CWbronco SAS - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 318 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 72 Explorer
CWbronco SAS

thought id start my own SAS thread so i can get more opinions and knowledge than my normal build thread. anyway this is what im starting with. let me know if anyone sees anything missing.

boxed, fresh in from UPS. that guy had the nastiest look on his face.

lower HD cups from James Duff

James Duff long arms

2* poly bushings

6" deaver coils sitting in the HD cups

1 ton steering from Ruffstuff

on their way..

upper coil buckets from Rusty Shackleford
shock hoops courtesy of Mr. Jim Cole
Tuff Country upper track bar mount

still to be ordered/bought..

(4) 5160 bilstein shocks, 14" travel, 255/70 valving
brake lines to work with my t-bird calipers
7* tapered reamer

modifying original track bar for the initial swap, then swapping to the bulletproof one offered by JBG.

only thing i dont know about is the rim offset issue i may run into.

Build

SAS

FOTM Oct. 2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 318 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

this is my 44 as i just bought it. out of a 78 f150

and pretty much how it sits now, in my crammed garage.

Build

SAS

FOTM Oct. 2012
post #3 of 318 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 12:27 AM

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco 5.0 / JBA silver ceramic SS headers / E4OD / 4.56 / D44 SAS
What is your rim offset now? I threw on 1 1/2" spacers when I built mine, and actually had enough clearance with mt stock TTB wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 318 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

I haven't checked my offset yet, but I'll put it up when I find out. SAS scheduled for feb 6-10. Should have everything together and ready to roll by then.

Build

SAS

FOTM Oct. 2012
post #5 of 318 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 05:37 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 95 XLT SAS Dana 44 front Power lock Ford 8.8 rear True track 4.88 gears 6" Devers shackle flip
looking good, i love new parts but my wife only lets me buy used parts for my pos.
post #6 of 318 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Banned

Bronco Info: Gas mileage was horrible. Sold bronco & bought a prius.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWbronco View Post
thought id start my own SAS thread so i can get more opinions and knowledge than my normal build thread. anyway this is what im starting with. let me know if anyone sees anything missing.

boxed, fresh in from UPS. that guy had the nastiest look on his face.

g]
off to a great start. That's funny 'bout the ups guy. Not like shipping is cheap. How the hell does he think he get's paid? from the small light stuff? Question on the radius arm bushings. Are they available in rubber with the correct adjustment?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thin blue line View Post
looking good, i love new parts but my wife only lets me buy used parts for my pos.
I buy used when I can, but some of this stuff RARELY comes up for sale used. My wife doesn't know what I buy. All she knows is I keep dumping money into the ugliest truck in the world. That's even funnier, 'cause that's the main reason I like broncos: I just think they look good. She would rather me buy a shiny new one go figure.
post #7 of 318 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoldman View Post
off to a great start. That's funny 'bout the ups guy. Not like shipping is cheap. How the hell does he think he get's paid? from the small light stuff? Question on the radius arm bushings. Are they available in rubber with the correct adjustment?
thanks. yeah who knows his deal. i dont care i still get my stuff

rubber im not sure of, poly you can get them in whatever you want. got mine off JBG but james duff sells them, tons of people do.

oh and got these in today

they need a little help, seem to have a small hole in the top of both. right near where the retaining bolt goes in.

Build

SAS

FOTM Oct. 2012
post #8 of 318 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 10:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
thanks. yeah who knows his deal. i dont care i still get my stuff

rubber im not sure of, poly you can get them in whatever you want. got mine off JBG but james duff sells them, tons of people do.

oh and got these in today

they need a little help, seem to have a small hole in the top of both. right near where the retaining bolt goes in.
Only reason I ask, is that I know that at that bushing is the most amount of binding going on in that type of suspension setup. Poly doesn't flex, it breaks. Rubber gives, but wears out. I ordered up all poly bushings for my truck before I read someone saying that (Redwagon maybe, not sure). I run leafs, but it's the same principal. I sold all my poly stuff, and stayed with rubber. I like flex over longevity. Thread I learned it from stated that the poly bushings lasted one trip, due to splitting. The coil guys would know better than I would. Just trying to help.
post #9 of 318 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoldman View Post
Only reason I ask, is that I know that at that bushing is the most amount of binding going on in that type of suspension setup. Poly doesn't flex, it breaks. Rubber gives, but wears out. I ordered up all poly bushings for my truck before I read someone saying that (Redwagon maybe, not sure). I run leafs, but it's the same principal. I sold all my poly stuff, and stayed with rubber. I like flex over longevity. Thread I learned it from stated that the poly bushings lasted one trip, due to splitting. The coil guys would know better than I would. Just trying to help.
good point, something i hadnt thought of or heard of. well since these are cheap, ill run them till they break. get some rubber ones after if it ends up being an issue. thanks for the heads up.

Build

SAS

FOTM Oct. 2012
post #10 of 318 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 10:52 PM
Former owner of Shadofax

Bronco Info: 95XLT351 E4OD SAS 44/ARB/Alloy shafts-joints. D60 rear/Detroit. 4wheel disc,35" KO2's, 4.56etc.
Quote:
good point, something i hadnt thought of or heard of. well since these are cheap, ill run them till they break. get some rubber ones after if it ends up being an issue. thanks for the heads up.
What are you using those poly bushings for? The axle C's should get poly. They last, the should not flex, and with duff/cage arms there is another set of bushings between them and the frame. The RA arm to axle mount with duff and cage as I recall are also poly, and this is good, no issue here. All the flex really comes from the heim at the frame side.

I do like rubber bushings for like the rear leaf springs and body mounts. They also could come in handy with 1 of the track bar mounts.

post #11 of 318 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 10:55 PM
Local # 40 Boilermakers

Bronco Info: transforming...
I dont think its an issue on the wedges. There are plenty of other bushings to help with what ever other stresses it might see.

UNION PRIDE
MY STUPIDMOTORS
post #12 of 318 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

they are for the wedge c's. and good then, i got poly in the first place because thats what everyone else seemed to be doing. and it looks as if im on the right track.

Build

SAS

FOTM Oct. 2012
post #13 of 318 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 11:15 PM

looking forword to the build looks great. what are you doing with the stock radius arms ine of mine is bent and i cant find any up here
post #14 of 318 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 11:17 PM
Former owner of Shadofax

Bronco Info: 95XLT351 E4OD SAS 44/ARB/Alloy shafts-joints. D60 rear/Detroit. 4wheel disc,35" KO2's, 4.56etc.
Quote:
they are for the wedge c's. and good then, i got poly in the first place because thats what everyone else seemed to be doing. and it looks as if im on the right track.
yes. no need for movement (twist) of the axle when the front is under power, and there is plenty of bushing to keep the ride ok. Also the rubber gets real messy over time, and if you use a white lithium grease during install, and prep/primer/paint those axle wedges good before install, you will should have minimal rust and no squeaking with poly. Mine have never squeaked.

post #15 of 318 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gongshow View Post
looking forword to the build looks great. what are you doing with the stock radius arms ine of mine is bent and i cant find any up here
collecting dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadofax View Post
yes. no need for movement (twist) of the axle when the front is under power, and there is plenty of bushing to keep the ride ok. Also the rubber gets real messy over time, and if you use a white lithium grease during install, and prep/primer/paint those axle wedges good before install, you will should have minimal rust and no squeaking with poly. Mine have never squeaked.
will do. i think ill be assembling some of the arms tomorrow, large hardware bag to sort through.

Build

SAS

FOTM Oct. 2012
post #16 of 318 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 11:43 PM

Bronco Info: 1985 EB current 1-ton sas and diesel/zf5 swap in progress
ewww, new parts. i bet that set you back a nice chunk. looking forward to the tear down and re-assembly....
post #17 of 318 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 01:34 AM
Banned

I'm not trying to disagree. However, I'm gonna try to find what I read. Bottom line is it said that the largest down fall to the radius arm / coil spring type suspension, was binding in the radius arms. I think that I interpreted that to mean the c bushing. 'cause the other end is usually a hm rod end(far less bind).
post #18 of 318 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

quick question..

the stock radius arms i have came with the c cap with the dual shock built into it. do i have to grind this off to make room for the 1 ton steering im using? i thought i saw that somewhere.

or if anyone sees this and wants to trade for a set without the shock mount id do that.

Build

SAS

FOTM Oct. 2012
post #19 of 318 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 01:51 PM
Former owner of Shadofax

Quote:
quick question..

the stock radius arms i have came with the c cap with the dual shock built into it. do i have to grind this off to make room for the 1 ton steering im using? i thought i saw that somewhere.

or if anyone sees this and wants to trade for a set without the shock mount id do that.
I don't think those are an issue. I think 1 person used them for a swaybar mount. Are you doing knuckle under or leaving your steering stock?

post #20 of 318 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 02:02 PM
ate lug

Bronco Info: 88 Bronco/96 Bronco/96 F250
Garage
If you go knuckle under and use chevy TREs & DOM, it doesnt clear the tierod.

88bronco: web / FSB || 96 bronco: web / FSB || 96 F250: web / FSB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Solid Axle Swaps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode