

It is a work in progress, so much tinkering lately... but hopefully soon I will have it sounding nice and smooth again.

I also tried to do a 0-60mph video but it is impossible in this city, there is traffic everywhere. The only place I could try it is on a freeway and when it is not too crowded, which rarely happens... But I will get it done!

In the meantime, a short clip driving in the city. My everyday life going to work in the morning. I wish I had exciting videos at the trail or on a cool adventure, but I need to finish the truck first. I am so close tho!

Short post today, sometimes I really do not have much time. Thanks for reading and watching!

1978 Ford Bronco XLT

Jan'19 F.O.T.M.

Last edited by HCodi; 01-25-2019 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Mentioning another member did not work
post #80 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 02:57 PM
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.

Garage
Itching for a Trail Run

You guys have known for several posts that I am itching for a trailrun. Plus its Friday I want to inspire you all to get out and do something fun this weekend!

You guys got all the recovery gear and 48-hour bag right?

I grabbed the cooler...

So let's do this!

I have a few other runs that I will try and post up later, but I want to talk about Argentine Pass. That's it off in the distance, and you can see the trail going up through the green (lower right).

Colorado has a rich mining history. When most people hear mining and prospecting, they immediately think GOLD! There has been some gold unearthed in Colorado, but its claim to mining fame is primarily SILVER.

Much of the land in Colorado that we have 4x4 access to has its roots in mining and prospecting sites. You can't get to the mine, or get the silver back out without a road!

Thank you, early prospectors, for opening up some of the most amazing scenery around!!

Argentine pass sits at 13,207' and not surprisingly, it has mining roots. It was originally built as a toll road for stagecoaches to supply miners. The county eventually purchased it as a public highway, but it quickly fell into disrepair and became impassable to stage coaches.

Fast forward to today. It's only accessible from one side now, and the descriptions on it say "high clear 4x4 and narrow dangerous road". Perfect setting for continuing my sons 4x4 education.

You can tell that the first picture is not one I took. It was cold rainy and foggy for us at the top.

This was a great setup up for my son. This road better suited for jeeps, tight & narrow with big exposure. He did fantastic! A couple of spots for him to get some really good practice in picking his lines.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. Don't worry I will be getting my daily posts up for your FTOM addiction...lol

July 2016 F.S.O.T.M

Last edited by 96bronco; 01-25-2019 at 03:06 PM. Reason: more content
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Ford Bronco Forum > Welcome > F.O.T.M Voting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode