CrazyBRONCOguy's '78 project - Page 4 - Ford Bronco Forum
 597Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 238 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Bronco Info: See Signature
Thanks, it used to be better but a lot of the pics went away.

Another couple trips to work and back home and the gears should be good and broke in. First time putting any real time on the road in normal driving in the 78, since everything has been "done" and very pleased with how its doing. Its road manners are very much improved with the Duff Arms, Hydroboost brakes, fox stabilizer, and a good shock at every corner. The H58's have also settled just a bit and the truck sit almost perfectly level now.

Last nights work consisted of finally getting the correct set of core support bushings and hardware installed. Before it was more or less just a solid mount.

Yes the bumper brace bar is very much so in the way of doing this, but there is just enough room if you get everything just right.
ANGELO likes this.

Build Thread https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...8-project.html
Street Queen '92: 400hp/400ft-lb Roller 351W Built by Me, C6 Swap, 9" Swap, Corbeau Seats, Desert Bumpers, 4.10s, 33s
Sleeper Build '78: 2.5" Bypass Shocks, Deaver Springs, Full Roll Cage, Spool, 460, Hydro-Boost Brakes, Modded Duff Arms, Broader C6, Rust

Last edited by CrazyBRONCOguy; 08-22-2018 at 06:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 238 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Cleaned up the tailgate last night. It used to have a bunch of stickers on it, but they where all starting to get faded and I decided did not like em anymore, so back to just the one.
I know this is not a 78/79 gate but it is surprisingly nice shape considering what most of the rest of it looked/looks like today.

A re-paint is in order soon, maybe next year. Thinking about changing it up. Always like desert camo, but I like the way these look in new Holland blue too. Its been olive drab before according to a few of the scratches, but always black when I have owned it.

Street Queen '92: 400hp/400ft-lb Roller 351W Built by Me, C6 Swap, 9" Swap, Corbeau Seats, Desert Bumpers, 4.10s, 33s
Sleeper Build '78: 2.5" Bypass Shocks, Deaver Springs, Full Roll Cage, Spool, 460, Hydro-Boost Brakes, Modded Duff Arms, Broader C6, Rust
post #63 of 238 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Just playing around in the back yard

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 238 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

More goodies for the front end of the 78 came today

Nothing against the Warns that I have ran, these are for sure a bit heavier duty looking though.

post #65 of 238 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Deposit send for a Broader Wide Ratio C6 for the 78. 6/8 Weeks but at least I know this one will be a good one.

post #66 of 238 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Very observant eyes may have noticed something not quite right on those Yukon hubs. You would be right as I got them to fit these

Orange boots Also the yukons will fit the 30 spline outers that the RCV's use.

post #67 of 238 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Kind of bronco related. It tows the bronco. Since waiting on more parts to start working on either bronco decided to fix the Excursion.

Pretty basic rust repair, easy on this and the panels fit good from JBG. Its work truck so no filler needed, plus the door hides it anyways so non issue to me.

Also shipped out my long C6 output shaft to Broader Performance so they can get started on the 78's trans and Converter. Much better experience with Broader so far, no complaints there. I am just hoping for better luck then the other one I had built.
BikerPepe` likes this.

Last edited by CrazyBRONCOguy; 09-14-2018 at 07:26 AM.
post #68 of 238 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Broader started on my Trans Yesterday.

Also the '92 Bronco got 3rd at the Work car Show. Its for united way week so I put something in every year. Did not expect that at all due to some other trucks there I thought where more deserving.

post #69 of 238 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Got the 78 back today. I think I am more or less done with cage part of this build now.

Side bed rail bar, I really like this on the Solo cage so I stole the idea. We also added in the diagonal bar. This should have been a part of this one all along

Seat bar / shoulder bar. This made the most sense or ease of access vs doing something. It is clamped at end you cant see so the front section is still removable. Also the lower dash bar. It looks like it sticks out far but I wanted to make sure real padding fit there, it does. It is surprisingly away from your legs.

Also notice the extra seat belt shoulder strap bar, this one is actually in the right spot at my shoulders. That was an opps on the original. Yes I know the belts are not installed yet
This is still patiently waiting, barred it over tonight so snagged a pic as I did not realize there was no longer one in the thread. I do have the rockers off as so to not stress the springs.

Got rear of cage painted and re-installed most of my crap into the back tonight too.

post #70 of 238 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Thanks on engine guys, I likely spent too much time making it pretty as hopefully if will be dirty here soon, dirty from mud n stuff, not just blah road dirt

There is for sure a bunch of tube in the bronco now. I can see why Solo gets price they do for their Race and Pre-runner cages, and mine is not really up to that spec, though I do not doubt its ability either.
I am thinking about adding gussets to connect the rear diagonal to the tub side bar, but that is about the only thing I may add now.
The front lower bar will get a console built coming off of it eventually.
Random pic
BikerPepe` likes this.

Last edited by CrazyBRONCOguy; 09-25-2018 at 10:22 AM.
post #71 of 238 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

From the work carshow
445 FE Bronco likes this.

post #72 of 238 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Got rest of cage painted and most of the padding put back on. I like it so far.

Plenty of room, good eyes might see how far over (to the passenger side) I am in the seat; this is intentional as it puts me in the center between the steering wheel and gear shifter/pedals.

From the door

I also cut the middle bar pad out for the light to fit threw instead of being 2 pieces like it was before, I like this a lot better.

The light is magnetic so at least it will move if contact is made. It will still likely leave a mark though.
BikerPepe` and biggum like this.

post #73 of 238 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Old front bar heim

It rusted on the inside of the tube so was stuck once I tried to take it out.
New threaded insert installed

New front bushing mount and shackles, the chassisunlimited stuff is good stuff. Everything fit together as I thought it should.

I will move the front heim joint out a bit, its bottom out in adjustment there at the moment, I think I can get the shackle closer without having it hit at full droop. Though I think it is likely fine where its at too. Few minor details to finish up tonight and I'll take it for a spin and see how it does

Last edited by CrazyBRONCOguy; 10-05-2018 at 06:14 AM.
post #74 of 238 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

The most correct way to mount this is with the antiwrap bar end above the frame side mount, so the shackle is always in tension. I agree 100% with that, it was an oversight on my original install. Not wanting to change the brackets and such, this was an OK solution for now. I would need complete new bar and axle mounts, and cross-member to change it again. Long term goal but for now this is better then what I had. Everything is loosely bolted in mine in that pic, it needs adjusted for a better angle.
EDIT:: To the above point the Duff bar on the 92 bronco is mounted as so the frame side mount is lower. This is a better approach

I have seen the other style of bar you are describing, but none of them looked like they would last long in the mud to me, however all the ones I have seen like that where on street applications too as in I have not yet seen a more offroad oriented one.

... As a side note, you should post your build sometime so we can all pick it apart ( I mean that in the best way possible, its fine your asking these questions on mine) Discussion is good
Hillbilly Heaven likes this.

Last edited by CrazyBRONCOguy; 10-05-2018 at 09:09 AM.
post #75 of 238 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Finished up the bar install, works just like my old one only this one does not make noise. Right or wrong on how its working.

Finished up the cage final details too, I may end up building some more off of these in the future. Really need to decide how much I like this body before going much further, I like these kick panel add-ons. Thinking about making a speaker pod which fits in them for up front.

Had the passenger seat out to move the belts around for a better fit for passengers (stock belt spot too tight on the hips with these seats) so got a better picture of the new seat harness bars, at same time also re-attached the belts for that side.

Thinking about adding a floor bar to the main hoop. I kind of like the way the stacked bars look even though its kind of wasteful.
Also looking at getting a few of these
https://www.prpseats.com/product/truss-bag/
Quader1 likes this.

Last edited by CrazyBRONCOguy; 10-06-2018 at 09:44 AM.
post #76 of 238 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

My other axle got a hair cut.

Much better I think it will work out just fine like this, and it still adds some meat to that thin section on the pass. side near the diff case.

post #77 of 238 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

The additions to the cage made a huge difference in NVH in the 78 as did the anti-wrap bar mount. It drives the best going down the road it ever has since I have owned it right now.

Anybody else go to work topless today?
79BroncoSpringTx likes this.

post #78 of 238 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

So the distributor vacuum advance is now fubar on the 460 in the Bronco. On the way home from work I ran into a heating up issue due to it applying too much advance. For now that is disconnected and no more issues, it actually runs a little better I think after a base timing reset. I have a new distributor ready to go in, though it maybe the trigger that starts the engine swap sooner... The D2VE Heads that the current 460 has on it do not help this issue at all, glad I have a set of d3ve's waiting to go on it.
Anti-wrap bar works great, have not had any issues with the new front setup. Makes no noise as compared to all kinds with the old shackle and rod ends.

post #79 of 238 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Picked up axle from getting de-trussed. Had Circle S cut it down for me as the upper truss was 1/2" thick in spots and I do not have anything that will cut that quickly. Anyways, much better now
Before

after

Nice big pads for bump stops

Circle S also has a CNC Plasma table, so I had them cut some slots in my stainless skid plate for the front of the 92, I like how it turned out.

Little different layout then what Desolate made for me.
BikerPepe` likes this.

post #80 of 238 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Ford Hoarder

Checking things at almost full travel, maybe not the best way to check but I have seen worse too.

Looking at doing a 1350 series rear shaft, looks like I am going to need the 30 degree version, the 1310 CV barely has enough in it now.

Last edited by CrazyBRONCOguy; 10-17-2018 at 07:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode