CrazyBRONCOguy's '78 project - Page 12 - Ford Bronco Forum
 594Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #221 of 236 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 09:19 AM

Bronco Info: 79 V8 C6/205
Personally i'd throw that crossmember away and make your own.

I built one when i put the long radius arms on and it was pretty simple.

I used some energy suspension urethane bushings on the ends at the frame in some DOM and made a couple easy mounts that are welded at the frame.

The crossmember is just some 1/4" wall square tube that the upper mount fits over and just has a drilled hole for the bolt to pass through.

I am still using the side mount on the T-case at the frame.

New set-up frees up tons of space and is way simpler/user friendly when wrenching. Also doesn't hold tons of crap anymore like the original
CrazyBRONCOguy likes this.

.http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26328&dateline=121233  5329
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #222 of 236 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Bronco Info: See Signature
I am in agreement that, the stock one eats up a ton of space, in a spot where you typically have a bunch of stuff going threw... A kit like this
https://www.tmrcustoms.com/axle-driv...ssmember-mount
Would make quick work of it, I would need to add some tabs and such for brake lines and a front driveshaft loop but no big deal. Not that it has to be kit either just something I came across is all.

I will consider that suggestion for ditching the stock piece. Though it might have to go back in, for the short term due to time constraints to get that truck moving again.

Thanks
BikerPepe` likes this.

Build Thread https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...8-project.html
Street Queen '92: 400hp/400ft-lb Roller 351W Built by Me, C6 Swap, 9" Swap, Corbeau Seats, Desert Bumpers, 4.10s, 33s
Sleeper Build '78: 2.5" Bypass Shocks, Deaver Springs, Full Roll Cage, Spool, 460, Hydro-Boost Brakes, Modded Duff Arms, Broader C6, Rust
post #223 of 236 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Fresh paint should be dry and ready for install tomorrow.

Usually goes together easier then comes apart on this truck, for some reason

Street Queen '92: 400hp/400ft-lb Roller 351W Built by Me, C6 Swap, 9" Swap, Corbeau Seats, Desert Bumpers, 4.10s, 33s
Sleeper Build '78: 2.5" Bypass Shocks, Deaver Springs, Full Roll Cage, Spool, 460, Hydro-Boost Brakes, Modded Duff Arms, Broader C6, Rust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #224 of 236 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Broader trans now bolted to engine, and in the truck.
Still have to install tcase, and a bunch of small things, but its getting there

Don't mind the scratched up pan, its coming off for the aluminum moroso off the old c6
d_rock likes this.

post #225 of 236 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

The 205 is ready for install tomorrow

cleaned up, re-sealed and painted.

post #226 of 236 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Transfer case installed. Now just have the small things left such as:
Drive Shafts
Drive Shaft Loops
Starter
Inspection cover
Run new transmission cooler lines
New trans fluid
New filter
Shift linkage

Should be moving on its own by end of this weekend.
BikerPepe`, youngDUMP and d_rock like this.

post #227 of 236 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 11:21 AM

Bronco Info: '78 Bronco XLT - Buck the Truck
sweet! did you rebuild the TC too or just pull and paint it?

Owner of Buck the Truck. My Build Page
post #228 of 236 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by newageroman View Post
sweet! did you rebuild the TC too or just pull and paint it?
New gaskets/seals, I did take it apart for inspection and I did not see anything worth messing with. All bearings and such still in really good shape.
Worth noting that the trans I was using I am fairly sure was rebuilt at least once, it would not surprise me if tcase was too. The parts truck they came out of even had anti-sieze on the rear shock bolts, while thats a small thing, surprising to find. I feel like whom ever had it that did that, likely did decent work on everything else.... It has always shifted oddly nice for being from a '79

post #229 of 236 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 04:26 PM

Bronco Info: '78 Bronco XLT - Buck the Truck
I'm debating pulling my spare TC/trans off the spare motor to rework it or have it reworked over the winter. When we opened it up, there was some rust on some of the gears, I'm wondering if it would be a lost cause or not. Most likely will be sometime next year though.

After the fun I had removing tank bolts, I'm putting antisieze on everything I may touch in the future... Hopefully that will make the next owner not cuss as much on my other fixes...

Owner of Buck the Truck. My Build Page
post #230 of 236 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

My expeierience says it should be ok if just cleaned up. Worst case it makes a little extra noise from the pit marks, but if your trucks a bit louder like mine, I doubt you hear it much and even if you did, at least you know what it is.

Starter installed, inspection cover installed, new starter wire ran. I used 1/0 guage car audio cable for it this time in prep for the higher compression 429 that will end up in the 78 soon (hopefully). Had to order some fittings and 15' of AN line for to finish up the trans coolers and a new set of remflex collector gaskets. Should have those items tomorrow.

In a case of a bit of mission creep I have decided to move my spare from standing upright on the passenger side rear to sitting on the floor somewhat slightly towards the driver side.
Here is as it sits today

Doing this maybe just for something different, but I think it will better center the weight, especially when the gas cans are on the back bumper (they are on the pass. side). I also like the idea of being able to do a shelve on top of the tire, much like Desolate has on their shop truck's rear setup.
BikerPepe` likes this.

Last edited by CrazyBRONCOguy; 10-10-2019 at 07:10 AM.
post #231 of 236 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 07:36 AM

Bronco Info: 78 Bronco 351M/NP435/NP205 - Holley Sniper - Hedman Headers - MT Classic 3's - 35" MT Deegan 38s
Garage
Hey, you can never go too big on a starter cable. I have 2/0 battery and starter cables on my stock 302 in my F100. I just never wanted to have to worry about resistance. I noticed a huge increase in starter cranking speed once I swapped out the old, relatively tiny, cables. They were melted from over-cranking as well, which I'm sure didn't help anything.

77 F100 Custom SWB - 302/C4 2wd ~ My Daily Driver
78 Bronco Custom T/S - 351M/NP205/NP435 4wd ~ For Fun
75 F150 Custom LWB - 460/C6 2wd ~ Deceased
post #232 of 236 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Agree especially on off road trucks where stuff happens and you end up having to re-fire it sitting in mud, hot engine, etc...
I have already swapped in a PMGR sytle starter as well from LEB, that has thus far proven to be a good piece.

post #233 of 236 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 08:13 AM

Bronco Info: 78 Bronco 351M/NP435/NP205 - Holley Sniper - Hedman Headers - MT Classic 3's - 35" MT Deegan 38s
Garage
What kind of compression is the 429 going to have? The starter I have off my old 460 is a PMGR as well and I'll be sure to use it again whenever I manage to get another 460 built as it worked great, but for the 9.6:1 compression that my old 460 had it was probably overkill. I used to have a Powermaster PMGR starter and I think that one was advertised as being good for up to 12:1 compression or something like that. Actually, if the PMGR starter off my 460 will fit my 351M I'd consider putting that on my Bronco for a little more clearance under the headers.

77 F100 Custom SWB - 302/C4 2wd ~ My Daily Driver
78 Bronco Custom T/S - 351M/NP205/NP435 4wd ~ For Fun
75 F150 Custom LWB - 460/C6 2wd ~ Deceased
post #234 of 236 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

10.3:1

It should fit. The one on mine is advertised as fitting the 5.8, 400, and 429 & 460.

post #235 of 236 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Slow day on truck...
Shifter bracket installed on trans
Just got done sand balsting the t-case lever
Pulled the moroso alum pan off the old trans
Kind of stuck for now until get some parts. No pics needed today pretty basic stuff. I did cut down an old kickdown bracket to act as a washer on the trans. There is an o-ring seal on a C6 right there so you somewhat have to use the kick down piece. Since running a console shifter and a performance valvebody, I have not had it hooked up to the carb since I have owned the truck.
Don't know what ford used to make those, but it wasn't just mild steel.

post #236 of 236 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

AN hose and conections work great, be hard for me to use much else. Made new lines from trans to front cooler, then from that cooler back to the rear cooler, lines I had made previously. Knowing I may add another cooler I had added in a couple unions earlier so this was easy to do. I also had those in place if/when I wanted to move the trans temp probe around.

-8AN right from trans out threw out the whole thing

Then swapped pans, broader stamp of approval

Nicer pan cleaned up a bit and on the new trans

Also notice the blue gasket, that is from moroso and works fantastic, best one I have used for the C6.
BikerPepe` and MS88Bronc like this.

Last edited by CrazyBRONCOguy; Yesterday at 11:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode