CrazyBRONCOguy's '78 project - Page 11 - Ford Bronco Forum
 597Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #201 of 237 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 09:17 AM
The Tennessee Warden

Bronco Info: 96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, 6" lift, 4.56 gears, 35" GY MT/Rs, front locker, rear LSD, rear disc conversion
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBRONCOguy View Post
Sand wheeling is very unique. Takes its own special set of techniques and if you really want to have fun its own unique setup. Mine is likely more setup for this then anything else, which is kind of silly being where I am in the state of Indiana, but at the same time oh well.
I'll definitely second this - sand wheeling is way different. My rig is set up mostly for crawling, so the soft springs are tricky to get the hang of when going more than 25-30 in the sand. It's easy to bottom out in some of the dips - which happened a couple of times. Either way, it was a lot of fun, and it was cool to learn a little more about a new (to me) kind of wheeling.

I'm looking forward to seeing the vids you got on those GoPro's you had mounted!
CrazyBRONCOguy likes this.

MS88Bronc
Don't be fooled by the name,
1996 XL - 5.8L/E4OD/BW1356/4.56s

Sept 2019 FOTM

-->My Build Thread<--
***GO NOMINATE AND VOTE FOR FULLSIZE OF THE MONTH HERE!!***
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #202 of 237 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Bronco Info: See Signature
Seats are squeaky, lol.

Also installed some new parts on the f250. NOS grille, bezels, and lower turn/parking lights. Then I waxed and sealed them all so they should stay good for a long time. Really like this look.

May do nos headlights but I don't mind the 1 piece clear ones either. They don't leave that ugly gap at the side like stock ones do.
BikerPepe` likes this.

Build Thread https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...8-project.html
Street Queen '92: 400hp/400ft-lb Roller 351W Built by Me, C6 Swap, 9" Swap, Corbeau Seats, Desert Bumpers, 4.10s, 33s
Sleeper Build '78: 2.5" Bypass Shocks, Deaver Springs, Full Roll Cage, Spool, 460, Hydro-Boost Brakes, Modded Duff Arms, Broader C6, Rust
post #203 of 237 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Also got this pic, It has watermark as its from supplier website. https://dunepics.smugmug.com/
I will have real ones soon, this is my favorite one

Street Queen '92: 400hp/400ft-lb Roller 351W Built by Me, C6 Swap, 9" Swap, Corbeau Seats, Desert Bumpers, 4.10s, 33s
Sleeper Build '78: 2.5" Bypass Shocks, Deaver Springs, Full Roll Cage, Spool, 460, Hydro-Boost Brakes, Modded Duff Arms, Broader C6, Rust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #204 of 237 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 10:22 PM

Bronco Info: 90' 351/E40D 38" tires, 4.88 gears, full float 8.8, lockers F&R
Really cool video! I would like to go there some time. Is there no order there at all? Like when you charge up a hill, your flag is the only warning someone coming up the other side has? Seems kind of crowded for no rules. Are there some common sense rules people are given upon entering the area?
post #205 of 237 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by helirich View Post
Really cool video! I would like to go there some time. Is there no order there at all? Like when you charge up a hill, your flag is the only warning someone coming up the other side has? Seems kind of crowded for no rules. Are there some common sense rules people are given upon entering the area?
There are directional areas where the tallest hills are, so they are one way.
You do have to run a flag as well, which helps with visibility. Steering wheel it goes up front, bars it goes out back
Other then that, you need stickers, seat belts, roll bar if glass roof (or helmets), and for the exhaust to be under 98db and that's it pretty much.

I grew up out there with my father behind the wheel of a buggy so maybe I am used to the "organized Chaos" that is Silver Lake and don't think its as bad as it is. People do hit each other, people do flip their stuff, people do get life lined out of there in helicopters. All part of the fun to me. Crazy is trying to ride an ATV or dirtbike when its even busier then in my vids.

Also thanks.

post #206 of 237 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

New trans cooler and AN lines on the way for the F-250. No issues with current setup just putting bigger cooler in place and replacing nipple and clamp connections with nice AN style stuff.
The engine swap is on hold on the 78, Mustang trans decided that 5th gear was no longer happy. It is under warranty however the dealer is being hard to work with so I ended up pulling it myself.

post #207 of 237 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

well that was fun
Back to the 78 this weekend. First off will need to replace a front turn signal bulb socket that got messed up, and also change the oil as to see what it looks like after 2 trips to the dunes.

Last edited by CrazyBRONCOguy; 08-26-2019 at 07:12 AM.
post #208 of 237 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 09:53 PM

Awesome work
CrazyBRONCOguy likes this.
post #209 of 237 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Getting to the 78, slowly, in the meantime...
First went to local cruise in

got asked to join a Mustang/Ford club while was there.
Pulled my old remote cooler off the f-250 and put one of these big ones in its place. Going to put the old smaller one on the 78, up front somewhere as a first pass cooler for the C6 going into that.
Here is new cooler on f-250. I have had good luck with these and this is the 3rd one that I have.

Also added Sat radio to the truck, really needs amp power and a sub but I dont drive it enough to justify it. All the wires are ran under the carpet. Try to always make stuff removable on this one since its so clean. The CB radio was there when I got the truck.

78 likely will be going into the garage This weekend. Getting excited to finally maybe get some real power into that one. Trans and convertor swap is first, then engine swap.
Doosenberry likes this.

post #210 of 237 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Didn't make it in over the weekend but the 78 is back in the garage now.
First up is swapping in this

Broader 750hp rated Wide Ratio C6. I also have a 2300 stall convertor, from Broader that will be going in at the same time.
Decided to swap trans, make sure its good, then will be 429 swap time.
With the way this truck is setup the only thing I'll end up doing twice is the engine to trans bolts and also the flexplate nuts. Not a big deal to me. I also wanted to really see the differance between the 2 engines.

post #211 of 237 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Slowly working on things. Fixed the light socket that failed at the dunes.
Also added this small cooler for the power steering. Easy enough as I just mounted it to the mud shield. Maybe overkill but I figured would not hurt to have something. I had just been running a length of hose

I did start taking few things off to swap the trans also, busy week at work so not much time at home.
BikerPepe` and youngDUMP like this.

post #212 of 237 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Finished bleeding the power steering system last night. Looks like all that is working good. Didn't take nearly as long this time.
Still slowly getting some more parts around for the trans swap. Decided to add a 2nd cooler to my trans loop, slightly infront of the radiator. Even though I was not going to earlier. I think it may/will need it. May try and do a temp sensitive bypass deal for the front cooler.
Derale makes brackets for their coolers. So I was able to save about $100 re-using that one I pulled out of the f-250 in a previous post. Even with also getting the fittings to switch it from hose barb to -8AN line.

Finally got the mustag squared away too, had to get a custom tune made for the gforce gear set in the new mt-82.

Last edited by CrazyBRONCOguy; 09-19-2019 at 06:34 AM.
post #213 of 237 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

New soft top on the way for the 78 from soft topper.
The rampage one has been decent, will be nice to have the one actually made for this Bronco though.

post #214 of 237 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Front mounted trans cooler installed. Will run the lines when the broader trans goes in. Will be easy as just using -8an braided lines.

post #215 of 237 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Trimmed up the front trans cooler mount so it looks a bit better now, should not mess with the air flow to radiator as much either.
got distracted and Spent the rest of the night filling in holes from my Rampage soft top install... Soft topper going back on in its place. I also ground the welds smooth and painted the top area.
Likely do some more cage work before the top goes on the Bronco. Should start on trans removal this evening.

post #216 of 237 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Progress, and also need to do some cleaning before goes back in. Should have the old trans out tonight.

The exhuast and bunch of other stuff is out of the way too.

Painted area which I filled in all the self tapping screw holes as well

Not back to factory stock, but certainly good enough for my 78.

post #217 of 237 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Out with the old

post #218 of 237 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 09:12 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1978 XLT Ranger
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBRONCOguy View Post
Out with the old

Did you look at the 6r80? Thatís what I am going to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

post #219 of 237 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathmobile2 View Post
Did you look at the 6r80? Thatís what I am going to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I did look breifly, not cost effective given the main use of this truck. It would give more gearing options, but the C6 works for what I use it for too.
No Overdrive is just fine for me.

post #220 of 237 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Few things cleaned up and ready for re-install, well after quick coat of paint.
Thinking about welding the trans mont to the crossmember in 4 places just for a little extra peace of mind.

It was kind of cool to see the stamped in ford logo and part number come out the dirt and grime that had collected since 78 and 79 on these parts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode