Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

918Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
F.O.T.Y. 2017

Bronco Info: 78 W/400
Garage
January Full Size of the Month 2019 Vote Here!!!!

Then there was 3, Good luck guys !!!!!

Here are your contestants for January 2019 FULLSIZE OF THE MONTH!!!!!

1) @thequietman

2) @96bronco

3) @HCodi

Show us what you've got and make us proud!!!

Want to chat with one of the contestants on an upgrade or anything ? Post up here: Chat with the contestants . This is going to be a GOOD ONE !!!!! Let the games... begin!!!

Last edited by Quader1; 01-22-2019 at 01:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 01:26 PM
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.

Bronco Info: 1996 EB
Garage
Let get this started!

First, let me say a big Happy New Year to my fellow FSB peeps.

Next a big thank you to @MS88Bronc for the nomination. I am honored that you think my Bronco is worthy of competing with all the other amazing trucks on this site.

Good luck to my fellow competitors, this is going to be a fun month, you all have some nice Bronco's. Let’s give the members a good showing and start the FOTM off right.

I am going to kick things off with a few pics of the evolution of my Bronco through the years.
Here is the truck the day I brought it home in 1996:

Plus a few others shots:

Almost immediately I voided the factory warranty and installed a lift:

I was (and still am) watching my pennies, so I had to run out the tread on the factory tire. When the time came for new ones, I went with some 33x12.5 ATs

I ran 33’s for a number of years and when those wore out I stepped up to 35x12.5 Toyo MTs

A little more recently I added an additional 2” of lift (we will get to that story later). This is how she looks today:

A few specs on things I have added\modified\changed:
-8” Lift: Front Dever springs, 2” coils spacers, extended radius arms
-Rear: Hefty Shackle flip, JBG heavy duty springs and Zero rate offset
-Bilstein 5100 Shocks all around
-Dual Rancho steering stabilizer shocks
-Saginaw power steering pump
-Stainless steel brake lines
-Warn Premium manual hubs
-1 ton master cylinder and brake booster
-35x13.5 Toyo MT’s on American Racing rims
-4.56 Gears front/rear
-Ruff Stuff Diff Cover (rear)
-Custom Rear bumper with dual jerry cans, hi-lift mount w/ 60" Hi-lift, spare tire carrier, Class III tow hitch, Built-in tool carrier, 2 d rings, tire arm locks at 90 and 180 degrees, 2 KC LED backup pods.
-BroncoAir front bumper, 2 PIAA fog lights, Malik grill guard with 2 KC spotlights and 2 KC flood lights
-Warn 15K winch with 3/8” synthetic line and wireless remote
-Custom rock sliders
-MOOG steering upgrade
-04 Expedition center console
-Uniden CB radio 4’ FireFly antenna
-OTRATTW custom 6 switch panel
-Edelbrock upper and lower intakes
-GT40 Heads
-All LED bulb conversion
-Dual Optima yellow tops
-Zero gauge wire upgrade
-200 amp power master alternator
-Full interior sound deadening
-Kenwood Excelon head unit
-JBL speakers for front and rear
-Alpine MRX-M110 1100w amp
-Alpine PDX F4 100wx4
-2 10" Alpine Type R subs in custom built box
-Punisher Valve body

And anything else I might have forgotten...
-4 Bolt power steering pump upgrade
-BBK 56mm Throttle Body

1996 Eddie Bauer 351W/E40D/Dana 44, TTB R 8.8 (4.56 F&R), 6" Lift, 35x13.50 Toyo MTs, sag PS, 1 ton brakes, off-road bumpers, Warn 15K, Edelbrock intakes, lots 'O lights.
Build thread: http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=352625
Supermord site: http://www.supermotors.net/registry/26920
July 2016 F.S.O.T.M

Last edited by 96bronco; 01-03-2019 at 03:33 PM. Reason: added another upgrade
post #3 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 07:00 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer
Garage
Horses

I am very thankful that I was nominated because there are some amazing rigs on here that showcase some great fabrication, attention to detail and just plain awesomeness. This is kind of a big overview of how I ended up here. I cut my teeth working on 66-70 mustangs when I was younger but I got my first bronco out of a field near Lenoir City, TN Its the burgundy 73 below. Then I got the blue 78 before I got the one I have now. We also built a 77 that was a frame off resto-mod for my daughter. So we love Broncos.

My black 95 Eddie Bauer started out with my parents buying it in 99. It was beige and khaki when they had it and when I bought it. I needed a vehicle to drive in 2004 since my unit got activated and for two months I was driving 90 miles round trip. My folks sold it to me for what they owed on it. While I was gone the first time, it sat for over 20 months except for the occasional drive by my better half to keep it from setting up too long. When it needed front brakes and bearings, a local shop did it for free for my wife. I love small town America.

It has been my daily drive since 2004 except for the 20 months already mentioned, another 18 months in 08-09 for another tour and them it was my sons daily driver from 2012 till 2015 when I got it back. So that is why its a family affair. We have all pulled maintenance on it, repairs on it and drove the hound out of it. We drove it out to a place called Nemo in TN and the old railroad tunnel always has at least a foot of water in it. Its a mile long and it was a great place to go play until my vent line for my rear diff got cut on something and water got in. I know I shoulda changed it as soon as I got out of there. Since I didn't, it let me know pretty quick going down the interstate to Ft. Bragg, the carrier bearings started singing. This Bronco has all kinds of memories like the one where my son got his first ticket in it.

When my son got it in 2012, he wanted it painted black so we borrowed a friends paint and body shop booth for the weekend. We had prepped it by removing the top, doors, hood and tailgate beforehand. We kept the 2 tone and the top was done later in monstaliner.

In 2017 I was finally able to start the mods list I had been keeping for a long time. I did the MAF conversion from fiveology and had no issues when I was done. The diffs got rebuilt with Yukon gear ring and pinions 4.09 front and 4.10 in the rear. The 4" lift was installed with the help of a local shop that got the rivets out and then I put it together. They aligned it when I was done. I did destroy the rear drive shaft due to the new angles. I put in 6 degree shims but the drive shaft was done. I finished the lift about 8pm and no local parts store had a new driveshaft. Did I mention this is my daily driver? I had a 400 mile trip the next day so I called a parts store along my route in a larger city and they had one. When I got there the next day, I was asked when I would have the core back and I said," bout 20 minutes if all goes well." It did and I was glad because that original drive shaft would not have made the whole trip.

I also had the E4OD rebuilt to handle the 427 and then drove it for about a year before I saved enough money to start on the engine. I have built a few engines but this was my first computer controlled EFI. I did wrestle with the head selection but in the end I just had the long block built with GT-40's figuring that if I didn't like them I could always change them. My goal here was a solid daily driver not 600HP. All these mods were time vs money so I did all the work I felt comfortable doing but when I knew it would be faster and probably better I asked for help. When I finished the engine and started it up, I had an injector stuck open. I had sized 36# injectors but since one was stuck open it almost ruined the engine. The vendor took them back and now my 30# ford racing set at 50psi seem to be keeping up nicely.

The tuning part was the steepest learning curve. Pops Racing has been by far the biggest help I have gotten in the tuning world. I have ran into primadonnas, who know EVERYTHING....just ask them, they will tell you. I bought a QuarterHorse tuner, Binary Editor software and an Innovate LC-2 wideband O2 sensor. This required a ton of reading and study to understand the basics behind tuning and while I made a tune that got this running I knew it could be refined further. Right now the engine pulls strong thru 4500rpm and gets 11mpg driving to work. Im happy.

The list of MODS;

427W - longblock built by Creb Engineering
Edelbrock 3881 intake with 61mm BBK TB port matched
JBA coated shorty headers
Ford Racing 30's set at 50psi
MAF conversion from fiveology
K&N (dry) CAI with the IAT relocated to the snorkel
Stock distributor (replaced MSD due to walking)
Electronic fuel pressure gauge mounted in the 2006 Expedition console
Innovate LC-2 with AFR gauge mounted in the 2006 Expedition console
Mechanical oil pressure gauge same place
Champion radiator and all new hoses (Explorer heater valve mod off this forum)

Driveline - Rebuilt 8.8 and Dana 44 with 4.10 and 4.09 gears. Trutrak rear.
Built E4OD
Hydraboost conversion front disc and rear drum (ALL rebuilt in the past 18 months)
Dick Cepek DC-2's 15x10
Mickey Thompson ATZ 33x12.50 15's

Interior - Recovered F-150 EB seats with a six way power driver seat base with lumbar (I have a bad back)
2006 Expedition console modified
Alpine head unit with infinity speakers in the front and Kickers (now) in the rear
Entire inside covered with sound deadening material any where I could find bare metal to stick it to.
Overhead console repaired with the info from this forum

I look forward to this month, we have a great set of Bronco's even if we are 2 short. I wish the best of luck to all involved and I hope to meet some of you when I go to Moab in April. I'm driving this thing from south GA to Moab and I know the half baked mechanic who did most of the work on it (me) so all of you who pray send me some for travelling mercies. More to follow.

Not sure why my first two pics are inverted??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190101_095427.jpg (126.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20190101_095317.jpg (195.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20180722_153640.jpg (301.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20181208_112525.jpg (259.2 KB, 8 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 07:28 PM
Jan'19 F.O.T.M.

Bronco Info: 1978 Ford Bronco Ranger XLT 400 V8 6.6L
Garage
The Roadtrip

Thank you so much for the opportunity to share the experiences with my Bronco and Happy New Year to everyone! I hope I will entertain you a bit with my stories, although some of you might already know them :)

When I think of the adventures that I’ve had with my Bronco, I feel that the one my wife and I experienced when we originally purchased it, really is the greatest.

After a bit of frustration with a previous almost brand new truck that kept failing, we got rid of it and the idea of buying an old truck came to me because I had been obsessed with American old trucks since I was a kid.

I am originally from Europe, born and raised in Barcelona, Spain. And you couldn’t and still now can’t see any of those trucks anywhere in Europe unfortunately. I would only see them in movies or hear about them in songs, and I always thought they were so cool. When I was a kid I had a 78 Ford toy truck that looked something like this:

It was one of my favotite toys. And in the back of my head, I’ve always had the dream of owning a real one. Luckily my wife was totally on board with this, she already has a passion for vintage cars of her own.

So the search began. My idea was to find one as close to stock as possible, that wouldn't require much work and if it had things to be fixed that it would not be too complicated.

I had been looking for a couple of months and I stumbled onto this eBay ad for a 1979 400 V8 A/T. And for some reason, I thought it was great. I do not know what I was thinking.

Long story short, the truck was paid for, non-refundable and the seller turned out to be a pro scammer. Just a simple google search with his name would show a couple of previous criminal records… scary.
He was taking forever to ship and we were getting really nervous so we decided to fly to Idaho all the way from Los Angeles to see it in person and drive it back. He promised it was driveable but he was not going to be there, he left the keys at a shop close by. Yes, we are crazy.

We get there, and the list of wrong things with that Bronco was too much… just to name a few:

-Non-working turning signals and brake lights.
-Cracked windshield side to side.
-Cracked rear driver’s side quarter glass.
-Incorrect and loose throttle spring.
-Loose and misaligned steering wheel.
-Rust everywhere, when the seller stated rust free on the original ad.
-A weird noise that we could not figure out where it was coming from.
-It wasn’t even the correct year listed in the ad! it was a 1978!
-A lot of cosmetic damage that*was hid*in the original ad.
-And of course, leaks everywhere.

Obviously, the list would go on and on later down the road, but these were some of the things we noticed right away.

I know some of you might be thinking that the Bronco did not look that bad after all, but for the price we paid we could have bought 2 or 3 like this one. I really screwed up on that.

My wife was crying, and I was about to have a nervous breakdown. The seller was rude and he does not even deserve to be mentioned here, so I will skip all the long and pointless phone conversations I had with him that day.

So there I am, testing the Bronco. I press the throttle, and the pedal goes all the way down and gets stuck there! I almost hit a building wall! As best as I could I tried to pull the throttle up as I was braking and stopped the truck. Everyone was looking at me like I was crazy hahaha

Thank god there were some really cool mechanics there and they helped us because I was in a bit of a shock and clueless. Luckily that wasn’t too hard to fix, just a loose spring. I don't have pictures of the moment, but this was the setup. The bracket was completely loose and the spring flew off:

Despite the craziness, my wife was trying to cheer me up and got me a few lotto tickets, maybe that way we could recover the money! haha But no, we didn't...

So now, imagine us attempting to drive back to Los Angeles, a 1,000 miles in that monster that was slowly falling apart. We crossed our fingers and started driving.

Everything was going fine. Until it got dark. And we looked at each other and thought: we never checked the headlights! But phew, the one thing that worked! hahaha

We were still in Idaho but quite far already from the place we got it. Close to Weiser, it was when the police stopped us. You should have heard us:

Wife
-Let’s switch sides. If they see a female on the wheel maybe they will go easy on us.

Me
-No! they are going to see us switching.

Wife
-We can do it really quick! (as she was removing her seatbelt).

Me
-What are you doing! put your seatbelt back on!

(We are almost getting at each other at that point).

Wife
-Let me do the talking then!!

And the officer was already there and saw us arguing… Turns out they were stopping us because of the non-working brake lights. The best part was when one of them says:

Officer
-Did you guys realize that the front plate and rear plate do not match? And that none of them matches the VIN number of this vehicle? That is a red flag for a stolen car.

My wife and I looked at each other and we both were pale as a ghost.

Luckily, they checked it and it was not stolen. But he had to remove the plates. So now let’s drive 900 miles with no plates! Yay!

In the end, I guess they felt really bad for us after we explained the whole story and let us go! How lucky! They turned out to be the nicest and coolest officers we have ever met. They loved the Bronco and kept saying how cool it was which was a relief to hear because I could see how my wife was really terrified and I felt terrible that this was all
my fault. We even took a picture with them! We are friends on facebook now! This is my wife Bree next to them:

We checked in at a motel for the night and decided to keep going the next day.

In the morning, everything was going ok. We were having so much fun, enjoying the landscape

My wife laying in the back while I was driving.

Cruising along the long endless highways. Listening to music, or trying to… that engine was so loud! hahaha.

With a 4bbl Holley carburetor, an Edelbrock Performer intake and dual exhaust, it really sounded badass!

So little I knew at that moment that this was all illegal in California, right where we were headed.

And then it happened. That noise we were hearing at the beginning, it just got really really loud all the sudden. By that point we were in the middle of a desert, I believe we
just had entered California. And there we were, in the middle of nowhere. No business close by. Barely any cars passing by. Stranded by the side of the road.

Luckily, an amazing couple stopped to help us. The guy was so cool I feel terrible that I did not keep his contact because he was super nice. We tried to find the origin of the noise, we checked the oil, trans fluid… but nothing seemed to be wrong. They ended up leaving and he left me a few extra fluid jars for the road just in case. I wanted to compensate him for the help, but he refused and told me to try to do the same thing if I ever were to encounter anyone in need in the future. Isn’t that nice?

So we decided to keep on going, driving very carefully, really slow till the next town. Remember: no turning signal, no brake lights, misaligned steering and whatever that noise was… and here we go, at 10mph and it was getting dark. I think it took us about 2 and half hours to get to the next town which was about 20 miles away. I had a movie clip of
that night but I lost it.

Next morning we go to a shop and make them check everything. At the time they still could not find the source of the problem. But they put new grease on the driveshaft and that seemed to calm down the noise a bit.

Later on, I would discover and fix on my own that noise. It was this yoke and the u-joints in the rear driveshaft:

What the heck is that rope doing in there?

Armed with lots of courage, we decided to finish what we started and got back on the road. This is me pretending everything is cool.

For some miracle, we ended up making it to Los Angeles and we did not have any more issues. Except the noise was still there. We were really worried that when we got to LA
the cops would go crazy on us, but everything went fine and we arrived safe and sound. In the end, it had been a great adventure and we ended up having a lot of fun. We had
been really lucky too, that is for sure.

And we did kill a few mosquitoes along the way

Yes, I should never have bought a vehicle without seeing first and I should have researched more about the truck before purchasing. But then, where would the fun be!? And I sure learnt a lot after this.

So that is all for my first post! More coming up soon! Hope I didn't bore you much!

1978 Ford Bronco XLT

Everything in the 70's was so much better!

Visit my built thread here!

Jan'19 F.O.T.M.
post #5 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 06:57 AM
Fullsize Member

Garage
The interior was a challenge. I messed up by taking out the stock captain chairs when I should have just rebuilt them. Now a lot of time and money later, here I am with EB seats from an F150...that I had recovered and a console from a 2006 Expedition.

When my son was getting this, we took everything out of the interior. Original seats, seat brackets, trim panels, headliner....then we took peel and stick and covered every bare piece of metal we could find. We put the jute padding over that. We kept the original carpet but hung new (to us) door panels. All the seals were replaced after we painted it and we put in exploder seats on their original bases....

The good was new seats and a six way drivers seat base.

The bad was now the passenger seat didnt flip and fold...but since the original console was still in it his friends were young, they could just climb over...😁

In reference to an earlier seat discussion here, the size of the person SHOULD come into the decision making process of new seats....it didnt take me long to hunt new seats when I got it back. I found the 40/20/40 seat in a local JY. The shop recovered them in OEM leather and stitched the logo in them as well. The jump seat was never used and when folded down it wasn't much as a storage console. So back on here looking at that expedition console install thread.
I found one locally but it was gray. I tried painting it with interior dye but just didnt like it so I went to an infamous auction site and found the 2006 tan one I needed.

It had a big storage tray right where it met the dash and the gray one had a cover that fit it perfectly so I figured hey let's mount stuff there. My CB is a present from my better half that she gave me 29+years ago, then I needed to keep an eye on oil pressure so out came the hole saw....🙃 oh wait what about AFR...once again....hole saw......then when the engine was stuttering at 4500rom....what about fuel pressure.....so ....yep you guessed it hole saw.....

So the semi final product for the interior is the F150 seats on the six way base with lumbar for the driver an original passenger seat bracket (that was hard to find....dont throw anything away) the console is a massive improvement. The rear seat is OEM...the cab is fully insulated with all new seals. The music is from an Alpine head unit with remote, infinity speakers in the doors and Kicker rear speakers.

Its quieter than original. Has more console functionality and is more comfortable. I still think I should have kept the OEM seats but live and learn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190101_082713_1546429694173.jpg (224.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20190101_082623_1546429818366.jpg (158.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20190101_082613_1546429927400.jpg (192.6 KB, 9 views)
post #6 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 09:26 AM
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.

Garage
Bronco History

Now that we have had a day to recover from New Year’s I will tell you all about my Bronco story, or more accurately my families Bronco story.

My first memory of Broncos was growing up. Ghosteh (with his amazing Border Patrol resto) reminded me that I left this out the first part of the original story. My Dad worked for the National Park Service for 35 years in Law Enforcement. Through those years he always seemed to have a Bronco somewhere in his choices of vehicles. I loved that truck and whenever he would let me ride along I felt like I was the coolest kid around.

I don’t have a picture of his actual Bronco but this is pretty much what it looked like:

We were a Ford family and my Dads personal vehicle was Red 1972 F250. It seemed like there was nothing this truck couldn’t do. It hauled wood, went 4wheeling, lugged around a pop-up camper. I ended up buying this truck from my Dad when he was selling it to get a new 89 F350, but in the back of my head, I always knew that I really wanted a Bronco.

Case in point, in elementary school. There was an art contest and the theme of the contest was “I have a dream..” my theme was “I have a dream to own a Bronco”, and I drew a picture of a Bronco driving in the hills. I also remember reading 4wheeler magazine and on issue featured matching 78 or 79 Broncos. They were big, black, and BUILT. I wanted one!

Broncos seem to always be in my life. My father-in-law owns a white 79 Bronco that he has had from before I ever started dating my wife. He still has it garaged, never drives it, yet refuses to sell to me lol… Someday.

Back to me getting a Bronco. You would think I would have gotten one right away but life always seemed to get in the way. First, it was school, then marriage, then buying a house, then kids. But eventually, the day did finally come when everything lined up for me to get my dream Bronco. That was the fall of 1996.

Yes I do still have my original 1996 Ford Bronco sales brochure lol

Problem was that Ford stopped making the Bronco in the spring. Given how long I had waited and the fact that I had very specific ideas of the Bronco I wanted, none of the ones still sitting on the dealer lots matched.

Not to be deterred, I went to the newspaper classifieds. Yes from the actual paper that they throw in the driveway. Some of you guys remember those right? I finally found a guy selling my dream Bronco. It was pretty high mileage, for as “new” as it was- 23,000 miles, but I didn’t care, it was perfect. I probably overpaid for it at the time, but 22 years later I still don’t care.

Here are a few pictures of pictures from my photo album. Yes, I have printed pics in photo albums that I had to go find these from.

You couldn’t wipe that smile off my face if you tried. Broncos will do that to you.

It’s fun to look back on these old pictures and see how the Bronco used to look, and how I used to look. The Bronco has aged way better than I have..

Through its 22 years in our family, The Bronco had truly lived up to its billing as a multi-use vehicle. It was my daily driver for years and years, It’s taken us on long road trips, gone 4wheeling, been my haul truck for house remodels, still is the source of countless hours of quality bonding time with my son.
I doubt there is anyone who loves their Bronco more than me, well except my son..lol

It has now evolved into primarily a hobby truck that we really enjoy spending time working on. We use it to get to many remote places in Colorado to go hiking, backpacking, do scouting events or just take it out for a joy ride.

I will get to this story sometime this month, but I recently had exposure to an organization called Colorado4x4Rescue. I joined the group and I am now tweaking my Bronco build to better serve its mission.

I love this truck..

Great start to the month, love all the stories guys!

1996 Eddie Bauer 351W/E40D/Dana 44, TTB R 8.8 (4.56 F&R), 6" Lift, 35x13.50 Toyo MTs, sag PS, 1 ton brakes, off-road bumpers, Warn 15K, Edelbrock intakes, lots 'O lights.
July 2016 F.S.O.T.M

Last edited by 96bronco; 01-02-2019 at 10:19 AM. Reason: spelling
post #7 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 05:46 AM
Fullsize Member

Garage
Headlights:

A pretty simple subject but just another memory. When my son and I took this apart to paint it, we took all the trim off the front. We replaced the headlight buckets, turn signals and grill. Since most of us on this forum have probably grown up with incandescent bulbs 😁 I didnt want that for him so we put those sylvania super brights in and adjusted them..(I thought) It was really a great time working on this with him. We had all worked on his sister's 77 and now we were building his....I wish I could figure out how to insert a pic but I'll just attach them below.

He drove this for about 2 years legally. He had been learning to drive in it for about a year before he got his permit when it was stock. When I got it back, the first time I drove it at night I was shocked. The headlights were really not all that good. He had never said a word. I smacked a deer on the way to work one early morning so i started looking for a better solution.

I research stuff too much....but I ended up with the halo lights and man do they make 100% difference. While I had them out I also did the HD relay wiring and if I ever hit another deer at night it wont be because I wasnt paying attention.

The pic below was on the way to work this morning. I hardly ever run the high beams. When I put these in, I was concerned at just how bright they are so I shimmed them a little downward and left and with the built in eyebrow I dont get high beamed back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190103_044923_1546511952579.jpg (55.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20190101_082919_1546511985239.jpg (228.6 KB, 4 views)
post #8 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 08:51 AM
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.

Garage
Lifted Bronco Version 1

Good Morning FSB!!
I hope it warmer where you are than it is here, lets talk BRONCOS!

Having the same vehicle for 22 years means that you get to be a part of every evolution it goes through. My Bronco is no exception. It has been everything from a daily driver, kids school vehicle to what you see today. I titled this version 1 because, while the truck has been lifted nearly all its life, it has gone through many versions.

Growing up my Dad was always doing the maintenance and most repairs on our vehicles. We never got into serious restorations or engine rebuilds, but I do have fond memories of doing things like brakes, radiators, starters and things like that. I point this out because it gave me the confidence and knowledge of how vehicles work. When my son was old enough we carried on the tradition.

Another invaluable resource is this very site. There are so many people willing to share their knowledge, it's amazing. I think every single idea and mod I have made to the Bronco has either come from this site, or has had any number of questions answered for me.

Through this site, I met two great guys Steve and Keith. They not only offered up their expertise but also their time and Steves shop to help me install the lift. Both of them have since moved on from their Broncos. I lost touch with Keith (TTBlows) if anyone remembers him, but Steve and I still keep in touch after all these years.

Guys all jumping in to git 'er done:

Stock vs Cepek radius arms

Keith-safety first..lol

Steve leading the charge:

Steve had a really nice shop to work in and all the tools you could ever need.

Stock Springs vs Cepek

TTB out:

Frontend removed. I now wish I had taken Keith's advice and just done a SAS, but at the time it was the right choice.

I remember it seeming like it was SO tall..lol if I only knew:

Interesting story about how the lift I ended up with. At the time, Cepek was the preferred brand. The problem was he was in the process of selling the business. The lifts were no longer being made, only the tires. I called around but no one had any inventory. I ended up getting in touch with Tom Cepek directly. He checked all his sources but no luck. He really went the extra mile for me and eventually found me one in one of his garages.

There might have been a reason this one was sitting on a shelf not sold. I "wanted" a 4" lift but when we got it all set up it was clear that the 4" bracket was not the right one. We moved it down to the 6" and presto it worked. The problem was the springs were not 6", they were 5". This caused the ripple effect, I had to get new lift blocks for the rear and new shocks for the front. At the end of the day, The 5" of measured lift gave me more room running the 33's but when I moved to 35's they would kiss the bumper and running boards. Yet another story for later this month

I will leave you with a few fun shots of the Bronco:

July 2016 F.S.O.T.M

Last edited by 96bronco; 01-03-2019 at 10:36 AM. Reason: added some pics
post #9 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 04:21 AM
Jan'19 F.O.T.M.

Garage
Bruce

Cool posts everyone! Sorry, I can't post that often. Just a quick read about naming my ride and the next post I will start getting more technical.

Like my Bronco, I too was made in the 70s. I was born in 1975, I am 43 years old and for me the 70s were the best decade. I love the culture, I love the style, I love the cars and I love the music: Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Who, The Doors... I grew up playing 70s music in bands and pretending the 70s never ended.

But for me, there was always an artist with whom I felt a very special connection... Bruce Springsteen. And apparently he loves 70s Ford trucks too:

I love his first 3 albums, especially Born to Run. So when I was thinking of naming my Bronco, and since 1978 was the year of one of his best albums, Darkness on the Edge of Town, I felt it would be perfect to name my ride... Bruce. With all the struggles this poor truck has had along the long endless Thunder Roads, tearing Up the Highway like a Big Old Dinosaur, he was Born in the USA, a Runaway American Dream, a Pure American Brother!!

I know you are supposed to give your ride a female name, and that this is somewhat unconventional, but much like most Bronco owners, I am unconventional and like doing things my own way.

Anyways I hope y’all are having a great day! I’ll sure have a great one, blasting Jungleland while cruising in my Bronco, Bruce! And don’t let em take me to the Cadillac Ranch!

1978 Ford Bronco XLT

Jan'19 F.O.T.M.
post #10 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 10:48 AM
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.

Garage
The Slippery Sound System Slope

I am bouncing around a bit as far as the timeline of my Bronco. I figured for those who have been around a while, might enjoy seeing some of the more recent updates we have done.

What does the title "slippery sound system slope" mean? Much like each of us in life, we all go through different stages. At this particular stage of my Broncos life, my son had inherited it from his sister as his daily driver: (school, work and socializing). Ever since he could carry a socket or grab me a wrench, he has been helping me build the Bronco. It's as much his as it is mine. Up to this point, we had been doing upgrades based on my preference and whatever "deal" I could score.

My son came to me one day and said the Bronco's stereo sounds like sh#!. Can we upgrade it a bit? Honestly, up to that point, I hadn't pay much attention to it. It's a 20-year-old truck that had seen 1,000s of miles of dirt roads, running 35" MTs. I could barely hear the music, let alone decide if it sounded any good. Given the countless hours, he had spent helping build and maintain the truck, plus an opportunity to spend more time wrenching with him it was a no-brainer. Besides how hard could it be to put in a new head unit and some speakers right!...right? You guys know where this is going.

I then dipped my toe in the car audio world.. wow what an education it ended up being. To start with, the options for just head units are endless, let alone when you start talking amps, speakers and subs. Along with so many options also comes a huge range of price points. I quickly became overwhelmed with it all. Back to FSB I went. I can't begin to list them all, so I will just say thanks to all the audio experts who walked me through this entire month-long project. You find a recurring theme in all my posts: I am a bargain hunter. I rarely if ever just buy something, it has to be on sale or a great deal used.

I finally settled on a head unit and some decent speakers that I got on sale around the holidays. My son kept buzzing in my ear about the need for a good set of subs to go along with them.. SLIPPERY SLOPE

More research, more time asking questions here on FSB. I eventually stumbled across a guy who had recently sold his truck to an older gentleman. That guy had no interest in the sound system, in fact, the opposite, he wouldn't buy it unless it was taken out. The setup was less than a year old and (imo) pretty decent equipment. After watching it not sell and the price drop a couple of times I finally decided to jump on it.

Kenwood Excelon head unit
JBL speakers front and rear
Alpine MRX-M110 1100w amp
Alpine PDX F4 100wx4
2 10" Alpine Type R subs in box
All upgraded wiring.

As I was researching how to install and set up my new found "deal", the concept of sound deadening entered the picture... SLIPPERY SLOPE!

It made total sense part of the reason I never noticed the quality before was because of all the road noise. I won't get into the debate of all the different materials out there and what does and doesn't work, but suffice to say you have many options with many different opinions. I landed on a new (at the time) material called sound skins. You can google it to get all the details but it was a one installation solution to get the best sound from your system. Being new there were some (now nonexistent) deals on it.

There is no easy way to install sound deadening material. It has to go on the metal surface of the interior. The only way to get to it is to remove whats covering it.
We started with the doors. We quickly discovered the front speakers were trashed from all the bouncy dirt roads.

Trim panel off and factory vapor barrier. I discarded this:

Door panel all pulled off. Lots of time and effort involved in cleaning. Everything I have read stresses the importance of installing on a clean surface. This takes a lot of time and elbow grease.

clean, clean, clean:

I took the trim and used it as a template to cut the craft paper.

Then I taped the craft paper to the door. Its kinda hard to explain but I first traced out all the stuff that needed to be cut out and open, like the speaker hole, and the door handle. After cutting those out, I went back and traced the voids (access holes), I then cut just the paper backing covering the sticky side of the SoundSkin. What I ended up with was a solid covering of SoundSkin on the front, but on the back where the voids are the protective cover over the sticky side remained. That way I didn't have a bare sticky mess to collect dirt and dust.

If I ever need to gain access I should just be able to cut those and not have a sticky mess to deal with. I hope that makes sense. Putting a light in the door cavity really helped in finding all the right holes.

Here's the passenger door all done:

Here is the new speaker in:

As we were doing the front doors we could already tell the "noise" inside the truck was diminishing. We decided while we were into this project, maybe we should go ahead and do the rest of the truck... You guessed it. SLIPPERY SLOPE

Onto the rear speakers and panels. We found both back speakers were broken exactly like the fronts were. Holy dirt and dust. This should prove my truck is NOT a pavement princess, lol.

My son getting SoundSkin installed.

It took a lot of time and measuring to get it all to fit correctly. Once its put down it is really not coming back off.

All done. We bought some foil tape to tape all the seams up so its nice and clean.

Getting the seats all removed:

Carpet all out:

Found this:

While it was all out we carpet cleaned all the pieces:

Managed to sheer off one of the rear seat bolts. Spent a couple hours drilling it out and re-tapping the hole. We got lucky on this one. As we were running the tap it settled right into the factory threads and just cleaned the old bolt out:

After what seemed like an eternity we got it all covered and taped up. Among many of the big time sucks on this job is the amount of cleaning that needs to be done. It's clean, clean, and then clean some more.

Any scraps I had, I put in nooks and crannies.

This was such a big project that I am going leave you hanging for another day to see if it all turns out ok or if we slide further down that SLIPPERY SLOPE..

July 2016 F.S.O.T.M
post #11 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 08:09 AM
Fullsize Member

Garage
Before and After

Good Morning, I went looking for old pics and now that I think I have learned how to post pics (thanks BikerPepe, I owe you) so I figured I would show what our Bronco looked like when I got it and when we changed it around.
We took them both up into Cades Cove and while the trails were not bad at all(gravel roads really) we had a great time. The Blue 77 was also in the family for about 15 years. When I had my 73 (the burgundy one) my dad borrowed it during an ice storm and liked it so much he went and bought the only other one in the county, this 77. I put a rebuilt 5.0 roller cam motor, rebuilt C4 and Dana 20 down in it for him but then I started getting deployed and it sat in his barn for several years. After my last tour, when we went to visit, my daughter asked her papaw what he was gonna do with that old Bronco and he said why, do you want it? We hauled it home that night.

As you can see this wasn't a bad looking Bronco but my son said that everyone knew this was mine so he wanted to paint it, so we did. We removed everything we could and hauled it to my buddy's body shop and shot it. It didn't turn out great and as you can see the hood hinges are still the original color but he learned a lot about sanding

Since I wanted to "fix" it, I gave it to a pro and he cleaned it up. We had shot the top with a water based automotive paint. It what the automotive paint store gave us for low VOC's. I had never used it so I wasn't real surprised when three days after we shot the top, it rained and washed it ALL and I mean ALL off. We went back and got a better paint for free. I ended up putting Monstaliner on it a couple of years ago.

In a tribute to his sisters Bronco, we had these custom stipes made. They also include his initials at the back of the quarter panels. We really didn't change much except the steps were swapped out for the nerf bars and the Eddie Bauer emblems were removed.

The family took both of these to the Bronco celebration in Townsend this year as well and had a great time. We met Susie Duff and I told her that I was happy that they had moved within 5 miles of me by the time I started on the Blue one I still can't bring myself to try the SAS swap but maybe in time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7613.jpg (508.4 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7952.jpg (374.9 KB, 279 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-12-01 09.31.45.jpg (502.1 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg Cgosms_2012-10-1505-52-31.jpg (177.8 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7616.jpg (622.9 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg Bronco before.jpg (287.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20190101_082855.jpg (245.3 KB, 273 views)

Last edited by thequietman; 01-05-2019 at 08:11 AM. Reason: fonts
post #12 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 08:16 AM
Fullsize Member

Garage
The Stripes pic wouldn't fit on the earlier post so here it is. I just love technology
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190101_082830.jpg (187.8 KB, 6 views)
post #13 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 01:10 PM
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.

Garage
Slippery Slope Pt2

Good Morning FSB!! It is the weekend!! YAY, hope everyone is doing something fun! I am going to put up this post and then head out to put the finishing touches on a Bronco project I am working on.. stay tuned for that update.

We left off yesterday with a simple head unit & speaker upgrade turning into gutting the truck and installing sound deadening material. As I said yesterday the labor involved in the sound deadening project was HUGE, but it also made a HUGE difference. Even with all the interior stuff removed, you could tell it was doing its job. We could tell just sitting in the cab, that it was much quieter. The Bronco always seemed to have a bit of an echo, that was gone. All the surfaces are much softer. I have since taken it out and done some truck camping and it made a big difference having that extra padding.

It was then time to get back to the original goal. First, the new rear speakers were slightly bigger than the originals, so the factory brackets would not work "as is". I knew this from a previous conversation with FSB, no biggie we just had to do a little Dremel work:

The piece we cut out to get things to fit.

My son doing the cutting:

Better fit:

Then we set about taking the old head unit out. This was not the original one from Ford. At some point earlier on in the Broncos life I had it replaced. Might have been Car Toys or Best Buy, I honestly don't recall. Either way, I disappointed to find that instead of doing things the right way and buying a connecting harness, they had simply cut it out and boogered all the wires together. So many times I think "maybe I should have the professionals do this" then I see this and realize they don't always do things the right way and they certainly don't do them the way I would. Back to FSB to try and track down a wiring diagram so we have to figure all the crap out. Lesson learned, don't let anyone touch your vehicle.

One of many things I didn't take into account when we decided to install the sound deadening material is that a huge time suck is relocating cutting out all the factory holes for stuff. Everything from the typical seat bolts all the way to trim pieces and wiring harnesses all have holes that you need to find and mark prior to laying down the sound deadening.

The Craigslist deal I scored included all upgraded wiring used to install it in his truck. Just out of curiosity I priced all the "extras" we got. Holy expensive. between all the speaker wiring, amp wires, fuses etc we would have easily spent $200+ on it. SCORE! We pulled the factory wiring and ran all the new wiring for each of the 4 door and panel speakers. We did have to install new connectors are the ones we used:

The stereo learning curve was steep but also fun. I learned that the best practice was to keep the power wire and speaker wires separate from each other. We ran the amp power down the passenger side and all the speaker wire down the driver door.

I am super particular about organization, function, and overall look of the Bronco (aren't we all LOL) I mulled over all the different ways and places people installed their amps. I finally settled on mounting the 4x100 amp here on top of the transmission cover. At this point, I knew I had an expedition console that would fully cover the amp. It was sitting in the basement waiting its turn on the never-ending Bronco list:

Wiring mess. You can sorta see the speaker wires (blue) running along the factory wire path under rear passengers feet area. We took our time on this job and cut all the wiring to fit the exact lengths we needed, even if it meant redoing existing connectors. I hate piles of wire tucked all over.

Anyone one considering doing this will give you a heads up that running new wire to the driver door was a HUGE pain. The emergency brake is in the way. This big metal bracket limits how far you can get a hand\finger near where it needs to go. Then on top of it all, the wiring loom almost completely fills the rubber boot. We made dozens of attempts with a wire to find a way through the maze, eventually, we did get it fished through. Passenger side was a piece of cake compared to this:

We had already filled the firewall access hole that is located behind the brake booster with the wiring for all my lights. We found this access through the firewall on the passenger side. We ran the 4ga through it.

Shot of the wiring and where we put the 1100w amp for the subs. We ended up moving the wiring higher up on the wheel well so it was out of the way when we take the subs out to haul stuff.

The back is put back together, now to start on the front:

Front coming back together. Looks like we are right back where we started. That's one thing about wiring projects, you don't get any visual bang for your buck. If its done right, its all so well hidden, you don't even know it happened.

Random soldering

Head unit has Bluetooth with hands-free, here is the mic going in. No, was not screwed in yet.

Head unit.

Wiring mess:

It was getting late by now, front amp working and the wires all cleaned up:

It's Alive!!!
This thing has something like 12 different colors..lol we managed to find a shade of green that matches the rest of the interior lighting

The Bronco still needed to be a multi-purpose vehicle. One of my musts in getting subs (strictly for my son, yeah right.) was that they had to be pretty easy to remove whenever we needed.

But that "removable" requirement took us further down the SLIPPERY SLOPE.. stay tuned tomorrow to see what I mean by that!

July 2016 F.S.O.T.M
post #14 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 08:14 PM
Jan'19 F.O.T.M.

Garage
Time to get a bit more technical.

These were the specs on my 1978 Bronco Ranger XLT when I got it:

Everything looked pretty beat up with layers and layers of mud, crap and rust everywhere in the engine bay, the undercarriage... Luckily very little cancer, although I will tell you for sure when I remove the thick layer of Rhino coating that I feel might be hiding more than I fear.

But I guess all this is normal for a truck that old when someone does not really take good care of it.

The interior was very poorly taken care of, with rips and broken parts everywhere. My interior quarter panels have more holes than a Swiss cheese.

Also, originally the Bronco was light blue and the previous owner painted it white.

My next post will be all about making this truck legal in California and how I successfully passed the Smog on my first try. Stay tuned! Thank you for reading!

1978 Ford Bronco XLT

Jan'19 F.O.T.M.
post #15 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 12:12 PM
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.

Garage
Slippery Slope Pt3

Where did we leave off yesterday?

Oh, that right we were nearly done with the new sound system. "ALL" we had to do was get that sub box set up for easy removal. yeah right, famous last words..

A little more background on the sub box. You recall I got all the sound system stuff off craigs list. The box came out of an extended cab pickup. You might be able to see from the pictures but its sort of angled back and a triangle with the sides flattened shape. So even though the bottom side of the triangle is wider, the subs are high enough and heavy enough that it tends to want to fall over.

You can kind of get an idea of the shape of the box in these pics:

Part of getting the box out easily was dealing with the wires also. We found these quick disconnects for that:

Here are all the quick disconnects behind the sub box:

Getting the sub situated and the wiring figured out:

I had a couple of challenges with getting the box installed:

-I did not want to mount it to the bed of the truck.
-I wanted to be able to remove it easily.
-I did not want it bouncing around in the back of the truck off-roading.
-I wanted to deter thieves

I know I tend to over think and over engineer EVERYTHING but the solution we came up with were these two brackets. They attached to the rear seat and hold the box down firmly when bouncing around off-road, easy to remove with a star wrench, and most thieves will not be able to get it out.

Front of the sub box with the new brackets holding it in place.

The sub box is an odd shape so we installed these wedges to keep everything flush.

We secured the brackets to the box by bolting them all the way through the box, both front, and rear.

We also went ahead and bought some grill covers for both subs. We are constantly throwing gear in the back of the Bronco, I could just see us tossing some gear right into one of them.

I do recall thinking Wow these covers are expensive. But in reality, all the sound system stuff was. It seems we never learn that there is not a "cheap" upgrade. LOL

Here it was all installed. It met all our needs. It was solid as a rock. You can pull and yank on it all day long and it's not moving. A thief better come prepared with a set of star wrenches if he wants to get this setup out.

We fired it up and played some songs on it. I remember thinking Wow, what a difference. I think I have decent components, but to me, the real game changer was all the sound deadening work. The truck is just flat out quieter on the road- with or without music. The doors sound more solid when you close them, not so hollow. The road noise is "distant" now and not so in your face. When the music plays inside, even if you can hardly stand the volume, outside it's not obnoxious. Overall we were pretty happy with the results, except we were underwhelmed with the bass, not what we were hoping for.

SLIPPERY SLOPE time..

Those with keen eyes or are audio experts may have already spotted this flaw in the sub box.

We took the truck down to the audio shop to have it tuned, well they poo poo'd the box, saying it was no good and having the backs being open like this would quickly lead to blowing them out. They, of course, wanted to sell me a generic square box for $200.

Back here to FSB to confirm the audio shop was correct about the open backs. UGH. At the time our mindset was "What can we do to fix the existing box." We realized that it was not ideal, but its what we had. Maybe we could just build 2 boxes\caps to enclose the back if that would be sufficient?

This headed me down the path of researching sub boxes. It quickly became apparent that the box we had was all wrong for the subs and it would be best to just redo the box. Should we go buy the $200 generic square box from the audio store? Or should we go all in and build a custom one?

Stay tuned tomorrow to see..

July 2016 F.S.O.T.M
post #16 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 11:34 PM

Bronco Info: Desperately seeking Susan
Nice rigs!
post #17 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 09:43 AM
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.

Garage
Slippery Slope: The final Chapter

I hope everyone enjoyed the weekend. I finished my other Bronco project so that was nice! I will give you a hint. Its part of my prep for Colorado4x4Rescue.

But back to the sub box dilemma, we left off on yesterday. Should we fix the one we had, buy a new one or build our own?

A couple of factors played into our decision. First: (Yet again) with immense help from you all here at FSB, I calculated the volume that our subs needed.

Here is what we ended up with:

The long and short of it was that the box we had, even if we added caps on the back to enclose it, was just too small. The prefabbed box from the audio store would have worked, but I needed two of them (read $400, ouch) and they were bulky and didn't maximize the space we had.

Can't go too much further down that slippery audio slope

Custom Build here we come!

Giant heavy sheet of MDF from Home Depot. $36 bucks. We will see if we can keep it under $400

Our workshop for the afternoon:

Calculating the angles on the side pieces:

All cut:

Holes for making use of the bracket. To be sealed off later.

Mockup in the back. One advantage of custom is that we were able to match the angle of the seat, happy with how that turned out:

More mock up:

Brought it into the basement to start gluing and nailing:

From back:

My overengineering coming out. We build in these inset on the sides to help when moving it around:

Partly done.

You may wonder about the interior channels around the front mounting point of the bracket. We still wanted to make use of the brackets that were for the old sub box so we incorporated it into the build.
They are not meant to be structural, but being glued and nailed in, they are still pretty stout.

At this point in the build, we were on the fence on making it a ported box or sealed. Ha Ha- a few weeks earlier "sealed" and "ported" were not even in my vocabulary. Eventually, we decided to go ported.

We sealed up all the joints ($8):

Used this awesome Jig ($40) from Jasper to make my sub holes:

So much cleaner than we could have done with a jigsaw:

Test fit:

Perfect:

Both cut out:

Mock up:

I remember it being rough for my son at this point to have put in weeks and weeks of work into sound deadening, and the rest of the audio install, just to wait 3 more weeks to really get to use it. It was a good lesson (I hope) for him, "Do it once, and do it right".

Once the aero ports arrived ($26), we cut out the holes for them and glued the front on.

One port is done, Did I mention how cool the Jasper jig is.

Test fitting. Even though it's only a 3" port, it takes a 5 1/4" hole.

Back into the basement to get the front glued on.

Mockup of the ports and speakers.

All lined up and ready to glue on:

Here we are test fitting the length of the carpet ($20).

My son spraying on the glue ($5):

Box has been glued on several sides now, making progress:

Next up, the side pockets:

Side pockets we had to cover. These added some complexity to the box but are SUPER handy. The overall setup is heavy and maneuvering it around was so much easier with these:

This stuff was surprisingly mold-able. We were able to get a square shape out of it, no wrinkles and with no cutting.

Getting the brackets secured inside the box:

Brackets attached:

holes cut out:

We didn't end up reusing the "connectors" from the original box (no idea what they are really called) we figured that wiring them straight to the subs was, two fewer holes to cut in the box, one less connection, and one less place to add resistance. So we drilled a small hole and sealed it.

Amp ended up on the back again. This thing is big so we were trying to save cargo space and keep the box in spec for volume. The top ended up not being wide enough to hold the amp flat.

Subs going back in:

I had to cut a couple holes in my cargo mat to gain access to the seat bolts.

Here it is all installed and ready to go

When we first put in the other box and I heard them play I was sort of like "well, ok". To be honest, I was a bit disappointed but figured it is what it is. With this new box, we got way more system than we intended to buy.

The finished product sounds amazing. I am not a youngester any more. The bass will drive me right out of the cab with the bass knob only 1/4 of the way up. Like all of you here told me, the subs really needed that enclosure to function properly.

It was hilarious to watch my son's phone bouncing around on the center console. I think I have a video of this somewhere, I will try and dig it up. Its crazy how much air gets pushed out of the ports. They are like a fan when they really get thumping. The sound deadening works great. You can have it crazy loud inside and not be able to really hear it outside.

We finally reached the bottom of that slippery slope (Ok I am done using this, you can breathe a sigh of relief). If my math is correct we spent $115 on this box vs the $2/400 for the premade ones.

Seeing the smile on my son's face was worth the weeks and weeks of effort to get it done!

I hope you all are staying entertained. I am enjoying sharing our Bronco adventure with everyone!

Stay tuned while I try and dig up the video.

July 2016 F.S.O.T.M
post #18 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 11:25 AM
Jan'19 F.O.T.M.

Garage
Smog Me! Part 01

I needed to register Bruce in order to drive it. But because of my ignorance at the time, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. California is the most strict state when it comes to Smog and all vehicles after 1975 need to have the exact same parts as when they came from the factory.

Oblivious, I went to a Smog Station close by and the guy told me that he had no idea where to begin and that it might be better just to sell it. But how was I going to sell it if I could not register it first? Nobody would take it!

He finally gave me a sad little piece of paper with a list of components that I needed and at the time it didn't seem too much to me. Again my ignorance. And I said to myself, I am going to do this and I will make Bruce legal in California! Because I am very stubborn.

Everything in the photo above, I needed, except for the Catalytic Converter and the Evaporative Canister. Thanks to the help in this forum I realized my Bronco was a Federal truck meaning it had fewer restrictions and soon enough I would find out it would not need a Smog pump, Catalytic Converter or Evaporative Canisters. Yay!

Unfortunately, 1978 was a weird year for Ford. They were trying to update all their vehicles to comply with new Smog regulations and it was a mess. So many configurations very little documentation. Absolutely nothing on the Service Manual, nor the Haynes or Chilton Manuals.

Between this forum which was an amazing source of help!, getting a hold of a couple of MOTOR and MITCHELL Emissions Manuals,

and the help of a Federal 1978 F150 400 V8 that I found through another forum

I managed to compile all the info and made this diagram and a list of the parts I needed.

I also found a picture of an original Decal from a 1978 400 V8 which I used to create a reproduction.

Hunting down all the parts was an adventure and it took a while. There are some that you can easily find on RockAuto or some other online stores:

A California approved Intake manifold, an Edelbrock Performer 400 EGR version:

A generic Motorcraft 2150 2bbl carburetor:

An EGR valve:

A PCV valve:

A vacuum amplifier:

A correct thermostat housing, which I was in the process of painting in this picture

Stock exhaust manifolds, which I coated with heat resistant paint:

Other parts were really hard to find. Like the air cleaner or the heat choke. I was extremely lucky that some guys here on the forum are so amazingly nice and sent me a few things I needed, I got a bunch of smog equipment from Schwim and a lot of hard to find parts from Ziggy. Thank you Jason and Ziggy! You guys are amazing!

Hunting these little guys (random emission valves) was fun too, some on eBay some... I can't even remember:

This is how my vacuum canister looked like and luckily I was able to find a new one online:

I got an air cleaner and a bunch of emission components from schwim, but unfortunately, I ended up messing up the air cleaner and had to get another one. The restoration of the air cleaner was really fun!

It was looking pretty bad originally:

But I took it to sandblast and powder coating and took care myself of the restoration of the small parts:

I even made a 3D printed 4 way vacuum port that I could not find anywhere, although it would eventually break down the road... I need to find a heat and pressure resistant 3D printed material:

Ok, so then I had a pile of parts that were taking up so much space at my house and I needed to figure out how to put them in my Bronco before my wife killed me!

But that is going to be my next story, not the killing part... although that got really close

Thank you so much for reading! Have a great day!

1978 Ford Bronco XLT

Jan'19 F.O.T.M.
post #19 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 01:17 PM
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.

Garage
Bass Video

July 2016 F.S.O.T.M
post #20 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 08:40 PM
Fullsize Member

Garage
Now for the engine

220,000 miles and no real issues so what do I do??? I decide I am going to pull the engine and put in a stroker. I finally settled on just buying a long block and finishing it myself. I have built 289's and 302's when I was building old mustangs and I still have a 70 model 351C 4bbl but nothing to put it in. I just hate to sell that old motor. I carb'd the 5.0 roller in the blue 77 you have seen on this thread but for my 95, I wanted EFI. I also wanted torque and figured that this engine would not see more than 4500rpm even on a bad day so I went looking for a combo that would be a good driver but would have a punch when I stood on it.

For me its always time vs money and like most of us I never have an abundance of either so I figured my best bet was a long block and I would do the rest. When I removed the upper in order to do the overlay harness for the MAF Conversion last year,I found a rats nest under the upper intake on the passengers side. Like I have said this thing sat while I was deployed a few times so this wasn't a big surprise.

This is when I was about to remove the original engine

I also replaced the entire cooling system and I have a champion aluminum radiator and it works great at keeping this thing cool. I tried to just keep it simple and on a budget.

I had to enlist a buddy of mine with a front end loader on his tractor to get the old one out and sit the new one in. We didn't quite get in 100% in before this lovely July day in south GA won. It was 96 and humid as a sauna so we used the tractor to push it into my shop and I finished up with my engine hoist. ( a few days later after I re-hydrated) This is what the long block looked like when it arrived

I was told I wasn't going to be able to use these valve covers but no issues, no rubbing and they work fine.

I had to slide the transmission back and then use my floor jack to re-align the transmission during install. That was a chore but at least it was cool and dry in my shop. Best money I ever spent since I was not laying in sand, fighting the ants while sweat poured into my …..everything. I finally got the motor mount nuts on and the transmission bolted up and just kept triple checking everything since I was a little concerned ...no, paranoid about how this not so cheap engine was gonna turn out.

Since I had done the fiveology MAF conversion over a year ago and it ran well, I wasn't too worried about that but I should have been. I had re-pinned the computer and did the overlay harness and got supported by Fiveology real well for the original install. However, when I sized my injectors for this 427W and came up with 36# injectors, I ordered a set from them and the calibrated tube for my MAF. During initial start up I had at least one injector stuck open, almost ruined the engine. They took them back.

Here is where the learning curve got STEEP. Like I said a SBF with a carb that needs re-jetting or points that need adjusting I am ok. This computer tuning stuff...…. I was over my head. I talked to a few and found like any where else, there are smart people who are and some really nice folks who want to help. I was steered to a set of 30# FRPP and told to set my fuel pressure to 50psi. I have a 220lph fuel pump, high flow fuel filter, aeromotive adjustable FPR so this little bump in pressure was not a problem. Pops racing is tremendous in their support and knowledge. Adam is a walking tuning encyclopedia. I have a Moates quarterhorse and I use Binary Editor. I had made some MAF changes and injector changes based on known data but Adam had me do pulls, datalog and then adjust accordingly. I am currently swapping in 60# siemens because over 4500rpm the fuel can't keep up.

On the monitoring side, I have an AFR gauge, a mechanical oil pressure gauge and a fuel pressure gauge all mounted in the console since I prefer that to an A pillar mount. I made a "T" connection but my oil pressure gauge on my OEM instrument cluster doesn't read.

Here is how the engine ended up;
351W block bored and stroked to 427w
zero balance forged crank
forged pistons
TFS Stage one cam with 1.6 roller rockers on GT-40 heads. The heads have been cleaned up but I didn't know I would be doing this FOTM so I don't have a ton of pics or video's.
Edelbrock intake with BBK TB with K&N CAI (dry) I relocated my IAT to the snorkel instead of the intake
I have replaced the MSD distributor with an OEM one (we found a spark oscillation at 3000rpm on the MSD)
JBA shorty headers that will not seal up on #5 exhaust port so I have a set of remflex on order. I used deadsoft aluminum then copper and now I am going to try the remflex.
True Dual exhaust thru Magnaflows and it does sound like its in charge when I roll up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180908_085826.jpg (460.4 KB, 255 views)
File Type: png IMG_20170512_163644758_edited.png (594.8 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg 20180720_151927.jpg (296.9 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg 20180722_153640.jpg (301.5 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg 20180921_094758.jpg (283.9 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg 20180909_150751.jpg (273.6 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg 20180714_180419.jpg (248.7 KB, 246 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Ford Bronco Forum > Welcome > F.O.T.M Voting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode