Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

CrazyBRONCOguy's '78 project

317K views 1K replies 50 participants last post by  bearfoot_25 
#1 · (Edited)
Picture

EDIT: There is a huge gap in time between this post and the next. I lost several photos and will likely not put them back. But that is ok, its like a TV show this way, where all the sudden its done ( well they are never done but further )
The truck went from being a cheap $1200 project to having a ton more in it then that (dont they all). Been working on it solidly since 2012 now. Hopefully you can bear with me on the hug gap in the dates on this thread.

Warning This build thread may also contain pics of other random Ford stuff as well as progress being made on a 1992 Bronco.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Truck took many changes over time. Somewhere between the post above and below it looked like this, it still does but the suspension is now extremely different.

#4 · (Edited)
@jermil01, They are just ProComp Street locks with a little John Deere Yellow Detail work done on them. They do look like real ones though, kind of, they do in these pictures at least.
Just for comparison the rear wheels that my paddles are on are real beadlock wheels, the are MRW's but the raceline steelies look just like em (MRW is not longer in business)

EDIT, Really need to get that set shaved down a bit and get back on the Sand with this truck

#5 · (Edited)
For the first diversion, I also have a 2017 Mustang GT with a few goodies on it. Such as a Roush TVS 2.3L blower and some needed parts to cope with the extra power.

Took trip up to Michigan for The Lane Automotive Car Show. Was a good time, good free show.

Just for size wise I was car #617 and I registered a week or two ahead of time

#6 ·
The "Street" truck is back in the garage for a trans swap

Got the drive shafts, shifter, and transfer case out last night. Fluids came out of the modulator, and it was kinda brown instead of red. Not good situation for having less then 100 miles on that fluid....

#7 ·
Out with the old

Also going to use this adapter as so I can bolt up my BW1356 down the road. The other older adapter that I have does not have all the mounts it only has the front most one.

#8 · (Edited)
Adapter got all cleaned up and is bolted on the back of the new trans.

Thinking about making it so I can extend the vent on this, but maybe not worth effort as truck should never see mud/water.
In process of changing out the motor mounts now

#9 · (Edited)
Got a stuff done this weekend while not at work.
First up installed set of Solo Engine mounts. Un like the JBG ones these do not change the engine height at all, Install was easy enough since trans out.

Then prepped new Broader 2000 Stall convertor for install

***** Performance Wide Ratio C6 going in with the above convertor. Noticed the extra strap, do not trust the POS chain on the harbor freight trans jack...

Attached to engine and held up with a strap for now. I have a C6 mount from an older bronco to put in, but in the process of cleaning it up still.

Also took the 78 to the local drive in spot on Saturday, "The Suds" was a good night for it.

#11 ·
Transfer case is back in.
Adjusted both the tcase linkage and the shifter location to fit better then when they where originally installed. Also hooked up the modulator line and the trans fluid cooler lines.
Have some trans fluids on the way, looking to have this back on the road over this up coming weekend. Did not get any pics.

#12 ·
Got some goodies from Desolate Tonight for the 92

:thumbup, I really like the gusset work and the Uniballs should work awesome.

#13 ·
Finished up the c6 install on the 92 last night should be able to put fluid in it tonight and see how it acts over the weekend.

Got some Of this to put in it

Also my H58's came in for the 78

#14 ·
Have everything to swap in the H58's into the 78 now.
Going to be using this kit from ruffstuff that I have used before with good results.
https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/9SS3-BIG.html
I may likely move some things around on the 92 to put my old H57's in it. They are similar but not exact matches to J40s, for example the front side of the springs is shorter on the 78/79 vs the ttb era bronco packs.

Reactions: quinault
#15 · (Edited)
So the C6 in the 92 is messed up again, or was never right from the builder. Has always been slow to engage reverse and now it fails to up shift when in drive. It will do it manually.
I am aware of checking the vacuum signal to the modulator. I think this one has a messed up valve body. So going to try and clean up the one from the other trans and put it in this one, its a Broader Performance one which I am sure is not really hurt just may have junk in it from the trans which came apart.

EDIT: To clearlify the valve body form my other trans is a Broader piece that I am really happy with, this new trans is not from them (though likely it should of been)

#17 · (Edited)
Well Animal Performance gets a fail from me.
They do have a 1 year warranty on their stuff however don't really seem to interested in helping you out after the fact. Looks like I am on my own to fix this. So the warranty is not worth anything. Will update if they make it right... For a little more info I order this on Black Friday of 2017, I did not receive it until April 21st 2018, so that is not helping them any for me.

I now have a new valve body from Broader coming as I am fairly confident that the boost valve is sticking in the animal one. Worst case I'll have an extra for a 79 f-250 that I have that will eventually get the 460 out of the 78 Bronco put in it. Like norm mentioned governor is next on my list.

Still gathering parts for the 78, I got a Afco reamer the other day to install the trac bar stud. Its nice.

#18 · (Edited)
Yeah I likely should have tried to use a shop closer, but not what happened. Just have to move forward. I do believe all the hard parts are there that I was supposed to get, and it does work in 1st and 2nd. Just has an issue somewhere else.
I did not think it would be but the modulator is not the issue, swapped it for another extra I had laying around last night (known good). I think the transfer case is coming off tonight so I can check out the governor. Not sure if tail housing adapter will have to come off to replace it or not.
Thanks for the words of wisdom if you will on this Norm. This one is just the Revenger series but its also only behind an around 400hp SBF, a good stock one should be able to take that, with a good valve body. Its another reason I am surprised to be having these issues. C6 is not known as a complicated trans either.

Somewhat related, I finished up the install of a new trans cooler last night.

9"x11"x2" (thick) core about double what I had on there previously.

Just to add some more info for anyone else looking, Animal Performance left at least 1 bolt lose on the valve body, and also did not use the correct length bolt on the servo either as it was not tight against the servo cover. The kickdown linkage I feel was also installed incorrect and as such broke when I went to move the gear selector for the first time. I could have bumped this during install, but I have never had one get in a bind from that. Usually they just end up not hitting the kickdown pin on the inside of trans. I feel that maybe this is broken/bent now internally and keeping the trans in a "floored" state. Though when I had pan off I was able to cycle it what I thought was completely.

#19 · (Edited)
Fun with C6 stuff
The shop needed a vacuum reading from the line feeding the modulator. This was less then I thought it might be, but still acceptable

If you didn't know a C6 has a line pressure port on the front drive side in front of the band adjuster. They needed this reading too

I replaced the modulator with a new black stripe one adjusted a couple turns in from fully loosened. I now have it shifting in drive. Still has near stock style shift firmness and also is slow to apply reverse. I think all of these issues are in the valve body, either leaky or sticking valves. I verified the governor works by shifting to 1st way before I should have (again good suggestion on this though Norm) It responded by not shifting until road speed was down, just like it is suppose to. So I am happy to not have to pull tcase again.
With the trans working finally took it for a drive
Really like the seat placement with the corbeau brackets, they put them a little lower which works perfect for me, easy enough to raise them a bit too if you need to

also cleaned it up when I got home.

Edit: with these issues resolved should be back on the 78 this weekend to swap the leaf springs.

Reactions: quinault
#20 · (Edited)
I agree good shop, His manual valve body you can ditch the governor and the modulator valve too. Like you said true manual.

Since waiting on my valve body had time to mess with the 78.
H57 vs H58 Deaver Springs

h57's

H58's, I am not sure why it looks like it is so tall in the rear in this pic, it is just like below.

Little better picture

From my measurements I ended up about 2" to 2 1/2" higher in the rear then I was. I put the stock block back in as so I could move it around yard. From before that was about 1/2" of lift with the wedge. With the wedge out I should end up with 1/2" rake with all my gear in the truck, 1" in normal street things in it. They should settle a bit after some use so I think I am about perfect now, turned out exactly how I wanted :thumbup

#21 · (Edited)
Ruffstuff sent me the wrong axle kit so 78 is on hold until I get the correct parts
Also just a pic from the other night at full droop

#22 ·
Got good amount of stuff done tonight. First Up took the rear axle out of the 78 and cleaned off the perches, never again will I weld a set over the stock ones, what a PITA. Its ready to be indexed now though.

Suppose to have the perches tomorrow. RuffStuff though they messed up my order took care of it very quickly, no complaints from me for them. Will continue to buy their stuff :thumbup I also re-did the spacers on my rear disc brake kit, turns out it was pulling the caliper too far inward causing issues. It should work great now.
Since I am waiting on parts for that, and my valve body came I decided to take the one out of 1992's C6 from Animal Performance. Cannot recommend that shop, I have got no support and keep finding issues :doh0715:. Like this

That's a valve body bolt, nice attention to detail :rofl: That is the 3rd bolt I have found messed up. One of the others was a starter bolt hole, and also servo cover bolt hole.
So I get their valve body out, look at this POS

I don't know much but I have literally never seen one this crappy looking. The plunger thingy (technical term) is very sticky, so who knows what else is messed up. The c6 which I blew up, the valve body was nicer in
For comparison this is the one I got from Broader, that will hopefully fix a lot of my issues.

Waiting until tomorrow to install that as doing some homework on what the aftermarket parts should look like that Animal supposedly installed. :whiteflag
The broader valve body the things which I can move, move very freely no issues.

#23 · (Edited)
Broader Valve body, completely different trans now. Appears that it does everything correctly now.
Still need to fine tune the modulator but that is no big deal.
Still in contact with Animal, though its been a week and they still have not got back to me. I am going to send them the bill for the Broader valve body :goodfinge

#24 · (Edited)
Re-indexed and welded on new perches over this weekend. Set the pinion angle and such. Much happier with no wedge. Drove it a bit without the traction bar and the ruffstuff perches help out a bunch with wheel hop. Bar is back on now though

Like I mention I ended up 1/2" rake, or the rear is 1/2" high now. :thumbup
Lot better then 2" lower.
Still need to paint some parts but I like to try it before doing that as so easier to make changes if need be.

Also swapped out the gas tank straps with new ones from JBG, they are wider, new vs old

Then I made an aluminum plate to mount this PRP bag to my console. Should work great. The bag has straps the secure it down, so you can un click them and take the whole thing with you. For example when I take the top n doors off.

#25 ·
Trans cooler and fittings and stuff came for the 92. I think this one will be more then big enough.

Also refreshed my Amsoil Supply

Reactions: Frkndave
#26 ·
Got my trans cooler installed. Its a tight fit. Just for a size reference the fan is 10"

Fits in here really well though, considering how big it is.

Also made a new sticker.

Need a couple of fittings to go from hard line to the braided #8's. Then just need to hook up the electrical stuff for the fan and should be good to go :thumbup

#27 ·
Got everything all hooked up and plumbed up. Order the wrong sending unit for my gauge but the right one is on the way. You can see the air gap. Still going to add some extra vents to the skid though too.

Also I put the filter in such a place as it can be changed without dropping the skid too.