Transmission issue - Ford Bronco Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By miesk5
  • 1 Post By birch
  • 1 Post By birch
  • 1 Post By birch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 87 408w long travel king shocks deaver springs, cut and turned DRe 96 front end trailer glass,+++
Transmission issue

I have put a 408 in my 87 replacing my 302. I have a built AOD in it that went within 10 miles of installation. I am wondering what I should do for this. Rebuild the AOD, replace it with ?. It is about 550 torque. There is debris in that looks like clutch materiel and it will not shift up from 2nd and seems to start slipping. Good rebuilder in so cal or? and makers of good ones is help too. Thanks I am frustrated about it.

Its my Constitutional right
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 03:36 PM

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
Garage
Yo Birch,
To get this train rolling...
How about a ZF S5-42 Swap from AOD in an 88?
Source: by 88rustsurvivor (monster) at https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...lock-pics.html

S5-42 & S5-45 specs @ ZF S5-42, S5-47 Transmission Specs & Ratios

Or a built C6?
LVSteve likes this.

See my partially recovered Bronco web site. Thanks to Mr. Schwim!
Navy & DoD (retired) ... THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
Please Participate & VOTE in our Full-Size of the Month (F.O.T.M.) & Full-Size of the Year (F.O.T.Y.) Contests[/B] @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/27-f-o-t-m-voting/
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 87 408w long travel king shocks deaver springs, cut and turned DRe 96 front end trailer glass,+++
Miesk5
Not very familiar with the S5-42 or S5-55 but will look into it. The C6 I have thought of they can be a good option but loose overdrive. I live in So. Commiefornia OC and travel out of the area on off road trips sometimes AZ, NV, inland, and Baja and the river boating etc.. I like OD but ?.
What I have seen is good and bad aspects of them all. I am concerned something with switching from 87 302 to 95 408 had something to cause this with the time it failed without time or pushing it hard at all and so few miles. It is a built trans with a lot of debris creating immediately after. It could be coincidence but would hate for it to happen again right away. I am also curious about an electronic with its own computer box being good or bad. Thanks for the input these last upgrades have taken time and I miss my burrow bra it is rough in my little 2wd stock Mazda/Ranger 4 banger standard cab only.
miesk5 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:51 PM

If your current Tranny is toast rebuild it with quality parts, a matching converter and a good cooler, add a good valve-body. There is NO advantage to going to a C6 which is 40 year old technology and really not any stronger than a well built E4OD.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:52 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1996 EB, 351w, stock-ish. 1981 custom 351m, long gone.
Garage
I will admit I have no first hand experience, but you can get an e4od with a standalone controller.

What do you mean by "built"? And how recently?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:16 AM

Bronco Info: 95 XLT Sport 96 427w/e4od obd II Long tube's Solo stage 4 with Kings 35's & 4.88 Turetracs. RWHP/TQ
At 550TQ you will be braking alot of parts, I sure have. I have started to detune my combo
A well built trans and matching converter will set you back $3500 or more. The GFB stuff in the Cal dez will take a special build

PS is your dyno posted ?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 05:36 PM

Who did the original build? I just noticed it was an AOD and not the AODE.

Pretty much same thing happend to us. We put in out built 351 and got a new converter to match the cam.
However the converter was not the correct part number and the internal splines did not match for the lockup on the input shaft and it proceeded to destroy itself and our transmission on startup. The fluid was all pretty and had lots of shiny glitter!!!

My son needed to get it rolling for work so we found a low mileage tranny from the junkyard to get by until the rebuild.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

LVSteve Got it rebuilt by Art Car crossing fingers on it taking it. No dyno is not.
LVSteve likes this.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

race4food Originally built by Monster Trans 7 years ago. Just had Art Carr rebuild it.
LVSteve likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > BroncoSpeed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode