D44, coil sas for me. - Page 2 - Ford Bronco Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 88 eddie bauer, 5.8, 351w, 35" tires, k&n cai, full custom 3" exhaust, 4" SAS
Garage
I took it off road for the first time after the SAS today and it worked great. No problems that I can see and everything seemed to stay tight. I did notice while I was under there that I was leaking a little oil and that the bolts holding on my transmission fluid pan were falling out! One of them was gone and a few more were on their last thread. I couldn't believe that I wasn't just spewing out fluid. So I tightened both of the pans up and so far no leaks. Really strange.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 07:44 AM
OX1
Fullsize Member

Nice job, very clean/simple install!!

I assume many have done as SAS with stock radius arms/brackets. Does not having the support of the stock crossmember, inboard of the radius arm brackets, cause any problems with frame bend/twist?

79 XLT, 400/C6/MOG 404's/43 SX STICKIES, 8.5" lift.
79 XLT, 400/C6/D60-D44 8 lug, 2" lift, 35 BFG AT
74 Bronc build, 408/C6/Black Box/205/406 mogs/43 SX stickies

post #23 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 88 eddie bauer, 5.8, 351w, 35" tires, k&n cai, full custom 3" exhaust, 4" SAS
Garage
I've heard that it could but I'm not very concerned about it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 09:26 AM

Bronco Info: 1991 EB 5.8 auto on 32s
this is a great help for me,as my join date and post count shows. i lurk and read,i have a 79 axle on my front porch now im rebuilding,and i wanted to do THIS,kiss method.if you dont mind i might hit you up for a few ? as well.can you use stock drag mount as well . all was given to me in package.the only thing i didnt get was springs and buckets.I havent found a list of what you CAN use off 79...you know a min buy list and a MAX swap list..the things that you just CANT use...I LOVE THE KEEP IT STOCK LOOK..nice..........THANK YOU
post #25 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 09:45 AM

Bronco Info: f150
you can do a swap wth all stock 78-79, and 80-96 parts. Some aftter market stuff, like james duff track bar mount makes things much easier. Adjustable track bars are nice too. The more fab skills you have the more doors open. If you do things right your kiss method can pay off, but that doesn't mean cut corners and cheap out either. That being said there really isn't a list because anything can be used

Never ending 1 ton f150 build, bobbed 1 ton frame, leaf sprung d60/10.25, chevy springs and brakes, 44 boggers http://www.supermotors.net/registry/27093/84418

and the old build rip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9O_TqyVYVg
post #26 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 10:15 AM

Thanks for the info.I was just wanting to know what i had to rebuy out of the stuff i allready had.I need to start my own story and not threadjack. I have the skills just not the tools..... thanks
post #27 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 10:37 AM

Bronco Info: 81 Bronco 351M c6 SAS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithlord View Post
Thanks for the info.I was just wanting to know what i had to rebuy out of the stuff i allready had.I need to start my own story and not threadjack. I have the skills just not the tools..... thanks
You can do the swap like zippo with alot less tools than your think I did mine the same as his almost at the start then later on started evolving it unfortunately I never did a build thread

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #28 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Yeah like I said earlier in my thread, I used as many stock parts as I could. the only thing that I bought that didn't have to was a drag link. You can ask all of the questions that you want. Good luck!

post #29 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 06:35 PM

any idea where to get spring mounts need top and bottom, also do you have shocks that are opposite ...in front on one side ..back on other..?
post #30 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
any idea where to get spring mounts need top and bottom, also do you have shocks that are opposite ...in front on one side ..back on other..?
you can use the stock coil mounts, so you can get them from anywhere. I suggest looking at junk yards first.

No I have both of them on the back because with the 79 they only had one shock behind the coil.

post #31 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 08:52 PM

yes on the junkyards but theres no way you will find anything older than 95 around here {damn rednecks} lol they scoop up everything of use and crush whatevers left.
Could you post pics of shock mounts and spring mounts if you have time please.how much cleareance on the crossmember at flex....thanks for takeing time to answer.this is the first build that is the way i want to do it.......THANK YOU
post #32 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
We had a PM chat but I think that it would be a good idea to post it here so other people can see it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithlord
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippome
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippome
Quote:
hey bud can i ask what your mesurments are for your spring mounts ,shock buckets and where you mesured from. I assume that the tourque arms would fall in place from that. then the trackbar would be last and just strait across to the frame. i like your axle placement and im not sure how to get there...if you have time ...and thanks.....craig
that's kinda hard to answer because there really isn't a spot that I can measure from that would be the same on both sides. what I did was I found the center point of the original bucket, moved that forward 1" and that would be the center point for the new bucket. I did it that way because every time I tried to go off of one solid point for both sides one always looked off. make sure you take everyones advice and measure your ass off first. I messed up at first and my passenger side was a 1/4 inch off and it made a HUGE difference. The coil buckets are the most important ones. then it would be the radius arm brackets. After those the shock mounts can really just go anywhere. Same with the track bar mount. Did that help?
yea that helps a lot center point is a solid referance for both sides.how did you get radius blacket placement.i thought about just mesureing the arm and going from the center of bucket back that length for that?,,,and last ?about the buckets why dont people use the stock buckets instead of 79.do they not fit the coils,or is it shock placement wrong ..i want to use duel shock setup and it just seems TOeasy to use something allready there.I know it wont work or everybody would be doing it that way......thanks for getting back to me ..craig
You can use the stock buckets in the stock location if you want to. The reason that people use the 78-79 buckets is because they want to move it forward 1". When you move it forward it centers the tires in the wheel well, It's a must if you are going to run tires 35" or bigger. And with the 78-79 D44 you can't use duel shocks, unless you make a whole lot of customization's. When I found the spot to mount my radius arm brackets I measured about every way possible. You can never go wrong getting lots of measurements.
thank you,, im trying to get as much info as i can before i start takeing things apart...all of the threads that i have seen... none have numbers for radius mounts or how to get them. 35s is what im shooting for. thanks for the help

post #33 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Not a very good pic of the SAS, but it is a pic after I took it out for the first time.

post #34 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 12:17 PM

W
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippome View Post
So I'm just about done with my SAS and I have failed to make a build thread until now. But better late than never I guess.

First of all I would like to say that I tried to use as many stock parts as I could. Here is my parts list.

Axle - D44 out of a 79 Bronco, 4:56 gearing, eaton locker, new manual locking hubs, and a heavy duty diff cover from ruff stuff.
Brakes - Stock 79
Brake lines - The 88 extended ones from JBG.
Drive shaft - stock 88 that I got extended
upper coil buckets - stock 79
shock towers - stock f250
radius arms - stock 79
radius arms brackets - stock 79
track bar - superlift extended 79
track bar mount - ruff stuff
coils - 4" lift 79
shocks - pro comp 16 - 26
tre and drag link - DOM
pitman arm - I used the drop one that I had from when I did my 6" lift.
new steering gear box because I needed one.

Here is a before pic. I had already done a 6" lift with the TTB.

Here is my new to me axle.

I had to bow out at this point, and I took the axle to a shop to have it re-built. I don't have to means of knowledge to do it myself.

So of course the first thing I did was rip everything out!

I didn't take a whole lot of pics so I'm going to apologize for that. After I ripped it all out and cleaned it up I thought that the most important thing to do first would be the coil buckets.

The drivers side was a PITA. I think that was the main thing I learned from all of this was that everything on the drivers side sucks. But like a lot of people I wanted to move the coil buckets forward an inch for better fit with bigger tires. that's the whole reason that I used the 79 coil buckets, you can use the stock 88(or whatever year you have) if you don't want to move them forward. So to move the drivers side forward I had to notch out the bottom and move the bolt locations.

the passenger side went in like a breeze.

After that I got to hang the axle from the coils and then figure out placement for the radius arm brackets.
I decided to use the stock 79 brackets because I'm only planning on doing a 4"-6" lift.

I located the track bar mount just forward of the coil bucket. I didn't take a pic of it yet but you can see the spot that I cleared off for welding.

To install the tre and drag link I had to use a reamer which was fun.
I also had to cut the front part of the cross member and I had to remove the old power steering fluid cooler and put in a new one that I picked up at auto zone for $20. It was actually a tranny cooler but it will work.

I got to make a trip down to Driven Auto to pick up some parts, bronco heaven.

It's on it's own weight right now and I just drove it on the freeway. After doing that I realize that I need to get a steering stabilizer and get a professional alignment. My redneck alignment is just a little bit off.
I also need to switch out the stock D44 yoke with the old TTB one so I can get my drive shaft u-bolt to fit.
What are the benefits of a solid axle vs ttb?
post #35 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well for one things like this won't happen any more.

5bt_ld4JcWw

1. Strength - It makes the front end of the truck so much stronger. With the TTB there are lots of "points of failure" weak spots where something can break or go wrong. With a solid axle you can eliminate almost all of them.

2. Customization - You are limited to what you can do with a TTB. But solid axles can be like an Lego set, you can do almost anything you want.

I'm sure that other people can add on more. This is really a question that you should ask in the SAS Noob question thread, unless your just trying to find out why "I" wanted it. Anyway hope that answers your question, feel free to ask any more. I don't get mad when people ask questions, I used to be a teacher.

post #36 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 07:55 PM

Bronco Info: 1993, cummins 4bt, t-19, 6" lift, tires undecided 35 or 37", project almost done, need tags & ins.
nice clean build.
post #37 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Well for one things like this won't happen any more.

5bt_ld4JcWw

1. Strength - It makes the front end of the truck so much stronger. With the TTB there are lots of "points of failure" weak spots where something can break or go wrong. With a solid axle you can eliminate almost all of them.

2. Customization - You are limited to what you can do with a TTB. But solid axles can be like an Lego set, you can do almost anything you want.

I'm sure that other people can add on more. This is really a question that you should ask in the SAS Noob question thread, unless your just trying to find out why "I" wanted it. Anyway hope that answers your question, feel free to ask any more. I don't get mad when people ask questions, I used to be a teacher.
I get the point,also heard the TTB flexes better. With aftermarket parts you can get the solid axle to flex as well. I will be doing the solid axle swap with the Dana 44 when I do the 4bt swap.
post #38 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm not so sure that the TTB flexes all that well. The only positive to it is that it will keep the tire flat rather than tilt on it's side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93dieselbronco View Post
nice clean build.
Thanks!

post #39 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 10:07 PM

Bronco Info: '87- 4.9, Tremec RTS 4-spd, 33's, SAS
Mine flexes pretty good

The reason it flexes is because of the ext. arms I built

post #40 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 02:03 AM

Bronco Info: 1987 Eddie Bauer 302, 4" rancho lift, dual magnalfows, 35" Discoverer stt's
Quote:
Not a very good pic of the SAS, but it is a pic after I took it out for the first time.

Yo! your ride?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Solid Axle Swaps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode