It was time to send all the chrome to the stripping/painting company, so I tried to take off the trim. The tool in this picture I bought at advance auto--it made the job pretty doable. THEN however, I remembered my windshield leaks pretty bad in the rainy season, so I thought i would try to remove it and get the seal replaced... unfortunately, I cracked the windshield. I sourced it here in vagina beach for $140.
ws in place.jpg
I tried to scavenge the clips on the bottom, but ended up breaking two. Still trying to source. For more details, see the windshield citing in the very beginning of post #1.
Look closely at the pic below. That is >19y (that i have owned it) of muck build up.
temp hd3 510.jpg
Trying to remove the windshield proved difficult. Through trial and error, using 50# picture frame wire, I was able to get the seal cut. There are a few products out there, that make it look easier IMO. All that said, I still managed to destroy the W/S. Perhaps it was due to the pre-existing crack.
WS seal goo, in place.jpg
A little a$$ pain, a lot of sweat later, and the black goo is mostly gone. At first, I began trying to just wire wheel it out.. Big mistake! it just gummed up my wire wheels. So, turning up the temp in the garage to ~80F, about 1.5h and a putty knife got the vast majority of the goo off. In fact, there was so little left (turned temp back down to 50) i was able to wire wheel the last remnants off and see shiny metal :}
WS seal goo.jpg
When all is said and done, I removed it, to fix the leak.. .. there was not significant rust metal under the goo. So either the sealant was failing, or the leak originates elsewhere. Time to start looking.
At the mating surface for the gasket goo (under where all the black goo was) there were a few spots that i felt were rotting. Here are some pics of fixing one:
ws rot opened up.jpg
Old rot cut out and cleaned up:
ws rot cleaned.jpg
New metal in place and primed:
Meh, got to max of 7 pics, but rest assured, the metal looks nice. i used 16 ga (yes a bit thick, but its what i had). It smoothed in well.
Of note, after a discussion with Audra, I think I will NOT be using POR15/RB on the WS mating surface. Apparently, the motion/ vibration of the WS makes the POR/RB not stick so well.. I shall instead treat it like all other body metal and hi-build primer it.