Navy Nukes multi use go fast driver build. - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 82 Bronco
Navy Nukes multi use go fast driver build.

So I bought an 82 Bronco to use as a 4x4 and a tow vehicle this last summer.

$1,400 bucks as it sat, with working AC.

302, C6, 9 inch, tow package etc.

Then I had planned on lifting it, cut and turned beams and what not, but being a full time student again, money was short.

So I took it out and played with it a few times stock, just fixing minor maintance issues because it is 28 years old

then swapped in some suspension seats

Lift got a jumpstart about a month ago, I sold my Baja Bug that I never was able to take out, right when this showed up on Craigslist

1500 came with these bumpers

a Ranch 4 inch lift with SS brake lines and superlift leafs, 4.10 gears, ARB lockers front and rear, and one of those summit racing cages

So far I swapped over the rear suspension, that was pretty cut and dry. Unhook brakes and ARB line, unbolt axle, pull axle clean it, pull leafs, hardest part was replacing the bushings on my shackles, bolt it back together

New leafs under my 82

clean 8.8 with ARB and 4.10 guts

back on the ground ala stink bug look

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 12:42 PM

Bronco Info: 92 shortbox shortcab, 35x14.5 pitbull growlers, 6" cut and turn beam setup.
looks great, how high you plan on going? in the next monthish ill be starting my front end teardown so ill be watching you if youve started before me :P

'92 blacked out pickemup truck
post #3 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

The fun part is swapping the front end over

So I began by removing the wheels, springs, and brake calipers from the donor truck

Then used lots of penetrating fluid so I could actually unbolt the front end

have I mentioned I LOVE working in the dirt because after the lift the bronco won't fit into the carport.

So this front end already had the spring mod done to the midshaft, but the cap came loose.

I had the U-joint pulled, gonna tack weld the cap in today, just gotta source some new spicer joints for the axle. More pics as I work on it, but juggling 4 upper level college classes online takes a fair amount of my time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Spent another 2 hours on it today.

Cleaned up and tacked the washer into the slipjoint today

I'm not the best welder, but this will hold, I tapped on it pretty good with a punch to make sure

pulled and cleaned up the radius arm brackets, just gonna swap over the ones from the parts truck since they were already cut off

I pulled the steering box off the parts bronco, just in case, it is filthy but should be ok as a spare if I need it later. Then pulled the parts bronco off the jackstands as I won't be under it again, so it is now only on blocks.

After placing mine on jackstands I began unbolting my front end, so far all I've pulled are the brake lines, front driveshaft and sprayed the snot outta the other bolts with PB blaster to get them more easily motivated to come off.

I found a new pet as well, he was hiding under some plywood I was using to slide around on the ground

ahhh the joys of the desert, everything here likes to bite.
post #5 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 07:31 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 76 highboy 12v, 89 f250 4x4, 2010 ford fusion
i dunno how you can even think of working in those rocks. it would drive me nuts!

[ndurst] 9:41 pm: his thing is in my colum
[will721] 8:11 pm: then your just a white guy who likes watermelon
[jfritts] 9:15 pm: that seems like a lot of tube in a small space
[boggin] 9:51 pm: im back.. now my asshole is sore
my build thread
post #6 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

lets call it lack of options, and after working in bilges in the navy, nothing is that bad, not even 100 plus heat that is right around the corner here.
post #7 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 76 highboy 12v, 89 f250 4x4, 2010 ford fusion
well damn. build is looking good though :up:

[ndurst] 9:41 pm: his thing is in my colum
[will721] 8:11 pm: then your just a white guy who likes watermelon
[jfritts] 9:15 pm: that seems like a lot of tube in a small space
[boggin] 9:51 pm: im back.. now my asshole is sore
my build thread
post #8 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 09:14 PM

Bronco Info: 91 5.8, e4od, 6" on 35's,
where did you get the new seats from? How comfortable are they?
post #9 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 12:51 AM

Bronco Info: 1995 5.8 E4OD. Rancho 4in.Ext. Radius Arms. 35x12.5 BFG Muds. Resi Shocks
Looking good bro. If it were me I'd support the truck by the front frame rails but it looks as though you don't have a long enough set of stands so oh well.
post #10 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

I don't have a long enough set of jack stands for the front frame, otherwise i would.

The seats are from a Joyner something or other, and I plan to replace them when I get the money for some better quality seats, but for 100 bucks for the pair, and they bolt up to the stock brackets with 2 holes drilled I couldn't beat them.
post #11 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 03:11 AM

Bronco Info: 92 shortbox shortcab, 35x14.5 pitbull growlers, 6" cut and turn beam setup.
good progress bud. i know watcha mean about the working outdoors thing. you got desert i got bushes and shrubs. did my shackle flip in grass/mud/rain had to set up a tarp in the trees to keep dry one day lol.

what shock/coil setup are you going for?

post #12 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

for a while I'll run the Rancho RS9000 shocks that were on the truck, they have the in cab adjuster setup, but I don't plan to setup the airlines for them. Later I'll go with some bilsteins.

I have two sets of coils, one set of Rancho coils, and another gray set I got a while ago that I am going to try first, hoping they are softer than the rancho's are known to be.
post #13 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

got the front end pulled out today

just gotta clean up the frame, cut the stock radius arm brackets off, and then slap a good coat of paint on to preserve it.

Rolled a pair of 35s like I'm planning to run up to it too, just for mock-up purposes

post #14 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 09:59 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 95 Bronco XL-302/E40D
I would trade working in the dust/dirt/rocks for vehicles that rust free....I guess there is an advantage to the weather being hot all the time.

I'll be watching this one......And that was a KILLER deal on the parts truck!!!!!!!!

95 Bronco XL. 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJREX View Post
No matter how much it's washed, it's still a butt HOLE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfun41 View Post
just wanted to see if any pictures of women came up while i had it in.

WANTED: Sterling aftermarket diff cover, install kit, 3/4 Chevy Calipers, 4.88 gears, 1350 yoke.
post #15 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 01:13 AM

wow quick work, looks good!

im opting for the bilstein 5125s but cant remember if it was them that i heard about leaking issues..? they can be had for 103 a shock up here.

and please do post with any tips when pulling/reinstalling beams, would be much helpful. i have a haynes manual but they make it sound so easy :)

post #16 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 02:04 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 82 bronco 408w 4" lift 35's, 88 bronco 351w all stock on 31s
So wait, you swapped from a 9" to an C clip 8.8? ....better hang on to that 9" so you can swap it back when you get tired of breaking shafts, and having tires fall off.

-Ryan

Check out my youtube page. Many bronco videos.
http://www.youtube.com/user/rhauf1
post #17 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

Yes I'm keeping the 9", gonna save money to match gears and lock it, then put it back in. deal on the parts truck makes running the 8.8 ok for a while. being a student I don't have the money to get everything I want, so this gets me tons closer than waiting and buying parts new.

Front clip removal was a PIA.

Easy part was to unbolt/remove shocks, brake lines, axle vent, front driveshaft, then unbolt the upper spring bracket, and lower spring nut.

the trick on the lower spring nut, is drop a 1 1/8 deep socket in from the top, then put the ratchet on it after the socket is in the hole, should come loose without too much fight and remove the spring and pads.

After that, comes the fun part.

Soak EVERYTHING with penetrant for a day or more, then pull the 1 1/8 bolts off the radius arms, then the two pivot bolts on the crossmember.

after that, I used a crow bar to assist the beams from coming out of the grooves they are in. Not a ton of help was needed, just had to help gravity out a bit.

then lift/slide forward to get the radius arms out of the holes they are in. The neighbor helped with this, as the threads were wanting to hang up on the brackets.

Now sit down have a beer or too and celebrate the work.

also I started about 3 weeks ago I think, just didn't post anything up about it.

good luck, now comes the clean/paint/reassemble part of the work.
post #18 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

did some more work today, dosn't look like much, but man I'm glad I had earplugs. My arms have lots of little red spots though, probably shoulda worn long sleeves.

I cut off the rivets for the stock radius arm brackets so I can move them back for the rancho long arms.

Then cleaned and hit the passenger side with rust converter before I seal it up tomorrow with some good ol rustolium.

Had to cut off a bracket on the drivers side that took a bit of work, then a few more rivets for the Rancho brackets, got to the last one, and I'm stuck, got the head off the rivet, but can't punch it out yet.

unless someone has a better idea, I'm gonna take a drill to it tomorrow. I tried a ballpien hammer, a punch, air chisel etc.

all that time holding up the angle grinder with the wirewheel and cutoff wheels on it has my arms sore, I'm gonna sleep good tonight. I got to play extra long today because I got up and got a lot of homework done early today, lets hope I can continue this trend.
post #19 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 03:13 AM
OMG its almost a

Bronco Info: 1990 XLT, 351, and a bunch more
For those rivets you can just cut an X in them with the grinder and then punch em out easy with the pneumatic chisel! Looking good man. I'm finally starting my SAS and got my front cross-member mounted today! Keep up the good work!

post #20 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 03:43 AM

i had one rivet on my rear leaf hangar that was a bitch. head cut off, hangar off, so it was stickin out a bit. one poor swing of the hammer and it lodged itself in the frame.. took some heat and a punch and the hammer to get it out. it will come out!!!!!!

good work tho and appreciate the tips.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > BroncoSpeed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode