• 1 Post By silver70
  • 1 Post By AFBronco235

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 91 Bronco w/ 5.0 L V8, Auto w/ E40D
Garage
Need some welder recomendations

Since I'm finally moving out of apartment living and into a house with a garage, I'm thinking about getting back into welding. I don't need much of a welder. Just enough to do some small things, so I'm looking for something cheap but usable. And since I'm renting, I'm working with a 115V limit with no chance of bumping that up. And since I'm cheap, a flux core welder would be ideal. Its also been about 10 years since I've worked with welders, so what's new in the welding world?

What would ya'll recommend?

1991 Bronco w/ 5.0L V8, Auto w/ E40D trans, factory spare tire rack, factory limited slip diff, dual batteries, custom air intake, 8K lb. winch, tactical seat covers, drop down TV w/ CD/DVD player, 31's on stock suspension, roof baskets, new injectors, rear bumper w/ tire rack, 33" Goodyear Wranglers, 2" suspension lift.

To Do List: paint,
My BKO build: Project Farmhand

Last edited by AFBronco235; 05-21-2019 at 09:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 12:31 AM
Eric

Bronco Info: '88 BKO XLT, 5.0, AOD, welded 8.8, carbon 4L10, 33's, Lightning headers, Saginaw, 3G
To keep it super simple I would say the Home Depot Lincoln welders. They carry many of the consumables in-store so you wouldn't have to worry about finding a weld shop if you were ever in a bind for wire, tips, nozzles, etc. Those welders used to carry a 3 year factory warranty. I've had my 140 for ~15 years. It's still going strong, fires up and pumps wire every time with no hiccups. Uses gas or flux core and stated capacity is 5/16". Runs off a 15/20A, 115v house circuit.

Personally, I'm a Miller man and that's what I use at the shop, but for around-the-house buzz boxes, the Lincoln stuff at Home Depot is just convenient. I can take the welder to other people's houses for projects and never have to worry about having a hard time finding consumables.

Just my $0.02.
BigBlue 94 likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 06:29 AM
Ford Hoarder

Bronco Info: See Signature
Agree with the above
Although I went with a Hobart, Rural King and TSC in this area has a good selection of repair parts.
The newer Harbor freight ones seem to be decent-er today too, I would very likely buy the protection plan if you go that route. They do have parts in store now too, surprisingly.

Also very similar thread, cept Pepe' has bigger power in his garage.
https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...-shopping.html

While not cheap per say, I think a welder on which you can run it on both 115 and 220/240 would be a good option, that way you have the extra power if you need it, or eventually move to somewhere that does have... I made a cord for mine that works off the oven outlet, as I once also rented house with no real power in garage. The few times I actually needed it, worked just fine even though kind of PITA.
Most of what I do the Hobart works just fine on 115v.

I have dreams of one day having a generator that has the big plug on it, so I can be 100% portable and weld anything.

Build Thread https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...8-project.html
Street Queen '92: 400hp/400ft-lb Roller 351W Built by Me, C6 Swap, 9" Swap, Corbeau Seats, Desert Bumpers, 4.10s, 33s
Sleeper Build '78: 2.5" Bypass Shocks, Deaver Springs, Full Roll Cage, Spool, 460, Hydro-Boost Brakes, Modded Duff Arms, Broader C6, Rust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 09:15 AM
Wild Cayuse

Bronco Info: 85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
Garage
My Miller will run gas shielding or flux core and on 110v or 220v. It's a millermatic 211 or something. It is more expensive, but a really nice welder. It takes the standard tips and wire that can be bought about anywhere.

Also had a Hobart that was similar, though only 220v that was good too. Just not as expensive or quite as nice.

Vote for Full-size Of The Month in January, March, May,
July, and September!

FOTM forum section
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 91 Bronco w/ 5.0 L V8, Auto w/ E40D
Garage
Thanks for the advice and the links. The other thread helped me out a lot. I actually do wish I had a dedicated 220 outlet available so I could get a stick welder. (The laundry room dryer plug is just inside the garage door to the house, but my wife might have something to say about me using it.) I haven't welded in a long time, but my grandfather was an excellent teacher. I would be nice to know I can do heavier steel if I needed to, but that can come later once I have an actual shop built

I'm actually looking at the Hobart Handler 100 now. Its sold at Tractor Supply Co. which is nice since they have a store a block from the house I'm moving into so parts are easily available. Its small, light weight and easy to use, according to every review I've seen. Since Farmhand is meant to be an all around farm rig, it makes sense to stay semi-portable. Plus I had to promise to do all welding outside so I don't burn down the house, so being able to lug it outside will be nice. I was honestly already planning on that, for the same reasons. I already have a heavy duty extension cord, courtesy of my father in law who gave it to me when he was cleaning out his garage so getting it outside won't be a problem. Plus its cheap.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...0?cm_vc=-10005
Anybody here use it before?
BigBlue 94 likes this.

1991 Bronco w/ 5.0L V8, Auto w/ E40D trans, factory spare tire rack, factory limited slip diff, dual batteries, custom air intake, 8K lb. winch, tactical seat covers, drop down TV w/ CD/DVD player, 31's on stock suspension, roof baskets, new injectors, rear bumper w/ tire rack, 33" Goodyear Wranglers, 2" suspension lift.

To Do List: paint,
My BKO build: Project Farmhand
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:51 AM
ate lug

Bronco Info: 88 Bronco/96 Bronco/96 F250
Garage
Hobart is owned by Miller, which is owned by ITW. Cant go wrong with Hobart or Miller.

Lincoln does make good stick welders, and their rod for them is good stuff too.

As long as you dont plan on welding 1/4" a lot, that welder will work just fine.

88bronco: web / FSB || 96 bronco: web / FSB || 96 F250: web / FSB
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 11:48 AM
Wild Cayuse

Bronco Info: 85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
Garage
My Hobart was from TSC and was the handler 140 or 160 and was great. It was the 220v though. Their spool gun for aluminum isn't as nice as the Miller version I have. But that's not what your are asking about lol.

Vote for Full-size Of The Month in January, March, May,
July, and September!

FOTM forum section
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 06:14 AM

Bronco Info: 89' Ford Bronco 5.0 AOD trans.
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver70 View Post
To keep it super simple I would say the Home Depot Lincoln welders. They carry many of the consumables in-store so you wouldn't have to worry about finding a weld shop if you were ever in a bind for wire, tips, nozzles, etc. Those welders used to carry a 3 year factory warranty. I've had my 140 for ~15 years. It's still going strong, fires up and pumps wire every time with no hiccups. Uses gas or flux core and stated capacity is 5/16". Runs off a 15/20A, 115v house circuit.

Personally, I'm a Miller man and that's what I use at the shop, but for around-the-house buzz boxes, the Lincoln stuff at Home Depot is just convenient. I can take the welder to other people's houses for projects and never have to worry about having a hard time finding consumables.

Just my $0.02.
I agree with silver70. I have a 10y/o Lincoln HD100 flux core (non gas) and I love this thing. It's been all over N.Y. from job sites to family and friends projects. I welded as thin as 20ga. and as thick 1/4" with good penetration. I've welded thicker but didn't penetrate well. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Fabrication, Tools, Equipment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode