3Likes
  • 1 Post By White Dragon
  • 1 Post By AbandonedBronco
  • 1 Post By Axilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1993 Bronco Nite, 351W 5.8L Automatic
Garage
Utah west of Moab: any tips/info/advice?

For my husband's birthday in June we are heading out to Utah to explore the back country surrounding the national parks since we are taking our dog and they are not allowed on national park trails. Moab has tons of info in this forum (which I thank you for!) but does anyone have any info/tips/advice on all the other amazing areas of southern Utah? Especially around Capitol Reef National Park, the San Rafael Swell and Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument? I super appreciate the posts about reputable mechanics, towing services, hospitals and vets as well as killer trails to check out.

We are going on our own, so we don't plan to do any serious crawling (since we won't have anyone with us to winch us out!) but any info is appreciated :)

Good trucks never die... they get rebuilt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Nobody??? Not a single person has driven past Moab?

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:02 AM
<- Where to Next? ->

Bronco Info: '96 XL
Beings as nobody is "Speaking Up" I would recommend you to Research your trip like any other Vacation.
(With Extra Focus on trail routes.)

If you are planning to do any Wheeling, I Would Highly recommend
Caution as you never know what you might come across.
(dont forget the "kitchen sink", the item you forget Will be the 1 you need)

Maybe someone else will chime in here soon.
you can also try FB - "Utah Bronco Club" & RR4W for info too.
(and You Tube Videos maybe)

Good Luck.
Dragon
Axilla! likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:47 AM
Big Six

Bronco Info: 1985 300ci 6cyl. ZF 5 speed manual. 32" tires. DUI ignition. Holley Sniper EFI.
For trails, I would suggest the Jeep 3D trail.

My wife and I were out there in May for the Bronco meet up ( which was also over my birthday ) and this is a trail we went on when we were all by ourselves.
Our Bronco is mostly stock, with 32" tires. No lift, etc. And since we drove it 500 miles there, we needed to be able to drive it 500 miles back and didn't want to break anything. Fun trail with lots of variety, but nothing too difficult.
Buy a local trail map while you're there, too. They have difficulty rating posted on the maps, as well as where to find them.

Not sure on the national parks, since we didn't have a dog with us, but I know we enjoyed Arches National Park while we were there.
Axilla! likes this.

March 2016 FOTM
1985 Eddie Bauer Bronco. High Performance 9.1:1 compression 300 (305) I6. Roller Rockers, DUI ignition, Holley Sniper EFI. ZF5. 32" BFG A/T KO2s. 3.55 8.8" rear.
Supermotors Pics
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you White Dragon! I will check out the "Utah Bronco Club" & RR4W :) This trip has been thoroughly researched (my husband has maps 4 layers deep on our table!) and we have been through Utah several times, but this is only our 2nd time in the Bronco. We don't plan to do any actual wheeling because like you said we are alone and that isn't the best idea. What we are planning to do is drive on the dirt roads that head into nowhere and sometimes get washed out beyond the national parks. SO much amazing land to explore! I was just looking for any personal recommendations on places to go and things to see :)

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Talking This is what I'm looking for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco View Post
For trails, I would suggest the Jeep 3D trail.

My wife and I were out there in May for the Bronco meet up ( which was also over my birthday ) and this is a trail we went on when we were all by ourselves.
Our Bronco is mostly stock, with 32" tires. No lift, etc. And since we drove it 500 miles there, we needed to be able to drive it 500 miles back and didn't want to break anything. Fun trail with lots of variety, but nothing too difficult.
Buy a local trail map while you're there, too. They have difficulty rating posted on the maps, as well as where to find them.

Not sure on the national parks, since we didn't have a dog with us, but I know we enjoyed Arches National Park while we were there.
This is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for, thank you! And happy belated birthday

We will also be driving over 1,200 miles each way, and we want to be able to make it home as well! We want to explore beyond the pavement and main roads, but not get ourselves into any trouble or break things

Where would you recommend buying local trail maps? I'm all about shopping local once we are there :) Thank you SO MUCH for the trail tip!

I reward you with 2 photos from our last Utah trip, the first of a road that was washed out that we didn't cross (about a 8' drop!) and the second at a little park we stopped at to let the pup run around :)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Truck1.jpg (486.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Truck5.jpg (597.3 KB, 0 views)
BigBlue 94 likes this.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 10:10 AM
Big Six

Bronco Info: 1985 300ci 6cyl. ZF 5 speed manual. 32" tires. DUI ignition. Holley Sniper EFI.
Such a beautiful area! I loved it down there, it was our first time.
We got our trail map at the gas station that was by our camp ground (Archview). It was about $12, but was high quality plastic sheet (waterproof) instead of paper, so it was nice to have.

Happy birthday to your husband. Have a great time.

March 2016 FOTM
1985 Eddie Bauer Bronco. High Performance 9.1:1 compression 300 (305) I6. Roller Rockers, DUI ignition, Holley Sniper EFI. ZF5. 32" BFG A/T KO2s. 3.55 8.8" rear.
Supermotors Pics
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 10:46 AM
Wild Cayuse

Bronco Info: 85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
Garage
Yeah, most places around that a visitor would stop at have maps available. And always ask locals about trails you can do.

In all honesty, you could do Fins and Things trail and most of Hell's revenge. When I did those two, there was both a stock 77 bronco and a stock bronco 2 doing them. And the issue about being alone is usually not. In the peak season, the trails are constantly in use and theres bound to be others there. Most are willing to help someone in need. They may want a six pack of compensation tho... That being said, not trail riding solo is a good idea.

There is an offroad tow truck in the Moab area. He is VERY skilled at driving the trails. You can see him do Hell's Gate IN REVERSE on YouTube.

There is also a level 4 trauma hospital and numerous vets in the Moab Area.

Vote for Full-size Of The Month in January, March, May,
July, and September!

FOTM forum section
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Wheeling > Mountain States Chapter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode