CrazyBRONCOguy's '78 project - Page 2 - Ford Bronco Forum
 597Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 238 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Bronco Info: See Signature
Ruffstuff sent me the wrong axle kit so 78 is on hold until I get the correct parts
Also just a pic from the other night at full droop

Build Thread https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...8-project.html
Street Queen '92: 400hp/400ft-lb Roller 351W Built by Me, C6 Swap, 9" Swap, Corbeau Seats, Desert Bumpers, 4.10s, 33s
Sleeper Build '78: 2.5" Bypass Shocks, Deaver Springs, Full Roll Cage, Spool, 460, Hydro-Boost Brakes, Modded Duff Arms, Broader C6, Rust

Last edited by CrazyBRONCOguy; 06-26-2018 at 07:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 238 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Got good amount of stuff done tonight. First Up took the rear axle out of the 78 and cleaned off the perches, never again will I weld a set over the stock ones, what a PITA. Its ready to be indexed now though.

Suppose to have the perches tomorrow. RuffStuff though they messed up my order took care of it very quickly, no complaints from me for them. Will continue to buy their stuff I also re-did the spacers on my rear disc brake kit, turns out it was pulling the caliper too far inward causing issues. It should work great now.
Since I am waiting on parts for that, and my valve body came I decided to take the one out of 1992's C6 from Animal Performance. Cannot recommend that shop, I have got no support and keep finding issues . Like this

That's a valve body bolt, nice attention to detail That is the 3rd bolt I have found messed up. One of the others was a starter bolt hole, and also servo cover bolt hole.
So I get their valve body out, look at this POS

I don't know much but I have literally never seen one this crappy looking. The plunger thingy (technical term) is very sticky, so who knows what else is messed up. The c6 which I blew up, the valve body was nicer in
For comparison this is the one I got from Broader, that will hopefully fix a lot of my issues.

Waiting until tomorrow to install that as doing some homework on what the aftermarket parts should look like that Animal supposedly installed.
The broader valve body the things which I can move, move very freely no issues.

Street Queen '92: 400hp/400ft-lb Roller 351W Built by Me, C6 Swap, 9" Swap, Corbeau Seats, Desert Bumpers, 4.10s, 33s
Sleeper Build '78: 2.5" Bypass Shocks, Deaver Springs, Full Roll Cage, Spool, 460, Hydro-Boost Brakes, Modded Duff Arms, Broader C6, Rust
post #23 of 238 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Broader Valve body, completely different trans now. Appears that it does everything correctly now.
Still need to fine tune the modulator but that is no big deal.
Still in contact with Animal, though its been a week and they still have not got back to me. I am going to send them the bill for the Broader valve body
Hillbilly Heaven likes this.

Last edited by CrazyBRONCOguy; 06-29-2018 at 08:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 238 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Re-indexed and welded on new perches over this weekend. Set the pinion angle and such. Much happier with no wedge. Drove it a bit without the traction bar and the ruffstuff perches help out a bunch with wheel hop. Bar is back on now though

Like I mention I ended up 1/2" rake, or the rear is 1/2" high now.
Lot better then 2" lower.
Still need to paint some parts but I like to try it before doing that as so easier to make changes if need be.

Also swapped out the gas tank straps with new ones from JBG, they are wider, new vs old

Then I made an aluminum plate to mount this PRP bag to my console. Should work great. The bag has straps the secure it down, so you can un click them and take the whole thing with you. For example when I take the top n doors off.
Hillbilly Heaven and MACE like this.

Last edited by CrazyBRONCOguy; 07-01-2018 at 06:16 PM.
post #25 of 238 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Trans cooler and fittings and stuff came for the 92. I think this one will be more then big enough.

Also refreshed my Amsoil Supply

post #26 of 238 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Got my trans cooler installed. Its a tight fit. Just for a size reference the fan is 10"

Fits in here really well though, considering how big it is.

Also made a new sticker.

Need a couple of fittings to go from hard line to the braided #8's. Then just need to hook up the electrical stuff for the fan and should be good to go

post #27 of 238 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Got everything all hooked up and plumbed up. Order the wrong sending unit for my gauge but the right one is on the way. You can see the air gap. Still going to add some extra vents to the skid though too.

Also I put the filter in such a place as it can be changed without dropping the skid too.

post #28 of 238 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Desolate skid plate came in today. Its nice. I also got the sending unit I needed

Couple ratchet straps along the tank seam to hold it up while taking the skid off, I also cleaned it up and painted it. I see a new tank in my future.

Install was as easy as the stock skid, very nice fit. Had to clearance it some on the front for my brake line. Also trimmed the passenger side to clear the exhaust, most will not have that issue but the 4" tail pipe on mine requires some extra effort. Even trimmed a bit its still a lot stiffer then the stock skid.

Re-installed the front valance and took it for a road trip. Trans temps are much better now, and a none issue now, That Derale cooler works great.

Finally get to start driving this thing again, been far too long, 3 or 4 years I think.
BikerPepe` likes this.

Last edited by CrazyBRONCOguy; 07-11-2018 at 10:22 PM.
post #29 of 238 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

I agree, way too beefy for my needs of the 92. I'd like one like that in the 78 but I also think the price point is a little silly without being made for a fuel cell.
I like the direction of their idea with that one though.

Also picked up one of these and have been using it awhile. https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-...ump-64241.html

I have the Yellow Daytona one from HF as well, this one is almost the same. Pad is little smaller, support gussets are not quite as big. But it is lower and also goes a little higher. I like the quick foot pedal. Works great on the car, which the yellow one just a little too tall to go under the front of.
ANGELO likes this.

post #30 of 238 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Pulled one of the rear shafts yesterday to verify some measurements.

The splines look surprisingly good considering that they have been in a spool for 4 or 5 years. These are Yukon shafts, I am fairly pleased with them.

Ordered new Front door glass from LMC for the 92, My existing ones have been all scratched up for as long as I have owned the truck. Be nice to be able to see out of them.

EDIT Moser will have my stuff ready before the end of this week, so that will be good.

Last edited by CrazyBRONCOguy; 07-16-2018 at 01:25 PM.
post #31 of 238 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Update on Trans: Put little over 100 miles on that C6 I was having issues with. Valve body seems to have been the main issue, no more weirdness from it, Shifts like a performance oriented valve body should. Sometimes get a little harsher down shift when coming up to stop, but not a big deal, at least not concerning to me unless it changes. That big cooler made all the difference on the trans temps.
The 78 will very likely be getting the same one once it gets a higher stall convertor and good trans put in. I am likely to put that one up on/in my toolbox in the back of the truck, as so mud won't cake it full. Should also keep from adding extra heat to the radiator too. I have seen a couple of Dodge trucks at work with them at front of bed, hidden behind a toolbox, looked like nice clean way to do it.

Moser has my axle goodies done, should be headed up that way on Monday to pick that stuff up.

post #32 of 238 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

New steering wheel came in for the '92. Still waiting on the adapter.

Nothing special really, just a Grant. It is fake suede which I like. Its not a nice as the Alcantara wheel in the mustang, but its close and I wont feel bad when it gets dirty, which is bound to happen the way the Bronco gets used.
BikerPepe` likes this.

post #33 of 238 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Couple hours and side window glass is swapped.
stock on left LMC on right, slightly different tint (darker), but real close.

I took out the wings too, this made it easy to swap main glass

This is the LMC glass next to stock front wing, very close. I am happy with them.

If you are doing this yourself, no need to pull window motor. Worst part is putting the rail onto the new glass. Some hammer action is needed. I used a plastic mallet that I have. I should have had the glass tinted before I put them in, but no big deal tint guy can do it either way. Likely will get 30% so slightly lighter then the side glass on the topper.
BikerPepe` likes this.

post #34 of 238 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by helirich View Post
So did you replace the glass just because of scratches? My glass looks terrible.
That is correct, I still have old ones I guess I'll keep as spares. Maybe Ill find an cheap truck with broken window or something I don't know. My old ones have been scratched since I have owned the truck, look way different now with clean glass, was well worth it I think. Mine where catch nail in it deep, which I have read you can polish out, but I am betting that would take longer then the time I spent just swapping glass.

Fun trip to Moser in Portland today, hopefully get these goodies installed in the 78 soon

post #35 of 238 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Should start on the steering wheel install on the 92 tonight, with that done that truck will be basically where I want it until this winter. So the 78 will be getting most of my Attention the rest of this year.
First up for that is installing the above into the rear.

post #36 of 238 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

These grant parts made this pretty simple.

To get to this point, I just used a puller. Yes the stock bolt holes stripped out. Luckily I was able to drill and re-tap them to something bigger. Easy enough. Though one side did end up breaking, it did come off too.
With the billet adapter all you gotta do is take the piece off the bottom of the stock wheel and install it on the grant adapter. Electrical connection for horn plugs right in, just like stock.

it also covers up the column nicely I thought.
The final product. I like it

BikerPepe` and reptillikus like this.

post #37 of 238 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Thanks
The Adapter GRT-5275, The wheel I picked GRT-694 however any 5 bolt Grant wheel will fit.
Also see this thread https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...t-you-got.html has good info on what you need if your dealing with airbag column. More or less to use the adapter I did you have to switch everything in column over to older none airbag stuff. That is just couple screws here and there though, very easy.

EDIT: I forgot I pulled my other axle back out to re-coat it. I ended up doing mini truss on 44 in bronco that this one was made for. However I think this will likely end up in the front of a 79 f-250 I have. 8 Lug outers to match rear. Its over done on the top now I should go in and make it thinner as to gain up travel. Its one of reasons why I didn't use it in 78
BikerPepe` likes this.

Last edited by CrazyBRONCOguy; 07-26-2018 at 09:47 AM.
post #38 of 238 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

So I did find an issue on my Grant wheel install. The base of the billet adapter is not machined fully to sit flush. What happens is the horn wiring connector will make the wheel tip up at the top. I had to remove my wheel again to correct this. I simply machined out the extra material and works great now. I originally removed it again because the trim ring was hitting the plastic shroud on the column making annoying noises. I also trimmed that up a bit. So with that fix it works like it should now. While you should not have to do these things, I think id still buy the kit again its 95% right and that's decently good. LOL.... Now I get to pull it off again as I got it 1 tooth off so the wheel is not straight.
I also took the stupid grant sticker off the horn button, looks much better all black. It would have fallen off soon enough anyways so not gonna miss it.

post #39 of 238 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by helirich View Post
Steering wheel looks great! Is it a little smaller? Does it feel good for distance from the seat? Or is that not changed?

Boy the truss looks a bit overdone. LOL.
Thanks... I think it is 1/2" to 3/4" smaller (or that's how it feels), it is so different that it is just different maybe too, In a good way. The "specs" say it is 13.75" in diameter. Its dish shape makes it look smaller then it is as well. I also changed the seats so I may not be best one to judge the distance, as its totally different... It does feel near the same as before though to me, before being same Corbeau seats with stock wheel. I am pleased with how it turned out, both in function and how it looks.
I would have no issues swapping the wheel with same kit on another truck.

The truss is too tall on the top, if that was just 1/2" or so over the diff. I think It would be more then fine. Basically 1/4 of what it is now. I didn't really get what I wanted done . I'll fix it eventually. I do think the knuckle would break off before the housing would now

post #40 of 238 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly Heaven View Post
Wasn't this truss originally suppose to be like what Moss runs?
Correct, the bottom is more or less a straight up copy of theirs. I think the bottom is more then good.
It is heavier then you might think. I am not disagree-ing with anyone there. Or that it is just wasteful from a weight to gain aspect. I can/will cut it off though, Eventually...
also cannot really mirror the bottom, at least not if you want to use 78/79 Wedge style radius arms, and keep the coil mount on the arm instead of the axle.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode