Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

"help please" Ford F150 + Homemade Hummer Body = Ford H150 (Build Thread)

2M views 1K replies 500 participants last post by  Woogeroo 
#1 ·
Hi guys
I’m new to this forum, as you can see,
I need your advise, this might be long. Since I’m a Ford nut but always wanted a Hummer but don’t have lots of money, I decided to fabricate my own base on Ford truck frame (I told you I’m a ford nut) right now I have a 1987 F150 4x4 and a 1991 E250 van. since I know the 8.8 rear won’t last long with 37” tire, I will used the 10.25
out of the van but I’m questioning the front, I’m not sure if I should just do a 8bolt swap to the TTB d44 or just swap the hole thing to a solid hd44
Kept in mind that I will not be rock crawling with it, it will be used as my daily driver and for pulling a car trailer. Fabrication for the SAS is not a problem for me
I found a scrap ward that as a good chose of axle that I can chose from
I know solid axles are better for offroad/rock crawling but what about ride quality?
I’m not worry about high-speed handling (how fast can you go with a brick wall after all!)
I know I don’t have a big bronco (I do have a 90BroncoII) but I ask these question on other
Ford truck forum but never got straight answers :banghead
You guy’s seen to know all about SAS vs TTB so your advise will be greatly appreciated :rockon

Thanks
Francois

See less See more
#4 ·
I agree with the others. I'm going to get crucified for this, bit for your application a TTB would be fine, if you can/keep it aligned. You already have the parts, except for the 8 lug stuff. Since I drive a 79 now, and had no problem with my 88. I have no preference on the TTB vs SAS debate. If it was me, and I had most of the parts for one and none for the other. I'd go with the TTB. Others will come on and scream SAS from their rooftops, and some will say go with the TTB. this is just my $.02

Again, that is a fine looking piece of fab work you've got there. :thumbup

Oh,and welcome to FSB

#5 ·
HOLY SHIT! Is that what I think it is? A HMMWV body fabricated from scratch?!?! Jesus, it no only looks straight, but to specs too! Thats from someone that has been around them for 16 years. :)

Damn holms, post more pix pls? :rockon

#7 ·
Okay first off that is a BADAZZ machine you are building. OKay now to your question. For your application a ttb front end would be allright but if your going to as much work as you have all ready I would at least put a solid axle in. either coil spring or leaf it wouldn't matter either way. I think a good set of soft leaves on a hd d-44 or a 60 would teat you well. :thumbup

nice rig man :thumbup

#9 ·
I'm gonna say stay TTB. If you're keeping it on road you won't have any issues keeping it aligned. I know i didn't have any with mine with 35's until i started using it pretty hard. The TTB will be fine for you. Something to look into might be a leafsprung TTB D50 swap out of a 250 or a 350. You'll already have 8 lugs and a stronger axle and you can probably get the whole axle cheaper from a junkyard than the chevy outers to go 8 lug.

Justin

#10 ·
Thank's guy's now i'm getting somewhere
leafs are out of the question they will stick out the front by 8" look kind of funny
i'm leaning toward D60 for the 8 bolts hubs and also I need axles that have at least 69” flange wheels mounting dim’s (other reason I got the van) to make up for the 83” wide body

#11 ·
don't waste your time with the TTB. you've put way too much work into that thing to put a piece of shit underengineered suspension into it. and don't expect the ball joints or wheel bearings to last forever running 37s on D44 stuff. just get a 60 and do it right the first time.

#16 ·
If it were me (and we build some crazy shit at Corley Body Works) I would go find a wrecked F250/350 and swap the Hummer body on to that frame. The ONLY things to do would be swap elecs/wiring (easy) and body mounts.

But I have a few questions: Are you using the Hummer engine/tranny? Can you do engine elec swap stuff?

The swap onto a donor rig would be the simplest IMO.

We did a 61 Vette body onto a new frame w/ 2003 C5 suspension. Not cake but easier than starting from scratch.

Good fawking luck man. Keep us posted

#18 ·
Well if ya wanna get real fancy (and look even more like a hummer), look at a set of mercedes 404 portal axles. Those'd be hella cool under that, but might be a bit hard to come by for a price you're willing to pay.

Justin

#19 ·
Franklin said:
But I have a few questions: Are you using the Hummer engine/tranny? Can you do engine elec swap stuff?
no Hummer engine/tranny, i'm using the F150 frame,elecs/wiring, 5.8 E4OD out
of the 91 E250 van
body mount will have to be fabricated since Ford body mount are outside of the frame, the Hummer mounts need to be inside the frame
:beer

#20 ·
Hoxviii said:
Well if ya wanna get real fancy (and look even more like a hummer), look at a set of mercedes 404 portal axles. Those'd be hella cool under that, but might be a bit hard to come by for a price you're willing to pay.

Justin
yep make no sense :wacko paying more for axle that it cost me to make the body
:beer

#21 ·
H150 said:
InkDawg i got about 400hrs, i started late December 2003
it would have been quicker but i had to learn welding first ;)
Had to learn welding first !!!!!!!!!!!

Welll I guess you passed the test and the MIG is paid off in it's first job ! Nice freepin' work !

I won't touch the axle debate as I'm happy with my TTB, but then again I ain't a hardcore off-roader campared to most peopole here.

I will say, take the advice on finding an F-350. They really aren't that pricey as they age and most average Ford guys don't want them as they're too HD for their purposes.

It should have all the HD frame, suspension and drivetrain you're looking for. In addition you might beat emission with the extra GVRW weight break.

There are people out there who might even trade you straight up for your F-150.

Good luck, welcome here and keep up the stellar work !

Sixlitre

#22 ·
holy crap thats awesome :thumbup :thumbup

I have to agree with Andy & others, go right for the dana 60 front. Not only will you have a front-end that can easily handle those 37" tires, but youll also have much bigger brakes, which IMO is very important once you start to get to these big tire sizes. Plus, im sure that body isnt any lighter than the stock body, which is only gonna make you need all the stopping power you can get.
Beyond that, id go for the 60 just so you dont have the constant alignment/balljoint/wheel bearnig woes youre gonna have with 37s on the TTB front-end.

#23 ·
sweeet man, absolutely sweet. had to learn to weld first? id say you got it down pat. keep us posted

#25 ·
hi Guy's i thought i revived my old tread, I’m been pretty busy working on the interior of the truck , also I finish priming the frame
I discovered the Ford E250 van did not have a 10.5 rear axle but a Dana60 not big thing right? :confused:
I have reach a decision on axle after looking at all the treads at the SAS forum here, I will be staying with the TTB front and swamp out for 8 bolt rotors (Chevy parts)
My decision was made on the fact that I would have to used lift coil so the pumping would clear the engine “x”member. I’m not planning on wheeling with this thing so I should be ok, as recommended over here I’ll just kept an eye on the alignment and balls joint issues
As soon as the snow clear here I will be cleaning the suspensions parts (sandblasts is prohibited in the garage by my boss, the wife)so I can roll the darn thing in an out of the garage :toothless

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.