Now its being claimed we don't have a Mental Illness Problem and its GUNS! - Page 2 - Ford Bronco Forum
 156Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 11:45 AM

Bronco Info: 1986 XLT 302, AOD, 3.55 gears. 31" Tires
Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherneck View Post
think there is a gun problem now, try confiscating guns from law abiding citizens and see what happens!!!!
Well, technically if the law changed, anyone who was law-abiding would just take their guns to the buyback...

I tried sniffing coke, but the ice cubes kept getting stuck in my nose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 12:41 PM

Bronco Info: 1991 XLT/351w/E4OD/3" lift/4.56/33" tires/LS FR+RR
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmck View Post
The real problem is when they start claiming that wanting to own guns is a sign of mental illness itself.
I don't know if this statement was meant as a joke, but it's very true and at the heart of why we don't want banning guns for certain citizens to be subjective. Determining mental illness is very subjective... Look at what is happening with social media banning people because of political views. Certain social media outlets are getting so large, they can rival the government (almost acting as the government.. some day they might be an arm of the federal government). These President democrat candidates are showing the government's "cards" and we should all be worried but vigilant. And the media is aiding and abetting in all of this.... Who knows what the future will bring.

To combat the media... talk to others and spread truth... I have a co-worker who's traditionally a democrat voting gay 65-yo. Through a couple years of discussion about socio-politics and economics, I convinced him to vote for President Trump... We're on the same page now.
cobrajoe and SRWillis like this.

post #23 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 02:16 PM

Bronco Info: 1989 Eddie Bauer
So is there any solution to the mass shooting problem? Or is it even a problem? Good guy with a gun doesn't work if the good guy is not white. Good guy with a gun doesn't work unless he can be taken out is less than 32 seconds. If mental health is the problem the only solution is locking them up. But I don't think we have a objective definition of mental health. Heck, I have seen statements where membership in a particular political party means you are crazy.

I guess teaching our children combat preparedness and survival is the only solution.
Nickelplate likes this.
post #24 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 02:56 PM
Retired Staff

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/MassAir/E4OD/6" lift/4.56's/33x12.5 GYW DuraTracs
Garage
I read this today and it struck a chord with this thread.

It's NOT Guns, It's EVIL! Jim Jones killed 918 people with Kool-Aid!
Weber, cobrajoe, SRWillis and 2 others like this.
post #25 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 08:43 AM

Bronco Info: Still dreaming:Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by makersneat View Post
I don't know if this statement was meant as a joke, but it's very true and at the heart of why we don't want banning guns for certain citizens to be subjective. Determining mental illness is very subjective... Look at what is happening with social media banning people because of political views. Certain social media outlets are getting so large, they can rival the government (almost acting as the government.. some day they might be an arm of the federal government). These President democrat candidates are showing the government's "cards" and we should all be worried but vigilant. And the media is aiding and abetting in all of this.... Who knows what the future will bring.

To combat the media... talk to others and spread truth... I have a co-worker who's traditionally a democrat voting gay 65-yo. Through a couple years of discussion about socio-politics and economics, I convinced him to vote for President Trump... We're on the same page now.
No jokes about it. However, I can't bring myself to vote for either Republicans or Democrats, as they seem to be 2 sides of the same coin. I always vote Libertarian because I refuse to vote for the lesser of 2 evils.
BikerPepe` and dash_cam like this.

post #26 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 09:10 AM

Bronco Info: 1983 Bronco XLS, manual warn hubs, 4.9, 4-speed manual, 4-bbl, headers, factory air
Let's give the guns back and depend on our gov to protect us. Let's see how that works out.

Guns weren't jumping up by theirself and killing people when I was a kid. They still aren't.
Weber, cobrajoe and SRWillis like this.
post #27 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 02:58 PM

Bronco Info: (4)78/79 Bronco, 1979 F150 Supercab 4x4, 1977 F250 Highboy
In my opinion there isn't a real solution to the mass shootings until people, particularly the Left understand that the problem is more likely a multifaceted societal problem. I guess the easiest way to explain it in a word would be "entitlement:". I think a great deal of the opioid issue is similar in cause. It is simply too easy for people to sit back and let someone take care of them. Just a guess, but I bet the majority of junkies weren't homeless when they got hooked. It seems that whenever someone makes a bad choice they just cry and somebody comes running.
I'm not terribly cold hearted and I do realize that our children and other people do need help from time to time. Seems that too many parents don't know when to stop coddling and start parenting. My 4 year old grandson already has enough money saved up to buy his first bicycle. At that young age he has already begun to understand that if he really wants something then he needs to figure out a way to make it happen and that mommy and daddy aren't going to buy him everything. He has already started helping me load firewood and weed in the garden.
Hell, I just had a conversation with someone who is a well know local politician and two of her kids have been in jail. Why? because she just never said NO when they wanted something. No summer jobs to buy extra clothes, or spending money or money to pay for college.
I believe this puts our children at a very high risk of extreme disappointment when their immediate gratification needs are not met. They never really grow up emotionally because mommy and daddy never want them to be sad, feel left out, not as pretty as someone else, or not be as good of an athlete as somebody else. This whole "everybody gets a trophy for participating" is killing our society. The children just don't have the necessary coping mechanism or decision making abilities developed to allow them to function as responsible adults. Our insane leftist schooling practices right through college is destroying their ability to contribute to society by teaching them that no matter what, anything they do is OK and that it's society's responsibility to make them feel all warm and fuzzy and to support them once they graduate with their degree in lesbian dance theory or any one of the lunatic majors that the left has concocted. That isn't how the world works at least it doesn't work well or for very long with that mentality and we are seeing the fallout from that mentality in all of these mass shootings. People with out direction will seldom end up anywhere if their parents haven't provided them with a compass and the ability to use that compass.
I just saw where Illinois has passed a bill requiring all schools to teach History which includes the effects of LGBTA. What the hell is that? How is knowing that J. Edgar Hoover was a cross dresser going to help our children? Even if you don't believe in God the ten commandments are pretty legit way to keep a society from imploding.

Swamp
post #28 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 05:00 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: '94' XLT 5.8L E4OD M-T/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelplate View Post
Well, technically if the law changed, anyone who was law-abiding would just take their guns to the buyback...
A gun buyback program is one instituted to purchase privately owned firearms. The goal, when purchasing is done by the police, is to reduce the number of firearms owned by civilians, and provide a process whereby civilians can sell their privately owned firearms to the government without risk of prosecution. In most cases, the agents purchasing the guns are local police when purchasing firearms for the government. (above quote is from 'Gun Byback Program---Wikipedia')

2nd Amendment...(in my opinion) Trumps such actions of confiscating firearms

from the public, (with exceptions) De-arming the American public would

directly and indirectly remove checks and balances for gun ownership provided for, by our

founding Fathers...

I think I understand your thread but the govt.( Politicians speaking out of both sides of

their mouth who don't approve Bills unless they benefit from it.) There are a handful

who I wouldn't put in the above category... promise of 'Buyback' is gov. BS. and

skirting our rights and the KIA's, wounded, MIA's whose blood would fill 55 gal.

drums side by side from coast to coast. GOD Help US!

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us." George Orwell

" Drop the Gun Belt,"..."you don't leave a man a lot,"..."You Didn't bring a lot with you."

Matt Dillon GunSmoke Season 20 Episode 7 "The Iron Men"
post #29 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 09:55 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1996 Bronco 348 10.5.1 E7 Ported 88 Gt roller cam retarted 5 Shorty Headers 3" after cats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp View Post
In my opinion there isn't a real solution to the mass shootings until people, particularly the Left understand that the problem is more likely a multifaceted societal problem. I guess the easiest way to explain it in a word would be "entitlement:". I think a great deal of the opioid issue is similar in cause. It is simply too easy for people to sit back and let someone take care of them. Just a guess, but I bet the majority of junkies weren't homeless when they got hooked. It seems that whenever someone makes a bad choice they just cry and somebody comes running.
I'm not terribly cold hearted and I do realize that our children and other people do need help from time to time. Seems that too many parents don't know when to stop coddling and start parenting. My 4 year old grandson already has enough money saved up to buy his first bicycle. At that young age he has already begun to understand that if he really wants something then he needs to figure out a way to make it happen and that mommy and daddy aren't going to buy him everything. He has already started helping me load firewood and weed in the garden.
Hell, I just had a conversation with someone who is a well know local politician and two of her kids have been in jail. Why? because she just never said NO when they wanted something. No summer jobs to buy extra clothes, or spending money or money to pay for college.
I believe this puts our children at a very high risk of extreme disappointment when their immediate gratification needs are not met. They never really grow up emotionally because mommy and daddy never want them to be sad, feel left out, not as pretty as someone else, or not be as good of an athlete as somebody else. This whole "everybody gets a trophy for participating" is killing our society. The children just don't have the necessary coping mechanism or decision making abilities developed to allow them to function as responsible adults. Our insane leftist schooling practices right through college is destroying their ability to contribute to society by teaching them that no matter what, anything they do is OK and that it's society's responsibility to make them feel all warm and fuzzy and to support them once they graduate with their degree in lesbian dance theory or any one of the lunatic majors that the left has concocted. That isn't how the world works at least it doesn't work well or for very long with that mentality and we are seeing the fallout from that mentality in all of these mass shootings. People with out direction will seldom end up anywhere if their parents haven't provided them with a compass and the ability to use that compass.
I just saw where Illinois has passed a bill requiring all schools to teach History which includes the effects of LGBTA. What the hell is that? How is knowing that J. Edgar Hoover was a cross dresser going to help our children? Even if you don't believe in God the ten commandments are pretty legit way to keep a society from imploding.

Swamp
This is 100% right
post #30 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 01:05 AM

All I know is my pick axe, cane knife, pint of gas & empty bottle is just as deadly as an AR. Anyways why is it that "AR" rifles are always referred to as "assault" rifles? They are defensive "firearms" or sporting rifles. Law abiding citizens dont buy them to assault anyone, come on. We buy them because they're fun and for protection when needed and most of all WE CAN.
That said I lost all my firearms in an unfortunate boating accident in a big deep lake a couple years back so I guess I dont have anything to confiscate or "buy back" anyways.
cobrajoe, biggum and cdmck like this.
post #31 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 05:18 AM
Retired Staff

Garage
I have no issue with a gun buy-back program. Guns aren't for everybody.
Some folks that have 'em, shouldn't. Voluntary programs like this are fine with me.

VOLUNTARY. I repeat... VOLUNTARY.

Anything beyond that... "from my cold, dead fingers." comes to mind.

AR's? No... it's far beyond that. WA state now classifies my Chipmunk .22, that I've had since I was 8 yrs. old... as an "Assault Rifle".
I can't buy or sell one privately, without paying for a state ran background check w/fee.
I can't even gift one to my nephew without it... and he can't legally own it until he's 18 years old but still can't take it off "his" property or out of his home until he's 21.
And if that's not enough... if I'm somehow found with my guns improperly stored I will be committing a class C felony.
If my gun is stolen and used in a crime, I can be held legally liable for the damages resulting from said crime.

This is NOT a proposal, this is NOT hypothetical. This is current state law... WA STATE I-1639
post #32 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 06:16 AM
Ford-a-Holic

Bronco Info: 1996 Eddie-Bauer 5.8/1974 Bronco 351C
I have nothing against background checks, (we have had them here in MA for years), provided it stops there.
We also have to have a firearms license in MA.

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years

MY BUILD THREAD
post #33 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 07:30 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer
Garage
There is no new proposed law that would have stopped any of these shootings. Law abiding folks like us already know that it's already illegal to shot other people. So no new law changes that or affects that.
I had the same unfortunate boating accident. ...nuff said
BikerPepe`, Weber and leatherneck like this.
post #34 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 10:08 AM

I never quite understood the requirement to securely store your guns. You think the guy breaking into your house will allow the time for you to run the combination on the lock or to wait for the lock to read your fingerprints before it opens: if the batteries aren't dead that is? From what I can remember we have only had about 5 or 6 shootings within 100 miles of here in the 45 years. We have had many cases where a criminal was killed while entering a home or in a home by the home owner. In one case a 76 year old man shot and killed 3 and wounded the 4th while on the phone with 911 all the while telling them to stay out of his house. Guess they should have listened. As far as I know not one of them was prosecuted. From what I know the shooting that occurred outside of home invasions were by individuals who suffered from sort of metal illness that was triggered by an event like a divorce or something similar. Either way they may end taking the only gun I have left since they already know about it. Since I became a pacifist I sold all of my guns at the church rummage sale years ago when it was still legal.

Swamp
post #35 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 04:02 PM
Bronco Snob

Bronco Info: 1992 XLT 351W • E4OD • 4" lift • TRE flip • 225 amp 3G Alt • Saginaw P.S.• BBK Headers Bassani Y....
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerPepe` View Post
I have no issue with a gun buy-back program. Guns aren't for everybody.
Some folks that have 'em, shouldn't. Voluntary programs like this are fine with me.
Where does the money come from to buy back the guns? Taxpayers.
Where does the idea of Firearm buy back come from? Democrats.
A more appropriate term would be Firearm return Tax Credit because they are 'buying' back our guns at a discounted rate with taxpayer money. And those Democrats that implement these laws have an end game of having as few law abiding citizens armed as possible.

I'm sorry, I can't join you guys in the all politicians are bad bi-partisan altruistic group hug.
There are still some Republicans that stand up for individual rights, and limited government. I see no Democrats doing this at all, in fact they undermine the Constitution and rule of law at every chance they get.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a higher degree of both. - Milton Friedman -
post #36 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 06:08 AM
Retired Staff

Garage
points well taken, as usual.

as for the altruistic group hug... "some" isn't enough but I'll grant you the D vs. R point anyway.

I'd personally like to see every politician that doesn't support the Constitution be held accountable for violating the oath of office, where they specifically swear to uphold what they're trying to trash.
post #37 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 08:12 AM

Bronco Info: Still dreaming:Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerPepe` View Post
points well taken, as usual.

as for the altruistic group hug... "some" isn't enough but I'll grant you the D vs. R point anyway.

I'd personally like to see every politician that doesn't support the Constitution be held accountable for violating the oath of office, where they specifically swear to uphold what they're trying to trash.
If that was the case, 75% of Washington would probably be thrown in prison. Not that that's a bad thing, imo.
BikerPepe`, Rodan and SRWillis like this.

post #38 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 12:45 PM

Bronco Info: 1983 Bronco XLS, manual warn hubs, 4.9, 4-speed manual, 4-bbl, headers, factory air
I challenge any anti-gun activist to ask me why I carry.

I just point out the scars on my face. When a pyscho meth head attacks you with brass knuckles with the intent to kill, you'll quickly wish you had something to protect yourself.

I don't intend to be attacked like that again. Sadly, this is the world we live in now.
SRWillis likes this.
post #39 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 01:55 PM

buy back

I'm not sure what I think about a voluntary buy back. I do know they pay the owners pennies on the dollar which means less of my tax dollars being spent there. I feel bad for people who have inherited guns and don't know and aren't really interested in knowing. I have seen some videos where guys set up outside of the return area and offer cash to people. The cops were pissed, but apparently they had the right paperwork to be there and some were just standing by the truck of their car in the parking lot waiting for people to show up.
Before I became a pacifist I loved guns and shooting guns. I thought they were beautiful and useful tools. Every now and then I see some of the confiscated guns that are being sent out to be destroyed and it tugs at my heart strings. I just tell myself that I'm not like that anymore.
Swamp
RicoBronco likes this.
post #40 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 03:14 PM
Bronco Snob

Bronco Info: 1992 XLT 351W • E4OD • 4" lift • TRE flip • 225 amp 3G Alt • Saginaw P.S.• BBK Headers Bassani Y....
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp View Post
Before I became a pacifist I loved guns and shooting guns. I thought they were beautiful and useful tools. Every now and then I see some of the confiscated guns that are being sent out to be destroyed and it tugs at my heart strings. I just tell myself that I'm not like that anymore.
Swamp
Is it a requirement for card carrying pacifists to deny themselves a hobby? Why does owning a gun - or even firing a gun, automatically become equated with an act of violence?
White Dragon, cobrajoe and cdmck like this.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a higher degree of both. - Milton Friedman -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Other Forums > Anything Else > News, Politics and Special Interest

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode