CrazyBRONCOguy's '78 project - Page 3 - Ford Bronco Forum
 597Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 238 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Bronco Info: See Signature
The shock mounts are the coil buckets are not, though could be. One of the reason why I did not weld that stuff straight to the frame. You are likely thinking of the BroncoAir Coil over mounts which I have, that I have not yet done anything with.

I agree on trac bar mount, assuming you also do a flip with the drag link to top of knuckle. One of the reasons I did not move it was to keep them in line to minimize bump steer at speeds I hope to be running.

I also think you could go with coil bucket on the truss too, But seems like a lot of work for not just going to coil overs. I would only truss the bottom if I was gonna do this one again, much more work then that I think is just a waste for still be left with a Dana 44. I Will use this one on something since I have it, but if the Sleeved and trussed housing in the 78 right now breaks I am going straight to newer radius arm Super Duty stuff. This was also my though when I did the brakes, as the hydroboost set I now run will support the bigger brakes on said axles.
All in what you want though too, everyone has their own wants/needs/style/use.
Hillbilly Heaven likes this.

Build Thread https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...8-project.html
Street Queen '92: 400hp/400ft-lb Roller 351W Built by Me, C6 Swap, 9" Swap, Corbeau Seats, Desert Bumpers, 4.10s, 33s
Sleeper Build '78: 2.5" Bypass Shocks, Deaver Springs, Full Roll Cage, Spool, 460, Hydro-Boost Brakes, Modded Duff Arms, Broader C6, Rust

Last edited by CrazyBRONCOguy; 07-27-2018 at 02:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 238 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

See, I think looks much better, just black horn button.

The reason why I went to effort of changing out the glass.
35% Tint Brow, Door Glass, and Rear Glass

Going to polish up the 18's and put those back on also. I am pleased with the Grabber AT's though too. I still have not found a 3 way switch I like to T in the transmission temp sensors. Gonna keep looking. May go to the NSRA show in Louisville, I am sure I could find something there.

Been driving it more, I in no way build this to get fuel economy however I checked it for a laugh and I am getting 12mpg, not too horrible and approaching good enough to daily it, at least in the non Salt months.

Street Queen '92: 400hp/400ft-lb Roller 351W Built by Me, C6 Swap, 9" Swap, Corbeau Seats, Desert Bumpers, 4.10s, 33s
Sleeper Build '78: 2.5" Bypass Shocks, Deaver Springs, Full Roll Cage, Spool, 460, Hydro-Boost Brakes, Modded Duff Arms, Broader C6, Rust
post #43 of 238 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

I don't know if I care enough to do that, Id honestly be happy to just drive it enough to say that would actually matter. Thus far 1200 miles in 4 years is not. Like I said I checked it for a laugh. I do know of the gauge which you are talking about though. I have a handheld one I could do that with, just Velcro it to floor or something for temp. Thanks for suggestion though

I like the tint, turned out good. Guy that did it said he hasn't done Bronco in over 10 years.

I also re-centered the steering wheel, again I think its ok this time

Last edited by CrazyBRONCOguy; 07-30-2018 at 08:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 238 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Participant Stickers from 4wheel Drive Jamboree's. I do not think they are in the way, but they have been there a long time too, I may just be used to them.
https://www.4wheeljamboree.com/
The other side has just as many Michigan State Park stickers.

post #45 of 238 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Got some more goodies from Desolate today. They cut me out a new front skid out of some aluminum. The air holes where supposed to be on bottom to keep stuff out of my trans cooler.

I also got their tie rod set and drop pitman arm. It was raining so I started painting up the parts for the suspension. Their tierod set is on the right side of this pic

Painted so far: Threat under bed rear shock mount, Threat Extended Rear Shackles, Threat Heim Mounts for radius arms at frame side, AutoFab center pivot boxes, Threat Coil Over Support Cross bar (over the engine), Desolate rear axle shock mount brackets.

Last edited by CrazyBRONCOguy; 08-01-2018 at 08:56 AM.
post #46 of 238 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

New skid plate Is noticeable going down the road. I was not having cooling issues with either the trans or engine but the vents helped both a small amount.
I have 3 trans temp probes installed in the system right now. 1 at trans out and the other 2 are for the second cooler in/out, like so.

I use these fittings https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-670353/overview/ and these senders https://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm-2259

Driving it more, Drove it to work today.

post #47 of 238 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Finishing some odds n ends.
Pulley spacer my Dad made for me for lower crank pulley on the '92. I did just have washers on it (not the best situation)

Got some more parts painted up, Radius arms and Coil over buckets.

All that I have left is the TTB arms themselves.
Have yet to really get back on the 78

post #48 of 238 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Last couple of things left to paint

Last edited by CrazyBRONCOguy; 08-22-2018 at 06:45 AM.
post #49 of 238 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

little over 300 miles on the C6 I was having issues with earlier in this thread. The broader valve body completely fixed it.
I recommend to anyone to do the E4OD 1st and 2nd gear set.. I am surprised at the difference this 1 change has made in the way the truck drives.
Back on the 78 this weekend, the 92 is basically done. May have it at the dunes before the end of this year.

post #50 of 238 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

3 way switch for the trans temps works great, (its the one closest to radio) I now can look at both cooler out and trans out while going down the road.

Right now I am running around 150-170 F trans out most of the time and less then 100 at the coolers exit (it doesn't read on gauge). I have verified it is working though by artificially raising its temp.
Also got the last 2 parts for the 92's suspension painted up

Did start on the 78 but did not get any pics.

Last edited by CrazyBRONCOguy; 08-22-2018 at 06:46 AM.
post #51 of 238 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Moser machined these to fit my disc rotors like so. I like this better then just locating on the studs, though never had an issue with them like that either.

The yukons have held up very well, considering full spool and 35, driven on the street regularly.
Comparison between 31 spline Yukons and the 35 Spline Moser's

post #52 of 238 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by helirich View Post
I didn't go back through the thread, is that a exploder disc? How was it before, just a flat end on the axle? Do they have a recommendation on max tire size for that axle?
The flange which locates the rotor in the middle, is much smaller on the stock replacement shafts. So the center OD was increased (or not machined as far in this case). Its not an explorer rotor, I would have to go back and find the part number, I do not recall what I used.
Not sure on max tire size, I did not ask as it is all kind of relative to every thing else on the truck (power, weight, expected abuse, etc). However I have seen 40"+ on 35 spline shafts in a 9" with no issues, with a good center section, full spool, and braced housing.
I am sure I will be just fine with my 35s, but I really got them to have some extra insurance when I hang the 21.50 wide paddles on the back. Also Since I got the 3rd member and bearings at the same time, it was the same money to go 35 as it was 33 or 31 spline.

post #53 of 238 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Did some part swapping tonight.
Here you can get a good idea of the differences between the stock and Moser piece

Need to paint it but I like to do these in place as I think easier. I might try to clear it instead as I like the raw look

Shafts and brakes all back in, went together just like stock, was happy I spent extra time on my measurements.

Will finish up with some fresh gear oil and putting the pinion guard and drive shaft back in tomorrow.

post #54 of 238 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Agree especially in that picture for whatever reason.
I was surprised how good of shape the old 3rd member was. Backlash still checked the same, pattern still looks good. Some wear on the teeth but not horrible.

Looking at doing semi door/seat bars in the 78 next. Some thing along this lines, with ease of entry being a priority over an actually shoulder or door bar.

Will also be adding in some braces for the sides in the back, another dash bar, and likely a few other things too.

post #55 of 238 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

All good points, Hillbilly Heaven
In the 78 there is a rocker bar, I have the seats mounted to this as well (would look like a # from above) So the added "seat" bar will be attached in that manner, from the rocker bar up to somewhere on the main hoop behind seats. I agree on going further up for the shoulder, but ease of entry maybe different on that car the picture is from. I also want to run brace from where ever the shoulder bar is to the a lower point on the rear bar. This will support the main hoop better and also the seat bar. I do not currently have enough front to back support, at least not in my opinion. I will try to get pictures from sides and maybe some paint doodles too, of what I am thinking.
Though this is close, I stole this from the go-fast website. If the red bars went up higher, then had another support from that to the Diagnal brace, with a gusset between them.

Another reason I want to do a lower dash or "knee" bar is it will give me a good spot to build a new center console from eventually, once I get a few more things sorted out. I also thought be good spot for phone houlster and maybe some other stuff, like a Sat. Radio player thingy.
Will likely make more sense with newer pictures of the current setup. What I have is close, just not done yet to what I think I will be doing with the truck once the new engine goes in. These things are why that engine is not in it yet too.

Last edited by CrazyBRONCOguy; 08-14-2018 at 02:12 PM.
post #56 of 238 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

I know this is not a bronco but,

I was looking at doing this in the Newer bronco. I think its about as good as you can get and still get to the back, from the front.

post #57 of 238 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

I agree on the wrap around style. Though the main reason was I like the adjustment not having them on tabs allows. Especially not know what seats I my run eventually.
Turns out getting picture of current setup is harder then I thought.

The side seat bar I want to not be further then the front seat mount bar. At least not much further. Dash bar will likely run under neat column, under the dash. more room there then I was thinking.

Finished up painting and filled with lube last night, quick spin and no issues. Might not believe me but appears that the old set of axles were twisting, compared to these on corners on pavement. These you cannot hear the tires load and unload like the 31 spline axles did a little. Likely I am only one that would notice this, on this truck.

Last edited by CrazyBRONCOguy; 08-15-2018 at 07:25 AM.
post #58 of 238 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Agree on knee bar, Going to tie the bottom dash lip into it I think. Keep the whole dash from moving around, not that 78/79's have that issue. I don't actually think it will be super noticeable or in the way once done. From what I quickly looked at will not be too bad on this truck to do the knee bar, the column is more or less all the way into the dash there, so will not take much if any working around it.
Like I mentioned end goal is to also be able to make a nice transition to a center console, with cable twin stick shifter, my winters shifter, and other things I have not decided on yet.

I am likely to go buy some PVC and play with it some to see where I want things. Lot cheaper and quicker to mess with to get the basic shape down.

Last edited by CrazyBRONCOguy; 08-15-2018 at 01:36 PM.
post #59 of 238 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

need more lights

post #60 of 238 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Figured some stuff out tonight.
Where lower dash bar, or knee bar is gonna go

Its gonna have some interlocking tube clamps as so I can take it out. The whole cage is a bolt in so not taking the easy way out there.
Seat bar will either be straight simple tube like so

Or like this on here

Then Going to connect all these bars in the back together with one about even with the bed rail. You can see the rear most tubes which go out and grab the bed sides, imagine this one going all the way to main hoop.

Also got the satellite radio hooked up in the garage so that is nice to have. Kind of funny as do not even have that in the house.
BikerPepe` likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode