March Full Size of the Month 2019 Vote Here!!! - Page 3 - Ford Bronco Forum
View Poll Results: March 2019 F.O.T.M., VOTE HERE!!!
Raleigh 9 16.67%
NickOille 15 27.78%
maddDogg33 7 12.96%
79broncoowner 3 5.56%
antonio 20 37.04%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

748Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 02:20 AM

Bronco Info: 1984 Bronco, 351w, C6, custom np208 based doubler, np208, TTB D44, 9", 5.13's
So those old 37’s I had (they had a date code from year 2000) were getting pretty dry and crispy. At Niagara Rim I left rubber shreds and tread blocks everywhere I spun a tire, and managed to put about a 4” gash in one of the sidewalls.

Sending off the old SSR’s

So after some searching on eBay, I came up with a set of used military BFG Baja T/A’s, 37x12.50x16.5
With some H1 wheels I had been squirreling away for a rainy day, along with new centers and rock rings, I had new(well, old used, but newer) tires and beadlocks

Did some grooving the the BFG’s

Total cost so far- $2791.24
Somewhere around this time is where my mindset on the build of this rig changed slightly. Originally I set out to spend X amount of money then wheel it where ever I could. Then I started to build it so I could be capable to wheel it where ever I wanted, but still as cheaply as possible. So I eventually quit keeping a tally of my build cost since it went from being “built within a budget” to just being “built on a budget,” if that makes any sense
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 09:41 AM
--------------

Bronco Info: '96 XL
Oh how WE can relate to the Budget Analogy,

Save, Save, Save.

Ready to go buy Parts

The Purchase

Meeting up with the "Buds" at Burger King on the way Home

Last edited by White Dragon; 03-10-2019 at 09:43 PM.
post #43 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 08:58 PM

Bronco Info: ford Bronco xlt 1979 full time
Boys thank you all for the likes, what beautiful photos of your projects.
Here I upload some photos of more parts that came for my bronco, and my first trips to the mountains with the Deutz engine.
Parts NP203.
Parts C6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 09:06 PM

Always taking care of my truck without breaking it when I go to the mountain, I want to keep as much as I can, because here are very few that are original like mine.
I go to the mountain with caution.
FORGIVENESS FOR MY LANGUAGE.
post #45 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 09:16 PM

Now cosmetic parts in disrepair.
A before and after.
post #46 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 09:29 PM

A small exit with my 2 AMERICAN trucks.
In my city, the mountain is near and some dams of water that produce electrical energy, we also have solar fields.,
post #47 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 09:47 PM

More Cosmetics.
post #48 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 09:52 PM

Soon more exclusive photos, do not miss them, at FSB.
This just begin
post #49 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 03:39 AM

Bronco Info: 1984 Bronco, 351w, C6, custom np208 based doubler, np208, TTB D44, 9", 5.13's
Bronco Safari 2016!!!!!
Now this is where I start getting into the carnage that I’m “famous” for
This year we had my fullsize, Tyler’s fullsize, and my buddy Dylan, who borrowed my Bronco last year, had put together his own fullsize.
Our first day we tried to make it to Top of the World. As I was turning off the pavement by Dewy Bridge, there was a loud pop and I noticed my rear tires would spin independently now, but I figured I had just lost my welds on my spider gears, and could probably still make it through the trail. But at the first obstacle, once I put a load on the axle, it started jumping teeth and losing drive to the rear axle

So the rear driveline was pulled and we headed back to camp in front wheel drive. Here is what we found when we got the rear axle apart

Not only had the welds on the spider gears failed, but one of the carrier bearing caps had broken in half, allowing the carrier and ring gear to deflect away from the pinion. This is where I learned, if you have spare parts, BRING THEM. I had an entire spare 9” third member at home, in Nevada. But it was big and heavy and I didn’t think I would need it.
So I had my dad run to my house to pull bearing caps to overnight to me, and we went around town looking for someone who might have parts to get back up and running today. After talking to enough people we wound up getting an address for a guy by the name of Tucker who lived out in the back of town and had a personal junkyard of old beat Fords. After some digging around the back 40 we found a half blown up 3rd member that had enough good parts to get us up and running again, so I gave him $100 and we got back to camp to throw it together.
The next day we went out to try Rusty Nail again

It went pretty smooth up until where Rusty Nail dumps back into Gold Bar Rim. There is a very deceiving ledge to climb right there. I spun tires trying to walk up it, so I gave it a little bump to try and get the rear tire up, and as soon as the rear tires hit, SNAP. Lost drive to the rear driver side tire, so I backed down to a level spot the change the shaft, of which I had a spare of with me. As soon as I got the shaft out I looked down the tube and could see the splines of the shaft twisted off in the carrier, as well as another blown up carrier bearing cap, of which I didn't have another spare. So for the second day in a row the rear driveshaft came off and we had to try to limp back to camp in front wheel drive.

I had to be pulled on a strap for a few obstacles, which went alright until we got to the waterfall on Gold Bar. There wasn't a good angle to winch me up easily, so I got a bit violent and tried to bounce up and promptly broke a front u-joint and took the inner and outer shafts with it
With some fancy winching, we were able to winch my Bronco up the hill so I could change the front shaft, which I had a spare of, and get back to camp in front wheel drive
post #50 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 09:37 PM

Bronco Info: 1979 bronco 390 4 speed
Garage
Ok started pulling the 390 out of my 79 Should get the rebuilt one this weekIMG_1571 by Daniel Crymes, on Flickr[img]IMG_1573 by Daniel Crymes, on Flickr://farm8.staticflickr.com/7878/32401775117_a861c978f1.jpg[/img]IMG_1572 by Daniel Crymes, on FlickrIMG_1574 by Daniel Crymes, on Flickr
post #51 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 09:38 PM

Bronco Info: 1979 bronco 390 4 speed
Garage
I will continue to post the process of the install
White Dragon likes this.
post #52 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 12:18 AM

Wednesday was the first official day of Bronco Safari 2016, but we were too busy being broken to join in the fun. We used the extra 3rd member we bought earlier in the week, and we also had to use half of the carrier out of that 3rd to replace the ruined half of mine, and when we popped it open we found a Lock-Right in it. Score, moving up to real lockers. Also, by this time my new ring and pinion were here, as well as the spare parts my dad sent. So we decided not to re-use the old carrier and pinion bearings that had eaten lots of metal throughout the week, and piled in Tyler's Bronco to run to O'Reilly's where they had a gear install kit on the shelf with all the bearing, seals, shims and sleeves to do it right. As we were leaving O'Reilly, we goosed it a little to get through a gap in traffic, and SNAP. Rear driveline was spinning, but the truck wouldn't move. So we lock the hubs in and get back to camp in front wheel drive with another 9" to rebuild now. As I got my 3rd member together, Tyler got his apart to find that the ring gear bolts had come loose, and from the shock and vibration of that, it had caused the flange the ring gear bolts to to completely crack off of the carrier. So with that other half of the carrier we bought earlier in the week, and ring gear bolts from the gear install kit, we had that back together too.
On the schedule for Thursday was Behind the Rocks with a group of other people from Bronco Safari.

Friday was Area BFE, specifically the Green Day trail

Hey, who is that guy??

Saturday was the last day for Bronco Safari. Originally the plan was to run Prichett on the last day and see how much we could break, but we ended up just running Metal Masher with a big group of other guys

Carnage pile for the week. Now that looks like a good time if I’ve ever seen one
post #53 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 09:58 AM
--------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickOille View Post
Hey, who is that guy??

1st time I recall ever seeing 2 FOTM Competitors "On Trail" at the same time..

Very Cool.
Dragon
post #54 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 06:28 PM
OMF

Bronco Info: 1979/1972 "Hybrid Hilda"
Garage
I think I'll spice it up today, how about some content from a recent wheeling trip to Sand Hollow Utah
This trail is Chain Reaction, it is a hard 9 and it's a blast!

Her are a couple of videos from the trail

Dave
Vote for me FOTM!

1979/1972 "Hybrid Hilda"
Built 400, NP435/Strongbox Doubler/NP205
2007 Superduty Axles, Chomo'd, Superjoints, and Locked
110" WB, Body narrowed 6" and armored up!

Last edited by raleigh; 03-11-2019 at 06:34 PM.
post #55 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 06:52 PM

Bronco Info: 1996 Eddie Bauer Bronco 351w Ku$tom PA!NT
Garage
The last pictures of my bronco maroon and tan Eddie bauer. After I graduated I wanted to get the rust fixed. I went to my town's local body shop and he said that he only does newer insurance work now because he cant make money on rust repair, but he had a friend that does it in his shop at his house for pretty cheap and great work.

I went to meet the guy named Carl Smith and it turns out he owned a big body shop here in Tennessee for years before he retired. Before that, he was the head paint and body guy at the GM plant that built the Camaros. I cant remember the name of the plant. He said he started working there when he was 16 and worked his way up. Said he got to out the first stripes on the very first trans am. He said the first trans ams had stripes not the bird.

Anyways he seemed pretty trustworthy and I got to see some of his work at his shop and it was really really good. He priced for me a brand new tailgate, new pass quarter panel, new inner rear fenders, patch panel on driver side, and painting back maroon. He priced it at a really good deal so I dropped it off. Eventually I called and asked for the price difference on a color change to 2017 Ford blue Jean metallic and 2017 Ford magnetic metallic for the two tone. Wasnt too much more so I told him to go with it.

List of what he did. All in all costed me $6500 and it is an absolutely beautiful paint job.
Brand new tailgate
Window motor
All new weather stripping
New windshield
New pass quarter panel
Inner rear fenders
Rust proofing on all metal replacement
Doors removed and jambs painted two tone
Topper painted
Firewall painted flat black (did a really good job on this I was surprised)
Welded up badge holes
Probably more I'm forgetting

1996 Bronco Eddie Bauer
351w Maroon
6" superlift 16" M/T Classic IIIs
315/75/16 Fierce Attitude MT's
Build Thread: http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...26#post5008626
post #56 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 02:20 AM

Next trail was Rubicon. Our group consisted of a couple FSBs, a couple Toyotas, a Jeep ZJ, and a Discovery.

The Fullsizes did awesome on the Con, I broke a hub and swapped a U-joint that was starting to come apart, no major carnage though. The WJ broke a radiator as well as an axle shaft, and put a hole in the trans pan. One of the 4runners broke the rear output off the t-case, while the other didn’t want to run right the whole weekend. Then the Discovery broke 5 (yes five) axle shafts plus destroyed the internals of a tru-trac, and had to be left at the bottom of Cadillac for a rescue mission the next weekend with even more spare parts
post #57 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 03:23 PM

Bronco Info: 1996 Eddie Bauer Bronco 351w Ku$tom PA!NT
Garage
Here is a video of a little drift action

1996 Bronco Eddie Bauer
351w Maroon
6" superlift 16" M/T Classic IIIs
315/75/16 Fierce Attitude MT's
Build Thread: http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...26#post5008626
post #58 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 10:28 PM
--------------

WoW, What an Exciting Month.

International Field of Competitors.
Rebuilds, Field Finds, Frame Offs.
Engine Transplants, Trail Carnage & Repairs, Paint Jobs.
Proms, Girl Friends, Wives, Kids, Dogs.
Big Rocks, Trees, Lakes, Snow, Camping.
Learning Curves, Modifications, Drivers Licenses.
Swiping Dads Rims & Tires. ( )
Moab, Rubicon, Sierra Nevadas, Sand Hollow...
Burn Outs, Doughnuts, Near Vertical Climbs....

What could possibly be Next???

BigBlue 94 and itwasFREE!!!! like this.

Last edited by itwasFREE!!!!; 03-13-2019 at 01:56 PM.
post #59 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 01:44 AM

On the Disco rescue mission I broke the lock-rite in the 9”, and between that and the issues with breaking bearing caps at Moab, I figured it was due for an upgrade. So I picked up a Summit Racing brand aftermarket 3rd member with 3.25” carrier bearings, so that I could run a cheap NASCAR G-Force locker (basically a Detroit) that I picked up on ebay for a little over $100

Those radius arms that I had extended for free were also getting pretty scabby and due for an upgrade. I also noticed I would always slide nicely down the radius arm, but then dig in and get stuck on the radius arm bracket. So after talking with my buddy Silas, we came up with a new design. We went with a twin tube design with a sweep in the end that should hopefully let it slide smoothly off the end of the arm and not hang up on anything. Sucks that I had to give up about 3" of clearance vs the old arms, but our theory is that I was always gonna find the rocks with the radius arms no matter what, so as long as they slide good I shouldn't get hung up

While doing the radius arms I noticed my frame was cracked by the steering box, so I picked up a cheap little 1” ram and added ram assist. It’s a lot smaller than everyone else seems to go, but it still gave me enough power to do what I do with it, and I didn’t want to worry about being able to break stock tie rods or overwhelming my stock pump with too big of a ram.
post #60 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 11:17 AM

Bronco Safari 2017!!!!
Another year of fun, and carnage
First trail of the week was Rusty Nail, then took Golden Spike/Poison Spider out

This year my wife stayed at home with our newborn, so I was left to my own means to prepare lunch…

The fullsizes had no issues, but the Toyota busted a tie rod end. We have a ready welder, but left it at camp. Luckily we came across a guy with a premier power welder on his jeep and were able to weld it back together

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Ford Bronco Forum > Welcome > F.O.T.M Voting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode