May Full Size of the Month 2019 Vote Here!!! - Ford Bronco Forum
View Poll Results: Vote for your May 2019 Full Size of the Month !!!!!!!
allcruisen 6 12.50%
ANGELO 11 22.92%
CrazyBRONCOguy 3 6.25%
AbandonedBronco 26 54.17%
nedceifus 2 4.17%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

933Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
F.O.T.Y. 2017

Bronco Info: 78 W/400
Garage
May Full Size of the Month 2019 Vote Here!!!

Here are your CONTESTANTS for May 2019 FULLSIZE OF THE MONTH !!!

1- @allcruisen

2: @ANGELO

3: @CrazyBRONCOguy

4: @AbandonedBronco

5: @nedceifus

Want to chat with one of the CONTESTANTS on an upgrade or anything else ?

Post up here: Chat with the CONTESTANTS

This is going to be a GOOD ONE !!!

Let the games begin!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 11:27 AM
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter

Bronco Info: '95 302 XLT
OK, I'll get this party started. We bought the Bronco from the Original owner back in '99. The previous owner had all the documents with the Bronco.

This when I first bought her Home:

Allcruisen

VOTE For FOTM !!!

"DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR"
post #3 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 11:51 AM
September 15 FOTM

Bronco Info: 1978 bronco 351 c6
Garage
first off, thankyou for the nomination. i havnt had this truck for all that long, but I think i should be able to keep up with the pictures. I was going to build half door this month but im not going to have time for that between my full time job as a shop foreman/mechanic and starting a business. but i have a idea on building a waterproof center console that i should be able to finish before the months over.

in highschool i had a 95 bronco. really enjoyed it, and it definitely taught alot about fixing stuff but the constant problems made me hate it, ended up selling it couple months after graduating in 2016
IMG_20160320_185624 by Angelo Mehtala, on Flickr

bought a 92 f250 with the na idi diesel and a zf5 to replace it. i wanted nothing to do with a e40d. if i just manual swapped the last truck like i was considering instead of rebuilding might not have sold it. now the 250 is a 4x4 but with its wheel base and weight not really the best for trails plus i didnt want to beat my daily and work truck off road. but would have to do for now untill i could afford a 2nd truck.
I was going to a technical college at the time to finish a marine mechanic class that i started in highschool. then was working part time at a dock and seawall company in the afternoon as their mechanic. so i wasnt making much money and didnt have much time. I finished that class around November and starting working full time with them, and still do. once i got some money saved up I started to watch Craigslist for a cheap 78-79 to use as a backup truck and a trail truck. since i want it for trails i wasnt to concerned about rust i just wanted the rest of the truck to be fairly solid and the floors solid enough to be fixable so i dont get water coming in. around may 2017 i saw a really rusty beat 78 for sale on facebook i really liked the patina and the name on the door so i figured if its cheap enough it would be worth looking at. when i messaged him he said he had a drive-able 78 also and he would sell both for 3,000. a week later when i got back to florida i rented a u haul and drove to the other coast to look at them. i was going to drive the blue one back and trailer the parts truck, but the blue one wasnt ready for a 3 hour drive with like 50 miles between gas station and like 100 between parts stores. so i had to make 2 trips that day about 600 miles total.
I found out about the 50 mile gap between gas stations the first trip back... I had about a quarter tank and i passed the last station thinking i would stop at the next station. well, that station never came and that needle just kept dropping. The lower the needle got the slower i started to drive. I eventually started to feel it loose power but luckly i was a couple miles from the station. when i ran out i was almost able to coast to the station, but the light changed to red. I brought a gas can so we just walked over to get enough to drive there.

its been named grits because of the front license plate

and then the parts truck "old number 7"

so the blue truck hasnt been registered since 2006. the last owner to register it was a old lady who probably never used it. the guy i bought it from has multiple 79-79 broncos and just used it around the yard and occasional mud run. His wife told him he had to sell some of the broncos. so he picked these two over the built mega mud trucks. the only leaks are the rear axle and rear break lines. the motor has 0 leaks and looks like it was rebuilt at somepoint since it has fresh paint. when i bought it, it was running on a boat tank in the cab because the fuel lines for the original are rusted, thats how the po has ran it since he bought it. when i dropped the tank it had about 5 gallons of atleast 10 year gas and mud. wasnt worth cleaning so decided to run the boat tank till i got some more money for the tank.
i quickly figured out the running issues. each plug wire was one off on the distributer. ran perfect after that.

first thing i did to it was put the hood badges back on

only rust on the entire floor

and some of old number 7. Thats the one i saw for sale

there is signatures all over the dash and headliner

20181117_125827 by Angelo Mehtala, on Flickr
that should be enough for today.

1992 f250 turbo intercooled idi ~ D.D./work truck
1978 bronco "grits"~ trail truck
1984 f350 with sleeper "The Rig"
1995 red xlt sport! with 351 ~ Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 01:07 PM

Bronco Info: 1978 Round headlight, havenít decided T19 9" R, 44F/1991, 445 FE, t19, 205, Dana 60/70, MAF, Moet's
Garage
Man many of my favs in this one, gonna be a tough decision. Let the games begin.
post #5 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 01:18 PM
Big Six

Bronco Info: 1985 300ci 6cyl. ZF 5 speed manual. 32" tires. DUI ignition. Holley Sniper EFI.
Hi all! Thanks for the nomination.

My story starts out with my '81 Bronco, which I got in 2003. It was an old Bronco that was dumped at my father-in-laws ranch, and was left to rot (hence the name AbandonedBronco). We were in a car accident, and left vehicleless, and had to make a 700 mile trip home. He said I could have it if I got it running.

I pretty much knew nothing about auto mechanics at the time, except for a couple small projects I had worked on with my Dad. But, I quickly fell in love with it, and, over the years, I repaired it, built it up, and transformed it into the vehicle I wanted it to be. Lots and lots of fun memories!

However, in September of 2017, some knucklehead was texting, and rear ended it at full speed. To make things worse, he swerved at the last moment, so instead of a straight on collision (which would probably just have required prying his little car out of the trailer hitch), he went underneath the back driver's corner and folded the whole thing up.

It didn't look like much at first glance, but the whole corner was tucked in, and the tailgate, gas tank, bumper, fender, and inner floor were warped and crushed. Insurance claimed it as a total loss, and it was going to be way too expensive to repair. It hurt, but my wife and I decided it was best to just pull the plug.

So, the quest began for a new Bronco. I had looked throughout the whole west coast, and had even found one in Colorado I was interested in, but they were either too expensive, or needed too much work. Then, my wife and I had driven to Seattle to visit some friends, and on a whim I looked at Craigslist. A nice, '85 Eddie Bauer had been posted just an hour prior to us pulling into port. We still had a few hours to wait for our friends to get off work, so we drove off and looked at it! Long story short, it came home to live with us.

Just like my '81, my first drive with my Bronco was a 700 mile drive home. I must really have a trust for old trucks.
Had to stop about half way home and snap a few pics:

I enjoyed the fact that I still got to look out over a red hood.

However, my plans for this new Bronco had just begun. My '81 had a 300 I6 and a manual transmission, as well as a number of other goodies I had outfitted it with, and I wanted to keep them. The '85 had a 302 and an AOD automatic that I had no intentions of leaving in there.

It also had some rust that needed to be contended with.

If this was to take the place of my trusted '81, there was a lot of work ahead of me!

May 2019 FOTM
March 2016 FOTM

1985 Eddie Bauer Bronco. High Performance 9.1:1 compression 300 (305) I6. Roller Rockers, DUI ignition, Holley Sniper EFI. ZF5. 32" BFG A/T KO2s. 3.55 8.8" rear.
1981 Bronco Custom (R.I.P.)
Supermotors Pics

Last edited by AbandonedBronco; 05-25-2019 at 02:02 PM.
post #6 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 02:00 PM
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter

Cool

I need to thank my brother in crime, @BikerPepe` for the Nomination.

My Passion for the Bronco started in 1978 when my best friend bought a brand new '79 Black freewheeling Bronco. Unfortunately we were only able to enjoy that Bronco for a very short period. One night we went to the movies and low and behold when we got out the Bronco was gone never to be seen again.

After that, I had always been searching for a Bronco. My first Bronco was an '84 with a 6 Cyl.

Shortly after that we bought our youngest a '79 Bronco that he drove through out high school.

I then got my hands on a one owner '78 with a 4 speed and all the extras that can come with that Bronco.

At the same time I had bought Our '95

Yeah, at one time we had three FSB parked in front of our Home, That was a beautiful site.

Allcruisen

VOTE For FOTM !!!

"DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR"
post #7 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 02:12 PM
Big Six

Bronco Info: 1985 300ci 6cyl. ZF 5 speed manual. 32" tires. DUI ignition. Holley Sniper EFI.
My very first project was to fix the fuel sender, which didn't work.
If I filled it up full, it would point at the F, but about a gallon down, it'd just drop off and rest below the E. No good.

I ordered up a new fuel sender, as well as a new low pressure fuel pump.

I learned that the early EFI trucks had two fuel pumps. A low pressure in the tank and a high pressure up by the engine.
Since I had the tank off, I might as well replace it since I had no idea how old it was.

Got the new fuel pump installed on the sender, and was ready to put it in. All I had to do was drop the tank.

(Yes, supermotors no longer allows for rotated pictures... )

The next weekend was nice and sunny, so I dropped the fuel tank.

The skid plate was extremely rusted, which was my first bad clue. I was also torn from smacking a rock.

Once the tank was down, I slid it out from under the Bronco. It was so rusted out, that just dragging it on the driveway filled it with pinhole leaks that started weeping out the gas. (You can also see the tailgate rust in this picture).

There was no way the tank was going back in, so I ordered a new tank and skid plate from Broncograveyard. It showed up in a little less than a week. ie. Project for the next weekend, too!

Broncograveyard sells a new/improved skidplate that's thicker than stock, has better drainholes, AND costs less than a stock replacement. Win/win.

Got some rubber strips from Lowe's to put between the skid plate and the tank.

Then, for some odd reason, I didn't take a picture of it installed...

May 2019 FOTM
March 2016 FOTM

1985 Eddie Bauer Bronco. High Performance 9.1:1 compression 300 (305) I6. Roller Rockers, DUI ignition, Holley Sniper EFI. ZF5. 32" BFG A/T KO2s. 3.55 8.8" rear.
Supermotors Pics
post #8 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 02:13 PM
Big Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by allcruisen View Post

Yeah, at one time we had three FSB parked in front of our Home, That was a beautiful site.
There's nothing wrong with that.

May 2019 FOTM
March 2016 FOTM

Supermotors Pics
post #9 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 02:59 PM
September 15 FOTM

Garage
Screenshot_20190501-145431 by Angelo Mehtala, on Flickr

My coil pads didnt like this

post #10 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 04:28 PM
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco View Post
There's nothing wrong with that.
Yeah, That's exactly watt I kept telling the HOA .

Allcruisen

VOTE For FOTM !!!

"DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR"
post #11 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 06:42 PM
September 15 FOTM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by allcruisen View Post
Yeah, That's exactly watt I kept telling the HOA .

Allcruisen
2019-05-01_06-38-10 by Angelo Mehtala, on Flickr

No deed restrictions is where its at

post #12 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 12:56 AM

Bronco Info: 1989 EB Bronco, 5.0, AOD, 4" lift, 35" tires, 4.56s
Great start yall. Very much looking forward to this one.
White Dragon likes this.

IG @schaeferlight
post #13 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 03:16 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 4.9L EFI, ZF S5-42, BW 1345, 32in Falken AT3W
Garage
I just counted 11 Broncos between 3 competitors?! (assuming the 3rd dentside in ANGELO's backyard isn't a pickup)
A great start indeed!
White Dragon likes this.

Derek

From a 4x4 family: '78 Ranger XLT build thread... 4.9L EFI, ZF5
post #14 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 06:38 AM
September 15 FOTM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_rock View Post
I just counted 11 Broncos between 3 competitors?! (assuming the 3rd dentside in ANGELO's backyard isn't a pickup)
A great start indeed!
All 3 of them are broncos. But the black ones a friends. I do have a couple dentside pickups in my yard though. My roommates restoring one
White Dragon and d_rock like this.

post #15 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 10:23 AM
Ford Hoarder

Bronco Info: See Signature
Another multi-Bronco person for this month I also have 1/3 of a parts one left.

also 6 other Ford's at the house

Here is how my 78 sits today, right now.

Build Thread https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...8-project.html
Street Queen '92: 400hp/400ft-lb Roller 351W Built by Me, C6 Swap, 9" Swap, Corbeau Seats, Desert Bumpers, 4.10s, 33s
Sleeper Build '78: 2.5" Bypass Shocks, Deaver Springs, Full Roll Cage, Spool, 460, Hydro-Boost Brakes, Modded Duff Arms, Broader C6, Rust
post #16 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 11:00 AM
Big Six

Good morning!

The first issue I needed to take care of on the Bronco was the rust.

I had just received the settlement for my '81 being totaled. I had bought it back so I could strip it, but it was still drivable. So, I had a spare vehicle for a while. This gave me time to search out a local body shop who was willing to do the work.

Body shops who actually will work on a vehicle, repair rust, etc. are getting EXTREMELY hard to find! I think I spent about 2 weeks looking for one. 99% of them are simply "body panel replacement" shops, and want nothing to do with steel.

The shop I found specialized in old Mustangs and Broncos, so I knew I was off to a good start.

The body was solid, but had some rust in the usual places. The tailgate especially was rusted out.

All four wheel wells were rusted or had cancer in one way or another.

The rear passenger side was particularly bad.

I ordered up a new tailgate and found two nice, straight front fenders in the junk yard. I had actually found them about 10 years prior and planned to use them on my '81, but never had. They'd been sitting in my garage for a good long time.

The hardest part was a rear replacement panel for the rotted out wheel arch. For some odd reason, they sell them for 78/79 Broncos and 87 - 96 Broncos. But, the 80 - 86 panels had been discontinued! Why? Who knows.
However, I found a body shop (I don't even recall how) in New Jersey, the whole U.S. away, that had one sitting in a back room. They boxed it up and sent it to me.

Loaded everything up to bring to the shop.

The shop got to work right away on it, and said it'd be done in just a few weeks.

However, it was at this point that his main body work guy quit, and it was another THREE MONTHS before they got back to working on it. I was at the end of my patience. However, finally, work continued.

I had missed the fact that this fender had trim holes in it, so they had to be filled and smoothed.

Started applying the 2 tone:

I was not happy with the first pictures of the paint. It looked very purple/maroon to me. Fortunately, it turned out that that was just from the picture being taken under florescent lights.

Finally, FOUR MONTHS later, I was able to bring it home!

One of my favorite last minute thoughts was to change out the fender emblems to the ones from my '81 Bronco. Not only do I like them better, but they were a nice keepsake from something I had so many memories with.

It also made it unique to me.

A week after bring it home, I was able to give it its first bath. Had to wait for the paint to fully cure.

I also swapped out the 82 - 86 grille with the Ford emblem in the center for the grille from my '81. I much prefer the clean look!
Lastly, pulled the 32" tires and new rims off of my '81 and put them on the '85, completing the look.

I had to keep reminding myself that this was the best it was ever going to look. I'll do my best to keep it as nice as I can, but this is my camping rig, and it's going off-road.

But, it's now the prettiest Bronco I've ever owned!

May 2019 FOTM
March 2016 FOTM

Supermotors Pics

Last edited by AbandonedBronco; 05-06-2019 at 03:52 PM.
post #17 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 11:23 AM
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter

This was the Bronco with just a one inch body lift and 33's

Thanks, More to come.

Allcruisen

VOTE For FOTM !!!

"DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR"
post #18 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 11:29 AM
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter

With the help a fellow FSB Member we decided to go with a 4" suspension lift. Boy were we wrong and I think that only lasted a few Month's before we upgraded to the 6" lift. I know, he did tell me "you are gonna want to go with the 6" rather then the 4"," but I didn't listen, he was right and thanks to him he didn't mind doing most of the work.

Allcruisen

VOTE For FOTM !!!

"DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR"
post #19 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 11:32 AM
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter

Fast forward a few Years my baby boy schooling me on watt his stock '79 can out do my lifted '95.

Allcruisen

VOTE For FOTM !!!

"DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR"
post #20 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 08:42 PM
Ford Hoarder

Bronco Info: See Signature
Here is mine when I brought it home

2007 I believe... Its been a long time and it has followed me threw a bunch of life changes, like school, some slow times, and moving for a job.

Build Thread https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...8-project.html
Street Queen '92: 400hp/400ft-lb Roller 351W Built by Me, C6 Swap, 9" Swap, Corbeau Seats, Desert Bumpers, 4.10s, 33s
Sleeper Build '78: 2.5" Bypass Shocks, Deaver Springs, Full Roll Cage, Spool, 460, Hydro-Boost Brakes, Modded Duff Arms, Broader C6, Rust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Welcome > F.O.T.M Voting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode