July Full Size of the Month 2019 Vote Here!!! - Page 2 - Ford Bronco Forum
View Poll Results: Vote for your July 2019 Full Size of the Month !!!!!!!
d_rock 12 50.00%
stm 9 37.50%
TheHalfJamaican 1 4.17%
youngDUMP 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

516Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 01:58 AM
stm
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1987 FSB, 5.0, EB, C-6/ 1993 FSB, 5,0, XLT, E4OD
One story about rookie-offroader: what can be, if you nooby and goes to far for mudding alone.
Caution! - language terror is here! xDDDD
Many years ago, when I bought first BKO, I decided to go to one cool place – huge sandpits, placed in 100 miles from home. I planned to drive around, slightly takes a pics, to see big dozers and dredges. And in one places of that sandpits I went of to lake shore, which consist from dried clay. Trap was that at first moment I drove truck at dried top of mud and all was ok, I not feel any troubles. When wheels remove dry top and started to slip – was too late, I can’t to get back already. Only 2 or 3 times I can move forward and reverse and truck dig it till axles. Man can walk around absolutely normally, it looks and was hard for man, but can’t carry heavier things. I had one little trench shovel, and… that all… No hi-jack, no sandtracks. Was hot summer, 13 p.m., sun at middle on sky and about +95F degrees. At first moment I was positively and think, that can recover truck sooner. But small shovel can’t dig heavy and slippery clay, length of it lacks and I can’t remove tons of mud from under axles and truck bottom. I had bottle-jack and try to use it, even had a some pad, but nothing to help – bottlejack with pad went down in bottomless mud – useless. What next? - sure, I lock truck and went to find a smbdy for help. That area is far from paved roads and you must to go about 10 kilometers to nearest road. There was workers and dredge operator near that lake, but they send me to looong f...ng way)))) because their giant loader or digger can’t goes even half way to my truck. Battery in my cell phone was about die and has couple percent of charge, cable I stay home! Great!!! I decided not use phone and stay it for emergency. I asked one dump truck driver and he took me to near village, where I find tractor. Jerky tractor driver told, that it will easy and pull me from that for 10 thousands rubles (about 300$ at that time). Overpriced, but was nothing to do – I agreed. But… when we return to my truck, light tractor can’t pull me even inch!!! He tried to pull from many angles, but dig self twice, we hardly to unstuck tractor and man goes away, sending curses for my head, with no result (and no benefit too))). And I dig again, again and again… I tried to use brunches, some planks – useless. IDK, how much time I dig, but my hands was in blood, I fried on sun and was no drinking water. 5 or 6 hours? Maybe. Emergency call bring nothing – all buddies was very far and busy, and can’t to drive so quick. Truck goes more deep and now right door can’t open, all bottom lay on ground. Sun started go down and I decide to go one more time for help search. Even don’t any ideas in mind, where to go, and what to do. Was need something smaller, then giant sandpit equipment, and same time 4x4 or even 6x6 with winch. I remember, that was old ZIL 6x6 military truck near entering at sand sorting factory, but it looked as many times ago abandoned. I was go along road and suddenly large Dodge Ram 3500 appeared ahead! I asked for stop and one man told about me, what happened. I shortly told about him all story, and he ask me: “What truck?”. “Bronco”,- I said. And it was emotion hurricane: he loudly scream “ What????? What???? Bronco??? Really? - That is amazing! Unbelievable!!!” When he slightly cooled down, he explain me – that he is also Bronco fan, want to buy time ago Bronco, but not can find something in good condition. He told, that I went to my car and wait him – he was need to take his mother in law to rail station and he will return for rescuing operation. I told, that RAM 3500 don’t take so deeply sitting car, but he said, that will call to his buddy with UAZ with winch. After about hour they are really went to my stuck point. UAZ turned up as monster xDDDD – on 49” wheels, with winches and all packed with off-road equipment. It easily pulled me out at first turn. After we was long two hour chatting about trucks, American trucks, about Broncos. And they was rejected any reward, not took even fuel paid. After that I cleaned clay from suspension about 5 days))))
So, that story… Don’t go alone and with no minimal equipment…

__________________________________________________ _________________________

Here we went at last warm days two years ago for mushrooms and take some pics))))

1987, FSB, 5.0, EB, c-6, Black Hoss, some oldy, some rusty, milestone is over 1 000 000 miles.
1993, FSB, 5.0, XLT, E4OD, White Mare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 02:15 AM

Bronco Info: 1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 4.9L EFI, ZF S5-42, BW 1345, 32in BFG A/T
Garage
Bits and pieces

Fortunately, it didn't take me long to chase down a "new" top and rear window. The night before the accident, I had been at a hockey game (no kiddin, eh?) with some family and their friends, and one of them has a few Broncos of his own. I called him up, and for $300 I took home the tailgate glass, the top, and a factory roll bar. Along the way, I found some really nice front fenders in a salvage yard for $50. But I still needed a new driver side door, and had a fair bit of massaging to do on the quarter panel and roof.

Fast forward a few months, and I found a bucket of another 78, with no motor and a rotten floor but lots of good parts. Both doors on it were pretty good, better than mine, and it came with a pristine passenger side door. I managed to sell a lot of the things off it that I didn't need or want. The plywood is keeping the rain off that dang sunroof. It never left the yard like that, I swear.

Pulling nails

For lack of a stud welder, I TIG welded framing nails to the hood corners and pulled out the dents with a slide hammer. My first go around with a hammer and dolly took care of the rest... I overworked the metal for sure, but managed to patch of the thin spots pretty well later with metal-reinforced filler.

The quarter panel got some tabs welded onto the body lines, ratchet straps around a post for tension, and the hammer to work out the stress in the sheet metal. Again, I was pretty happy with my handiwork. A few body guys had recommended getting a new quarter, but availability up here in Canada isn't great. And shipping is a killer.

Beneath the skin

Around this point, OCD kicked in and I started stripping paint like crazy. Ended up having the whole truck down to bare metal, and figured that would make the upcoming paint job much more complete/robust. A thin coat of rattle can primer provided short term protection against the elements.

I found a few more things to patch up too. Turns out it used to have the rear tire carrier, and the bolts had been busted off and bondo'd over. Based on some old patch jobs I found, someone probably backed into something pretty hard, and stoved in the original tailgate. Mine is green on the inside.

Another reason to hate the sunroof:

Derek

From a 4x4 family: '78 Ranger XLT build thread... 4.9L EFI, ZF5
post #23 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 02:37 AM
stm
Fullsize Member

Black ice. Yes, it’s a dangerous. We are use winter spiked tires mostly. When you have half of year is winter – it good choice. One day I catch that moment – was rainy day at late Autumn, winter was at door, but I was on AT tires. After going temp below zero road covered with that black ice. We are dragging with 20 mph all way and one time I accidentally send rear axle to skid – was scary – I stopped it after 5 or 6 wags from side to side in traffic – fortunately, we are not contact nobody…
But other road story was more tricky. Too about ice, but all was so. Was cool pretty sunny day after long winter, Spring was coming, and each day was warmer and warmer. Ice and snow on asphalt roads melted completely, pavement absolutely dried. I drove to stables far from city and when I goes on highway to suburbs – I noticed, that when road comes from uphill to gap – narrow puddles or creeks flows across road. And I thought – “ It can be dangerous later, at evening, need to be caution.” And all day I spent at suburbs, sunny nice day, and I absolutely forgot about it. When I started to return, was already cold, like winter is returned, puddles covered with ice, every hour temp drop more and more, but when I turn to highway, it was dry, as at day. Dark comes down and in lights asphalt looks really good, even I make a short brake probe and was no any troubles. I put accel and took speed about 60 mph. Was not many cars at highway, almost all path I drove alone, and it was nice – no traffic and no dragging. In the middle of my way I saw headlights in mirror – some car chasing me and his speed was more quicker, at moment he went close, I was in right lane, he started overtake me at left lane. And when we was in parallel, I saw black stripe across highway, we was at bottom of lowland between hills and I remember – that is one of those creeks – and damned – it probably frozen now! Take a brake was too late – I only catch steering wheel firmly and hoped, that ice stripe was not so long. But all was worst – water was not iced completely – my truck breached thick ice layer and it was as blast – small ice pieces blows around and water took resistance to wheels – only weight of truck can help with no skid – BKO as icebreaker went trough that puddle. But car at left from me was lighter and his speed was maybe 80 mph or more – driver distracted for me and his small car started yawling more and more, I forced to add speed, else he can hit me. He used brakes very strongly and it fetched him to very dangerous deep skid, I saw as he was turned across highway, hit roadside splitter, hit big pile of snow on roadside and starts rolling trough roof many times. I can stopped completely after many meters – maybe half-mile, and return to him in with revers. Man was not injured, he was seat belted and pile of snow save his life, car was strongly crushed. He can get off the car and we try to switch off battery and ignition.
So was not black ice, but so traps like that can be on road…

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What about off-roading and local roads? Sure, when you go on highway many miles, you need speed and comfortable car. And when you are arrived at ranch - need 4x4. Bronco meet both requirements.
Our village placed in ass of world))))) and mudding is local national sport every rain. You can drive trough excellent local roads, sometimes it can be good even as highway, but at the end you reach 'last mile' - in real it's about 2 miles of dirt roads... So, when rains turn it to mud - many 4x2 stay at last good road.

1987, FSB, 5.0, EB, c-6, Black Hoss, some oldy, some rusty, milestone is over 1 000 000 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 03:10 AM

Garage
Forgot to mention it, but prior to strightening out that quarter panel, my dad and I had to shift the cab back into shape... the impact had tweaked the entire roof towards the passenger side, so we had a hi-lift jack across from the passenger side floor to the driver side roof, and a come-a-long across the other way. I'm familiar enough with spring-back of metal, but its amazing how much the entire body can shift without the metal yielding. We overstretched it by several inches (measuring the diagonal) before it landed in the right place.

The roof

Time to tackle this sucker. I took a week off work to make sure I had ample time to do this right, and did a lot of my prep work in advance. For a couple people with practice, I can see the cut/swap/weld/seal stage being possible in a day or two.

Notice the center support for the roof had been cut, allowing the roof skin to buckle and shift. The roof also should have a bit of a curve to it, while the sunroof frame is near flat, so the two were always fighting each other, creating leaks around the perimeter.

Some water damage above the windshield.

I sheared off the old roof skin with an air chisel. The strip around the edge I drilled out the spot welds and peeled it up. I made sure to leave the structure as solid as possible, ie. not drilling too deep. Pretty much all the ugly metal was on the old skin, not the roof structure. Big sigh of relief there!

Prepping the new roof skin off the white 78. There was a big dent to un-fill and hammer out, and a small patch to weld, but pretty good shape overall. Notice I left the brace attached to the skin.

Test-fitting the new skin, and welding in that patch on the driver side above the windshield.

I bought a lot of vise grips to do this step... 37 sets in use, having borrowed 6 from my dad. Everything is clamped and ready to weld. I TIG'd it together in all the spot weld holes that I had drilled out earlier. With nice tight contact between the layers, I would melt off the tip of my 3/32 filler right in the middle of the hole on the bottom layer, then flow it out until it filled the hole completely and fused with the top layer.

After welding, I filled any remaining gaps with seam sealer. Nice to have a roof again, and a solid one at that!

Derek

post #25 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 11:40 AM
stm
Fullsize Member

Weekend now and this is mean, that I going to ranch and take more pics))))
Rainy days are now and ranch is dirty deal ))))
Small photo mix from previous pictures...

post #26 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:05 PM
stm
Fullsize Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_rock View Post
Damned, man, really hat-off!!!! You are almost build body from zero!!!))))))) Welding and painting are most terrible))))
BigBlue 94, Doosenberry and d_rock like this.

post #27 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:37 PM
stm
Fullsize Member

-

Last edited by stm; 07-16-2019 at 03:50 AM. Reason: temp message
post #28 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 11:01 PM

Garage
Finishing up the metal

My "new" driver side door needed a little bit of patching up in the front lower corner:

The quarter panel top on the passenger side had to be rebuilt. I had a solid driver side for comparison. My construction wasn't pretty, but the bodywork hid it very well later.

Old paint totally stripped, including jambs. I had a really hard time finding someone to do bodywork and paint for me... People either wanted to rattle can it for $1,000 or make a show car for $15,000. I wanted a clean and complete looking daily driver, that I could actually play with... Eventually I found the right person. I'm not sure what was harder: having the Bronco out of reach for a month, or seeing it pulled by a bowtie truck...

I finished up a few things on the doors, tailgate, hood, and dash frame, then dropped them off at the guy's shop. I beefed up the tailgate and door hinges with new bushings and shoulder bolts.

Derek

post #29 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 01:10 PM

Bronco Info: 1989 EB Bronco, 5.0, AOD, 4" lift, 35" tires, 4.56s
I had a list of things to do on the bronco and was happy to get started on it. Here’s where things started to get really fun for me. One of the main things bothering me about my bronco was the unknown make transplanted junkyard driver seat. It was out of a small car of some sort. Messing around on Craigslist one night I came across a 1990 EB complete roller chassis. The seats were in great shape and the interior was 100% there. I made the purchase and my boss picked it up since he was in the area. 4 days later he dropped it off to me at my job site. Here’s a pic of the parts truck

And here’s a pic of my 89 before I started swapping parts. All black everything

The first thing I swapped was the chrome grill, headlights, and chrome wheel well trim took place of the fender flares the PO had installed.
After that I started swapping interior panels, carpet, seats and seatbelts to get everything back to stock inside. The panels from the parts truck were much less faded, so they made there way into the swap as well.

Here’s the front seats installed with the addition of some husky floor mats

Replaced my radiator overflow tank with a junkyard unit since my mounts were broken on the original.
I also pulled the air box, factory snorkel, and intake tubes from the parts truck as they were in better shape than mine were and the throttle body cover because mine was missing, tb cover not in the pic here
Then I swapped tops from black to tan. Weather stripping was in good shape on both tops, so no worries there.

At this point I’m starting to feel like the truck is becoming mine.

IG @schaeferlight
post #30 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 02:10 PM
stm
Fullsize Member

Guys, little offtop. But it real bronco)))) I can do that never been with metal bronco)))
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (406.3 KB, 3 views)

post #31 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 03:59 AM

Garage
Bumpers

About a year ago, I was looking into bumper options... I came pretty close to pulling the trigger on the Protofab set. What stopped me? Well that parts Bronco I had came with a Warn M8274, and judging by the date code, it was built in 1980. I got attached to the idea of putting an old-school winch on my old-school 4x4. Warn still makes the M8274, more or less unchanged in design, and it sells for pretty big bucks: a testament to they're durability and quality. The replacement motor for them is rated higher than original, at 9000 lb. So I will be rebuilding my winch, and not many companies offer mounting for the M8274. Any off-the-shelf bumper would need to be modified to fit it, so why not design my own?

Design my own, I did. And my buddy plasma cut the parts out for me. This has been a slow side project since last summer, with the bulk of my efforts going into the Bronco itself.

My requirements:
  • Ability to adjust slightly up/down and side-to-side for alignment with the body
  • Frame rails tied together to better load share and to reduce the chance for twisting or bending the frame
  • Shackle tabs beefy enough to hang my Bronco off of, with a direct load path back into the frame rails
  • Durable skid-plate bottoms with high ground clearance
  • Minimum possible sickout in the front and rear
  • Wrap around protection of the fenders and quarter panels, similar to the stock bumpers
  • M8274 winch mounting on the front
  • Spare tire carrier on the rear
  • Recessed lights front and rear, with shrouds

I also opted to use the triangular spaces in the front bumper as small toolboxes, so those holes get lids with locking latches. Most of the parts are 1/4in steel, some less critical parts are 1/8in.

Here is the rear tire carrier hinge kit that I ordered from Comp4x4. The key advantage of this kit is that you do not weld directly on the spindle (highly stressed component, frequently under bending), which would affect the grain structure of the metal (make it more prone to cracking). Also shown, parts getting cut at my buddy's shop.

The parts:

My bumper mounting system allows for up/down and side-to-side adjustability:

Initial test fit of the rear bumper:

After some trimming and fine tuning:

The rear bumper should be done this month. The front bumper still has a ways to go, but we'll see... I also took this opportunity to make a reinforcement plate for my firewall, to take out the flex and provide better stiffness for the pedals, particularly the hydraulic clutch. There is also a hard stop for the clutch pedal, so I (actually other people) don't bottom out the master. I started by measuring out the firewall I salvaged from the white Bronco:

Tomorrow we'll check in on bodywork and paint...

Derek

Last edited by d_rock; 07-14-2019 at 04:01 AM. Reason: typo
post #32 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 04:22 PM
stm
Fullsize Member

-

Last edited by stm; 07-16-2019 at 03:50 AM. Reason: temp message
post #33 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 08:22 PM

Garage
Bodywork and paint

I probably could have done this myself, but it would have taken me much longer, and I would have wasted a lot of material. I probably would have had to do the whole thing 2 or 3 times to learn how to do a good job, and then carry it out. Although it took me a long time to find someone willing to do the right prep and put a clean coat on it, I am very happy with how it turned out, and with the colors I picked. No bodywork was done to the interior, except a bit of trimming I did to eliminate sharp edges. Anyone else gotten snagged while reaching through to hook up tubes or wires?

Exterior: Tangerine (Ford M5533)
Interior: Dark Brown (Ford M5247) <- this one has some flake in it, didn't realize at the time

I stopped by the guy's shop to see how things were going, and he sent me some update pictures along the way too.

Delivery day:

Some brackets and other parts I painted black myself, in a makeshift booth in my dad's shop. DP90 epoxy primer.

Derek

post #34 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 12:50 AM

I pulled the badges off the parts truck since mine were missing. Some 3M double sided trim tape from the zone worked great.

And my license plate came in

Another item I pulled from the parts truck was the spare tire carrier

Before I installed the tire carrier it needed to get freshened up. I ditched the plastic bushings and used bronze bushing from McMaster Carr for the pivot points

Scuff, prime, paint

assembly and install

And new tire cover

IG @schaeferlight
post #35 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 01:19 AM

Here’s a look at the tire carrier latch bushing I got from JBG. For mine I had to put a slit in it to slide over the carrier. I glued it back together with some CA glue once installed.
Between that and the bronze bushings, my carrier does not rattle at all and has super smooth operation. I’d recommend the bronze bushing upgrade if you haven’t done it yet.
I had some side steps sitting in my dads shop that I got for my first truck that I never installed. With a little modification they mounted up and made cab access much easier. I don’t like things hanging too low off the truck, so I cut ~1” off of the mounting brackets to tuck them up a little more.

I like how they brighten up the truck and I think they look pretty cool with the speed holes
Back to the parts truck I went. This time I was after the 15x10 Alcoa wheels. I was happy as could be with $50 mount and balance
Saw this guy on my way home and had to pull over to check it out. Nice sunny shot

IG @schaeferlight
post #36 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 10:26 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: '96 XLT 5.0L manual hubs, 4" Rancho lift, rock sliders, relocated shock mounts, original USBP vehicl
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stm View Post
Our village placed in ass of world)))))

That quote alone is almost worth my vote!

post #37 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 03:44 PM
stm
Fullsize Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosteh View Post

That quote alone is almost worth my vote!
I tried to explain only)))) xDDDD

post #38 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:15 PM

The Alcoa wheels were dull and dirty and that bothered me. I picked up some steel wool, kerosene, sandpaper assortment, a mother’s powerball and some white diamond metal polish.
Starting on the back side I used kerosene and steel wool to get the grime off

After some elbow grease

Then on to the front side
I wet sanded up to 1500 grit

I let the wheels dry and started with the white diamond and powerball

IG @schaeferlight
post #39 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 02:27 AM

Garage
Re-assembly

With everything taken as far apart as it was, the incremental effort to repair/replace all the little things seemed justified. Starting on the doors, I re-seated the vent window glass into new frames, and installed all new weather-stripping along with the freshly painted division bar:

I needed a new windshield, and found a mobile glass shop that would supply the glass and install it for about $300 CAD. I know this can be a hassle to do, especially for someone who doesn't do it often, so I jumped on the opportunity.

From the parts Bronco, I got a decent tailgate lock cylinder (mine was seized, and didn't fit my key) and a glovebox lock. I had a few other locks on hand as well, and tore them all apart, and re-pinned them to fit my best key. Its nice to have a complete smooth-turning set now with a single key. I cleaned up all the internals, turned and lapped a few pins as required to tune their lengths and clean up edges, and lubricated the locks with graphite.

When I went to re-install my wiper motor, I notice a broken ground strap, so I cleaned up that assembly too and replaced the ground strap with several 12awg wires to various grounded bolts for redundancy.

With the pedal assembly from the white Bronco (NP435), I had a choice of pedal assembly parts, and picked the ones that had the least amount of play once assembled. Fresh primer and paint for this too, while I finished up the firewall reinforcement. The new firewall insulation fit reasonably well on the passenger side, but my driver-side stiffening didn't play well with it. So I just left that piece out and trimmed the main piece at a bit where necessary.

Moving on to the wiring. But I already finished this, didn't I?
Now I have an alarm system to add, and remote entry, and some pre-wiring for off-road gear that I want later...

Derek

post #40 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 03:47 AM
stm
Fullsize Member

Another chat trying. Waiting smbdy in chat room...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Welcome > F.O.T.M Voting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode