Now that the engine and transmission were in, I needed to get my Sniper EFI installed and set up.
I had an easier job than most since the '85 302 was fuel injected, so I had a high pressure fuel system already in place with the needed 60psi fuel pressure, and a return line. All I needed to do was tie into it.
I decided to go with the 2300 two barrel style for my engine. It felt weird going from a 4bbl carburetor to a 2bbl style fuel injection system, but ultimately it made sense. It was either two 100 lb injectors or four 100 lb injectors. If they had made a 4bbl Sniper with smaller injectors, I would have gone with that. But the 4bbl styles were just too big for my engine. The 2bbl setup was rated to 350hp as it was, and flowed 580cfm, so it really was plenty (and honestly would be plenty for the 302 or 351).
Plus, the going with a smaller setup allowed for finer fuel control and precision. Win/win.
First thing I needed to do was fit the 2bbl style throttle body to the 4bbl intake. Mr. Gasket made a nice adapter, so I bought one and painted it up.
A little test fitting with my newly painted intake.
All bolted up to the engine.
The system needs a coolant temperature sensor mounted. Fortunately, I had a spare port for the heater core return line that had a threaded hole for a vacuum switch. It had the same thread pattern as the sensor, so I was able to put it there. I also found that this s where Ford mounted the EFI era coolant temp sensor in the '87+ trucks, so it worked great.
The upper port (the one with the large hex set screw in it) can't be used since it's temperature fluctuates with the thermostat, and is not the engine's operating temperature.
Next was figuring out the throttle cable. I wanted to use the original sheath, since I'd had terrible luck using aftermarket throttle cables before. The throttle cable exits the cab at about a 30° angle from the gas pedal, which is a nightmare for smooth operation, and keeping the cable from dragging. The stock cable was curved to accommodate this.
The Sniper system utilizes AN-6 fittings, so unless I wanted to run new fuel line all the way to the tank, I needed to figure out how to tie in with the original fuel lines. I ended up using a series of adapters that, while they look clunky, worked really well (and have been leak free for thousands of miles now).
I wanted to keep with the motif, so I went with black fuel lines.
Ran a 12v hot to the fuel pump to pressurize the system and check all the fittings. All good!
Next came the fun of all the wiring. In the end, fortunately, it was quite simple. Many of the wires weren't needed and were either for different ignition setups, or for auxiliary fans, etc.
Power! On to the initial setup.
Everything's hooked up and working. Now for some cleanup. I bundled all the wires together and then sleeved them in looms.
Last on the list, I wanted a mount for the digital display inside the cab, so I fabricated a bracket. I wanted it hook around the dash, and be tucked up and out of the way.
Bent up a piece of steel in the vice.
First turn of the key and it fired to life! I couldn't have been more happy.
At this point, it had been 37 days
of non-stop work. Every day after work until bed time, and full weekends. I was exhausted.
But, I finished it 3 days before we had to turn in our leased car, so I made it!
The Bronco finally buttoned back up. Engine swapped, converted to a manual ZF5, converted to fuel injection, exhaust installed, hoses install, wiring installed, hood back on, and running.
It was time for my first test drive. My wife and I hopped in and I put it into granny low and pulled out of the garage. I wasn't used to the tension on the gas pedal spring, so it spun the tires on the garage floor, and launched out of the garage. (I was proud).
For a first test drive, it couldn't have driven better. SO much work, and suddenly all worth it.
My '85 Bronco was now how I wanted it.
Out of the garage and back in the driveway!