Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 03:16 PM
Jan'19 F.O.T.M.

Bronco Info: 1978 Ford Bronco Ranger XLT 400 V8 6.6L
Garage
Mini trail!

That's cool @96bronco ! Here is my mini trail video

I wish you could hear the engine better but there was a loud generator close by. One of these days I will have some cool footage I promise.

Have a great weekend!

1978 Ford Bronco XLT

Everything in the 70's was so much better!

Visit my built thread here!

Jan'19 F.O.T.M.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 09:55 PM
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.

Bronco Info: 1996 EB
Garage
Long Day Wheeling

Whew- it has been a full day of wheeling, we were out all day long enjoying the Colorado backcountry

But we might have gone a little too deep and stayed a little too long.

It's dark and we still have a long way back to a paved road.

Some of these corners are little too dark and I really can't see far enough ahead.. What to do?

I know, let's make use of all those lights we hung on the front bumper.

MUCH BETTER

We have not talked too much about the backup pods in the rear bumper but if we have enough days left in the month we will get there..

1996 Eddie Bauer 351W/E40D/Dana 44, TTB R 8.8 (4.56 F&R), 6" Lift, 35x13.50 Toyo MTs, sag PS, 1 ton brakes, off-road bumpers, Warn 15K, Edelbrock intakes, lots 'O lights.
Build thread: http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=352625
Supermord site: http://www.supermotors.net/registry/26920
July 2016 F.S.O.T.M
post #83 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 10:31 AM
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter

Bronco Info: '95 302 XLT
WOW, Only 36 Votes and it is soooo close to the finish line.

Come on Boys n Girls lets show these Contestants that we do read, watch and appreciate their effort to bring us what we all like to see...

So click on the Voting thingy...

Thanks to all,
Allcruisen

VOTE For FOTM !!!

"DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 11:05 AM
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.

Garage
Getting to camp late at night.. No Problem!

Morning Fellow Trail Hounds!

How did everyone sleep?

We drove late into the night, and even with the road lit up like a roman candle, it was just far to make it back.

We decided to make camp.

I bet you are glad you threw in your 72-hour bag!

Dang, its dark out here.

I can't see to set up the tent.

Shoot I just dropped the mallet.

Where did you set my sleeping bag? On the log? What log? I can't see it.

GRR..

That's not a problem! Go flip on the rear facing lights. Don't worry about draining the battery they are LED. Besides, we have dual batteries now!

I kid you not, this exact scenario is the main reason I had rear facing lights built into my bumper.

I bet you were thinking it was to let the dude behind me who won't turn off his brights that I don't appreciate it. If I were a car that might be true. haha

It's so nice to pull into camp late at night and just back the truck up flip on the lights and have the entire space lit up.

Another great use is sometimes when we go hiking we will get to the trailhead way before first light. Its great to set out your gear and be able to see it all.

So how did we get there...

Installing lights is mainly running wire and has very little visual bang for its buck. But here is the process. We decided to mount the relay in the rear light area. Protects it from the water, dirt, mud, and that dreaded Mag chloride.

Relay all installed

Pods mounted up

You can see the disconnects installed. We are always thinking ahead. What if we need to drop the rear bumper? Easier if the lights can quickly be disconnected.

We must have done something right, they work!

Purty..

Thats a lot of light

From the back

With the tailgate down

From the side

Guys that was an amazing time, doing some of my favorite things.

Thanks for joining me.

Time for us to head home.

Good luck getting out of the dog house for not making it home as planned.. AGAIN...lol

Blame me for sure, but your spouses know when we go, we go ALL in!

1996 Eddie Bauer 351W/E40D/Dana 44, TTB R 8.8 (4.56 F&R), 6" Lift, 35x13.50 Toyo MTs, sag PS, 1 ton brakes, off-road bumpers, Warn 15K, Edelbrock intakes, lots 'O lights.
July 2016 F.S.O.T.M

Last edited by 96bronco; 01-26-2019 at 11:33 AM. Reason: content
post #85 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 07:54 PM
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.

Garage
1 Ton One Part at a Time?

I don't know about you guys but it seems to take me all day to get everything unpacked and put away after a day in the mountains.

I was in the Dog house for sure... LOL

Decided to lay low and work on a Bronco Mod, those are always fun!

1 Ton One Part at a Time

Let's be honest these guys are hard to stop, really hard

FSB found me a solution pretty early on in the Bronco's life. Upgrade the booster and MC to 1-ton stuff.

Whimpy 1/2 ton stuff, "No no please don't throw me away, I'll do better." Too late TOSSED

There really is not much to this upgrade. The hardest part is bleeding the system.

Take out old stuff install new stuff, all plug, and play. I usually tell the parts, guy, I have a 95 F350 just to make life easier whenever I am after 1-ton parts.

The was the start of a continuing journey down the path of upgrading Bronco stuff to 1-Ton stuff. Even this morning I saw an "ok" deal on a 10.25 and kingpin D60... Tempting.

Funny story about right after we did this upgrade. My son had just gotten his license and was driving down a 3 lane wide street and he is in the slow lane. He notices a cop in the fast lane, but still behind him. He double checks his speed, doing ok. Well the cop moves over to the middle lane stays behind him.. My son is a little worried now, what is it maybe with the big tires I was speeding. Panic starts to take over as the cop moves over right behind him. They get to the next stop light and sure enough, he gets lit up.

He pulls over and the usual "Do you know why I stopped you." My son, "honestly I have no idea, I am sure I was not speeding. Cop you have no brake lights. Ugh really? Cop yes and I just want to say this is areally nice Bronco. I used to have an 88. Whew, Cop is a Bronco fan. So my son presses on the pedal and lights come on. Weird, cop gets in and presses on it, nothing.

She (yes a female cop who is a Bronco Fan to boot) proceeds to help my son troubleshoot the brake lights on the side of the road. Turns out that when we reassemble the pedal to the booster we put it in upside down and the brake light would come on, but only if you applied a lot of pressure, the small pressure to slow down didn't do it. Flipped it around and worked perfectly.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend, I know I am.

Thanks for the read and thanks to all of those that have voted, it really keeps me motivated to do MORE!

July 2016 F.S.O.T.M
post #86 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 08:53 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer
Garage
One more try

Ok, I was asked how the injector saga worked out so here is the answer

Great, I now pull all the way thru 5500rpm. The stuttering is gone and it runs hard so as long as I don't break anything else, I should be at Moab. Here is how it went;

At the start, I was concerned that these new 47's would be a little to high for my fuel rail bolts to go back in but they did. I had to put the tophats on them and the EV6 - EV1 adapters in order to use them BUT THEY WERE FREE!!! So I really had no choice but to use them

They did install easily and quickly. I did find out that I also had plenty of room to install them WITHOUT removing the upper intake.

So I finished the install, confirmed the wiring, set the pressure back to 39psi, loaded the tune and went to do a 2nd gear pull thru 4500rpm. ran like a scalded ape. I still need to tweak a little but Adam at PopsRacing has been a great help and no more stuttering at 4k. My pulse widths are more normal and best of all, no leaks.

So thank you all again for the support and fun I have had. These 12hr shifts are killing me but I have to feed the Bronco habit.
Best of luck and see you in Moab
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190126_094610.jpg (506.1 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 20190126_094621.jpg (787.0 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg 20190126_104309.jpg (468.7 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 20190126_101906.jpg (487.8 KB, 75 views)
post #87 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 10:08 PM
Jan'19 F.O.T.M.

Garage
Custom gauges

I haven’t done many modifications or customizations on my Bronco. If you followed my story, I pretty much like everything original. But in some cases, I either had to work around some problems and had to be creative like with my rear quarter panels that had way too many holes and could not find a replacement:

Or in other cases, I wanted bit of improvement. Like installing a Saginaw pump that would help steer better than with the stock steering pump.

Or adding a 3G alternator to help with the electrical. Which is a super easy mod, and a must for these trucks.

But still, those are mild modifications or upgrages that do not really steer away too much from the Bronco originality.

However, there was one thing that I wanted to add that I felt was missing. I wanted to monitor certain things like the RPM, the transmission temperature, voltage and vacuum. And because I did not want to break away from the original look of the truck I came up with a design that I feel looks consistent with the vintage look of this Bronco.

I used a 3D software to previsualize it:

You can see in this image that there are few mounting holes. I made it so I will not have to modify my dashboard and the holes line up with preexisting holes under the dash.

I 3D printed the outside of the case and I will cover it with a leatherette vinyl that will match the dash blue colored vinyl.

I had to print it in separate parts because it was too big and then I assembled them together with epoxy and smoothed it out with epoxy as well.

The 3D Printed emblem is so small (pictured next to a dime) that it is hard to make it look perfect:

The base where the gauges go will be cut out of an aluminum sheet, and will be painted the same blue color as the dash.

I am using a couple of Series 1, 2 1/16" VDO gauges for the Voltmeter and Vacuum and a really cool device from Engine WatchDog that lets you monitor both the engine temperature and the tranmission temperature and has an alarm sound when things go past the limit that you set up.

For the tachometer I got a SunPro Super Tach II and that I will basically mount it on the steering column.

But because I am a nut case when it comes to making things perfect, I ended up modifying the gauges as well by changing the faces and the needles to look exactly like the ones on the original cluster of the truck.

I have a graphic Design background so it wasn’t too hard for me to find the right typography and execute the design in illustrator:

Then I took it to a shop to print and installed it on my gauges. The tricky thing with customizing gauges is that first it is hard to open some of them and you have to be very careful you do not break anything. I did a good job and managed to successfully open all of them and carefully installed the new faces over the metal plates. You have to make sure it all lines up correctly.

Plates and needles out of the original gauges:

New faces on the plates installed:

This is a mockup of the printed faces on the gauges and on the assembly:

For the needles I ended 3D printing the ones on the small gauges, but these things are delicate and I ended up breaking one. And because that day was one of those days, I dropped the glass and broke it too. This is why I haven’t finished this yet. But it is all easy to repair, I just need more time :)

The broken glass

The Tachometer is finished tho, and for this one I used part of an original needle from a Ford truck that I found at a junkyard. I had to heavily modify the gauge needle to be able to fit the cap and not interfere with anything, but it finally worked.

And this is a test for the location of the whole cluster. I was originally going to put it aligned right under the heat/ac and radio controls:

But I think I like it better right in the middle of the cabin. That way I can also see it better.

As for passing the wires, I preinstalled a grommet on the firewall right when I had everything open that way it was so much easier. I will run all the wires together through there. Sorry I do not have pictures of this.

Since we are talking about grommets, even tho it is off topic, I never liked how the previous owner had speaker wires going under the carpet. So I run speaker wire from the dash to the top of the cabin to the back and drilled a hole there where I installed a grommet.

So much cleaner than having wires everywhere!

I will post the progress on the gauges once it is all done, I really can not wait!

I like creating things like this. And the best part is that if I ever want to remove it I only have to unbolt it from under the dash. I would hate to have to create unnecessary holes on the dash or break anything in there.

That is it for today! Have a great Saturday, or what is left of it, and see you tomorrow!

1978 Ford Bronco XLT

Jan'19 F.O.T.M.

Last edited by HCodi; 01-26-2019 at 10:16 PM. Reason: mispelling
post #88 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 10:31 AM
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.

Garage
Custom Pinstriping-Mother Nature Style

No this is not the pinstriping I am talking about.. haha

Yesterday I was dropping some donations off at the Salvation Army and the guy helping unload the donations said: "Man, that's the nicest Bronco I have ever seen, so clean."

We, of course, talked Broncos, he never had one but always wanted one. Seems like its a conversation starter no matter where I go or who I am talking to.

He statement about it being "clean" got me thinking. There are really only two ways to keep a Bronco "clean" that I can think of.
1- Never use it for things that will make it "dirty" or
2- Use it, but make sure you stay on top of "cleaning" it.

As you can tell from all my posts, we chose the latter. Our thought is why have a Bronco if you are not going to use it the way Ford intended.

So I tell you all of this because we don't always come back unscathed from our backcountry adventures.
I mentioned a few posts back that we use the Bronco to get us to the trailheads of all the 14,000' peaks here in Colorado.

Behind us is Snowmass Mt. near Marble CO. (Yeah we actually climbed to the top of that bad boy) As you can see its a stunning peak located in the Lead King Basin. Upon returning we decided to take the full loop road and visit the Crystal Mill.

I am willing to bet a few of you recognize the Crystal Mill. Besides the Maroon Bells, it's probably the single most photographed place in the state. A bit of history. The Crystal Mill is not actually a Mill, its a power station located on the Crystal River. It was used to provide power to the Sheep Mountain Mining company until 1917 when it closed.

See, more mining history opening up the backcountry. :)

It is also on the National Registry of Historic Places.

It's not the easiest place to get to. People primarily us 4wheelers and jeeps. I don't think I saw a single full-size vehicle besides ours.

I did run into a Jeep guy who didn't understand trail etiquette and insisted I back up for quite a ways to let him pass because he was too scared to back up himself. Sigh... I guess it was better than him driving off the side of the mountain.

Typical to the Colorado backcountry the roads are just narrow, this one was extra narrow.

I wish had some of the really narrow areas, but I was too busy driving:

In a couple of areas, the scrub oak was just so overgrown that I had to drive through it.. :/

You could hear mother nature etching her handy work into the sides.

OUCH

Still pains me to see but, if you wanna play you gotta pay and as you can see from the scenery, It was SO worth it!

What to do about this?

Hum?

My son to the rescue, but you will just have to wait for a later post, stay tuned.

July 2016 F.S.O.T.M
post #89 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 11:16 AM
Jan'19 F.O.T.M.

Garage
Custom gauges 02

Just a quick follow up on my custom gauges. I modified the 3D representation showing the gauge enclosure centered in the cabin with more interior details to make it easier to understand where things go.

I can not wait to finish this project and have it on my actual Bronco and not just a 3D render

Have a great Sunday!

1978 Ford Bronco XLT

Jan'19 F.O.T.M.

Last edited by HCodi; 01-27-2019 at 11:19 AM. Reason: grammar
post #90 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 06:12 PM
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.

Garage
Who needs New Paint

So what to do about this?

This and lots of time and energy spent by my son is the answer. This cabinet is filled with all the "right" polishing compounds, pads, clay bars and who know what else..

My son spent 2 full days and into the wee hours of the night (well past midnight both times) working on the Bronco paint. The results were and still are phenomenal. Its really hard for pictures do his work justice but below are a few...

The top portion of this picture is the "before" of the hood and bottom is the after. I never realized how much oxidation had occurred.

Similar here, the top portion is before, on the door, the bottom is after. If you notice he got a ton of the swirl marks out that come over time from washing.

This is a before shot of some brush scratches we got all down the passenger side..

This is the after. He got a nearly all of them out. A couple were just too deep and had actually scored the paint, but it looks 1000 times better

The hood is all done. Look at that near the factory shine. Pretty good for a 22+year old paint job

People are amazed that this is original factory paint. I clearly have passed along my Bronco addiction to my son, this was SO SO much work

I have a few more "if you want to play you have to pay" fixes we have done to the Bronco, but I have a mod we need to get to.
Patience tomorrow

As always thanks for reading and thanks for voting

July 2016 F.S.O.T.M

Last edited by 96bronco; 01-27-2019 at 06:14 PM. Reason: spelling
post #91 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 07:53 PM
Jan'19 F.O.T.M.

Garage
Sunday quickie

Hi everyone!

It is going to be a short one today. I had a leak at my house and spent most of the day back and forth from the house to the hardware store. It is all fixed now but what a day.

In any case, it was a good excuse to go to the hardware store and get me a new tool!

This is a handheld vacuum pump that will come handy for re-checking my 2150 carburetor and troubleshooting vacuum problems in the truck.

But enough of this and on with the post. These are just a couple of mods that I forgot to mention earlier and I thought you might like.

TRANSMISSION COOLER

First is the transmission cooler. I had an original factory transmission cooler but it was in rough shape, and the C6 tend to get really hot on me so I decided to install a bigger one.

This is the old one:

And this is the new one.

We ended up installing an F-Series transmission cooler that we found at a junkyard, the model number seems to be FCTH-7A095-BA. It really fit perfectly, we just had to mount it slightly higher than the original one because it was bigger so we had to drill extra holes, but that was really the easy part.

The hardest part was to bend and custom fit the lines. That took most of the time and it is not an easy task. All the credit goes once again to Ziggy, who did all the bending work. We used this type of brake line for the job:

And a special tool to make each bend on a bench and then test fit it each time for each of the bends.

WINDSHIELD WASHER FLUID / RADIATOR OVERFLOW TANK

This is an idea that came from Ziggy. He had it done in his Bronco and it seems to help clean up everything. We basically used the reservoir tank from a newer Bronco. I believe it’s the tank that the 1996 Broncos use and this is a Dorman replacement, the pumps you can find different brands that make them.

Ziggy made a mounting plate to mount on the fender apron.

I had some issues at the beginning because these tanks tend to leak where the pump goes, but after replacing the pump and using some silicone grease it hasn't leaked any more.

What is nice about this tank is that it uses the same factory plug as the 78-79s.

We also had to use an adapter for the hose because the factory one for 78-79s has a smaller ID.

And I reused a plastic bracket from my previous tank so I could easily remove it when needed. The end result is much cleaner and practical than the original.

KEEP PUMPING!

And to end this post I wanted to share with you this picture.

Strangely, enough there is a small oil field in the middle of the city and I always see it on my way to the hardware store. So I stopped and snapped a quick picture, I thought it was funny an oil pump next to the Bronco. Keep pumping! We need all the fuel we can get for our Broncos!

Have a great rest of the weekend!

1978 Ford Bronco XLT

Jan'19 F.O.T.M.
post #92 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 09:26 PM
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.

Garage
Another Play You Pay Project

I found another Play and Pay Project.

Our Ranchos have been sitting on the truck for over 15 years now. (yes they still work!) All the dirt roads and snowy Colorado winters made them really show the wear and tear.

This was another project my son really wanted us to tackle. I am sure its because he was driving it to school every day. He was right, they needed some attention.

Front all pitted and rusty..

Rears in even worse shape

All Sanded down and ready for primer and paint.

Making use of our professional paint booth. BWAHA Rancho recommended going with an enamel finish and sent me out new stickers to put on them for free. :)

All painted and installed. They look brand new again.

I am sure this project will give me at least 1mpg better and 5 hp.. lol.

I know I said I was going to wait until tomorrow but I just can't help myself.

I LOVE talking Broncos!

July 2016 F.S.O.T.M

Last edited by 96bronco; 01-27-2019 at 09:34 PM. Reason: content
post #93 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 08:38 AM
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.

Garage
Breaking Stuff Can Be Good?

Another snowy morning here in Colorado. Only 4 more days to talk Broncos!! Oh no, will we get it all in? I'm not sure I have so much left to tell, but let's keep moving!

I just love the light combo with the fog lights running. I think it looks tough.

Why can breaking stuff be good?

I was on an adventure taking my scouts rock climbing in Vedauwoo Wyoming (don't worry no one can pronounce it). It's an Arapahoe Indian word meaning "land of the earthborn spirit". Its one of the top rock climbing areas in all of Wyoming and a great place for the boys to either learn the basics, or continue to hone their skills.

After a full day of climbing, some of the boys started bugging me to go wheeling in the Bronco. Never one to pass up an opportunity to take the Bronco out I said "sure". We found some pretty fun places to go and on a particularly steep and rutted hill I stuffed the rear tires so hard that I kissed the back side of the factory steps and snapped them like little twigs.

RIP Factory board.. :(

Harder to see but the passenger side is broken as well

umm... mud

My first pass at fixing this was to duct tape them together for the ride home. Everyone carries duct tape in their toolbox right? That and baling wire.. haha

I actually spent considerable time using epoxy and resign to get one of them looking "ok" and I bought a used one that was the wrong color, and I repainted, etc. But this story is not about that.

I always choose my lines very carefully when out wheeling. I have seen the rocker damage that some rigs get when they become high centered. That is damage I do not want to have to tackle. Sliders would fix this!

Sticking to my bargain hunter roots, I waited patiently (as in a couple years) and finally, a set showed up for sale semi-local to me. I jumped on them.

The history on these sliders is that a member for long ago "Boondock" started making sliders for our Broncos. The Colorado club did a group purchase. At the time I was a poor married guy with 2 new kids so I was not able to participate. Interestingly enough, I am still a poor married guy with 2 kids. HAHA

They had some surface rust on them. My son spent a couple hours knocking it all off and getting them cleaned up.

Factory running boards removed, my son said it looks like it added 2" more of lift..lol This project was good timing because the factory mounts were nearly rusted out

Test fitting the slider, marking holes, cutting body mount bracket, etc.

Its just white primer in anticipation of getting a coat of black paint.

I am not sure if it's the same on all years but fun fact is that on my 96 the passenger frame tapers in slightly, so the front mounting arm was not quite long enough.

We made these shims to get the 1/2" to account for the taper.

First coat of black paint.

My son getting the bolts all tightened up.

Added some grip tape I found at Home Depot to both sides so they are not so "slippery when wet" This stuff is no joke, if you slide out of the truck with shorts on and catch the back of your calves on it, you WILL be left with a mark.

Drivers side

Passenger side.

These sliders were designed to be bolted to the frame and we had them set up that way for several months. But, we were just NOT happy with the amount of flex in them. Every time we would step on them it seemed like they would drop too far. We were worried about them not being effective if we actually hit a rock with them.

We went ahead and welded on. Much better!

I have been really happy with them.

What's in store for this afternoon?

I think I will just keep that a secret.

Happy Monday all see you this afternoon!

July 2016 F.S.O.T.M

Last edited by 96bronco; 01-28-2019 at 08:40 AM. Reason: content
post #94 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 08:42 AM
Jan'19 F.O.T.M.

Garage
Some Under work

Good Monday! Only 4 days left!

I barely have time to post every day, but I will keep doing my best!

I want to dedicate this post to one of the last things I did. The Fuel Tank, fuel lines and undercarriage.

I replaced my gas tank for a new one. I wasn’t confident of restoring the old one with all that rust and fuel still inside…

This is the old one:

And this is the new one and the installation process, which actually is very hard to do it yourself and I do recommend to have a helping hand but somehow I managed to pull it off by myself:

I took the skid plate to sandblast and powder coat, just wanted to have a more durable finish for it. It has quite a lot of pitting in the inside but the outside is perfect:

Added some foam strips (I was running out of it and had to improvise) to protect metal to metal contact:

I also restored the filling hose assembly:

A cool thing that I did not notice before is that I have the original Ford clamps and they are in great shape. At the beginning I thought it said Jeep, but its because they were very dirty and instead it says Ideal and on the other side Ford Size 6, so cool!:

As far as the undercarriage and frame I did the same I did in the front end. Cleaned 4 or 5 times with a degreaser and pressure water. Dried it with compressor and applied the Corroseal. I let that cure for 24 hours and then I painted it with a primer first and then with a final few coats of chassis black. Sorry, the pictures are not very good at showing the process:

This is before:

After a few passes of cleaning:

The final:

Another thing that was bothering me, the original trailer harness, what a mess:

I cleaned it all up and I will install a new connector later on. As a matter of fact, I removed the old shit around the old harness all the way from the front to the end and re-taped it and put it in some looming as well

You might have realized that I do not have any pictures of the new stainless steel fuel lines. The reason is because the installation was a PITA and I had my hands full in trying to make the thing go in place. Especially the front section. It just didn't not want to get in there. If I can I will snap a picture later to show you how it looks.

The one thing I screwed up is that after switching the tank and the sender unit, the system was basically dry. So when restarting the truck you have to be very careful not to step on the throttle too much. And of course, I did step on it too much… and I ended up flooding the engine and blowing the power valve on the carburetor. Yay! Truly a learning experience!

I somehow managed to finally start it but of course, it wasn’t running right because of the blown power valve and all that extra fuel.

In case this happens to you, a tip to let the fuel evaporate is to remove the air cleaner and leave the carburetor choke open overnight with the help of a screwdriver or something to hold it open.

I drove it the next day and another day but decided to stop, because it was running rich, I could notice a very potent smell of fuel. That is what happens when you blow a power valve.

This is the power valve. If when opening the power valve case you see any fuel in there that means that either the power valve is blown or the gasket is bad:

While in the process of fixing the carburetor, I also realized that my 2150 has a Variable Venturi. Which is a pain in the butt to deal with and I was advised to get one with a straight venturi.

This is what a variable venturi looks like:

And this is my fuel bowl, not so bad:

I inspected the needle and needle seat because my float wasn't seating properly:

The float didn't seem to be correct for the year of the truck, the one I have is smaller (on the left compared to a regular one on the right):

Now that I have an original Master Parts Catalog I could find that the original carburetor for my application has the ID Tag D7TE-DBA. And luckily I was able to find one for really cheap that needed to be rebuilt, but what are the odds… it also has a Variable Venturi! Oh well…

As you know, we ended up installing a straight venturi 2150 Motorcarft carburetor that Ziggy had, but I am still having a few issues. Unfortunately, I won't be able to have it fixed before this competition ends. I wanted to have a whole post here about it but I had to order a few parts that won’t get here in time so I guess that's that

But I will be posting the progress in my build page, so if you are interested head over there and I will continue with this journey!

That's it for the day! Thank you so much for reading!

1978 Ford Bronco XLT

Jan'19 F.O.T.M.
post #95 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 10:46 AM
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter

WOW, we now have 40 Votes... still not enough...

I am torn between two GREAT Builds, @thequietman threw in the towel early...

I love @HCodi 's '78 Bronco, some of you 'member when I had two of them Jrs. '79 and my '78, but this is not about me.

I also love @96bronco 's.

All the great things these two Contestants have done to their rigs is watt keeps most of us going... I know there could only be one winner but, You two already have won in my Book.

It's no secret I never reveal who I voted for but, this Month has been a real Challenge for me.

So it's still not over by a long shot. So keep those pix n vids comin in...

Thanks,
Allcruisen

VOTE For FOTM !!!

"DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR"
post #96 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 02:53 PM
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.

Garage
Give me Storage, or Give me Death..

Good Afternoon Bronco Lovers!

Who came back for their Bronco fix?

I admit it, I did! Oh wait I had to write this post, nevermind...

All this snow has me wanting to stay inside and work on the Bronco.
This has been my view most of the morning. They said less than 1", well it's a good 6+" right now.

Making sure I take care of my loyal readers and provide you with your afternoon Bronco reading material.

OK my title is a bit dramatic, I don't really want storage or death. Just better storage.

Let's face it, this one is not as useful as it could be:

An increasingly popular upgrade is to replace the stock center console with one from an Expedition. If you are considering doing this, you might want to know the pros and cons of it.

Pros:
-More storage space.
-You won't have to keep paying $20 each to replace those stupid cup holders that you keep losing.
-Nice armrests, it can replace the existing ones. read no more making the armrest bracket.
-Looks nearly factory
-Nice exterior storage place
-Way better cup holders
-Lots of extra power sources
-bac seat still folds down like normal

Cons:
-The console has to sit slightly towards the passenger side. It's not exactly centered between the two seats.
-It also sits at a very slight angle towards to passenger side. You can not do this if you are not trying to get it as close to the dash as possible.
-Where the console meets the dash on the passenger side there is a good 1/2" gap. I could not figure out a way to get it any closer.
- You will still see about 2" of your ashtray sticking out the side of the new console.

I decided I really liked all the pros and could live with the cons so I started looking around. These consoles are becoming harder and harder to find. I watched one on eBay for several months and it never moved because it was priced too high (IMO). I contacted the seller and countered with what I was willing to pay and a deal was struck.

I ended up with one out of an 04 expedition. Its the lighter tan color and my truck is mocha, but I have a solution for that.

Here is how it sits, minus the side panel.

The first step was test fitting and figuring out what needed to be trimmed on the Expedition console. Here is a mock-up of the side panel done in cardboard so we could easily trim it a little at a time to get the right fit.

Here is roughly what we ended up with for a cut line. We didn't really need to cut the square notch off at the bottom, but it was just easier to have it come all the way down in one line.

We took the lid off our old console and just had Home Depot color match it. Pro Tip- ask for the color sampler, It takes hardly any paint at all to do these pieces. Here is the cup holder partly painted.

Here are the two side panels side by side, one painted, one not.

Here are all the parts and pieces painted. We ended up doing two coats to get the coverage we wanted.

If you are just after the storage and not all the power outlets, this project might take far less time, but we wanted to take full advantage of the new console.

The Expedition console has a power port up top in the center, one on the passenger side panel, and one in the rear facing the back seat passengers.

Here are the ashtray and power outlet removed. We ended up just moving the power outlet from the dash to the console. Less wiring and besides the factory power point is now fully covered up by the new console.

This is the wiring for the passenger side outlet and the back seat outlet. We gutted all the existing Expedition wiring that went to the rear AC and radio controls. My son did all the soldering for this, as usual, he did a GREAT job.

In all my research I could never get a clear picture of how people actually mounted this to the truck. No one showed any brackets or mounting points. We fabbed our own.

Our new console has two mounting points that sit really high (6") off the carpet and about 10" forward of the factory console holes. To start with we used these straps as the mounts. If these do come with a factory bracket that would have made our lives much easier. So if you do buy one, make sure you get the bracket!

Hard to see, but this is the strap and how it attaches to the factory holes.

You can see the where the straps mount in the console here.

The rear was a bit more complicated. The console mounting point was also too high. We made this C channel looking bracket for it.

We used this foam seal I got at Home Depot to keep the console from rubbing against the dash.

Here it is installed.

Console from the side

The console sat like that until it was time to do the sound deadening. Because it was out and my OCD was not fully satisfied with all I wanted to do with it, it was time to give it some attention.

We decided a good use of the empty space from the radio and AC controls was the CB speaker.

The mounting screws ended up being a little too long and caught on the cup holder
Nothing a few washers couldn't fix:

Cup holder open:

The CB speaker has a volume control on the side as well as a noise cancellation button on the top, so we decided to leave it open air all around the speaker. If you look really closely you can see the unfinished interior of the console, but I doubt anyone is going to look that close.

The straps we originally used to secure it were not as sturdy I would have liked. The entire console tended to rock with the truck on hard turns. Not good. It was time to fix that.

Not the prettiest thing I have ever made, but this is the bracket we came up with to hold the center console. It way better than it was before. You see how far forward and higher the mounting holes are. The metal strap is on both sides of the wood. The two extensions of wood fit into slots on the back side of the console and then get bolted on. Fits like a glove now and VERY solid.

Functionality over form in this particular case. Also, note our 4x100 amp that will be nicely hidden under the new console.

While we were at it, we found a home for the CB. I know its a bit harder to get to, but let's face it, CB's are quickly being replaced with HAM radio. Colorado4x4Rescue uses HAM 99% of the time. I have it somewhere on my radar to get licensed and set up in the Bronco.

Back to the CB, there is a slot near the front of the console that almost begged us to mount the CB in it. We did need to mount the CB lower so we were not crimping the mic cord. My son cut this hole to fit.

Cords come out the bottom like this:

Final install.

Speaker and rear cupholder.

Mounted the base boost knob here:

All done! Side note, recall the 4x100 amp is also completely hidden under it.

This is one of my favorite upgrades to the Bronco (ok I know I say that a lot)

What will the morning bring?

Hard to say at this point, more trail runs? Upgrades? Repairs? The list is nearly endless.
But rest assured I will be here bright and early posting it up. I can't wait!

July 2016 F.S.O.T.M

Last edited by 96bronco; 01-28-2019 at 03:19 PM. Reason: added words to a sentence so it actually made sense
post #97 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 06:56 PM
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter

Cool

OK, All kidding aside, I was able to make it to Colorado with the FSB limo to meet up with @96bronco , even though I think they put something "funny " in the fuel tank, I couldn't make it to Cali to meet @HCodi this time around...

Come March, I'll make sure all FSB toys are fueled and ready to take me where ever!!!

Thanks for the great support,
Allcruisen
itwasFREE!!!! and Quader1 like this.

VOTE For FOTM !!!

"DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR"
post #98 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 07:20 PM
Jan'19 F.O.T.M.

Garage
That's a shame @allcruisen we are having really good weather here, and no funky businesses
Quader1 likes this.

1978 Ford Bronco XLT

Jan'19 F.O.T.M.
post #99 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 01:30 AM
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCodi View Post
That's a shame @allcruisen we are having really good weather here, and no funky businesses
OK, That's it, I'm walking to Cali

Allcruisen
HCodi likes this.

VOTE For FOTM !!!

"DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR"
post #100 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 08:32 AM
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.

Garage
Family Bronco Time

Good Morning Bronco Parents!

We all think of our Broncos like our kids right?

It's a balmy 7 degrees here. I bet @allcruisen you are glad you stopped by when you did. That funny stuff in the gas tank is ethanol for the altitude, at least that my story and I'm sticking to it... BWAHA.

I can't tell you how much FUN this month has been. BUT we are not quite done yet. Those that are holding their votes until the very end know I am going to finish this competition exactly the way I started it, by talking Broncos, sharing upgrades, going on trail runs NON-STOP.

So lets head to the mountains again. The Bronco is the absolutely perfect vehicle to get us out and see the scenes. It's not always about tackling a hard trail or getting 4 wheeling experience. Sometimes it's just about family time. My wife and daughter are not big into wheeling or hiking the big peaks in CO, but they do love to get out and see all the scenery. One big draw is all the mountain lakes.

You know by now that we can't go on a trail ride without some trivia talk. We know Minnesota is the land of 10,000 lakes. Colorado may be landlocked but that doesn't mean it doesn't have its fair share of shoreline. I couldn't find the exact number of total lakes but here are a few fun facts:

-There are over 2,000 man-made lakes.
-The largest and deepest natural lake in Colorado is Grand Lake
-Rocky Mountain National Park has over 150 lakes inside its borders
-There are literally 10's of thousands of small glacial lakes in Colorado
-Colorado has 150 permanent snowfields and 14 named glaciers
-More major rivers have their source in Colorado than in any other state.

That is a lot of water!

These are some photos on a trip we took up to visit said scenery:

I really love this picture of me and my wife, The Bronco gets us to amazing places like this

BRONCOS = FAMILY

I might even post up a couple of times today, just to make sure we finish the Bronco story

July 2016 F.S.O.T.M

Last edited by 96bronco; 01-29-2019 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Messing with Photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Ford Bronco Forum > Welcome > F.O.T.M Voting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode